Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If I were a waiter and some kid came up with a giant jar of pennies to try and pay, I might pay for their meal just to save me the time of counting out all that change. I'm picturing a scene like in Seinfeld when Kramer shows up with a shitload of pennies to buy calzones. I mean it's not unbelievable that the basic premise of the story may have happened, but all the crying and people being so "touched" is almost certainly either completely made up or heavily embellished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Murphy Brownback posted:

If I were a waiter and some kid came up with a giant jar of pennies to try and pay, I might pay for their meal just to save me the time of counting out all that change. I'm picturing a scene like in Seinfeld when Kramer shows up with a shitload of pennies to buy calzones. I mean it's not unbelievable that the basic premise of the story may have happened, but all the crying and people being so "touched" is almost certainly either completely made up or heavily embellished.

There is a thing circled at the bottom of the receipt that says #pizzaexpressmoments - a promo where if you tweet a 'moment' you had at Pizza Express and if they like it you get free stuff. I wonder if that is what is happening here, she is reverse engineering herself a free pizza.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

The review mirror.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

moerketid posted:

The review mirror.

Well yeah, a movie review is looking back on a movie you watched, just like a review mirror is for looking back into the backseat and behind your car. Didn't they teach you anything :smug:

:negative:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Funny thing is that any place that deals with baking on a commercial scale probably has some good scales, so all they need to do is toss the penny container on one. Coins have standard wieights, so they can get an accurate-ish count in seconds. Maybe not accurate enough for exact pricing, but certainly enough to know if the amount is good enough for a $30 vs a $50 ticket

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
In the UK you can't* pay more than a certain amount using coins. E.g., you can't use more than 100 5p coins in a single transaction, and 1 and 2 penny coins can only be used if you are paying for something costing 20p or less.

\/\/\/ *you're not supposed to

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 14:15 on Feb 16, 2016

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
No, in the UK you can pay for anything with anything someone else will accept in return.

You're totally supposed to be able to.

FAROOQ has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Feb 16, 2016

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Paladinus posted:

In the UK you can't pay more than a certain amount using coins. E.g., you can't use more than 100 5p coins in a single transaction, and 1 and 2 penny coins can only be used if you are paying for something costing 20p or less.

Same in Australia. Each coin is no longer legal tender above a certain transaction value, probably similar rates to the UK ones (can't be bothered looking it up). Wait staff at a restaurant or a cashier at a grocery store are well within their legal rights to refuse to let you pay for $100 of food with all small change. Some will scowl and do it anyway if they have nothing better to do on a slow day, most will politely tell you not to try that poo poo. I can't imagine it's any different in the US.

As a side note, self checkout terminals at grocery stores are really good for getting rid of coins. Chuck a handful of shrapnel in the slot when it comes time to pay and it'll take exactly what it needs and give you the rest as change.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

FAROOQ posted:

No, in the UK you can pay for anything with anything someone else will accept in return.

"Sir, can you make change for three Motley Crue CDs and an avocado pit?"

"Of course." *hands you a small porcelain kitten figurine*

Also, to chime in about how we handle the jar o' pennies here in Freedomland, just about anybody is free to deny a form of payment they don't want. People stamp their feet and yell "NO IT IS LEGAL TENDER AND YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT" but you can totally turn away the guy trying to pay for a whole cart of groceries with a barrel of pennies.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Khazar-khum posted:

Heroes

The Doctor

Fedora

tvtropes attracts the weirdest people

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Same in Australia. Each coin is no longer legal tender above a certain transaction value, probably similar rates to the UK ones (can't be bothered looking it up). Wait staff at a restaurant or a cashier at a grocery store are well within their legal rights to refuse to let you pay for $100 of food with all small change. Some will scowl and do it anyway if they have nothing better to do on a slow day, most will politely tell you not to try that poo poo. I can't imagine it's any different in the US.

As a side note, self checkout terminals at grocery stores are really good for getting rid of coins. Chuck a handful of shrapnel in the slot when it comes time to pay and it'll take exactly what it needs and give you the rest as change.

As someone who worked in a small corner shop in their teenaged years where people would buy one pack of $1 gum with a 50 just to split it without being rude or refused; I would have loved for someone to buy $100 stuff with coins would have filled our change drawer for at least 2 days.

The issue was we had an ATM right outside so every purchase was made in $20 or $50 notes. It wasn't uncommon to run out of one dollar coins or twenty-,fifty-cent pieces. After the breakfast crowd alone.

Gridlocked has a new favorite as of 15:20 on Feb 16, 2016

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Ah yes the reliable "story a friend says a guy told him"

Gridlocked posted:

tvtropes attracts the weirdest people

That's cause it's made by the weirdest people, for themselves.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

He's a great guy. I FWDed on an email from him and he paid me a dollar for each address I sent it to!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

If I had Bill Gates money, I would totally do poo poo like that because no one would ever believe them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

All true but the last part. Apparently Bill Gates is a notoriously lousy tipper.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Geniasis posted:

All true but the last part. Apparently Bill Gates is a notoriously lousy tipper.

Nah, it's just an urban myth. Stories like that fly fast and furious every time a rich person is in the news. You could easily substitute Gates with Carlos Slim/Steve Jobs/Donald Trump/Warren Buffet/Mark Zuckerberg/George Soros/any Walton/etc. In all likelihood, they are probably pretty generous tippers when the situation calls for it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Rondette posted:

poo poo that sounds like it shouldn't have happened, and probably didn't. The article I found this on doesn't have any direct links to anything or one other than the original FB post.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/se...ml?sf20996336=1

Congrats on being single or whatever I guess, lady

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I was a bartender for Gates and he didn't even tip me a measly 10k for his ginger ale :mad:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I know this goober on Facebook who is a valet. One night he took a bunch of photos of him parking a Bentley and said it belonged to a MLB star whose name I can't remember.

A few hours later he whines that he only for a $10 tip, and that he knows the guy can totally afford more on $13M/yr. It was so pathetic, because a $10 tip for driving a really nice car 30 yards and back seems reasonable, but I guess in this guy's mind a tip should be a certain percentage of your income or something.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
Whats his position on taxes?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Rondette posted:

poo poo that sounds like it shouldn't have happened, and probably didn't. The article I found this on doesn't have any direct links to anything or one other than the original FB post.

This is close to me, sounds like newton abbot though. As in not paying for a meal and walking out

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

A happy ending, at least

If they're so great, how could he hear the cop?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I read the last part of the little girl's quote as a mispronounced "cucked" and thought gbs was leaking again

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

I know this goober on Facebook who is a valet. One night he took a bunch of photos of him parking a Bentley and said it belonged to a MLB star whose name I can't remember.

A few hours later he whines that he only for a $10 tip, and that he knows the guy can totally afford more on $13M/yr. It was so pathetic, because a $10 tip for driving a really nice car 30 yards and back seems reasonable, but I guess in this guy's mind a tip should be a certain percentage of your income or something.

I was a valet for several years in college. Anything more than $2-3 is bonus and usually it was only $1-2, $10 is hitting the jackpot. Your friend is a dick.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Foreplay

quote:

This troper once sort of got distracted away from what he was doing. Which was foreplay.

Fly

quote:

This troper actually stopped in the middle of the PSAT to watch a fly that had landed on her desk. When outside, she has also been known to interrupt friends mid-sentance with "Butterfly!", then chasing said butterfly until she gets tired (which, fortunately for friends, does not take long).
This troper has, during a standardised test, gotten bored and began to write the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone from memory onto the desk. This troper maintains that if a fly landed on her desk, she wouldn't just watch it, she would play with it.

Fanfiction

quote:

This troper's brother has this. I'm also guilty of it on my Kaitou days. On my Tantei days, I end up the Deadpan Snarker. This troper has also been known to be reading a fanfiction, then having a brainwave and start writing about tropes. This is occuring right now. Yes, I named my dual sides Tantei (dominant) and Kaitou (subordinant). But I'm neither a Detective or Phantom Thief.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

This person is literally a waste of oxygen if they have reread a children's chapter book enough times to have it memorized word for word.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I loving hate tropers so much.

I have to wonder, are they like this because they're bullied, or are they bullied because they're like this?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Jay Rust posted:

I loving hate tropers so much.

I have to wonder, are they like this because they're bullied, or are they bullied because they're like this?

It's a vicious cycle. I think they're like that, so they get bullied, which leads to them being more like that, which leads to more bullying.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Rondette posted:

Wasn't there a post a few months back that was pretty much this except without the Valentine's Day aspect? I recall a woman posting a picture of her kid holding a wallet and claiming she taught him to respect women by making him pay for her lunches, or something like that.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Kay Kessler posted:

Wasn't there a post a few months back that was pretty much this except without the Valentine's Day aspect? I recall a woman posting a picture of her kid holding a wallet and claiming she taught him to respect women by making him pay for her lunches, or something like that.

She even looks like the lady from that post, at least from what I remember.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

A troper "having a brainwave." Pure, unadulterated poo poo that didn't happen.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I want this on my tombstone

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

cash crab posted:

I want this on my tombstone

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

There’s this theme park that me and my brother with season passes love to visit (we both have Downs)

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=8746241&cid=51507781

quote:

There was a disturbing encounter I had once with police and another person who overheard a conversation where I was talking about not owning a cell phone. "If you see suspicious activity, report it." resulted in this person calling the cops. The cops showed up and started questioning me on my I wasn't carrying my cell. Apparently they didn't get the complete gist of it. I don't even own a cell phone. When I told them that it took them by surprise and they got really suspicious of my intent. They thought because I wasn't carrying a tracking device I must be up to no good. I must be berrying a body, planning some terrorist attack, or something. They basically left me alone because they didn't really have anything to arrest me on. They basically said there was a loophole in the law-else they'd have arrested me. Not because they thought I was actually a terrorist or committing a crime. But because they thought it should be a crime not to have or carry a cell phone!!!!

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Kay Kessler posted:

That was by a former reality TV star from 16 and pregnant. But yeah both are in the same style so I wouldn't be too surprised if the valentines day one was inspired as there were a few inspiring "mommy blogs" posts gone horribly wrong in the last STDH thread.

At least someone in the comments gets he feeling something is up and calls out the fact there's some serious emotional issues going on here if the son feel he has to protect his mother at such a young age or the fact his mum is using him as an emotional crutch because she's single on valentines day.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

tacodaemon posted:

berrying a body,

:biotruths: ??

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

King Arthur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Rondette posted:

Buster Bluth: The Early Years

• Locked thread