Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Really? Bah, I only kid because i hate the usaf for some reason.

I crewed a block 15 B model, 79-0417, and a number of block 40 C models when I was at Eglin. They're pretty neat jets, but what makes Super Hornets so inferior?

This explains a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

xaarman posted:

They're back to entertaining, but not before the Blue Angels got a far superior reputation. If I had to guess (and I base this on speculation only) the Thunderbirds had a really risk adverse Commander come through.

More likely someone/someone's somewhere in their chain came through who was risk averse.

Blues work for like one layer removed from CNO's office, almost like a DRU. Thunderchickens on the other hand work for the 57th, who works for the USAFWC, who works for ACC, who works for CSAF (with a healthy layer of bureaucracy on the Air Staff there as well). There's like eleven layers of bureaucracy they have to go through to get anything done, and that goes double for their routine approval process

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This explains a lot.

I'm going to short circuit the crew chief slap fight by pointing out you're both retarded, you were enlisted maintenance (and crew chiefs at that, the only 2-series AFSCs more retarded than you are 2W-somethings)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A good crew chief is a lifesaver.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

A good crew chief is a lifesaver.

They're like idiot savants: really good at one thing (fixing jets), but the rest of their life is a mess of bad decisions

of course here is where I point out that I've been told multiple times that I have way more technical aptitude than the average mx o (which isn't saying much), so I'm probably closer to that end of the spectrum than I'd like to think

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Crew Chiefs are literally the worst.

Gayest job in the gayest AFSC sub group in the second gayest service after the USMC.

They're like the guys at the drive thru oil changing place but with jets and rape.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I don't know if that's true. Yea there's probably a few percentage points in favor of the average aircrew guy standing a better chance of having his poo poo together. I've known FE's of all types. Solid family men, single dudes who party and get poo poo done, older guys who are chill, and then the walking disaster types.

There was the latter at Tinker. This guy was a loving mess of a human. How he got by in the latter of his career is a small mystery up until the point he actively tanked it. Motherfucker has a rash of incidents like missing flights, busting a check ride, or being hungover at work. Ice was thin for this dude. So this guy shows up for his re-check, and let me clarify that he was a schoolhouse FE and squadron instructor so he wasn't always dumb, and on short final he pulls out his cell phone to text his side girl. I mean short final. Like a mile out.

Dude got Q3'ed on the spot and found himself on the way out the door.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Seriously their real job is analogous to working at a loving jiffy lube for jets.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Seriously their real job is analogous to working at a loving jiffy lube for jets.

This is almost exactly what I tell people when they ask what I did in the military :smith:

Also way to shut down the eternal F-15/F-16 holy war iyaayas01

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 15, 2016

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

I'm going to short circuit the crew chief slap fight by pointing out you're both retarded, you were enlisted maintenance (and crew chiefs at that, the only 2-series AFSCs more retarded than you are 2W-somethings)

:( (You're right tho.)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Also way to shut down the eternal F-15/F-16 holy war iyaayas01

well maybe one or both of you two could tell us your opinions on specs

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

This is almost exactly what I tell people when they ask what I did in the military :smith:

Jiffy Lube would owe you millions for getting into your sex life, too. So you worked at what was essentially a jiffy lube south of the Mason Dixon, in a red right to work state, for jets. Going Jiffy Lube wouldn't get you post 9/11 or VR&E, though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Specs are cool.

Except the one who tried to join ISIS.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Jiffy Lube would owe you millions for getting into your sex life, too. So you worked at what was essentially a jiffy lube south of the Mason Dixon, in a red right to work state, for jets. Going Jiffy Lube wouldn't get you post 9/11 or VR&E, though.

Pretend I made a joke here about N4I's sex life being like a jiffy lube for the USMC

e: Relevant unrelated story...so apparently the commonwealth air forces call their specs/pointy-heads "fairies." The guys at Red Flag-Alaska had picked up on this a few years before I'd gotten there from some Brits or Aussies who had come to an exercise. They'd taken to calling the couple specs that worked in our office "fairies." However there was also a very....."flamboyantly distinctive" individual who worked in the unit. So needless to say I was a bit taken aback when everyone in the office was asking "where the loving fairy" was at when I first got there, until I had things explained to me.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 15, 2016

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

iyaayas01 posted:

Pretend I made a joke here about N4I's sex life being like a jiffy lube for the USMC

He's only checking their oil though.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Ohh you were going for a crew chief joke.

I remember when I used to give a poo poo about pride in my job/what I used to do. I was probably a SrA 12 years ago or something. Now I'm trying to ride this train until the retirement station pulls up in 5 more stops.

The only reason 15s are better, for me, is they are more than 4 feet off the ground. I am far too tall to be working on what is barely more than a manned RPA.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 15, 2016

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

TBirds are gay as hell. Their stunts pale in comparison to Blue Angels performances.

One of our airman got an incentive flight on fat Albert during our last air show. He put a dickbutt sticker on it.. Somewhere.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched the practice run for the T-birds in the 2014 Travis airshow and it was pretty cool actually. It was just kind of tone deaf to have an airshow at Travis when the base command kept telling everyone how they're going to try and get rid of all the volunteer/voluntold stuff on base to free up manpower for actually doing the misison

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

I watched the practice run for the T-birds in the 2014 Travis airshow and it was pretty cool actually. It was just kind of tone deaf to have an airshow at Travis when the base command kept telling everyone how they're going to try and get rid of all the volunteer/voluntold stuff on base to free up manpower for actually doing the misison

My squadron commander straight up told the airshow committee that her unit won't provide any bodies for airshow details. She instantly became my favorite CC for that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A couple years ago some shithead with a TBirds placard thing in their rental car moved some cones I had set up and parked there. The cones were there because I'd had some jersey barriers movded so I could drive our lift up next to a tower. Thanks for delaying poo poo for more than an hour because you couldn't be bothered to park 100 feet further away.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Arc Light posted:

My squadron commander straight up told the airshow committee that her unit won't provide any bodies for airshow details. She instantly became my favorite CC for that.

Sucks about her career though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The best thing in the world is a sq/cc who intends to retire.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Godholio posted:

The best thing in the world is a sq/cc who intends to retire.

A mayor at the end of his/her life is IT's worst nightmare.

So that checks out.

(Wool)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I get that reference

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:golfclap:

theCops
Aug 13, 2004
Alright, here goes.

I have a draft EPR for my airman due tomorrow, and these are the bullet materials he gave me, with his sincere apologies, my comments to the right:

-1 of 10 volunteers to represent squadron during 9/11 5K memorial base run - ok, 1 volunteer bullet
-MC’d at P&R ceremony once (COMMENT: he botched this horribly; motherfucker can't read gud), but 2 volunteers
-Sponsored new incoming airman (airman never PCS’d here; however I’m trained/qualified for that) -- sooo, something you didn't do
-Bagged items, 4 hours at commissary with 6 others, helped raise $950 for the squadron booster club -- 3 volunteer bullets!
-Spent 5 hours volunteering with Habitat for Humanity to help provide homes for the needy (tore down walls, cleaned up debris, helped build a deck) -- 4 volunteer bullets!
-Volunteered entire day at camp woodlands, taught 38 kindergarteners about outdoor science (taught about erosion and caught some fish for them to poke at) -- ok, enough volunteer bullets
-Volunteered at Pershing Elementary on base, helped with school fun run, grades 3, 4, and 5 (tallied hundreds of kids’ laps for their mile run) -- poo poo, I can see where this is going
-Compliant/current on all ADLS training (even on gas mask inserts) -- nope
-Flight SAPR facilitator/Flight booster club alt. rep. (haven’t done anything with that since last EPR) -- ok, additional duties, that aren't bullets
*Planning on JQR all signed off on Monday 15 Feb -- nope
*Volunteering for dorm dinner on 16 Feb -- more volunteer bullets
*PT test in March -- nope

Like, what? That is all he has, because due to the fact that we're cybercom and deal with ft. meade nsa politics (read: they wish cybercom would just go the gently caress away and never come back, which is a sentiment I agree with), this A1C has spent 0 hours, 0 minutes doing his actual job since he got here in the beginning of 2015. He doesn't work in my shop, in fact, he sits in an office building by himself doing absolutely nothing, across town, where I cannot physically supervise him, on 6 hr "work days" while "awaiting integration". In other words, he sits on basically casuals and has been since he got in the air force. I just wrote a 20 month EPR for this guy, so it's not like he isn't cognizant of the fact that he needs to justify his existence in the limited capacity that he can.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how hosed is he? I'm going to send the 90% empty EPR up as a 3, maybe a 4 and wait for the festivities upon its return.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it really his fault nobody's given him any primary duties?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is he waiting for his clearance or polygraph to go through or something? I don't know what you're complaining about. An A1C's job isn't to give himself work. He's doing what he can with volunteer stuff. There should be something he can do somewhere besides sit in a room somewhere. You kind of got screwed I guess. Is he truly all by himself somewhere? Your squadron sounds hosed.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Really, unless he's in limbo due clearance stuff, which shouldn't negatively affect his EPR, isn't it your fault he has no job as his direct supervisor?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Why isn't he painting rocks or some poo poo?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Here at Keesler for two weeks.

These airman ladies are something else. I keep gettin older, they stay the same age :pedo:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Here at Keesler for two weeks.

These airman ladies are something else. I keep gettin older, they still have the same venereal diseases :supaburn:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Even the real up tight mousy looking ones? The ones that are a solid five stateside but a dime deployed? You know, the ones with buns SI rightly pulled back it looks like their jaw was pulled up?

theCops
Aug 13, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Really, unless he's in limbo due clearance stuff, which shouldn't negatively affect his EPR, isn't it your fault he has no job as his direct supervisor?

It comes down to the agency we are embedded with allowing (or in his case, not allowing) our cybercom guys to be officially enrolled, for lack of a better term, onto the joint agency mission. They've put a halt to putting any more people on the missions because there's nowhere else for people to sit, the guys we do send them are not properly trained, and we already have cybercom guys duplicating the effort of the nsa guys, which causes basically a personnel traffic jam. If it was up to me, I would have either sent the guy back to Wing casuals or PCA'd him a long time ago, if I couldn't give him work directly, which I can't because we're not aligned to the same mission, as compartmentalized as intel is. All I could have done during this period was, make sure he aces his CDC's and his classroom training, and strongly encourage him to volunteer for stuff and take college courses knowing strats are coming up.

All that being said, yes, it will be my fault, I'm sure.

theCops
Aug 13, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Is he waiting for his clearance or polygraph to go through or something? I don't know what you're complaining about. An A1C's job isn't to give himself work. He's doing what he can with volunteer stuff. There should be something he can do somewhere besides sit in a room somewhere. You kind of got screwed I guess. Is he truly all by himself somewhere? Your squadron sounds hosed.

His clearance is completely good to go, no issues there. I feel bad for the guy because he will get marked down for something completely out of his control. and for 4 months, he has done enough if only he had a job to get a normal EPR. There's no way I can justify putting him down as a 5 with a mostly empty EPR, which is supposed to be centered around job performance unless I just, i don't know, make poo poo up. Not that I haven't seen that happen before, which I have, and it was with this unit around this time last year when nobody had any work bullets because they were all in the same boat as my airman. I was an exception because I PCA'd from another unit, already fully qualified and with a few years experience, just hitting the ground running. The squadron at that point had just stood up. To this day, there are airmen and NCOs in the same position, which is, not doing anything for over a year because the squadron hasn't decided what exactly to do with them, or if they have, can't get NSA to agree to let them do their thing jointly aligned with the NSA side of the mission. Hence the political complaint. NSA people literally scoff when cybercom people walk in the room for many reasons, some invalid, but mostly valid. it's truly a sight to behold the sheer hate and angst between the two of them. The main reason is we've multiplied like rabbits over the last few years at fort meade, and fort meade stopped being able to accomodate us a couple years ago. We put the cart way before the horse.

And yes, he really does sit by himself, across town from me, unemployed, because there's nowhere else we can seat him while we work out an arrangement as the sister agency to support the joint mission with him involved, and even if he was gainfully employed, he'd work a different mission at a different location at a different time. While not making mentoring and OJT impossible, it's kinda far from being ideal.

I'm not even going to try to point fingers at any one individual, because that is absolutely not what is happening. It's an institutional level cluster gently caress from flag level all the way down.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Honestly with the new EPR system don't you fill in the blanks as best as possible, rate him as meets expectations and he gets a promote our higher rating like 85% of the Air Force?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What rank is he, and how long has he been out of the training pipeline?

Some of those bullets don't even work...what was the 5k run for? Charity? Did they raise money/awareness or something?

Whatever, it's a bunch of fluff bullets that are unrelated to his primary AFSC, so it sounds like your dude's a lock for O-5 at his next board.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Rythe posted:

Honestly with the new EPR system don't you fill in the blanks as best as possible, rate him as meets expectations and he gets a promote our higher rating like 85% of the Air Force?

This.

The honest answer is what expectations did you as his supervisor set for him? Because that's literally how the new form is set up, the categories range from "met some but not all expectations (also a referral)" to "exceeded most if not all expectations." If you didn't set any expectations for him beyond "do well on your CDC's and volunteer" then as long as he did that you need to honestly rate him as a down the middle "met all," which is honestly what your average A1C should be getting anyway.

Dude is an A1C so the promotion rating/forced distribution side of the EPR shouldn't come into play (they aren't even doing A1C static close-out), it's simply the performance rating portion. And for the love of god "3" (which doesn't exist anymore) is the new normal, people that insist on marking everyone all the way to the right "because that's the way it is" are what is ruining the attempt to make the EPR system not be hopelessly broken. Also if your unit is seriously "stratting" A1C's jesus loving christ

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
loving :lol: racking and stacking the A1C's now.

Goddamn I've never been happier to get a retirement check from Mother Air Force.

Jesus loving Christ.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm not really surprised. NSA civilians hate the military. Especially civilians who used to be in the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
He's hosed and you are probably hosed.

• Locked thread