Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Man I started a new game to mess around a little and hit up the bell brothers to gain chunks (bell points) for a weapon and now it's a day later and I've got 60 some chunks and haven't done squat!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Basically the earlier you become a bellbro the more chunks you are going to get. At a certain point you'll stop getting hits and then suddenly you'll start getting a bunch of hits. I dunno there's really no pattern to it.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I'm over 500k now and still getting constant luna summons which seems unusually high as I remember it but I'm not complaining.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ponzicar posted:

Maybe I played too much Everquest back in the day, but I find that mmo style pulling works pretty well on that room. Tag the melee ones with an arrow, and let them come to you one at a time. There are others that are triggered when you walk through a certain area, so walk through that area then immediately retreat to the previous room where you can dispatch them safely. For the archers, I just counter snipe them, which is slow, but easy to do.

That's all fine and good, but it takes forever and is kind of tedious. And that would be just fine, except if you die to Smelter Demon you have to do loving all of it over again. That's the real issue.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I played the gently caress out of this at launch but I fell off before the DLC dropped and I'm looking to to do a full clear of everything before DSIII comes out: what kind of a tryhard build will carry me through with minimal issues? Are power-stanced maces still king?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Edit ^^^^ strike damage is still king yes.

I wish more DS bosses had the gimmick of not necessarily having to hit you to slowly damage and whittle you down, or of creative zoning period. The only ones I can think about are Quelaag, Smelter, Nashandra and the headless thing in bloodborne. Honorable mention to the Chariot boss whose arena IS the boss fight. More bosses need to use their arena as well as their attacks. Like someone earlier said, soloing things like the throne defenders is the height of tedium in the game, nothing different mechanically than the old knights in that circular arena in Heide. Just run around waiting until you can poke.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Your Computer posted:

It doesn't help that enemies stop respawning, so instead of potentially taking hours/days/weeks to farm something you might just... not get it. There are ascetics, but they have the unfortunate side-effect of making the mobs harder and harder.
Just get in the covenant that keeps enemies from despawning

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

The Crooked Warden posted:

I played the gently caress out of this at launch but I fell off before the DLC dropped and I'm looking to to do a full clear of everything before DSIII comes out: what kind of a tryhard build will carry me through with minimal issues? Are power-stanced maces still king?

I wouldn't say they're king, but they're still very good. Dex build with a rapier for big enemies and a spear for other stuff is very strong too. Otherwise, if you know where to go and how to get all the stuff to make it work, hexes with dark orb spam is probably the easiest, but also most boring way to play the game.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I played this back at launch, and beat it. I also played the DLC as it launched, and that was fun.

I bought Scholar of the First Sin because I forgot I already had the DLC, and I started a new game... Whats up with the changes to loot and enemies? No Heide Knight by that tree, an ogre at the river?? And a Grand Lance by the Kings Door, and the door is guarded by a tower shield knight?
Did I accidentally join the hardmode Covenant?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Annath posted:

So I played this back at launch, and beat it. I also played the DLC as it launched, and that was fun.

I bought Scholar of the First Sin because I forgot I already had the DLC, and I started a new game... Whats up with the changes to loot and enemies? No Heide Knight by that tree, an ogre at the river?? And a Grand Lance by the Kings Door, and the door is guarded by a tower shield knight?

Welcome to SotFS

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I like how there are Hollow Soldiers attacking a Giant Tree in the keep.

However, the elevator to get to/from the Last Giant broke: the button stayed depressed after I beat him. If I hadn't had a Homeward Bone, I would have had to jump to my death :saddowns:

Also, where can I get a Heide Sword if the Knight is gone?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Annath posted:

A lot of items and enemies have been changed up in SotFS, mostly for the better in terms of level design, and the novelty makes the game more interesting if you played through the original version. If you want to find Heide Knights there are a bunch near the Dragonrider and demiOrnstein. Covenant of Champions is great because enemies never despawn while you're a member, I think that's a change for SotFS but I could be mistaken. In general SotFS is more fun for me than the original, there are just a couple of places that are harder than before. Protip: bring lots of poison arrows to the Iron keep, pull Weeabos from a distance with a single arrow and poison the archer ones, otherwise you'll get ganked pretty badly.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Is there still a way to despawn one of the Ring of Blades +2 knights in PS4 SotFS? I am having no luck with that fight, keep getting my rear end kicked. I can parry the duo some of the time, but one mistime will get me killed because I don't have much health or armor on my fast-rolling quality build.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

Is there still a way to despawn one of the Ring of Blades +2 knights in PS4 SotFS? I am having no luck with that fight, keep getting my rear end kicked. I can parry the duo some of the time, but one mistime will get me killed because I don't have much health or armor on my fast-rolling quality build.

If they haven't changed anything, getting hit by the curse stab of one will cause the other to lose focus on you long enough to zone out.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Filthy Hans posted:

A lot of items and enemies have been changed up in SotFS, mostly for the better in terms of level design, and the novelty makes the game more interesting if you played through the original version. If you want to find Heide Knights there are a bunch near the Dragonrider and demiOrnstein. Covenant of Champions is great because enemies never despawn while you're a member, I think that's a change for SotFS but I could be mistaken. In general SotFS is more fun for me than the original, there are just a couple of places that are harder than before. Protip: bring lots of poison arrows to the Iron keep, pull Weeabos from a distance with a single arrow and poison the archer ones, otherwise you'll get ganked pretty badly.

I killed one of them with barely a tiny sliver of health left, then misjudged the safe zone on the other's dark orb orgasm and died while healing. I panicked because the one I killed had dropped something, but when I came back and killed the other, it dropped the ring of blades +2. I might be wrong here, but if you can survive just long enough to kill one, it might be enough. Of course, they're easy 1-on-1, so maybe that's not saying much.

Annath posted:

Also, where can I get a Heide Sword if the Knight is gone?

The Heide Knight Sword is now a random drop and you have to farm heide knights in the tower of flame (ugh). But the Heide Spear, the one true Heide Weapon, is still a guaranteed drop, it just shows up a little bit later.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 17, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alabaster White posted:

If they haven't changed anything, getting hit by the curse stab of one will cause the other to lose focus on you long enough to zone out.

I got curse stabbed and it didn't despawn the other, so no dice

Orv
May 4, 2011

Filthy Hans posted:

I got curse stabbed and it didn't despawn the other, so no dice

In vanilla 2 it doesn't despawn, the second one just kind of floats around laconically for a few seconds so you can run behind the throne and bone.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Krowley posted:

Just get in the covenant that keeps enemies from despawning

This is news to me :stare: If it's the covenant of champions, what more does it do in SotFS?

I wish I knew before I wiped out all the Heide Knights.. Or does it also work retroactively?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Your Computer posted:

This is news to me :stare: If it's the covenant of champions, what more does it do in SotFS?

I wish I knew before I wiped out all the Heide Knights.. Or does it also work retroactively?
Yes it does

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Filthy Hans posted:

Yeah. You have to leave the throne room while one of them is in an attack animation but the other isn't, and re-enter the room before that attack animation finishes. The one that wasn't in an attack animation will disappear.

Orv
May 4, 2011
:catstare:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

Is there a way to turn the name filter off on steam I'm tired of invading K***ts.

Yes. Well, I dunno if this works in SOTFS, I don't have it, but it did in vanilla. http://tay.kinja.com/the-dark-souls-2-pc-name-censor-how-to-avoid-and-disa-1580435881

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Another question; did curved sword parries get completely ruined in SotFS, or am I just that rusty? I remember using the Warped Sword twohanded and having great success parrying everything but now I can even properly parry Hollow Soldiers :whitewater:
Parry shields still feel the same.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Suitaru posted:

Yes. Well, I dunno if this works in SOTFS, I don't have it, but it did in vanilla. http://tay.kinja.com/the-dark-souls-2-pc-name-censor-how-to-avoid-and-disa-1580435881

Ok... Thank you.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

argondamn posted:

Yeah. You have to leave the throne room while one of them is in an attack animation but the other isn't, and re-enter the room before that attack animation finishes. The one that wasn't in an attack animation will disappear.

This sounds like discovering Mew by figuring out you need to push the truck with a Graveler that you taught Roll-Out to. I don't know if it's worth playing through the game again to that point to find out if this is right or not. I've done it like 8 times at this point and I'm a little burnt out.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Gologle posted:

This sounds like discovering Mew by figuring out you need to push the truck with a Graveler that you taught Roll-Out to. I don't know if it's worth playing through the game again to that point to find out if this is right or not. I've done it like 8 times at this point and I'm a little burnt out.
It's not actually that hard so long as you only "leave" the throne room for a few seconds. Running out and back in while only one of them is performing an attack is usually sufficient, and has little chance of making both disappear.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
On today's episode of "What the gently caress were you thinking, From?" - The Undead Crypt!

Stones! Bells! And more invaders than you can count on all your digits, feet included! At the same time! Even pulling teeth isn't this fun!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
By invaders you mean those loving mages, right?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Suitaru posted:

It will work for you, however unless you do certain name shenanigans it doesn't fix your name showing properly to others.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

argondamn posted:

Thanks, I'll try this

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Your Computer posted:

On today's episode of "What the gently caress were you thinking, From?" - The Undead Crypt!

Stones! Bells! And more invaders than you can count on all your digits, feet included! At the same time! Even pulling teeth isn't this fun!

No one to blame but yourself for lighting those torches. The wraith looking dudes are pretty miserable though. I got my revenge when I murdered them for about an hour straight to farm up two blue flames.

The trick is that you can break their spawn statues and those do not respawn.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Your Computer posted:

And more invaders than you can count on all your digits, feet included!

That's your fault -- you were told not to light anything in there.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Obligatum VII posted:

No one to blame but yourself for lighting those torches. The wraith looking dudes are pretty miserable though. I got my revenge when I murdered them for about an hour straight to farm up two blue flames.

The trick is that you can break their spawn statues and those do not respawn.

I've played the vanilla game for several hundred hours, having difficult enemies spawn sounded like fun. Their locations in conjunction with the awful new design on the other hand wasn't :whitewater:

Even getting through the tombstones without any enemies takes a while, and it's so ill suited for many weapon types. I suppose they were trying to cut down on running straight to the shortcut, but the new Crypt is some seriously lazy design.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Is there a list of all the gameplay and enemy changes in SotFS?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm using dual scimitar power stance right now, and may switch to falchion. Are there any other dex weapons I should be keeping an eye out for? I just reached huntsmans and have gone through sinner and the rotten.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mr E posted:

I'm using dual scimitar power stance right now, and may switch to falchion. Are there any other dex weapons I should be keeping an eye out for? I just reached huntsmans and have gone through sinner and the rotten.

Warped Sword has a unique powerstance moveset that's pretty cool and works well with thrusting swords.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Warped Sword has a unique powerstance moveset that's pretty cool and works well with thrusting swords.

The Warped Sword's basic R1 chain is also slightly different, it starts with the upward-swinging attack that's normally the second in the chain for scimitars etc. It comes out a little faster, I think.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Suitaru posted:

Like 8 variations of sodom (-ize, -ist, etc) but not sodomite? Guess I got the charname for my next run lined up

Elerion
May 31, 2011
I find it hilarious and kind of ironic that "but" and "hole" are on the censored name list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mr E posted:

Try power stancing rapiers, they do good to great damage depending on what rings you wear and R2 is a parry even in the power stance. Huntsman's Copse has the barbed whip, whips are fun for power stancing too once your dex is high enough. Katanas are probably good too but I don't know for sure because I never use them.