Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I also just found out (though this is more down to my own lack of reading comprehension) that throwing bones onto a soul gets you a soulbone, so i don't have to murder farm animals for those either

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Okay I think I figured out how to get my tutorial world to generate correctly despite block ID mismatches. I have to write this up somewhere because this was something like 8 hours of my life I am never going to see again, but it was worth it rather than scrapping the tutorial world idea. I found the code that normally fixes the block and item mismatches when loading an old save. It happens ... after the server pees all over the save and ruins it. I managed to just grab all the code that does the repair and slap it into Lockdown. I just created a new world in my BFSR beta with it, and everything looked okay!

I can describe this in just a few sentences, but that was a lot of pain to step through the world loading, saving, and creation process to figure out who was doing what when, and then figuring out a point where I could swoop in and hijack it.

Gote
Jan 7, 2010
This thread being Rocko's dev-blog is the best thing, it's actually quite interesting to read about your adventures into minecraft modding.

Also the pack is super-nice even for people more experienced in modded minecraft as the upped ore-gen and such makes everything much less of a hassle.

So thanks for the cool pack, Rocko :)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Intangible is grindy as gently caress i am finding

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

Intangible is grindy as gently caress i am finding

Is there a mod pack for it? or just in general?

Im looking for a mod pack again :/ as far as im concerned ive beaten blightfall and regrowth. (still a lot mroe to do in regrowth but cant be bothered :/)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Is there a mod pack for it? or just in general?

Im looking for a mod pack again :/ as far as im concerned ive beaten blightfall and regrowth. (still a lot mroe to do in regrowth but cant be bothered :/)

not to my knowledge

i just use the curse launcher and cobble my own pack together from bits and pieces because it's click to install mods

i think i can share packs too, when i get to my actual computer i can toss up a link

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

trip report: you can't easily share curse modpacks

so just make one yourself, it's pretty easy

here's what's on mine

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

A few sites have an option to apply the skin right then and there. You'll have to log into your Mojang account to finish it off.

Here's an online editor I use sometimes that has the option under the "Apply" button up on top.
http://minecraft.novaskin.me/

This one does it from an "Upload to Minecraft" button when selecting the skin:
http://www.minecraftskins.com/

I have no idea if naughty stuff is happening behind the scenes though. Hopefully somebody chimes in if these sites have a terrible reputation.

I don't know if I'd trust those sites with my login. You can download the skin file instead and then upload it to your profile on https://minecraft.net.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

trip report: you can't easily share curse modpacks

so just make one yourself, it's pretty easy

here's what's on mine

This convinced me to try the curse launcher for myself and now I'm kind of failing to see the point of using MultiMC anymore. Good software, didn't expect that from Curse.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

This convinced me to try the curse launcher for myself and now I'm kind of failing to see the point of using MultiMC anymore. Good software, didn't expect that from Curse.

yeah, curse is pretty sketchy but gently caress me if they didn't make a really good minecraft launcher

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

yeah, curse is pretty sketchy but gently caress me if they didn't make a really good minecraft launcher

Kinda wierd that they market primarily as a voip thing because I couldn't even begin to imagine using it for that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is there a list anywhere of the specific things you need to scan for research in TC5? I know about golems (snow/iron) and bows, but there's obviously a lot more I'm missing.

E: Also when do I get void metal? I've had a few of those tunnel vision-inducing, heart-pounding warp events, and I thought those were supposed to unlock the new research.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 16, 2016

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Is there a list anywhere of the specific things you need to scan for research in TC5? I know about golems (snow/iron) and bows, but there's obviously a lot more I'm missing.

E: Also when do I get void metal? I've had a few of those tunnel vision-inducing, heart-pounding warp events, and I thought those were supposed to unlock the new research.

scan a regular overworld bat to get the bat summoning focus

I think to get thaumium fortress armor you need to scan a piece of regular thaumium armor, or maybe that was just the armor aspect

warp events themselves don't unlock the eldritch tab, you need to accumulate a specific amount of warp and it'll happen

you might also need to get a Crimson Rites book, not sure

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I tried the curse launcher and couldn't figure out how to manage to share a modpack I'd put together so that other people could download it. Is that a thing it does too now or is it still just mostly a handy way to build the pack?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Psi's Break/Place Block Sequence tricks are fun

Who needs TiCon or whatever else when you can mine vast swathes of cave in a few right clicks

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

herp de derr forums are being dumb again this post will fix it

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

chairface posted:

I tried the curse launcher and couldn't figure out how to manage to share a modpack I'd put together so that other people could download it. Is that a thing it does too now or is it still just mostly a handy way to build the pack?

near as i can tell you can't just share a pack without doing a bunch of extra bullshit

it's mostly useful for building the pack yourself i guess

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Glory of Arioch posted:

scan a regular overworld bat to get the bat summoning focus

I think to get thaumium fortress armor you need to scan a piece of regular thaumium armor, or maybe that was just the armor aspect

warp events themselves don't unlock the eldritch tab, you need to accumulate a specific amount of warp and it'll happen

you might also need to get a Crimson Rites book, not sure

Scan a feather to get arcane levitator and eventually the thaumic harness.

Yes, you need the crimson rites book to unlock the eldritch tab.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just noticed that 1.8.9 has a Blood Magic update, too. God drat, lot of good mods coming out/getting updates.

Anyone know if Immersive Engineering is coming to 1.8.9? I've seen it at least mentioned in DW20's forgecraft series, is that sort of a beta test zone or something?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Ciaphas posted:

I just noticed that 1.8.9 has a Blood Magic update, too. God drat, lot of good mods coming out/getting updates.

Anyone know if Immersive Engineering is coming to 1.8.9? I've seen it at least mentioned in DW20's forgecraft series, is that sort of a beta test zone or something?

Yeah, the port is being worked on but there's no ETA yet.

edit: Also the CoFH RF API updated to 1.8.9 last week I think?

edit2: and yes, Forgecraft is where all the coolkid modders get invited to test their mods (and get peer pressured into making them more grindy and awful).

Fortis fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 17, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ok, im having a shot at the 'Simply Magic' mod on FTB.

And already im stuck. I cant find gold anywhere, and pretty much all of thaumcraft/botania need it early on.

Mystcraft ive started as well, but i need to make some books for the 2nd quest and NEI doesnt give any receipes..... apparently i need a linked panel and leather, but linked panel doesnt even exist in NEI.

Anyone else played this and have some tips?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

fondue posted:

Scan a feather to get arcane levitator and eventually the thaumic harness.

Yes, you need the crimson rites book to unlock the eldritch tab.

The book just unlocks the opening the eye part of the eldritch tab. I believe the eldritch tab has 3 tiers of unlocks based on your warp. Opening the eye is in tier 2 but it also unlocks some other things, you just need the book to get to the dimension and get a primordial pearl so you can unlock tier 3.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

And already im stuck. I cant find gold anywhere, and pretty much all of thaumcraft/botania need it early on.

Mystcraft ive started as well, but i need to make some books for the 2nd quest and NEI doesnt give any receipes..... apparently i need a linked panel and leather, but linked panel doesnt even exist in NEI.

It has been awhile since I have toyed with Mystcraft, but I vaguely recall this being tricky. I think you have to slap a sheet of paper in an ink mixer, along with some ink, to make one of them. I don't think it shows up in NEI for whatever reason.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It has been awhile since I have toyed with Mystcraft, but I vaguely recall this being tricky. I think you have to slap a sheet of paper in an ink mixer, along with some ink, to make one of them. I don't think it shows up in NEI for whatever reason.

ill give it a go. there is no help in the in-game tutorial.

It still doesnt help with my total lack of gold. and im sitting on about 30 iron ore :/

Oh and mob griefing is on, i found this out when 2 creepers somehow spawned in my base. I lost 4 double chests and some other stuff i can remember ><

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Meskhenet posted:

The instructions are in the quest BEFORE the one you're working on, for some reason. Took me a while to find them too.

To get link panels, shove some paper and some ink (ink is glass bottle of water plus two black ink of various kinds, squid ink works) into the ink mixer.

To make a blank linking book (the get home type of book), shove a link panel and leather in a crafting grid,

To make random ages, shove leather and a link panel in the binder, and give it a name.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Meskhenet posted:

It still doesnt help with my total lack of gold. and im sitting on about 30 iron ore :/

Oh and mob griefing is on, i found this out when 2 creepers somehow spawned in my base. I lost 4 double chests and some other stuff i can remember ><

Gold is pretty rare and is only in the 0-32 y levels. Gotta go deep for it. If you haven't already, I suggest an Ars Magica Touch+Dig or Projectile+Dig spell early on. Good for grinding up AM levels as well as not wasting your iron on pickaxes. Only mines up to iron-level that way though, it takes an additional modifier to dig harder materials like obsidian.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

also ugh has anyone gotten eldritch revelation yet in TC5, i have my bar filled with temporary warp and the black fractured brain but nothing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Are there two different kinds of growth ticks or something in this game? DW20 got a bunch of intangible blue crystals to grow fast by sticking a TC lamp of growth over them and hanging out with a blood magic sigil of the green grove. I decided to try using a PSI overgrowth spell on some of said crystals, and it does nothing.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Meskhenet posted:

There was a conversation about this a few pages ago, but in order to turn mob griefing off, open your world to lan and enable cheats then do
code:
/gamerule mobGriefing false
If you want to toggle inventory loss on death,
code:
/gamerule keepInventory true

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ciaphas posted:

Are there two different kinds of growth ticks or something in this game? DW20 got a bunch of intangible blue crystals to grow fast by sticking a TC lamp of growth over them and hanging out with a blood magic sigil of the green grove. I decided to try using a PSI overgrowth spell on some of said crystals, and it does nothing.

Somebody else can probably explain better, but it is my understanding there are two ways to expedite plant growth. One manipulates what happens with plants during a tick, and others basically randomly bonemeal.

Some mods will usually block one or the other. I think magical crops has traditionally been the tricky one. Lilypads of fertility affect plants through ticks and speed them up fine, but sprinklers won't do anything.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Somebody else can probably explain better, but it is my understanding there are two ways to expedite plant growth. One manipulates what happens with plants during a tick, and others basically randomly bonemeal.

Some mods will usually block one or the other. I think magical crops has traditionally been the tricky one. Lilypads of fertility affect plants through ticks and speed them up fine, but sprinklers won't do anything.

Yes this is true. Tick boosters work on nearly any plant (ender lillies are the only one I know of with code that prevents that). I think the Psi Overgrowth says "fertilize" so it most likely does a bonemeal effect.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Makes sense, thanks.

I wish Extra Utilities would come out for 1.8.9 too, having lassos and redstone clocks would be lovely for working with Intangible. I can't see myself having any loving fun at all getting villagers from bumfuck nowhere back to my base.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Couldn't you use Botania's Hovering Hourglass?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is Botania even up to 1.8.9? I haven't checked :v:

I was more thinking the clock DW20 was using in the last couple videos, though, that seems to send out a redstone pulse multiple times a second, like rapidly flicking a lever. Seems the easiest way to make the blow mold and bellows from intangible work automatically, but the botania hourglass only does up to one per second.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

I can't see myself having any loving fun at all getting villagers from bumfuck nowhere back to my base.

I solved this problem by making an infinite villager farm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR9NPbGGqfA

I got my seed villagers by curing zombie villagers that spawned near my base.

I haven't gotten the soul harvesting completely automatic, though, because of how irritating it is to wire circuitry into bone cages because of the soul relays needed to extract souls blocking access to the cage. :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I thought you couldn't learn to cure zombies until you'd sucked up a couple villagers already. Neat, looks like I need to read more closely.

Also lmao at a villager farm, I had no idea that was possible

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

I thought you couldn't learn to cure zombies until you'd sucked up a couple villagers already. Neat, looks like I need to read more closely.

Also lmao at a villager farm, I had no idea that was possible

Naw, curing zombies is a vanilla mechanic. That farm I linked is also 100% vanilla minecraft -- the modification I added was to put a bone cage at the top of the water elevator to nab the adult villagers.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It is?! gently caress me I know literally nothing about vanilla minecraft :saddowns:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Brovine posted:

The instructions are in the quest BEFORE the one you're working on, for some reason. Took me a while to find them too.

To get link panels, shove some paper and some ink (ink is glass bottle of water plus two black ink of various kinds, squid ink works) into the ink mixer.

To make a blank linking book (the get home type of book), shove a link panel and leather in a crafting grid,

To make random ages, shove leather and a link panel in the binder, and give it a name.

holy gently caress ><
Followed the instructions, or at least thought i followed the instructions, guess not..

i put the leather and the pages in a book, right clicked it, it was the wrong book, so..... is there any way to get back to my original area or am i done with this pack as well?

(which is a shame as i was actually enjoying it up until this crap)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

holy gently caress ><
Followed the instructions, or at least thought i followed the instructions, guess not..

i put the leather and the pages in a book, right clicked it, it was the wrong book, so..... is there any way to get back to my original area or am i done with this pack as well?

(which is a shame as i was actually enjoying it up until this crap)

Self quoting as i fixed it.

Enabled cheats, gave myself the star fissure and came back......