Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Try the Black Gulch's oil-hand-worm-things if you're desperate. Clean out the poison statues first, and don't forget to not zone out so they won't respawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

Do you have an extremely high SM or have you ever used Cheat Engine? Because I was getting more hits than that softbanned when I first hit the area, if you're running around the Belfry too you should be getting in a fight every few minutes

Considering I wiped out Heide and did a couple of bosses twice I'm probably way higher level than I "should" be. I'm also literally the worst in PvP and I've never found it any fun :(

e: also, I haven't met anyone yet who is obviously hacking but I'm seeing a lot of DLC armor/weapons on people and I just defeated my first Great One.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 16, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Your Computer posted:

Considering I wiped out Heide and did a couple of bosses twice I'm probably way higher level than I "should" be. I'm also literally the worst in PvP and I've never found it any fun :(
Use the Ice Rapier to just farm players for an hour. Also, remember to guard-break shield users, it's a near guaranteed kill and works every time.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Am I a bad bellbro if I just gently caress with the hosts instead of fighting them?

Example: Running around naked as the host and their buddies try to smack me, only to keep failing every time, and then black crystal-ing out once I've had enough of em OR switching to battle mode if another bell bro invades?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Thinking of fights with multiple mobs, wasn't there a spot in Dark Souls with like five Taurus Demons?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
these games have constantly used multiple mobs since demons souls at least so anyone who says these games arent designed to handle multiple enemies are wrong and dumb. probably also need to git gud.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Iretep posted:

these games have constantly used multiple mobs since demons souls at least so anyone who says these games arent designed to handle multiple enemies are wrong and dumb. probably also need to git gud.

O&S set a high bar for multimob fights, and bell gargoyles deux doesn't match up to it at all. It's kind of a bad fight.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Iretep posted:

I did actually make a post just on the last page about the difference between something like Ornstein and Smough (good) and DS2 Gargoyles (bad), feel free to have a look!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

Thinking of fights with multiple mobs, wasn't there a spot in Dark Souls with like five Taurus Demons?

The weird nigh-pointless lava area immediately after Queelag.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

O&S set a high bar for multimob fights, and bell gargoyles deux doesn't match up to it at all. It's kind of a bad fight.

It's an atrocious fight. O&S works as a multiboss encounter because of their different movesets (Smough doesn't combo and has a long recovery time; Ornstein is fast and likes to dash towards you, and also occasionally performs ranged attacks), which encourages you to divide them up and then gradually whittle one of them down inbetween their attacks. The layout of the room (with the six large pillars) makes it easier to split the two up, as you can force Smough to move around the pillars to get to you, thus giving you more time to hit Ornstein. The entire fight is designed around two enemies with contrasting movesets and figuring out how to use their movesets against them.

Belfry Gargoyles 2.0 is a group of completely identical enemies, all of whom have large pools of health for the point in the game you're likely to find them, who all have the exact same moveset, who can fly up and out of the general range of the camera easily, who can combo their attacks unpredictably, and who can attack from every angle. It's a "challenge" because the game's basic systems were not designed for this kind of fight. It's a teeth-grindingly frustrating encounter that involves a lot of kiting around, waiting for both of them to use the last hit of a grounded combo, before plinking at one of them a little bit and running away again. The same problem plagues Throne Watcher/Defender.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Vermain posted:

It's an atrocious fight. O&S works as a multiboss encounter because of their different movesets (Smough doesn't combo and has a long recovery time; Ornstein is fast and likes to dash towards you, and also occasionally performs ranged attacks), which encourages you to divide them up and then gradually whittle one of them down inbetween their attacks. The layout of the room (with the six large pillars) makes it easier to split the two up, as you can force Smough to move around the pillars to get to you, thus giving you more time to hit Ornstein. The entire fight is designed around two enemies with contrasting movesets and figuring out how to use their movesets against them.

Belfry Gargoyles 2.0 is a group of completely identical enemies, all of whom have large pools of health for the point in the game you're likely to find them, who all have the exact same moveset, who can fly up and out of the general range of the camera easily, who can combo their attacks unpredictably, and who can attack from every angle. It's a "challenge" because the game's basic systems were not designed for this kind of fight. It's a teeth-grindingly frustrating encounter that involves a lot of kiting around, waiting for both of them to use the last hit of a grounded combo, before plinking at one of them a little bit and running away again. The same problem plagues Throne Watcher/Defender.

It also highlights one of ds2's biggest problems: the boss fights that were designed to be hard rather than interesting. Royal rat authority, double dragonrider, gargoyles, ruin sentinels, and a few others I'm probably forgetting. These are mechanically challenging fights, but that's not what makes a dark souls boss a good fight. It's like the devs decided to just cram in low effort crap that made the game harder for no reason other than to make sure that ds2 was harder than ds1.

The scoreboard in majula doesn't help the image that the game was designed to kill you instead of being designed to be an engaging experience.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm trying to play this game with DS4Windows, but the inputs are all screwed up on Windows 10. I have the newest version of the program, and tried using the Hide DS4 option with Steam and anything else closed but nothing worked. Any options besides that or am I stuck using my 360 controller?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It also highlights one of ds2's biggest problems: the boss fights that were designed to be hard rather than interesting. Royal rat authority, double dragonrider, gargoyles, ruin sentinels, and a few others I'm probably forgetting. These are mechanically challenging fights, but that's not what makes a dark souls boss a good fight. It's like the devs decided to just cram in low effort crap that made the game harder for no reason other than to make sure that ds2 was harder than ds1.

The scoreboard in majula doesn't help the image that the game was designed to kill you instead of being designed to be an engaging experience.

Right. The large number of strong multi-enemy engagements reads like a lot of the team not really understanding the combat system they were working with. The other possibility was that they were there to balance out the inclusion of Lifegems: since the only way to really die (assuming you purchase 99 Lifegems, which is easy to do) is via heavy burst, slotting more enemies into each encounter dramatically increases the probability that you'll die when trying to pop a Lifegem. That depends on whether one came before the other, however, so it's all just speculation on my part.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 16, 2016

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vermain posted:

This is a good post and articulates much better what I was trying to get across, that alot of the harder encounters are hard mainly because the enemies are crudely copy and pasted and work against the moveset of the PC rather than because they make you work with it in interesting ways

Orv posted:

The weird nigh-pointless lava area immediately after Queelag.

It's a terrible set of encounters and one of the low points of the game, but even then you never need to aggro more than two at once. It is terrible though, I'm not going to dispute that

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if I'm a fan of the new gankfest Iron Keep :( There have been some really good changes in SotFS but others just seem bizarre.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I hate new iron keep because the weebs are just dicks with how they pop out of the woodwork. It's the only zone in the game I immediately burn an effigy at just to cut out the bullshit. Once everything is permadead then I won't bother because lava pvp can be fun, but gently caress the weebs.

Decent soul farming spot early in the game, though, as long as you can get past earthen peak's bullshit.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Your Computer posted:

Not sure if I'm a fan of the new gankfest Iron Keep :( There have been some really good changes in SotFS but others just seem bizarre.

I bought SotFS a couple of weeks ago, having never played DkS2 prior (I played DkS....thoroughly). I had heard that Smelter Demon was this very hard boss. He was easy. It's the run up to him that kept infuriating me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
On the plus side, you get like 25k souls just on the way to Smelter... On the other hand you need to fight like 30 enemies who all aggro once you set foot in the keep to even get there. Including black phantoms and pvpers.

I ran through one to see where they even come from, and some aggro from a good 100+ meters away behind several walls, it almost seems like a bug. :iiam:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Has anyone else gotten so tired of defending DkS2 that you just start to hate DkS1. I just started to type a big long rant about how lovely every other boss besides O&S was until the DLC came out, but I think I'm gonna pass now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Could we just not.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

argondamn posted:

Has anyone else gotten so tired of defending DkS2 that you just start to hate DkS1. I just started to type a big long rant about how lovely every other boss besides O&S was until the DLC came out, but I think I'm gonna pass now.

That's pretty weird mate

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The part that I don't like in the new Smelter run-up is that 1) you have to wait for those two guys at the far end to run down to you when you get to the outside section, 2) when you step on the bridge where the arrowshitter is, two additional melee guys come running down at you at warp speed. There's also a few warping melee on the other end but they are staggered, so it's just the same problem as (1) where you have to stand around like a doofus waiting for them to get to you if you want to do anything there besides immediately jump through smelter's gate.

(2) just seems unfair. I had a gsword that 1-2 shots those guys, I have a hard time imagining what it would be like with a longsword if you don't get the backstab on arrowshitter to help protect you and then you're stuck multi-tapping like 3 of those assholes on a bridge over lava. :darksouls:?

However there are other places that were annoying in the original and less annoying now, like the run-up to Velstadt that ditched the 2 or 3 extra syans and replaced with 1 dragonrider that doesn't respawn, and the 2 syans that are left aren't blocking the fog.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

argondamn posted:

speaking as someone who likes ds2 much more than ds1, I think it's perfectly fair & reasonable that people have different opinions about which video game is better. it is possible to disagree with many of the common criticisms against ds2 while still recognising that there are legitimate problems with the game.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Maybe I played too much Everquest back in the day, but I find that mmo style pulling works pretty well on that room. Tag the melee ones with an arrow, and let them come to you one at a time. There are others that are triggered when you walk through a certain area, so walk through that area then immediately retreat to the previous room where you can dispatch them safely. For the archers, I just counter snipe them, which is slow, but easy to do.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I mixed up royal rat authority and royal rat vanguard and was about to be extremely upset, but actually this post is pretty correct. Those are the worst fights, even though the ruin sentinels can be fun occasionally.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

DS2 in general relied on mechanically fun areas and enemy encounters since most bosses were middling and the atmosphere wasn't nearly as strong as any other souls game. And also I'm extremely mad about SOTFS iron keep because vanilla that was one of the coolest areas in all of the games to wander around and they hosed it up with romhack enemy swarms in the first half.

e: I forgive the team for all their other mistakes for the change they made to the last hallway before Vestaldt though, and I'm not talking about the enemies on the end.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 17, 2016

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Is there a way to turn the name filter off on steam I'm tired of invading K***ts.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Did people ever find out if Item Discovery stacks? I remember trying to research it myself but I couldn't find anything conclusive with Cheat Engine, but that was a long time ago.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Did people ever find out if Item Discovery stacks? I remember trying to research it myself but I couldn't find anything conclusive with Cheat Engine, but that was a long time ago.

I think it does, but only the Gold Serpent Ring gives any appreciable amount of item discovery anyway. I think people found out that the coins and gear give like, 1% extra item find?

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Mr E posted:

I'm trying to play this game with DS4Windows, but the inputs are all screwed up on Windows 10. I have the newest version of the program, and tried using the Hide DS4 option with Steam and anything else closed but nothing worked. Any options besides that or am I stuck using my 360 controller?

Windows 10 fucks with DS4Windows / InputMappers ability to load the controller in exclusive mode. Check the log tab and see if it fails to load it as exclusive. Dig through InputMappers forums and you can find a small .bat which shuts down explorer.exe and allows you to connect the controller before restoring. I'm sure it works for DS4Windows too.

It's supposed to be fixed in the latest Windows update, but for some reason some people aren't getting that.

Ps. I use InputMapper and a dual shock 4, emulating Xbox controller in exclusive mode. That works perfect as long as I run the .bat while connecting.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm pretty sure the Coin was buffed in one of the most recent patches to now affect the chance more. Very hard to test, of course.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

I think it does, but only the Gold Serpent Ring gives any appreciable amount of item discovery anyway. I think people found out that the coins and gear give like, 1% extra item find?

Base is 50, Gold Serpent Ring gives 50 per tier, Watchdragon Parma gives 50 and Rusted Coin gives 100 and they all stack

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

multijoe posted:

Base is 50, Gold Serpent Ring gives 50 per tier, Watchdragon Parma gives 50 and Rusted Coin gives 100 and they all stack

What about the clown hat caveman getup I can never seem to keep myself from wearing constantly?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

What about the clown hat caveman getup I can never seem to keep myself from wearing constantly?

That's 50 too. Also I tell a lie, Gold Serpent Ring in 50, +1 is 75 and +2 is 100. Basically if you really want that Twinkling Titanite or whatever, just stack absolutely everything you can when you farm

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

argondamn posted:

Remember that even with our criticisms I don't think anyone is saying DS2 is a garbage tier dumpstergame. It's just disappointing in some specific key areas, and even the dev team who made the game seems to agree with some of them.

If it helps, DS1 has horrible blinding lava textures, the absolute worst boss in any souls game ever (Bed of Chaos), everything about Capra Demon, Four Kings being a visually interesting but ultimately boring boss fight, the absolute worst area in any souls game (Lost Izaleth), having one of the most lore interesting areas in the game hidden behind two illusory walls at the bottom of a swamp shithole, BACKSTABACKSTABACKSTABACKSTAB pvp, and Gwyn being a wet fart of a boss.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

multijoe posted:

what do these numbers mean

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I guess the item find clownsuit is Jester Hat, Prisoner's Tatters, Watchdragon Parma, Gold Serpent Ring and a Coin then? It's a shame, I was hoping they didn't stack so I could just walk around with the ring on :cheeky:

The shield doesn't look that bad though, and now that it has an actual use I might just keep that on at all times too. Still, there are so many cool things in this game that drops randomly and I'm already the sort of person who will max out Item Find in any game I play. It doesn't help that enemies stop respawning, so instead of potentially taking hours/days/weeks to farm something you might just... not get it. There are ascetics, but they have the unfortunate side-effect of making the mobs harder and harder.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Looper posted:

That's a fantastic question, the maths of it are on the wiki but I'm no good with that stuff so I just went by 300 is six times 50 so presumably it's six times as good

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Your Computer posted:

So I guess the item find clownsuit is Jester Hat, Prisoner's Tatters, Watchdragon Parma, Gold Serpent Ring and a Coin then? It's a shame, I was hoping they didn't stack so I could just walk around with the ring on :cheeky:

The shield doesn't look that bad though, and now that it has an actual use I might just keep that on at all times too. Still, there are so many cool things in this game that drops randomly and I'm already the sort of person who will max out Item Find in any game I play. It doesn't help that enemies stop respawning, so instead of potentially taking hours/days/weeks to farm something you might just... not get it. There are ascetics, but they have the unfortunate side-effect of making the mobs harder and harder.

If you have it, the Symbol of Avarice is better than the Jester Hat. Also, tongue physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Looper posted:

Knowing From: sweet gently caress all. It definitely looks like they only affect enemies that don't always drop something and won't help you not get the life gem drop instead of the dumb viking hat drop or w/e