Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I don't think it would make any kind of sense for AJ to switch off a Martin fight to go for Fury. Martin's an easier fight and Fury's always going to be there for him. A unification fight between two british heavyweight champs will entertain 80,000 froch fans anytime and there's no need to rush. Similarly, it's too soon for Haye and there's no real reason to fight Haye and they legitimately don't like each other so a surprise announcement would be weird.

Povetkin-Wilder negotiations are apparently underway. It's hard to believe a Wilder-Fury fight would happen right now since they both have mandatories to take care of.

The biggest hitch in any of the above names is Wlad. I think it would be really unlikely for him to just give up on enforcing his rematch without some kind of catch.

Vitali stepping into the ring as the 44 year old mayor of Kiev to avenge his brother's loss of world Heavyweight champion is a ridiculous image, but is also exactly the type of event that would happen in the wonderful world of boxing.

There's another theory: Fury's not talking about one of his own fights but instead s fight for Hughie Fury against Jospeh Parker or something.

And the last option, Fury's just loving around and is going to announce a fight with Wlad or announce nothing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

apparently arum has said lomachenko vs walters is on

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

That is a cool and good fight but I think i'd still go with Lomachenko.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

martin vs joshua has been signed for april 9th

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think Martin's got a shot honestly. This is a good matchup and both guys have a lot to lose, Martin's got the most to gain though.

I'll root for Martin all the way, but I think AJ is the favourite.

E: disclaimer I've got a huge bias for martin because I made a good bet in the fight against glazkov and he can do no wrong for me now

Jump King fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 14, 2016

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

It's a good fight and strangely risky on paper for Hearn's golden goose.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Lionel Richie posted:

It's a good fight and strangely risky on paper for Hearn's golden goose.

Any more risky than a Carlos Takam, Tony Thompson or Pulev? I feel like that's the level of competition we're expecting from AJ anyways. The fact Martin stumbled into a belt , while important in that Hearn can add "world champion" to the marquee sooner than expected is largely irrelevant to the quality of Martin as an opponent.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Getting a belt ups your power level

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

With so many links to fights I never got a chance to catch up on, I've been stuck in the old thread until just now, when I surrendered to the fact that they'll go unwatched for now.

Two things to note:

• that photo of JCC Jr. in the OP is seriously goon.jpg
  • Canelo-Khan? What the gently caress? I figured Khan had just gone ahead and retired at this point. That's gonna be a bloodbath. I doubt it goes the distance, even.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So I know almost gently caress-all about boxing. The OP has some suggestions on getting started but my favorite fighters are from the 90s because I haven't had regular access to fights on TV since I was a kid. I loved Roy Jones Jr. for his ridiculous speed and knockouts that came from nowhere. Naseem Hamed was fun for all the dodging and showboating even if he seemed like he just destroyed schlubs and folded at the first sign of a credible fighter. So I guess I like fast guys. I like evasive guys. I like when I can watch a match and understand the "story" that's going on, like when it's really clear so and so has the reach advantage so the other guy needs to get inside or whatever other narrative anchor there is that gives me a context to follow and understand. Any suggestions for quality matches from what I'm sure is a pretty weak set of criteria?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

rigondeaux vs donaire, martinez vs pavlik and paul williams, hopkins vs pavlik, pacquiao vs margarito are decent examples of evasive/fast fighters overcoming some kind of obstacle

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

If you would like a story, Gatti/Ward I does a pretty decent job of explaining what each fighter needs to do to win. It also has moments where both fighters see their plan unfold a bit, including some evasiveness from Gatti. Minor bonus that it is one of the better fights of that decade.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Get excited for Khan to fight Canelo if you like fast guys fighting opposition (but only if you're ok with seeing them get knocked out as well)

You probably already know that Mayweather is the most evasive fighter in recent memory. His first fight with Maidana was the most recent one where he was in some type of danger. I haven't seen his old fights from before he damaged his hands but a lot of people think they were better.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/MBoulayJDM/status/699325923666083841

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Get excited for Khan to fight Canelo if you like fast guys fighting opposition (but only if you're ok with seeing them get knocked out as well)

You probably already know that Mayweather is the most evasive fighter in recent memory. His first fight with Maidana was the most recent one where he was in some type of danger. I haven't seen his old fights from before he damaged his hands but a lot of people think they were better.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/MBoulayJDM/status/699325923666083841

Please happen. Old Man Hopkins somehow embarrassing him would be amazing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Any suggestions for quality matches from what I'm sure is a pretty weak set of criteria?

My personal favorite for 'stlyes make fights' is Ali Frazier 1. Frazier has to climb a mountain to throw a punch and and Ali is in a boxing bullet hell.

Edit: to expand on the narrative, Frazier has to move forward and close the distance before he can punch, but he's the more dangerous fighter once they're toe to toe, while Ali has to keep his distance while still barraging Frazier with hard combinations. After they've been toe to toe for a few seconds the referee separates them and it starts over.

And they both have different but excellent ways to defend : Ali with reach and (for him) conservative footwork and Frazier with his rolling upper body movement that he weaves into his counter left hooks. Now I'm watching the fight again. :)

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 16, 2016

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Does Hopkins have a plan to die in the ring or why is he still trying to make fights at his age?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So I know almost gently caress-all about boxing. The OP has some suggestions on getting started but my favorite fighters are from the 90s because I haven't had regular access to fights on TV since I was a kid. I loved Roy Jones Jr. for his ridiculous speed and knockouts that came from nowhere. Naseem Hamed was fun for all the dodging and showboating even if he seemed like he just destroyed schlubs and folded at the first sign of a credible fighter. So I guess I like fast guys. I like evasive guys. I like when I can watch a match and understand the "story" that's going on, like when it's really clear so and so has the reach advantage so the other guy needs to get inside or whatever other narrative anchor there is that gives me a context to follow and understand. Any suggestions for quality matches from what I'm sure is a pretty weak set of criteria?

I'm gonna take your question on face value, and assume you just want clear narrative fights, instead of back and forths that just kind of blur together, or one-sided trouncings.

Any Mayweather fight from 2007-2014 really: dude has to land something with heat on an evasive defensive master, usually with increasing desperation

Gatti/Ward trilogy: the kind of fights that literally get you out of your seat, even watching it years later

and last years fight of the year, Vargas/Miura: another one that'll make you get out of your seat, you can watch the momentum go back and forth

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Worth noting the while Miura-Vargas is awesome, it's about as far from evasive as you get. It's worth a watch no matter what you like though. It's mostly explained in the fight but essentially Miura is the champ, he's a japanese southpaw who doesn't really gently caress around. He can punch hard and he knows it. He goes all out from the opening bell, not really having a defence except an iron chin. Vargas is the challenger, a bit of an unknown but actually regarded as the slight favourite going in. He's fast and just plain good at boxing. He's got good snap to his punches as well. About 1 minute into the fight Vargas pops Miura while Miura's lunging in. For a moment it looks like the fight is about to end but Miura stays on his feet and hits Vargas back. The energy level doesn't ever come down from there.

(full fight)

On the other end of the scale Klitschko-Fury from last year had a clear narrative and showcased great evasiveness, but it's a pretty slow fight to watch. The narrative is the highly skilled but very rigid/orthodox Klitschko is defending his his 4 heavyweight titles from the very talented and awkward Fury. Klitschko is the wide favourite because of his experience, consistency and immense power. The possibility of upset is real though because although Tyson lacks significant power he has amazing movement and is a true wildcard. His strange style and stance switches confuse opponents (https://although)

I'm throwing the fight here if you want to see it, but you might want to save yourself some time and just hit the highlight reel:

(full fight) (fight highlights)

fight spoiler:
Fury clowns the gently caress out of Klitschko with superior movement and dodges. He psyches Klitschko out by feinting and insulting him the whole night and almost as an after thought he gets hit and run jabs against an increasing frustrated and bloody champion

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
I recommend that Gatti-Ward trilogy like everyone else, but then you should watch Mayweather-Gatti afterwards.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I had a link to some great body blow knock out gifs I think I got from one of the older versions of the thread does anyone have the link or can people just post some good body blow knock out gifs

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--Speaking of I remember someone linking a Marco Antonio Barrera fight where the guy he was fighting just completely gave up on guarding his face because his body was hit so much, anyone know what I'm talking about?

afatwhiteloaf posted:

I recommend that Gatti-Ward trilogy like everyone else, but then you should watch Mayweather-Gatti afterwards.

I mean, in no universe does Gatti hang with Mayweather so you're right there. But even so this is somewhat akin to telling someone to watch the Ali/Frazier trilogy and then watch Ali fight Larry Holmes, Gatti was not the same guy by the time he fought Floyd.

e: Nehru you also might want to check out some Pernell Whitaker if you like evasiveness, he went about it in a different way than Floyd does but when he was on it seemed like he was just as unhittable.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 17, 2016

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

Jose posted:

I had a link to some great body blow knock out gifs I think I got from one of the older versions of the thread does anyone have the link or can people just post some good body blow knock out gifs

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That first one is especially great.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

^^--Speaking of I remember someone linking a Marco Antonio Barrera fight where the guy he was fighting just completely gave up on guarding his face because his body was hit so much, anyone know what I'm talking about?

This one maybe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzsMngN0wu0

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Pacquiao's at it again

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Pacquiao's at it again

imagine wanting to be a politician and affect real change in your country but first you have to say a lot of truly terrible poo poo about gays so they'll vote for you

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Animals try and gently caress anything they possibly can anyway it doesn't make sense on any level

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nike already ended their endorsement deal with him over it. Glad to see repercussions coming quicker than last time at least

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Jinkee and Jesus ruined pacquiao

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Here's a CBS article: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nike-cuts-ties-with-manny-pacquiao-after-anti-gay-comments/

Alain Sherter posted:

On his Facebook page, Pacquiao also said he remains against same-sex marriage, while insisting that he is "not condemning" lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. "God Bless you all and I'm praying for you," he wrote.

gently caress you, rear end in a top hat.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Nike cut ties with Manny though so yeah ?

Edit: true as it was when posted like three hours ago. At least our new favorite broken Enlgish fighter still delivers the hits

Boxing Scene posted:

So what is Gennady Golovkin's opinion of the match-up between WBC middleweight belt-holder Saul Alvarez and Amir Khan that is scheduled for May 7th?

"It's not good for sport, boxing. No respect to boxing,"said Golovkin at the Conga Room at LA Live, where a Tuesday press conference was held to formally announce his April 23rd bout versus Dominic Wade at the Forum.

http://www.boxingscene.com/golovkin-on-canelo-vs-khan-not-good-no-respect-boxing--101410

Edit 2: Maybe I'm being pessimistic, and how rich it is for a company like Nike who has no problem outfitting the Saudi Arabian men's soccer team to terminate with Pac, but in the alternate universe where Manny doesn't get koed by Marquez and beats Floyd i bet this doesnt happen

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 18, 2016

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

The SituAsian posted:

Nike cut ties with Manny though so yeah ?

His reaction seemed to demonstrate that he's not going to change one bit.

"I'm praying for you" is one of the most toxic, holier-than-thou things to say surrounding this topic. It's code talk for "hey at least you're going to hell and i don't have to put up with your rear end!!!"

Seriously, if I had a god drat nickel for every time I or an LGBT peer has been told "I'm praying for you". I know Pacquiao being an rear end in a top hat homophobe isn't a secret, but still.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It is really hard to be surprised by those statements when they're coming from a very religious man living in the most conservative catholic country in the world. And that is even before you factor in that this man gets punched in the head for a living.

It is still a really stupid thing to say though.

The Nike thing is just an easy bit of symbolic politics on their end, considering all the other bad things they do.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Today, despite issuing an apology earlier pac posted the following bible quotes on his instagram

quote:

Luke 6:22-23
(22)Blessed are you when people hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man.
(23) “Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their ancestors treated the prophets.

quote:

Leviticus 20:13 'If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads

Basically "haters are my motivators" and "die homo"

Nice to see pac's still trying to build fight hype by turning heel.

E: in sport news, top prospect Errol Spence Jr is going to fight former contender Chris Algeri. That's a well and decent fight, no complaints there.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 18, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Loving this punch more and more every day

To be fair though, even if it wasn't a huge turd getting sparko, it'd still be a total beauty.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i love the way marquez brings his punch back like he's ripping out his spine in mortal kombat

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
My favorite knockout of the last few years, in either boxing or MMA. As a big JMM fan it was so sweet seeing him get such a definitive win considering how the other fights in the series went.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

the overriding narrative of the 4 jmm - pac fights is basically marquez doing better and better. would make a great film with steroid addled bigot manny being the perfect villain now

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I feel like Marquez might not be the guy to rally around if you're going accuse the other guy of being roided

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I've never thought much about Manny Pacquiao's intelligence but even I have trouble believing this isn't an intentional move to drum up some controversy for Pac-Bradley III. Why else would he go back to the homophobia quotes after getting reamed over them all day yesterday?

• Locked thread