Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Ipad 4, crashes (well, minimizes) on startup. Reset, reinstall, no luck. Even when trying to switch to bookmarks upon startup it still crashes. Started happening yesterday, hasn't loaded since :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I'm seeing SIGTRAP as the cause in the crash logs. Did somebody release this with some debugging code that wasn't removed/disabled?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Aw poo poo, if course I forgot the logs are useless without a dSYM. Is there an easier way to get it than cloning a new workspace with the last release build and generating it myself?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

carry on then posted:

Aw poo poo, if course I forgot the logs are useless without a dSYM. Is there an easier way to get it than cloning a new workspace with the last release build and generating it myself?

Doesnt testflight automatically do this? Try looking around itc

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

UIApplication posted:

That's all pokeyman, I'm afraid. Well have to wait for him.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
App crashes on start and only occasionally works now.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Reposting my requests for the people getting the crash. I'd really like to figure out if my theory for the cause is correct.

Diabolik900 posted:

Question for those who have gotten the crash: do you have "experimental features" or either of the two mobile layout options turned on in your forums settings?

Also, if anyone get the crash again, can you look at the forums in Safari and see if that jump to forum dropdown actually shows the list of forums or not?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I was getting the crash earlier in the week,
It went away yesterday and now it's back!!!

I am in Safari and when I click on the jump to forums scroller it only shows the major categories, like Main, Discussion, etc

Malcolm XML posted:

3d touching into bookmarks skips the crashes

6s+ get on my level~

This works for me, too. Sweet.

decypher fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 14, 2016

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Diabolik900 posted:

Reposting my requests for the people getting the crash. I'd really like to figure out if my theory for the cause is correct.

I downloaded the app from the App Store and I don't have experimental features or mobile turn on in my SA account. I never log into SA in safari.

Dicked around in the general>data usage settings and deleted all my safari data.

Went back to the app and it stopped crashing. No idea if they're related but there you go.

This is on an iPhone 5 (original).

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

decypher posted:

I am in Safari and when I click on the jump to forums scroller it only shows the major categories, like Main, Discussion, etc

Thank you! This seriously strengthens the theorized cause.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Thwomp posted:

Bug report: after hitting "Scroll to the End", I'm having a weird time getting the pull up to refresh to work.

Manually swiping to scroll down does not have the same problem.

iPhone 6, latest Awful, latest iOS.

Also, that above webm didn't automatically change into something playable. Was that not the case from the change notes?

I'll check out the pull-to-refresh thing. webm does not change into something playable, just opens in VLC.

drunken officeparty posted:

Any idea what's going on with most of my SA emoticons not autoloading pokey?

Nope!

pwn posted:

why can't I see it in Updates? Is it not compatible with iOS 7? :smith:

I bump the minimum requirement extremely aggressively because I like using Awful as my playground for terrible ideas, and some of those terrible ideas only ship on the latest iOS. If I was more disingenuous, I'd claim that bumping the requirements eases the maintenance burden on this volunteer project, but that's not the real reason. But yeah, we've been iOS 9-only since shortly after its release.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Is adding search still on the general roadmap? I'm sure it's a huge pain in the rear end but I'd like my free app to have it anyway

Sure is! I'm not even sure how rear end-painy it is because I've spent zero seconds looking into it, but it'd sure be nice to have.

Number19 posted:

I am also getting the instant crash on my iPad but not my iPhone. Both are on 9.2.1. It crashes when it tries to refresh the main forums listing. If I start the app and disable wifi it doesn't crash. From there if I browse to a forum or my boomkmarks, enable wifi and refresh the thread listing it's fine and I can read threads. It's just the main forums listing that instantly crashes.

I hope that extra early info helps track it down. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Edit: now it's crashing doing the same thing on both my iPad Air and iPhone 5. I've tried deleting the app and reinstalling. When the app tries to retrieve the forum list after the first login it crashes. Maybe zen death robot changed something in the forums listing that's causing a crash?

Diabolik900's on the money, we're loving up trying to handle a broken forums list dropdown. Obviously crashing isn't the right answer, and I'll add a sanity check too (e.g. "just sections, no actual forums? Maybe don't apply this update"). I don't think a simple reload tends to fix that dropdown; I'm guessing it's cached somewhere server-side and once it's hosed we just need to wait for the cached copy to expire. (I have a hunch that caching is also the reason why you sometimes see subforums you don't actually have access to. zdr has mentioned some baffling caching a few times in The Technical Thread.)

mike- posted:

I've been getting a crash before and after the update where it looks like half a post is blacked out. I'm not sure how to best describe it, but there will be posts where it looks like a black box is over the text midway through. Whenever this happens, the app will crash a few seconds later and when it reopens I will open to an older thread I had been reading.

I'll try to take a screenshot next time if that would help. This is on an iphone6s.

This sounds pretty weird. I'd appreciate a screenshot, and I'll keep my eye out.

carry on then posted:

Anyone who's worked on Awful for a while remember what exactly causes the crash when the drop down isn't correct? Is it an IndexOutOfBounds type error?

Ended up being a failing precondition. The scraper was trying to fetch the existing forums, and when there are no forums in the dropdown it passes an empty array to the fetch method and the fetch method didn't like empty arrays. (Yes, this was a stupid precondition. It's gone.)

zergstain posted:

I'm seeing SIGTRAP as the cause in the crash logs. Did somebody release this with some debugging code that wasn't removed/disabled?

Yes, though it was intentional (precondition in Swift stays present in release builds).

carry on then posted:

My bad, I forgot to upload the dSYMs. When I remember, they're on the Github page under Releases.

UIApplication posted:

Yep, shows up in Xcode's Organizer window. Came up as the top crash (surprise!).

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Never seen this before, trying to read the last 10 posts in eastern_europe.gfv thread and awful crashes while loading the thread.

iPhone 6+, current iOS (9.2.1?), current version of awful 3.10

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 14, 2016

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Diabolik900 posted:

Thank you! This seriously strengthens the theorized cause.

I did the 3D Touch shortcut to jump into bookmarks which worked but now back in safari I get the complete forum listing restored as it should be. Who knows if it's related but it's very interesting.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Re the scroll to end - pull to refresh:

If you scroll to end, the tableview will simply not stubbornly scroll to the y offset to trigger that state switch for what looks like the section/table footer (with the rotating arrow or whatever it is now). If I were to guess what was going on, it looks like once the scroll to end button is tapped, a flag is set and the tableview is applying a static y offset in scrollviewDidScroll.

However, scrolling up at all unfucks this and after that you can pull to refresh. I might be filling in blanks where I shouldnt but I have also noticed a little more success in opening links in the pushed webview after scrolling up as well (there may be some lineup with whether that shortcut bar at the top where scroll to end lives being fully visible)

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Hmm, count me in as one of the people getting the crash. I could look at my bookmarks before but when I tried to go to the main forum directory it would crash. I reinstalled but now it crashes as soon as I try to login.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

I'll check out the pull-to-refresh thing. webm does not change into something playable, just opens in VLC.

Nope!

I bump the minimum requirement extremely aggressively because I like using Awful as my playground for terrible ideas, and some of those terrible ideas only ship on the latest iOS. If I was more disingenuous, I'd claim that bumping the requirements eases the maintenance burden on this volunteer project, but that's not the real reason. But yeah, we've been iOS 9-only since shortly after its release.

Sure is! I'm not even sure how rear end-painy it is because I've spent zero seconds looking into it, but it'd sure be nice to have.

Diabolik900's on the money, we're loving up trying to handle a broken forums list dropdown. Obviously crashing isn't the right answer, and I'll add a sanity check too (e.g. "just sections, no actual forums? Maybe don't apply this update"). I don't think a simple reload tends to fix that dropdown; I'm guessing it's cached somewhere server-side and once it's hosed we just need to wait for the cached copy to expire. (I have a hunch that caching is also the reason why you sometimes see subforums you don't actually have access to. zdr has mentioned some baffling caching a few times in The Technical Thread.)

This sounds pretty weird. I'd appreciate a screenshot, and I'll keep my eye out.

Ended up being a failing precondition. The scraper was trying to fetch the existing forums, and when there are no forums in the dropdown it passes an empty array to the fetch method and the fetch method didn't like empty arrays. (Yes, this was a stupid precondition. It's gone.)

Yes, though it was intentional (precondition in Swift stays present in release builds).

My bad, I forgot to upload the dSYMs. When I remember, they're on the Github page under Releases.

Yep, shows up in Xcode's Organizer window. Came up as the top crash (surprise!).

Thanks pokeyman :)

e: and the 3.10 dSYM is there, you didn't forget. Now I know where to look.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Also started getting the crash. Happens on both my iphone 5s and ipad mini, 9.2.1 on both. Restarted both devices and now it works. Checked Safari and it only shows Main, Discussion, Finer Arts, etc.

Not sure what the "experimental features" or mobile layout options are, so I wanna say no?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

lifg posted:

It's crashing on my iPhone 5, but not my iPad 1 (which apple stopped releasing updates for years ago).

It only crashed when I went to the front forum list page. It didn't crash when I was in a subforum looking at a list of threads, or when I was reading threads, or on the bookmarks page. Quitting the app didn't help.

I logged out, and now it's also crashing when I try to log back in. However it doesn't crash when fail to log in by typing the password wrong.

Update: it stopped crashing once I updated the app. I'm good now.

a fragile ego
Oct 19, 2014

The crash has returned, both a restart and clearing browsing data have had no effect.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Pokeyman has made a fix, but it'll still be awhile before it can get released. Not sure how soon he wants to put the update out.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Had a consistent crash problem, but it seems to have gone away sometime in the last several hours. Can't check with an actual browser for a couple of hours, but maybe Lowtax/zdr fixed the dropdown menu.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Whoever submits this app to apple, take loving heed of this

https://www.reddit.com/r/iOSProgramming/comments/45siza/this_certificate_has_an_invalid_issuer/

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It's pokeyman, who already knows about it. Thanks though! :)

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I think the latest 9.3 update fixed the "swipe to close safari" weirdness. Unless if it was one of you guys then thank you.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Kazy posted:

I think the latest 9.3 update fixed the "swipe to close safari" weirdness. Unless if it was one of you guys then thank you.

It was 9.3. Crapple!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have made the grave mistake of uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Now it just crashes immediately upon entering my username and password. I guess I'm out till the next update :/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just keep checking the "Jump to another forum" dropbox in the bottom left. When it has the forums listed instead of just the categories, you'll be able to login to the app.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have made the grave mistake of uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Now it just crashes immediately upon entering my username and password. I guess I'm out till the next update :/

Just keep trying it every so often. It will eventually work once whatever causes it on the forums side mysteriously corrects itself again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's working now, in fact.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Getting the crash but found a workaround (if you are still logged in)

Home screen -> airplane mode -> launch -> favorites -> un-airplane mode

Ymmv based on how many favorites you have I guess. You could go onto the web, star some threads, do the trick above, refresh favorites and :justpost:

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

Nude posted:

I downloaded the app from the App Store and I don't have experimental features or mobile turn on in my SA account. I never log into SA in safari.

Dicked around in the general>data usage settings and deleted all my safari data.

Went back to the app and it stopped crashing. No idea if they're related but there you go.

This is on an iPhone 5 (original).

This worked for me too. iPhone 6s

*Edit: crashing again :iiam:

Discount Dracula fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 18, 2016

hungry for crepes n shit
Aug 17, 2005

UIApplication posted:

Getting the crash but found a workaround (if you are still logged in)

Home screen -> airplane mode -> launch -> favorites -> un-airplane mode

Ymmv based on how many favorites you have I guess. You could go onto the web, star some threads, do the trick above, refresh favorites and :justpost:

That works for me, thanks.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Didn't someone say you could 3d touch into the favorites from the home screen to get around the crash, too

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

anthonypants posted:

Didn't someone say you could 3d touch into the favorites from the home screen to get around the crash, too

I can confirm this works.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Anything that lets you avoid the main forum listing should get you around the crash. If you know the ID number of a forum, you could go to awful://forums/<ID> in Safari to jump to it in Awful.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I don't know if this helps or anything but I just downloaded it and I am using it

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I'm having a very odd issue with links in posts. Anytime I press a link, it usually opens as normal. (I say usually because if I'm using one of the YOSPOS themes, pressing links just causes a few pixels of upward scrolling and doesn't actually open the link.) The problems start when I hit done or swipe back from the safari view. All of the controls in the app become unresponsive. The options button and share button do nothing, the back to forums button in the top left does nothing, the page select button does nothing, the add reply button does nothing, and the options button on each post does nothing. And I also cannot press on additional links after this. I get one link and then I am forced to restart the app in order to do anything further. All I can do is change pages after clicking a link. I can't even get to a different thread since all the controls are dead.

I have a 6s and it seems to me like the issue might be with 3D Touch since my Air 2 does not seem to exhibit this issue at all. But I have no idea if that's actually it or not. Interestingly, I have zero issues with the app crashing on start and never have. But I'm hesitant to delete and reinstall the app in case I switch out links of death for a totally dead app. :confused:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

SaturdayKnight posted:

(I say usually because if I'm using one of the YOSPOS themes, pressing links just causes a few pixels of upward scrolling and doesn't actually open the link.)

This isn't actually related to the YOSPOS themes. It's a known issue that I don't think anybody's been able to fix yet. If you scroll a little bit so that the "Parent Forum/Previous Posts/Scroll to End" buttons are fully visible, the links should work correctly.

quote:

The problems start when I hit done or swipe back from the safari view. All of the controls in the app become unresponsive. The options button and share button do nothing, the back to forums button in the top left does nothing, the page select button does nothing, the add reply button does nothing, and the options button on each post does nothing. And I also cannot press on additional links after this. I get one link and then I am forced to restart the app in order to do anything further. All I can do is change pages after clicking a link. I can't even get to a different thread since all the controls are dead.

This one is actually caused by a bug in iOS. The issue seems to be fixed in the iOS 9.3 betas, so you'll have to wait for that, but there are a couple ways to avoid running in to the issue.

The first workaround is to hit Done instead of swiping back. I know you mentioned hitting Done, but I'm pretty sure if you really start paying attention you'll notice it only happens when you swipe back. The other workaround is to just swipe more slowly. The issue seems to only happen when you swipe quickly.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Diabolik900 posted:

The first workaround is to hit Done instead of swiping back. I know you mentioned hitting Done, but I'm pretty sure if you really start paying attention you'll notice it only happens when you swipe back. The other workaround is to just swipe more slowly. The issue seems to only happen when you swipe quickly.

Very odd but I kinda figured by the way the app behaved it seemed more an iOS feature issue and not the app. I'll try and pay more attention to swiping versus tapping done, I just love the swipe to go back gesture so much. Glad my app isn't totally borked though.

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Diabolik900 posted:

This one is actually caused by a bug in iOS. The issue seems to be fixed in the iOS 9.3 betas, so you'll have to wait for that, but there are a couple ways to avoid running in to the issue.

Think again. I'm running 9.3 Beta 3 and I'm still encountering this bug.

Latest public release of awful, iPhone 5s.

• Locked thread