Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

James Gunn posted some worries on his facebook about the only thing that movie execs are going to take from this lesson is "Raunchy Superhero Movie".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

zoux posted:

James Gunn posted some worries on his facebook about the only thing that movie execs are going to take from this lesson is "Raunchy Superhero Movie".

His worries are valid. That's what Execs do is take something successful and run it into the ground/exploit it. I'm just as worried about them horning in on production of the sequel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I really would prefer what they take away is "a lower-budget but heartfelt movie can still do well" but what they're gonna take away is "wouldn't it be great if Groot impaled a dude while shouting I AM loving GROOT."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I really would prefer what they take away is "a lower-budget but heartfelt movie can still do well"

They will absolutely never take that away from any success, just like a movie starring women being a smash will always seem like a fluke to them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lower budget but heartfelt and most importantly starring a massively popular property.

Let's not forget that last part.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I really would prefer what they take away is "a lower-budget but heartfelt movie can still do well" but what they're gonna take away is "wouldn't it be great if Groot impaled a dude while shouting I AM loving GROOT."

But that WOULD be great

Also Groot impaled like 5 dudes (at the same time!)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I really wouldn't mind that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Comfortador posted:

His worries are valid. That's what Execs do is take something successful and run it into the ground/exploit it. I'm just as worried about them horning in on production of the sequel.

Here's the full thing.

quote:

"The film has a self-deprecating tone that’s riotous. It’s never been done before. It’s poking fun at Marvel. That label takes itself so seriously, can you imagine them making fun of themselves in a movie? They’d rather stab themselves."

That's a quote from Deadline Hollywood, attributing it to a Hollywood "suit." I love Deadline and get a lot of my film business news from them. And I love Deadpool even more - the film is hilariously funny, has lots of heart, and is exactly what we need right now, taking true risks in spectacle film - but COME THE gently caress ON. That's no reason to rewrite history. This quote has to have been said by the dumbest loving Hollywood exec in the history of dumb loving Hollywood execs.

Let's ignore Guardians for a moment, a movie that survives from moment to moment building itself up and cutting itself down - God knows I'm biased about that one. But what do you think Favreau and Downey did in Iron Man? What the gently caress was Ant-Man??!

Come on, Deadline.

After every movie smashes records people here in Hollywood love to throw out the definitive reasons why the movie was a hit. I saw it happen with Guardians. It "wasn't afraid to be fun" or it "was colorful and funny" etc etc etc. And next thing I know I hear of a hundred film projects being set up "like Guardians," and I start seeing dozens of trailers exactly like the Guardians trailer with a big pop song and a bunch of quips. Ugh.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Deadpool wasn't that. Deadpool was its own thing. THAT'S what people are reacting to. It's original, it's drat good, it was made with love by the filmmakers, and it wasn't afraid to take risks.

For the theatrical experience to survive, spectacle films need to expand their definition of what they can be. They need to be unique and true voices of the filmmakers behind them. They can't just be copying what came before them.

So, over the next few months, if you pay attention to the trades, you'll see Hollywood misunderstanding the lesson they should be learning with Deadpool. They'll be green lighting films "like Deadpool" - but, by that, they won't mean "good and original" but "a raunchy superhero film" or "it breaks the fourth wall." They'll treat you like you're stupid, which is the one thing Deadpool didn't do.

But hopefully in the midst of all this there will be a studio or two that will take the right lesson from this - like Fox did with Guardians by green-lighting Deadpool - and say - "Boy, maybe we can give them something they don't already have."

And that's who is going to succeed.

Have a great day.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Where's the Cannon Films of superhero movies

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Even some of the professional reviewers seem to be completely ignorant of what Deadpool is and taking the wrong message.

The New York Times called Deadpool "The latest addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe" and that it "follows Ant-Man in being a smaller budget success." Variety quoted a Fox executive saying that it heralds in a return of feel good "American Pie-style" gross out comedies.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Variety quoted a Fox executive saying that it heralds in a return of feel good "American Pie-style" gross out comedies.

:stare: Having not seen Deadpool yet I'm not totally qualified to say this but that's like the worst lesson to take away from Deadpool. Unless the movie horribly hosed up, this should not be any reasonable person's thought after seeing the film.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DrProsek posted:

:stare: Having not seen Deadpool yet I'm not totally qualified to say this but that's like the worst lesson to take away from Deadpool. Unless the movie horribly hosed up, this should not be any reasonable person's thought after seeing the film.

That's so precious, you think a Fox exec would have watched the film

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
If spider-man fucks a pie in his movie it will all have been worth it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The correct lesson would be getting people who are actually passionate about the material and let them do what they do best without much studio interference.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

SirDan3k posted:

If spider-man fucks a pie in his movie it will all have been worth it.

The role of Mary-Jane Watson is being played by Lemon Meringue.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Madkal posted:

The correct lesson would be getting people who are actually passionate about the material and let them do what they do best without much studio interference.

Then the higher up execs wouldn't feel like they're doing their jobs and/or won't leave their mark on their work.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Comfortador posted:

Remember how after the success of Dark knight we got darker/ grittier versions of Superman, Spider-man and the Fantastic 4?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Amazing Spider-Man movies were darker and grittier than the Raimi movies in the same way The Real Ghostbusters was darker and grittier than the Ghostbusters that had a gorilla in it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Madkal posted:

Fox Exec: I'm sorry, I can't understand what you just said. It sounded like cha-ching crossed with a slot machine payout.

There are rumblings of "The sky is falling" from the DC side.
http://www.theweek.co.uk/61058/batman-v-superman-is-warner-preparing-for-a-super-sized-flop

Apparently, "early viewings haven't been received as positively as the studio hoped." It goes on, from a Mr. Weeny

TheWeenmeister posted:

If the film does not turn out to be a smash, it could affect Warner Bros superhero release schedule, with next year's planned Justice League: Part One being hit in favour of a solo Batman film.

"My guess is what's going to happen based on what I'm hearing… is Justice League is going to get moved back and that Ben Affleck Batman movie, that's what's going to end up in that spot," McWeeny said.

He continued: "My guess is they're going to throw whatever money it takes at Ben Affleck to make that Batman film happen sooner rather than later. They're going to need to rebuild again, they're going to need to win people over, [and] they're going to need to lay some different groundwork. I don't think this is going to be the springboard into the Justice League that they wanted it to be."

According to those who have seen Dawn of Justice, the two standouts of the film are Affleck as Batman and Jesse Eisenberg, who is "great" as Lex Luthor, McWeeny says.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ugh that's no good at all. And that new Batman movie will be another Batman Vs Joker movie, I just know it. At this point, I'm just sick of the Joker, give me any other Batman villain other than him because the Joker at his point is just obnoxious.
I'm still holding out hope that BvS is good enough to let the DCCU grow beyond more Batman stuff, becuase it just can't seem to do that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh that's no good at all. And that new Batman movie will be another Batman Vs Joker movie, I just know it. At this point, I'm just sick of the Joker, give me any other Batman villain other than him because the Joker at his point is just obnoxious.
"Hey fellow WB exec, the Joker is like that Deadspool guy, right?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So how plugged in is this rando from hitfix.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

twistedmentat posted:

I'm still holding out hope that BvS is good enough to let the DCCU grow beyond more Batman stuff, becuase it just can't seem to do that.

The best hope for that would be Wonder Woman doing well, wouldn't it?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I am trying to think of a Batman villain that would make me less interested in a Batman movie than Joker at this point. All I got is Joe Chill, and even then you could still do a cool movie about Batman finding his parents killer, trying to unravel the conspiracy only to find out that it was just a guy robbing some rich folks, wrong place wrong time. It would be anticlimactic as gently caress but that moment where the audience and Batman realize together that this whole goose chase was just to find a regular run of the mill mugger would be priceless.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 17, 2016

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm thinking of that old joke (from before Batman and Robin was released) that the next movie would have to use King Tut and Maxie Zeus.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice will do just great even if it's not as good as it could be. I don't think there's much validity to that report. The fact that the report praises Eisenberg's Lex Luthor is enough for me to find the rest suspect. I'm expecting him and Doomsday to be kind of crappy but the rest looks good.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

twistedmentat posted:

DrProsek posted:

I am trying to think of a Batman villain that would make me less interested in a Batman movie than Joker at this point.

Scarface? Ten-Eyed-Man? Crazy Quilt? Kite Man? Calendar Man? Zebra Man? Killer Moth? Cluemaster, aka, Discount Riddler?

It's Batman. There is always more, and it is always worse.

E: I take it back. Scarface could be really interesting, but it would take a better writer than me to make it work.. But, if you want to hate yourself Jeff Dunham as The Ventriloquist

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

CzarChasm posted:

Scarface? Ten-Eyed-Man? Crazy Quilt? Kite Man? Calendar Man? Zebra Man? Killer Moth? Cluemaster, aka, Discount Riddler?

E: I take it back. Scarface could be really interesting, but it would take a better writer than me to make it work.. But, if you want to hate yourself Jeff Dunham as The Ventriloquist

For some reason Zebra Man was the only one I didn't believe was real and

quote:

whose body is irradiated granting him "magnetic" powers to attract or repel metal, wood, stone, and human flesh turns to crime as the Zebra-Man.

What do any of those have to do with each other? :psyduck:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

So does marvel own the movie rights to Miracle/Marvelman?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

:colbert: Cluemaster would let the movies introduce Stephanie Brown, Killer Moth and Ten Eyed Man could make decent henchmen/minor villains, Crazy Quilt just needs a new name and he could be DC knock off Purple Man.

Okay fair point that DC does have worse villains, but Joker is still poo poo-tier to me.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Zombies are in, make the villains Thomas and Martha Wayne and he has to kill them again while crying.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

zoux posted:

So how plugged in is this rando from hitfix.

Dude's been actively campaigning against WB and DC's endeavors for a while now. He's the same guy who wrote about DC's "no joke policy" rumor bullshit. I just think he doesn't like the idea of WB/DC pushing hard to make a teamup movie like most people.

[edit]

CzarChasm posted:

Jason Todd/Red Hood could be interesting for the solo Batman movie, depending on how much they play up Todd's death in BvS.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 17, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

At some point someone has to.put together some kind of data set that tracks how accurate these rumormongers are. Like, what are BC and LR's hit/miss rates?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Back when Dark Knight Rises was first announced, I really wanted the villain to be Deadshot -- not just because he's one of my favorite characters (which he is, although we'll see what Will Smith does with him), but because he first appeared pretending to be a hero, but instead was murdering his underworld rivals. After the downer ending of The Dark Knight, I thought it would be cool to see Gotham embrace a more flamboyant and violent vigilante, who would then turn the city against Batman even more before he was revealed as the real bad guy.

Either that, or an adaptation of Matt Wagner's first Batman/Grendel story, with Hunter Rose as a distorted mirror image of Bruce Wayne -- another man who was naturally gifted at everything, who raised himself to become so far beyond most men, but became an assassin and a crime lord out of boredom and amorality instead of becoming a hero out of survivor's guilt and social responsibility. And then Bruce and Hunter would travel in the same high society circles (old money playboy meets new money darling of the literary scene) while facing off against each other at night.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

teagone posted:

Dude's been actively campaigning against WB and DC's endeavors for a while now. He's the same guy who wrote about DC's "no joke policy" rumor bullshit. I just think he doesn't like the idea of WB/DC pushing hard to make a teamup movie like most people.

[edit]

Jason Todd/Red Hood could be interesting for the solo Batman movie, depending on how much they play up Todd's death in BvS.

The rumor mill is churning that the solo Batfleck will be a loose adaptation of Under the Hood. Which could be alright.

My personal pick for a villain would be forgettable 90s slasher Cornelius Stirk, who could make other people hallucinate him as various historical figures, and was offed by AzBats to prove he was hardcore. He would mug people and convince them Abraham Lincoln did it. I want to say he disguised himself as Moses or some other religious figure one time.

We can go full Breyfogle era and have Batman's mute hunchback Harold build all his gadgets.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

teagone posted:

He gave Man of Steel a good review, which led some to believe he's upset that the sequel is a Batman crossover and wants WB to change their plans do that there will be more Superman movies sooner. He actually said later that the thing about WB changing their movie schedule is entirely his own speculation.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

zoux posted:

At some point someone has to.put together some kind of data set that tracks how accurate these rumormongers are. Like, what are BC and LR's hit/miss rates?

Latino Review is 100% bullshit and anyone that posts anything from them is a moron.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I thought there was a very long period of time for a couple of years where Latino Review was actually getting far more accurate scoops than other movie sites, though. Is it sort of the thing that as sites like that get more popular, there are an increasing number of people who are submitting fake scoops to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mycot posted:

The best hope for that would be Wonder Woman doing well, wouldn't it?

Exactly. I'm just worried the WW1 setting may not resonate with people who are pretty much conditioned to think the only war worth seeing is WW2.

And Under the Hood story would be good, especially if it builds on what they seem to be implying in BvS. Though I'm worried that it will feature mostly Joker and Harle action, with only the barest hint of Jason Todd.

Actually, Smith Deadshot vs Affleck Batman would be pretty cool.

• Locked thread