Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Perhaps we should just low jack the whole country and track their location at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Anidav posted:

Projected Senate composition in a double dissolution election
NSW Coalition 7, ALP 4, Greens 1
Vic Coalition 6, ALP 4, Greens 2
Qld Coalition 7, ALP 4, Greens 1
WA Coalition 7, ALP 4, Greens 1
Tas Coalition 6, ALP 4, Greens 2
SA Coalition 5, ALP 3, Greens 1, Xenophon 3
ACT Coalition 1, ALP 1
NT Coalition 1, ALP 1
Total: Coalition 40, ALP 25, Greens 8, Xenophon 3

Something tells me this is a flawed analysis from a bunch of clowns.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Not that specific report (I'm skimming through now), but replacing fuel excise with congestion pricing is a pretty standard suggestion. The general idea isn't to put tolls everywhere but in areas like city CBDs where you want to reduce traffic. It also has the benefit of accounting for hybrid or petrol-free cars.

E: There's a recommendation to start tracking heavy vehicles (via satellite etc) and charging them based on road usage, with the argument being that lots of these trucks are already tracked, that one truck causes more road damage than a thousand cars, and that successful similar schemes have been implemented elsewhere.

I suppose that's one way, but it's different from how the article presented it. Problem with reporting, I guess.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

#thrBC posted:

Ballarat bishop agrees to be sued for historic sex abuse claims in lieu of dead predecessor

A Catholic bishop in regional Victoria has agreed to be sued for sex abuse claims dating back to the 1960s, standing in the place of his long-dead predecessor.

On January 1 a new set of guidelines came into effect, agreed to by the nation's 33 Catholic dioceses, and hundreds of religious orders.

They oblige all Church authorities to provide an entity for victims to sue, such as a trustee, even where the person responsible for overseeing the alleged abuse has since died.

In Ballarat, current bishop Paul Bird has volunteered to put himself forward as the defendant.

"In some way, the bishop carries the history of the community with them," Bishop Bird said.

"And so if the community, in a way, is going to address the history, they can do that in the most direct way, through the bishop at the time."

Bishop Bird's diocese has perhaps the worst record of clergy child abuse in the country, and the notorious paedophile priest Gerard Ridsdale is responsible for much of it.

Bishop Bird's stance means Ridsdale's early victims, abused when the former bishop James O'Collins was in charge up until 1971, can now sue the diocese.

"I've inherited the history of the community, for good and for ill, and therefore should be ready to address that history in so far as it needs to be addressed," Bishop Bird said.

"In some cases these may be covered by insurance, in other cases it would be the diocese itself that would have to meet any costs."

That bold bit is :magical:

Do they specifically have pedo insurance? Is it possible that the church may end up not being able to get insurance because it becomes to cost prohibitive? Could insurance companies bring the catholic church to it's knees, like they so often did to children.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Amoeba102 posted:

Make drivers pay for the roads they use, tracked how? What put a toll both at the end of every street? The fuel excise is a way of making you pay for the driving you do that is relatively simple to implement. Without details it seems pretty dumb. Anyone read the report?
I skim read it but they actually claim they want to implement it for heavy vehicles :dogbutton: :aaaaa: Generally full of the sort of motherhood, market knows best, drivel that comes out of Neo-con think tanks. The whole first chapter is headed 'Productivity' and that throws red flags all around the joint for me.

If heavy goods vehicles were somehow (The how wasn't made clear) charged the full cost of their road use (rather than being heftily subsidised by private car users via registration) it would drive freight onto a railway system that is struggling to cope with its current freight share. This could be fixed by a massive investment in rail freight. Otherwise expect the cost of goods freighted by roads to maybe double? Don't know the detail there but Trucks do ~10000 time the damage to roads that private motor vehicles do and accurate cost transfer would make operating a B-Double cost around the same as operating a commuter aircraft like the ATR.

It also makes lots of positive noises about Public Transport so :shrug:

I'll either read it in depth or wait for someone I trust to publish an analysis.

tl;dr Too soon to tell

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Amoeba102 posted:

I suppose that's one way, but it's different from how the article presented it. Problem with reporting, I guess.
The report itself is pretty light on specifics of implementation; it's got that recommendation for heavy vehicle, and then some more general "look into this later" ones for light vehicle / car pricing.

London-style congestion pricing gets suggested every so often for the Sydney CBD; there were a bunch of articles about it late last year but nothing came of it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Amoeba102 posted:

They have road user charges for diesel cars in New Zealand. You pre-pay in blocks of 1000km, like topping up a prepaid phone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_User_Charges_(RUC)
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/licensing-rego/road-user-charges/ruc-rates-and-transaction-fees/

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Cunneen watch.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-16/brad-hazzard-faces-questioning-over-involvement-in-cuneen-probe/7173978

quote:

New South Wales Government Minister Brad Hazzard has come under pressure in Parliament over his dealings with a witness to the car accident that sparked a corruption inquiry into Crown Prosecutor Margaret Cunneen.

Key points:

Brad Hazzard confirmed a witness of the accident in Margaret Cunneen probe contacted him
He said he put the witness in touch with ICAC, but could not recall providing Ms Cunneen's phone number
The State Government's legal representative said Mr Hazzard has not done anything illegal

Under questioning from Labor, Mr Hazzard said a witness to the car accident contacted his office when he was attorney-general, after the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) announced it was investigating the incident.

Just what the gently caress is a government minister doing giving people's phone numbers out? Especially as it it clearly such a common occurrence he can't loving recall just like every other LNP numbty since forever. This poo poo needs to be aired in a proper forum (i.e. not the press/parliament). Speaking of which, today's Tele front page includes a banner 'Halal Diggers' because the army is doing religiously tolerant food sourcing. Did I miss the bit where the ADF declared war on an entire religion? Oh wait I think it must have been Ray Hadley but I really don't recall.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced a deal has been done with two crossbench MPs to pass the State Government's lockout laws for clubs and pubs.

Under the measures agreed to with both Katter's Australian Party MPs, convicted drug offenders can be banned from "Safe Night" precincts.

The minority government delayed debate on its bill until today while it negotiated with crossbench MPs.

The Tackling Alcohol-Fuelled Violence Legislation Amendment Bill, to be debated later today, will impose last drinks at 2:00am, or at 3:00am in entertainment precincts, from July 1 this year.

However the Katter MPs have won a compromise, with the Government agreeing to postpone a 1:00am lockout in entertainment precincts until July next year.

In return for the KAP's support, the Government also agreed to its request for the Working Queensland Cabinet Committee to meet in Mt Isa and Charters Towers.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Anidav posted:

Under the measures agreed to with both Katter's Australian Party MPs, convicted drug offenders can be banned from "Safe Night" precincts.

If we have the ability to do this, why would it be limited to drug offenders and not those convicted of violent crime?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Anidav posted:

both Katter's Australian Party MPs, convicted drug offenders can be banned from "Safe Night" precincts.

Skimmed and missed the first part of this sentence and was excited for a second. Now you're just trying to be Sydney but you're not cool Queensland and imitation isn't the sincerest form of flattery if you do it so bad it just looks pathetic, we just say that to make you feel better about yourself.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Might as well have re-elected Newman.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

open24hours posted:

Might as well have re-elected Newman.
Don't say things you can't take back.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
I can't even find anything on this being about alcohol violence. It all just seems drug crime related. The Tackling Alcohol-Fuelled Violence Legislation Amendment Bill having nothing to do alcohol-fuelled violence would be pretty funny.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Former Victoria Liberal Party state director Damien Mantach, 42, has pleaded guilty to 44 charges related to ripping off $1.5 million in party funds.

He appeared via videolink and will be back before Victoria's County Court in early May.

The money, raised through donations and other fundraising, was meant to be spent on the 2014 Victorian election, which saw the Liberal-National Coalition government lose office after just one term.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Probably found a better use of the funds anyway.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It should make fortitude valley safer right???

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Birb Katter posted:

Former Victoria Liberal Party state director Damien Mantach, 42, has pleaded guilty to 44 charges related to ripping off $1.5 million in party funds.

He appeared via videolink and will be back before Victoria's County Court in early May.

The money, raised through donations and other fundraising, was meant to be spent on the 2014 Victorian election, which saw the Liberal-National Coalition government lose office after just one term.
Is there a Victorian State honours scheme. I'd like to nominate him for a gong.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Cartoon posted:

Is there a Victorian State honours scheme. I'd like to nominate him for a gong.

Yeah, Libs down there were tanking themselves hard anyway but you can bet your bottom dollar that there aren't going to be many friends for him left after pulling this on them. You just know they've gone 'what if we had a million more for ad spending' over this. Probably part of the reason he was convicted tbh, they'll close ranks around the corrupt poo poo they do for each other but this isn't a friend winner.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7COsEcefFc

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
I just got an SMS from Telstra telling me how to get information on Electromagnetic Energy (they used caps in the SMS) and how to reduce exposure from mobile phone usage. The woo is so loving strong and we are all dumber for giving them a platform.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

norp posted:

Perhaps we should just low jack the whole country and track their location at all times.

This is pretty much what the telco data retention regime will achieve.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Can we put Newman in a hole? I don't think there's a risk of him becoming Premier again but it feels like something that should be done anyway.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't know what sort of hole in particular but at least deep enough so that while standing in it, his head would be below ground level.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Skellybones posted:

I don't know what sort of hole in particular but at least deep enough so that while standing in it, his head would be below ground level.

A composting toilet! Cartoon it's your time to shine!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I'm on it! Although it does mean travelling to Queensland.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'd want his head slightly above ground so you can see his bald head.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I'd want it slightly above ground so I could hit it with a bat

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Or slap it like a drum while singing about the benefits of fluoride.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

It should make fortitude valley safer right???

Those who would give up essential LSD, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither LSD nor Safety.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

The Turnbull government would seize a rare, absolute majority in the Senate if it finalises a deal on voting reform and calls a double-dissolution election, according to two experts on the preference system.
The Greens - who are negotiating with the Coalition to end "preference harvesting" among minor parties - would likely lose two of its current 10 senators if it agrees to support reforms and both houses of Parliament are dissolved.
A review of voting data by Graham Askey and Peter Breen, veteran players in minor party preference negotiations, forecasts the Coalition would win 40 Senate seats - a gain of seven - while Labor would remain anchored at 25 under the proposed changes being sought by the government.

Antony Green posted:

Could voting reform lead to the Coalition winning a Senate majority at a double dissolution? It is a claim that has set the dogs running this morning after analysis by the Renewable Energy Party claimed it would. (See Sydney Morning Herald article here.) The claim is the Coalition would win 7 of the 12 vacancies in three states delivering the Turnbull government a Senate majority.

It is a claim that doesn't stand up to analysis.

First let me point out that the self-interest here on the part of the two who have done the analysis, Peter Breen and Graham Askey. Both are part of the Renewable Energy Party, a micro-party currently applying for registration. Both have been involved in previous micro-parties and Breen was one of the micro-party members elected from the famous 1999 NSW Legislative Council tablecloth ballot paper. Breen, along with preference 'whisperer' Glenn Druery, worked briefly on the staff of Victorian Motoring Enthusiast Senator Ricky Muir after his surprise election in 2013.

So Breen has some self-interest in opposing the suggested Senate reform as it would destroy the micro-party business model.

Let me deal with the suggestion that the Coalition can win 7 seats in a single state.

To elect six Senators at a double dissolution, the Coalition would need to reach 46.2% of the first preference vote. If they poll more than 46.2%, they have a candidate in the race for a seventh seat, but realistically the Coalition would need close to 50% of the first preference vote to elect seven Senators. But if the Coalition poll less than 46.2% of the vote, it would be impossible for it to elect seven members from a single ticket. For Breen to claim the Coalition will win seven seats in NSW, Queensland and WA is to say the party will poll more than 46.2% of the vote.

How often has the Coalition done that at Senate elections? Here's the list of first preference Coalition votes above 46.2% since 1990.

Queensland 1996 50.3%
Western Australia 1990 46.2%
Western Australia 1993 50.1%
Western Australia 1996 47.5%
Western Australia 2004 50.2%
Western Australia 2007 47.7%
Western Australia 2010 46.4%
South Australia 2004 47.5%

The above cases are the only instances in the last quarter century where the Coalition could have won seven seats at a double dissolution, yet Breen and Askey are claiming it will happen in three states in 2016, including NSW and Victoria. If the Liberals and Nationals ran separate tickets in WA and Queensland, they could in special circumstances get an extra Senate seat by splitting their vote across two tickets. This was how the Coalition won four seats in Queensland at the 2004 half-Senate election.

Yet in their analysis, Breen and Askey claim that Labor and the Greens risk losing seats to a single Coalition ticket because of split votes, so it would be odd to reverse the argument and say splitting votes wouldn't disadvantage the Coalition.

In his argument explaining why Labor and the Greens could help the Coalition, Breen quotes a half-Senate race where Labor and the Greens split the 'left' vote and allow the Coalition to win, but he assumes the Coalition would get 53.6% of the vote.

Let's face facts. If the Coalition get the 50% of the vote to win seven Senate seats in NSW, Victoria and WA, then the Turnbull government would be returned to office with a massive House majority.

Under both the current and the proposed electoral system, a party would come close to winning seven Senate seats if its vote was above 50%. This system is proportional representation, and if a party gets more than half of the vote, there is always a reasonable chance it will get a proportionate outcome which is more than half the seats.

The current Senate electoral system could just as easily produce the same result. However, you would have to work out the labyrinthine preference flows and factor in the random factors produce by voters needing to use magnifying glasses on the over-sized ballot papers in under-sized fonts.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is Cuneen going to weasel her way out of this?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Brisgoons, anyone have good experiences doing their RSA, preferably online? Looking to do one and a lot look dodgy.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Solemn Sloth posted:

Weird that a guy who makes his money from shuffling micro party preferences would release a report scaring the greens away from abolishing micro party preferencing

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zenithe posted:

Brisgoons, anyone have good experiences doing their RSA, preferably online? Looking to do one and a lot look dodgy.

They're all dodgy, but RSA/RSG is such a joke of a cert that it doesn't matter. Anything which has the RTO logo on its cert is fine. Go with the cheapest one.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

My last boss did the online RSA renewal test for everyone when he had a spare afternoon.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

They are all shadey.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Welsper posted:

They're all dodgy, but RSA/RSG is such a joke of a cert that it doesn't matter. Anything which has the RTO logo on its cert is fine. Go with the cheapest one.

Cool, thanks.

edit: $10, 50 000 reviews for the course lol

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 17, 2016

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Welsper posted:

RSA/RSG is such a joke

Just a radical thought here but maybe there should be a focus on making RSAs not a joke instead of having lockouts etc.

I'm not sure why they even bother with them at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

MonoAus posted:

Just a radical thought here but maybe there should be a focus on making RSAs not a joke instead of having lockouts etc.

I'm not sure why they even bother with them at the moment.

Ditch RSA's and have breath test run every time you buy a drink, fire anyone who fails a test into the sun.

• Locked thread