Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Discendo Vox posted:

I am by no means attempting to start one, but what is a "food purity argument"?

True chili does not contain beans. A burrito does not contain lettuce. Etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Oh my God, I just realised that whirled peas was a pun. I am loving dense.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

therattle posted:

Discendo Vox posted:

I am by no means attempting to start one, but what is a "food purity argument"?

My personal favorite is what goes into a carbonara

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

AnonSpore posted:

Yeah, the thread title Purity: Spaghetti alla Carbonara done properly is the specific example I had in mind.

It's a particularly interesting case of a `purity' argument because the `pure' form of the dish being advocated isn't the one with the greatest historical weight behind it or anything like that---the earliest recorded version of carbonara included lardo, which makes a very different dish than the pancetta called for in the `purity' thread. The recipe being advocated is essentially the one given in Il Cucchiaio D'argento, a popular Italian home cookbook first published in 1950. It records a variant of the dish which became popular during the Allied occupation during the Second World War, apparently due to the easy availability of bacon from US servicemen.

Of course according to the thread if you use bacon you're `hellbent on using the wrong meat' and in fact guanciale is `preferred' and pancetta is merely a `generally acceptable compromise', an evaluation which would be entirely baffling to the cooks whose work the thread's recipe is ostensibly a `pure' recreation of.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Peas don't belong in guacamole :runs:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
one time my idiot roommate was trying to make some sort of peruvian sauce he had at a restaurant and like he couldnt find the recipe for it and he swore up and down if you even asked them at the restaurant they would take it away from you because it was super secret.

but like he found some recipe finally and made it and it was like basically just onion puree like it was like 8 onions blended into onion soup and then a bunch of cliantro and garlic and it was loving the grossest thing any of us had ever eatten but the cilantro made it kinda look like guacamole, so when one of our other roommates who didnt know about it got home and was talking about how hungry he was we told him we had some really good guac that he could have and like. So we just had small bites worth of this on chips and were like this is horrible and the flavor just lingered forever, like just from a tiny bit

anyways so this guy gets two slices of bread and just slathers it on there making a big guac sammy which is weird but im not here to judge, and then he takes a HUGE bite and the loving look on his face when he tasted it and realized it wasnt guac it was disgusting onion slurry was priceless, he got really mad it was sooooooooo funny.

anyways anyone know what kind of sauce he was trying to make?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Salsa de palta (the Peruvian version of guac)? Maybe Salsa criolla, which is basically quick pickled onion?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

taqueso posted:

The only true "cat food" contains "poop", or no true "cat food" contains "poop".

therattle posted:

AnonSpore posted:

OK, thanks- I wasn't sure if it was about food purity regulations, which are about how much poop is legally mandated/allowed in cat food/breakfast cereal/whatever.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Scientastic posted:

Oh my God, I just realised that whirled peas was a pun. I am loving dense.

Hahahah no way. That was over 4 years ago.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I was making dad joke pea puns with my son, and it was like a light bulb pinged on over my head. I was literally speechless for a few minutes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

SubG posted:

Yeah, the thread title Purity: Spaghetti alla Carbonara done properly is the specific example I had in mind.

It's a particularly interesting case of a `purity' argument because the `pure' form of the dish being advocated isn't the one with the greatest historical weight behind it or anything like that---the earliest recorded version of carbonara included lardo, which makes a very different dish than the pancetta called for in the `purity' thread. The recipe being advocated is essentially the one given in Il Cucchiaio D'argento, a popular Italian home cookbook first published in 1950. It records a variant of the dish which became popular during the Allied occupation during the Second World War, apparently due to the easy availability of bacon from US servicemen.

Of course according to the thread if you use bacon you're `hellbent on using the wrong meat' and in fact guanciale is `preferred' and pancetta is merely a `generally acceptable compromise', an evaluation which would be entirely baffling to the cooks whose work the thread's recipe is ostensibly a `pure' recreation of.

In defense of Jizzer, the OP in the thread is pretty level-headed and reasonable. The bad carbonara he's decrying is the Olive Garden cream and peas spaghetti soup, and he's not dogmatic about the meat at all. His only big DO NOT is to avoid pre-grated parm, and that's pretty uncontroversial.

Things may have gotten a bit wanky by the time the thread closed, but it was a totally respectable way to start a thread, and a pretty decent stance to take on a dish.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Scientastic posted:

I was making dad joke pea puns with my son, and it was like a light bulb pinged on over my head. I was literally speechless for a few minutes.

I still don't get it.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Scientastic posted:

Took me loving 6 months, and I thought I was dense...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

I still don't get it.
you might was well peas out of the thread

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The truly embarrassing thing about Whirled Peas is that there have been bumper stickers reading that exact thing for like 25 years. Sort of a predecessor to those awful "coexist" bumper stickers.

NOT a new idea.

Kenning posted:

In defense of Jizzer, the OP in the thread is pretty level-headed and reasonable. The bad carbonara he's decrying is the Olive Garden cream and peas spaghetti soup, and he's not dogmatic about the meat at all. His only big DO NOT is to avoid pre-grated parm, and that's pretty uncontroversial.

Things may have gotten a bit wanky by the time the thread closed, but it was a totally respectable way to start a thread, and a pretty decent stance to take on a dish.

Yeah, that's a great recipe, and if I hadn't seen that thread I probably never would have made it that way.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 17, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Is there more to "whirled peas" than that it sounds like "world peace?" I've never really understood how anybody thought this clever enough to put on the bumper stickers I used to see as a kid. The "visualize" always seemed like it didn't fit either, as it isn't punny and it also isn't something that popularly precedes the phrase "world peace" AFAIK.

Always seemed real dumb to me.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Like maybe it would work as part of a canned mushy peas commercial where there's a pageant contestant who in the Q&A says "if I could have one wish, it would be for whirled peas"

But in the context of being stuck in traffic and staring at it on the back of an '85 ford probe or whatever it makes no sense

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The pun makes more sense in a cooking forum where the mod is trying to bring about peace than on a bumper sticker. At least it's relevant.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

The "visualize" always seemed like it didn't fit either, as it isn't punny and it also isn't something that popularly precedes the phrase "world peace" AFAIK.

That's where you are wrong: the "Visualize Whirled Peas" bumper sticker was a direct parody of the original "Visualize World Peace" bumper stickers that first appeared in the late 70s.

So, still a lame pun, but it has a source.

Always seemed real dumb to me.

Ok, you are right about this part.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The pun makes more sense in a cooking forum where the mod is trying to bring about peace than on a bumper sticker. At least it's relevant.

Ah, alright, that makes sense. I missed the mod using it here and thought we were just talking about the phrase. My bad.

Squashy Nipples posted:

That's where you are wrong: the "Visualize Whirled Peas" bumper sticker was a direct parody of the original "Visualize World Peace" bumper stickers that first appeared in the late 70s.

So, still a lame pun, but it has a source.

Huh! I never saw the original. That explains that. Thanks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

If anyone needs an exegesis for the Honk If You Love Cheeses bumper sticker, just let me know.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Which variety of basil is the one that has round, smooth leaves and tastes peppery? All I've been able to find in the last two years is the pointy, barbed-leaf variety that tastes like anise.

I desparately want to grow a shitload of real basil.

Nobody ever seemed to answer you on this, but this should have all the information you need. It sounds like you're looking for either a Genovese variety, or maybe a lemon basil? Either way, "real basil" is a bastard term and you should feel bad for using it. :colbert:

As for a suggestion, try Mrs. Burn's Lemon. It's a very popular cultivar and tastes quite different from your basic Sweet Basil. Also, I like shopping from Hirt's Garden's Amazon store, as they give you free shipping when you buy in bulk. I just placed my seed order for the year a few days ago, and I got something like a dozen different varieties of basil for under 20 bucks. It owns.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Anyone know about this? One handles snapped off but the lid still sits on tight and its heavy as gently caress. Doesnt seem like rust, its really thin and just flakes off, is it salvageable?

*prays for free cast iron but expects ceramic*

Astrobastard fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 21, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Captain Bravo posted:

Nobody ever seemed to answer you on this, but this should have all the information you need. It sounds like you're looking for either a Genovese variety, or maybe a lemon basil? Either way, "real basil" is a bastard term and you should feel bad for using it. :colbert:

As for a suggestion, try Mrs. Burn's Lemon. It's a very popular cultivar and tastes quite different from your basic Sweet Basil. Also, I like shopping from Hirt's Garden's Amazon store, as they give you free shipping when you buy in bulk. I just placed my seed order for the year a few days ago, and I got something like a dozen different varieties of basil for under 20 bucks. It owns.

Thanks for that. It seems you're probably right about genovese being what I'm looking for, if the document you linked is correct (I believe it is). Popular seed and plant purveyors seem to alternately lie about what the seeds actually are, or print pictures of different-than-titled cultivars on their packaging, which is frustrating. A buddy of mine got an aerogarden that's supposed to have come with genovese basil but I'm pretty sure it is not genovese basil. Burpee's packets show something different than genovese on their genovese packets. So it's nice to see a pic of genovese from some authority on the herb.

I just bought a bunch of seeds, including those for some of your lemon basil. Thanks for the recommendation. Looking forward to trying it with some fish.

And I used the term "real basil" because it's the same frustration I get when shopping supermarkets for garlic and herbs. They'll have elephant garlic or purple garlic or barb-leafed basil labeled as the more sought-after variety, so I'm tired of "fakes" and I want the "real" thing.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

And I used the term "real basil" because it's the same frustration I get when shopping supermarkets for garlic and herbs. They'll have elephant garlic or purple garlic or barb-leafed basil labeled as the more sought-after variety, so I'm tired of "fakes" and I want the "real" thing.

Yeah, I feel the same way about dogs and chihuahuas.

I guess their point was that being a different variety doesn't make it any less "real". Now, take a friend of mine, who when showing me his garden pointed at his oregano plant and I had to tell him it was actually sage; he swears the seed bag said oregano on it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Astrobastard posted:

Anyone know about this? One handles snapped off but the lid still sits on tight and its heavy as gently caress. Doesnt seem like rust, its really thin and just flakes off, is it salvageable?

*prays for free cast iron but expects ceramic*

Cousances was a company that made cast iron since the 1500's, and was bought by Le Creuset in the 1950's

Probably salvageable, I'd scrub the stains off, it's enameled so you can probably get rid of any tougher crud by scraping it with a stainless steel spoon.

The Doufeu was a kind of wacky pot where you'd load the lid with a bunch of cold water or ice cubes to encourage condensation in the top of the pot and therefore more water dripping back down into your food

Cooks Illustrated tested one and concluded that it was a gimmick, but the good news is that it probably works just fine as a Dutch oven

The fact that it doesn't have Le Creuset on it means it's an antique!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 22, 2016

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
heh have fun with your cast iron .... im goinbg to get a cast TITANIUM pot :grin:

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Anyone here have any experience opening a food stand at a farmer's market? I think I'd like to give this a go this season and I'm looking for maybe a quick rundown of what's involved to get running. Stuff like what kind of permits I'll need and how much it all costs.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

rgocs posted:

I guess their point was that being a different variety doesn't make it any less "real". Now, take a friend of mine, who when showing me his garden pointed at his oregano plant and I had to tell him it was actually sage; he swears the seed bag said oregano on it.

Yeah, there's a ton of variety of basil, some that even aren't part of the same species, and even a few that aren't the same genus! It's a marvelous little plant that will happily spread it's... leaves? for drat near anything with a pretty flower, and so there's a billion cultivars each with their own unique wonderfulness. :shobon:

But I know what you mean, when you've used something for years and all of a sudden everyone is using something different and calling it the same thing. It's kind of frustrating! If you're working on growing your own, I definitely recommend trying some lettuce leaf or Mammoth basil as well. With a little TLC, you can grow leaves as big as your hand, it's pretty badass!

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Tots posted:

Anyone here have any experience opening a food stand at a farmer's market? I think I'd like to give this a go this season and I'm looking for maybe a quick rundown of what's involved to get running. Stuff like what kind of permits I'll need and how much it all costs.

A lot of this depends on your locality. I work in Detroit at Eastern Market, and our stalls have weekly/long term lease rates. You need a general business license, and then everything else varies by the type of foods you're selling. Packaged foods are often regulated by the state, so you need a license and inspected kitchen, insurance, etc.; whereas fresh stuff (a bar of soups, say,) would require you to have a commissary space or host restaurant that you were licensed in, and then follow all local rules for outdoor service - inspecting your setup at least once, time/temp logs, etc.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

Yeah, there's a ton of variety of basil, some that even aren't part of the same species, and even a few that aren't the same genus! It's a marvelous little plant that will happily spread it's... leaves? for drat near anything with a pretty flower, and so there's a billion cultivars each with their own unique wonderfulness. :shobon:

But I know what you mean, when you've used something for years and all of a sudden everyone is using something different and calling it the same thing. It's kind of frustrating! If you're working on growing your own, I definitely recommend trying some lettuce leaf or Mammoth basil as well. With a little TLC, you can grow leaves as big as your hand, it's pretty badass!

Basil is a weed. Once it gets roots down, there is no stopping it.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Vegas report:

Bart is, as usual, a reliable food oracle. I'm not sure I agree with him that Chada Street is better than Lotus, but it's a close-run thing. Table liked some dishes better at Chada, but the scope at Lotus and the crispy fried rice kept it a hairsbreadth ahead, in our estimation.

Only meal that wasn't great was the one in the New York New York. Should have just toughed it out until after the show and eaten more late night tacos.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Tots posted:

Depends entirely on the individual farmers market. Make sure you check up on health code, and fire code if you are using any heat because both health and fire officials do random inspections at farmers markets.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Tots posted:

My friend runs a wine stand at a farmer's market near where she lives. The winery she works for has locations all over the state, and people will buy depending on all sorts of things: the weather, holidays coming up, and all kinds of other factors. For her, she just pays for a bottle of each of the wines she lets people taste, and the cost of the stall space itself (around $30 a week, or so). The rest is pretty straight forward, since she's selling stuff in sealed containers, and just has to be sure to check for ID. NJ has weird liquor laws, and this particular town allows wineries who produce wine entirely in NJ to sell at farmer's markets. But because the winery she works at covers most of the expenses, she's not got a lot of stuff to think about.

In the wealthier areas, people are willing to spend more money at the farmer's market to grab a few things that are pre cooked, but you'll also get WAY more demands for allergy friendly, vegan, gluten free, etc as opposed to ones in the middle of nowhere. In NJ, they require that any food sold at the farmer's market that's pre cooked needs to be done in a department of health certified facility, and NOT at your home. Then you need a permit to sell the food, and that costs various amounts, depending on the locale. I think I recall one of the ladies who was selling pork buns at the farmer's market my friend works at paid a couple hundred dollars a year for the permit. She knows someone (family) who owns a restaurant, so he lets her use his kitchen to make the food. Then she seals it up right there, and brings it out to sell at the market. If you don't know someone with a certified kitchen, it can get a lot trickier to get into one. This is the biggest barrier (depending on your state's laws) to selling food you've /cooked/. Selling vegetables you've grown, or flowers you grow, or handicrafts that you make is a lot easier.

This farmer's market I mentioned charges like $30 a week to have your stand. Or, you can buy a seasonal pass, or a 1 year pass, depending, and get like 30% - 50% discounted on the weekly costs. Your mileage will vary. From speaking to the people there, they make their operating costs back and then some when it's busy, but they don't ever want to give up their day job. Even the pork bun lady, who clears like $1,500 on a normal day keeps up with her regular job during the week, because there were weekends where she made like $100 a day, and that had to cover all her expenses. Those are the worst days, because she has all this leftover food, which is not going to last (since it's highly perishable), and ends up giving the people in the other stands the rest.

You will (depending on the state) need a business registered with the state, so that your earnings are reported, and your personal property is not liable in court in case someone gets sick and sues. Even if it's a sole proprietorship, or LLC (which costs like $50 or so a year to register in NJ), you'll want that business to operate under.

The worst was when I was there, and the skies opened up and torrential rains started beating down. It had been a crap day, and nobody was doing very well. The lady who sold home made soaps basically lost all her products, because they all got wet from the sudden rain. She basically handed out like 10 or so bars for the other stalls, because she couldn't sell it once it had gotten that wet.

From what I hear from the people there, it's a rewarding thing to do, to have instant feedback about your food. It sometimes can provide a little extra mad money to save up for a trip or something. But for it to be a full time business is a bit more difficult to manage, unless you're working the Farmer's Market in Union Square in Manhattan, where there's all that foot traffic 7 days a week.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Steve Yun posted:

Cousances was a company that made cast iron since the 1500's, and was bought by Le Creuset in the 1950's

Probably salvageable, I'd scrub the stains off, it's enameled so you can probably get rid of any tougher crud by scraping it with a stainless steel spoon.

The Doufeu was a kind of wacky pot where you'd load the lid with a bunch of cold water or ice cubes to encourage condensation in the top of the pot and therefore more water dripping back down into your food

Cooks Illustrated tested one and concluded that it was a gimmick, but the good news is that it probably works just fine as a Dutch oven

The fact that it doesn't have Le Creuset on it means it's an antique!

Thats great info, thanks :)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My wife and I will be visiting her friend in DC late next month. What are some food recommendations? Any cuisine, and price point, any locale, we'll take them all.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

My wife and I will be visiting her friend in DC late next month. What are some food recommendations? Any cuisine, and price point, any locale, we'll take them all.

Go to Michel Richard's place and if you're lucky he'll rub your wife's shoulders while he tells you about his blond ex wives.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

The Midniter posted:

We're talking about restaurants in the DC LAN thread right now, as it so happens. I'm not sure how to drop thread links easily in the awful app, though.

In the meantime how do you feel about live jazz with your dinner?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Trebuchet King posted:

In the meantime how do you feel about live jazz with your dinner?

I'm for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Test Pattern posted:

Vegas report:

Bart is, as usual, a reliable food oracle. I'm not sure I agree with him that Chada Street is better than Lotus, but it's a close-run thing. Table liked some dishes better at Chada, but the scope at Lotus and the crispy fried rice kept it a hairsbreadth ahead, in our estimation.

Only meal that wasn't great was the one in the New York New York. Should have just toughed it out until after the show and eaten more late night tacos.

Sorry about the NYNY thing, but that's not surprising. They managed to import all of the negative stereotypes of NYC (rude locals, confusing geography, weird smells) without the good-food positives. There are a couple of okay places but nowhere I'd say is worth making a special trip for.

Nam Kao Tod is on the menu at Chada Street sometimes. Their menu rotates a bit, which is one of the reasons I like it (very slightly) better than Lotus. Neither place is a bad choice, and Chada Thai and Wine is also great.