Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there any online guides to painting Gundam's. I ordered that IBO Barbato's 1/144 HG kit that seems to be pretty popular and I kind of want it to stand out more. It's my first time building a gunpla model so I'm a little hesitant if it's something that shouldn't be attempted on your first one.

Thanks for the advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Midjack posted:

Each pipe segment must be individually removed from the snug fitting stick it's on and placed on the snug fitting pipe run on the model. It's a lot of hard pinching and twisting of small pieces.

Is there a better zaku II mg out? cuz I have one and it sucks rear end ( I think it's the 2.0?) and it drops poo poo off of it constantly at my desk. It seems silly that the Zaku is such a major machine for the series and has such stupid, fiddly bits.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cmykjester posted:

Are there any online guides to painting Gundam's. I ordered that IBO Barbato's 1/144 HG kit that seems to be pretty popular and I kind of want it to stand out more. It's my first time building a gunpla model so I'm a little hesitant if it's something that shouldn't be attempted on your first one.

Thanks for the advice.

This is everything you could want to know about building a model, from a guy who is extremely good at it. You don't have to do everything it talks about, but it talks about everything you could possibly want to do:

http://funakatown.com/2014/11/download-my-massive-how-to-build-gunpla-guide/

DamnGlitch posted:

Is there a better zaku II mg out? cuz I have one and it sucks rear end ( I think it's the 2.0?) and it drops poo poo off of it constantly at my desk. It seems silly that the Zaku is such a major machine for the series and has such stupid, fiddly bits.

No, there hasn't been a significant revision to the Zaku II since the 2.0.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

It's the shields. :ssh:

Yeah, I know. I don't care. If you're gonna call something "Full Armor", it should be bulky as hell

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I thought the full armor thing was something the japanese messed up on, thinking it meant armament not 'armor'

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Jesus. Christ.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

Each pipe segment must be individually removed from the snug fitting stick it's on and placed on the snug fitting pipe run on the model. It's a lot of hard pinching and twisting of small pieces.

Or just a cocktail toothpick/bamboo skewer, they stay in place with tension and bada bing, sanding is doable.

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, I know. I don't care. If you're gonna call something "Full Armor", it should be bulky as hell

Powered Arms Powereder Full Armor

cmykjester posted:

Thanks for the advice.

If that guide is the big one, that can be intimidating for a first-timer. This is a fairly simplified bit of insight that should be supplemented by checking out some basics on Youtube. One of these days I'll dump my tidbits into a pastebin or something, but if there's one thing I've learned from going about googling my way into Gunpla, it's that there's a LOT of info to take in.

Anyway, my tidbits:

1) ALways prime. Always prime. ALWAYS PRIME. USE PRIMER. USE ANY PRIMER. Any primer and priming when properly done will universally give better results than none. If nothing else, the primer gives a nice bite to the surface so the first coat goes on nicely.

2) Assemble in subcomponents wherever possible. I haven't built the Barbatos yet so I would check out some guides and see if you can get away with building the inner frame first, then do the external parts. If seams require filling, fill them. Assemble and paint in subcomponents.

3) Do your first coat all in one direction of brush strokes. Note that I imply more than one coat. Under no circumstances shall you do handpainting in one coat. Do your first coat in the one direction. Let it dry. If you are using acrylics or lacquers, this will be around 30 minutes. It may be touch dry sooner than that. Your senses can deceive you, don't trust them. Minimum 30 minutes between coats. Next coat goes on at a 90 degree angle.

4) Always thin your paint. 3:1 ratio of paint:thinner. This way when you paint as described in step 3, your brush strokes are nicely covered up.

5) Use a decent hobby brush. The bristles HAVE to be some kind of natural material. You don't have to buy a Windsor-Newton, just a decent quality hobby brush.

6) Always topcoat.

7) Have background music that lets you concentrate. Don't try to watch TV and paint, definitely don't anime and paint unless it's dubbed.

8) Enjoy the fact that you have the chance to focus on the part before you. Get lost in a single task, something that we have no chances to do anymore.

9) :justpost:

MJP fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 16, 2016

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
awesome thanks for the advice.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Yawgmoft posted:

Oh man building Gundams again sure is fun but I'll never be one of those crazy people with some wild backlog yep just a fun hobby oh look a sale from Japan oh well I guess I should get it and why not a few other things you know to pad out the shipping cost and

Someone send help.

You don't need help, you seem to have the hobby covered already!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I like the random cat in the back, he's all like "hey what's up, when do I get to sit on these boxes".

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Droyer posted:

:rip: your fingers when you get to the zaku ii

They've got a Gouf 2.0, too. :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh hi there, abject terror at the scope of a build, I haven't felt you in a while.

Also hello there dusty shelf, I don't notice you very often since you're in a dark corner, let's go and fix you up nice and pretty-like shall we?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh hi there, abject terror at the scope of a build, I haven't felt you in a while.

Also hello there dusty shelf, I don't notice you very often since you're in a dark corner, let's go and fix you up nice and pretty-like shall we?

:swoon: Keep us up to date with progress.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I have an airbrush and assorted other supplies on the way, and I figured while I was picking up some paints I may as well overpay because I love the hobby shop:

I have an RX-78-2 Revive and 2.0 gathering dust, but I've always wanted to do something bigger. There's a lot of runners in here...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Fooley posted:

I have an airbrush and assorted other supplies on the way, and I figured while I was picking up some paints I may as well overpay because I love the hobby shop:

I have an RX-78-2 Revive and 2.0 gathering dust, but I've always wanted to do something bigger. There's a lot of runners in here...

How many is a lot? I'm currently working on a kit with over 50 runners. :v:

Tedious, but fun when I'm in the mood to not think or interact with people.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Fooley posted:

Just a heads up the wing ka looks cool as hell, but it can't hold its rifle at all.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Kibner posted:

How many is a lot? I'm currently working on a kit with over 50 runners. :v:

Tedious, but fun when I'm in the mood to not think or interact with people.

12, which having only done HG's before seems like a lot. Knitting is my main hobby so I'm perfectly fine with tedium.

Monaghan posted:

Just a heads up the wing ka looks cool as hell, but it can't hold its rifle at all.

Is it because of the arm joints, or a bad fit in the hand? I was leaning towards a pose with the beam saber anyway.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fooley posted:

Is it because of the arm joints, or a bad fit in the hand? I was leaning towards a pose with the beam saber anyway.

Both. To make my wing ver. Ka holds the Buster Rifle, I had to superglue it to the hand, and then turn the shoulder joint upside down so the arm couldn't sag due to the weight.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Coworker got me a MG Astray Red Frame and I am intimidated. I've only built two HGs up to this point. Should I knock out a few more HGs before tackling this or jump straight in?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

zelah posted:

Coworker got me a MG Astray Red Frame and I am intimidated. I've only built two HGs up to this point. Should I knock out a few more HGs before tackling this or jump straight in?

MGs aren't harder than HGs, they just take more time. You'll be fine

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Turn A and Turn X look like a good pair of MG kits, but one is eight years older than the other. How much does it show?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The Turn A and Turn X look like a good pair of MG kits, but one is eight years older than the other. How much does it show?

the Turn A is a very good model, still.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

My wing gundam holds it rifle.... You just have to kind cheat and have it pointing upwards instead of straight out

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The MG Turn A is still an insanely good kit even though it's almost a decade old, possibly because the Turn A is the best gundam design on a technical level

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DamnGlitch posted:

My wing gundam holds it rifle.... You just have to kind cheat and have it pointing upwards instead of straight out

That's not an option when you're copying the pose on the 2010 boxart. :colbert:

zelah posted:

Take off your training wheels and build that Astray.

Darth Walrus posted:

N'thing the vote of quality for MG Turn A. It'll compliment the Turn X perfectly.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

The Wing vKa is so bad at holding its Buster Rifle that its most iconic pose with it is it holding it like a staff.

Old MGs were really bad at holding their weapons.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

the mg turn a is fantastic, the only real complaint I have is there's some annoying seam lines on the gun and the head.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Looks as if the MG TRUE wing gundam has no problems holding the rifle

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Basically, the MG Turn A is a testament to how amazing of a mechanical designer Syd Mead is. He applied a practical, more engineering-focused touch to the Turn A, and as a result the MG was basically 5 years more advanced and well-balanced than the other MGs of its time.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DigitalRaven posted:

:swoon: Keep us up to date with progress.

Send help. And there's still ~120 parts to go on this one piece. Looks like it'll be about seven inches longer by the time it's done.

Jesus Christ.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well maybe you should actually help instead of making your MG Zaku do all the work, slave-driver :colbert:.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well maybe you should actually help instead of making your MG Zaku do all the work, slave-driver :colbert:.

"MG Zaku"

uh yeah about that

(MG Exia for scale)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

"MG Zaku"

uh yeah about that

(MG Exia for scale)

I was guessing the scale, okay? :negative:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ka0 posted:

Looks as if the MG TRUE wing gundam has no problems holding the rifle

It absolutely does. The MG redesigned the Wing so its forearm claws now lock onto the rifle to keep it in place. Just look at the MG Rinascita; the claws were moved, so now to hold the buster rifle it has to kinda wedge the grip into an arm guard. It's really awkward and doesn't work nearly as well.

Also the RG Wing vEW is much newer and has zero trouble holding the gun so, you know, get over it.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Trip report: Zeta is assembled! Attaching the wings was a huge pain in the rear end because they use this 3 hinge connector and it was impossible to get any leverage with my fat fingers. I still have to do the detailing/stickers but that shouldn't be nearly as hard. I also need to find some glue for that chest vent.

While messing around posing it I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to adjust the hip joint so I could rotate the legs outwards. Does anyone know where on the hip/leg to do that?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

My wallet. :negative:

(RD Gouf ver. ANIME just got announced.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 17, 2016

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Is that one of those figma alternate hand racks?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

BlitzBlast posted:

Is that one of those figma alternate hand racks?

Yeah. For some reason the A.N.I.M.E. sublime gets handracks.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Zebulon posted:

Yeah. For some reason the A.N.I.M.E. sublime gets handracks.

That's handy! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

"MG Zaku"

uh yeah about that

(MG Exia for scale)

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

If I had more disposable income than I do, I'd pick up everything Mechanicore produces (after buying a second house to put them in). I enjoy this world where I can instead live vicariously through other people's stupidity dedication. Thanks, Aces!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

My wallet. :negative:

(RD Gouf ver. ANIME just got announced.)

For a second, I thought that said "RG Gouf", and was already preparing my wallet for the inevitable P-Bandai Gouf Custom (because 08th MS Team is the best). I can dream...