Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm too much of a pussy to off him, and a 4 year old bantam wouldn't be good eating anyway. The neighbor practically begged us to take some of his bantams, so the rooster is getting used to two of them as we speak. It's dark, they're calm, fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hey santa baby posted:

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm too much of a pussy to off him, and a 4 year old bantam wouldn't be good eating anyway. The neighbor practically begged us to take some of his bantams, so the rooster is getting used to two of them as we speak. It's dark, they're calm, fingers crossed.

He'd be a perfectly fine stew or casserole. The neighbor is begging you to take these old birds because they aren't of any use. Hopefully you stop getting poached by whatever's taken the rest of your flock. If I remember correctly you're more of a pet chicken person than a livestock chicken person, though, so hey whatever floats your boat.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

He'd be a perfectly fine stew or casserole. The neighbor is begging you to take these old birds because they aren't of any use. Hopefully you stop getting poached by whatever's taken the rest of your flock. If I remember correctly you're more of a pet chicken person than a livestock chicken person, though, so hey whatever floats your boat.

Yeah, pet chickens for sure. One predator incident in 4 years isn't too alarming. The other hens died over time of various non-predator causes. Seeing the rooster miserable I couldn't handle though. We'll see how they're getting along.

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.

hey santa baby posted:

Yeah, pet chickens for sure. One predator incident in 4 years isn't too alarming. The other hens died over time of various non-predator causes. Seeing the rooster miserable I couldn't handle though. We'll see how they're getting along.

He's a bantam rooster. Not much there for the pot, while he would be much more valuable as a pet.

He'll be fine. He just wonders where his flock mates went. He's lonely. The neighbor's birds will be a consolation. "Old" and "of no use" are relative terms used by those who regard animals as disposable.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with keeping old chooks around as cuddly pets if you're okay with them not being very productive. He'll be happy with some new girlfriends.

If he does keep being a loud rear end in a top hat though, don't feel too bad about finding somewhere else for him to go. Roosters can be are noisy jerks.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

If he does keep being a loud rear end in a top hat though, don't feel too bad about finding somewhere else for him to go. Roosters can be are noisy jerks.

Trying to dump old animals on someone else is a dick move regardless of what type of animal it is. part of responsible animal husbandry is dealing with the lovely stuff at the end. If you can't deal with either culling them or providing for them when they're old, you don't really have any business owning them.

12_String posted:

"Old" and "of no use" are relative terms used by those who regard animals as disposable.

Most people get livestock because they serve a purpose, not because they're cute. Like if they're just pets to you, cool whatever but it's retarded to get up in arms because people who raise livestock for food or byproducts don't set up retirement homes for their non-producing animals. If you eat meat, it's even more asinine.

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.

Triangulum posted:

Trying to dump old animals on someone else is a dick move regardless of what type of animal it is. part of responsible animal husbandry is dealing with the lovely stuff at the end. If you can't deal with either culling them or providing for them when they're old, you don't really have any business owning them.

Nobody said anything about not providing for them. Additionally, no one actually stated how old these birds are. Dumping infirm animals on someone is indeed a dick move.

Triangulum posted:

Most people get livestock because they serve a purpose, not because they're cute. Like if they're just pets to you, cool whatever but it's retarded to get up in arms because people who raise livestock for food or byproducts don't set up retirement homes for their non-producing animals. If you eat meat, it's even more asinine.

The neighbors apparently don't view their chickens as livestock having kept them past their "best by" date.

So you seem to agree with me. Any perception of "up in arms" is yours. My point is that although you or Fluffy Bunnies, or whichever personality is in control at this moment (because you are utterly indistinguishable), value animals for their productive use only and dispose of them at your need and convenience, while many people prefer to allow them to live their lives to a natural conclusion. I find absolutely no issue with raising animals for meat. I also have no problem with people keeping them as pets. In both situations, respect is due the animal for providing either companionship or meat. The greater responsibility falls to the pet owner, who must know when an animal is too infirm to continue. One of my great joys is to see one of our 12 year old hens running about, chasing bugs along side our youngest. It happens more often than you might think.

Considering a different viewpoint to be retarded or asinine in spite of it's clear validity, however is part and parcel to a conversation with either of you two. It doesn't do much to engender a sense of thoughtfulness in your opinion and undermines any credibility you may have.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

12_String posted:

"Old" and "of no use" are relative terms used by those who regard animals as disposable.

I have an old, useless great dane who is nearly 11. I better bag him up and throw him in the trash, I guess.

Or wait, it can be used to discuss that the animal is both old, and actually completely non-productive. Which is True. He lays around and goes and shits in the yard and occasionally snorts in my face because he wants fed at 3pm instead of 7pm.

Pets are generally useless and they eventually get old if you aren't a piece of poo poo to them or they aren't unlucky in their lives. She's treating them like pets and that's fine and dandy. If she doesn't want to pop his dumb little neck, she doesn't have to. There's plenty of people and places where Balen would've been lunchmeat or dead long ago. And there's plenty of places (like my house) where that rooster would be in a pot right now.

Where do I send your goveg.com shirt, by the by? I can't imagine you're a hypocrite, sweetheart.

12_String posted:

My point is that although you or Fluffy Bunnies, or whichever personality is in control at this moment (because you are utterly indistinguishable)

Nice attempt at saying we're mentally ill (and using it as an insult) because you're upset that we'd butcher some worthless chickens, though. That's cool and good and definitely what a father of a tweenager should think :lol:

Triangulum lives thousands of miles from me and I was actually incredibly polite. I am about to not be.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I was hoping to make a chicken stew this week, anyone got any old chickens I could buy for their intended use as food.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Getting your opinions just helps putting my situation in perspective. I still need to decide on my own, and live with the decision.

For what it's worth, the rooster and his new mates were roosting together this morning. After they came out into the run they foraged together, making what sounds to me like regular chicken noises. No overt signs of stress in any of them, so this went about as well as I could have hoped. And also for what it's worth I'm grateful to everybody who said something.

Next project: getting them used to eating mealworms out of my hand.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

12_String posted:

Nobody said anything about not providing for them. Additionally, no one actually stated how old these birds are. Dumping infirm animals on someone is indeed a dick move.

The neighbors apparently don't view their chickens as livestock having kept them past their "best by" date.

So you seem to agree with me. Any perception of "up in arms" is yours. My point is that although you or Fluffy Bunnies, or whichever personality is in control at this moment (because you are utterly indistinguishable), value animals for their productive use only and dispose of them at your need and convenience, while many people prefer to allow them to live their lives to a natural conclusion. I find absolutely no issue with raising animals for meat. I also have no problem with people keeping them as pets. In both situations, respect is due the animal for providing either companionship or meat. The greater responsibility falls to the pet owner, who must know when an animal is too infirm to continue. One of my great joys is to see one of our 12 year old hens running about, chasing bugs along side our youngest. It happens more often than you might think.

Considering a different viewpoint to be retarded or asinine in spite of it's clear validity, however is part and parcel to a conversation with either of you two. It doesn't do much to engender a sense of thoughtfulness in your opinion and undermines any credibility you may have.

No, it's a dick move regardless of whether it's old and healthy or old and sick and getting ~someone else~ to take him because he's annoying you is absolutely not providing for him. What santa baby is doing is cool and good, your "if he's still noisy well just make him someone else's problem" is gross and makes it pretty obvious you don't value your ~pets~ nearly as much as you say you do.

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
People dumping roosters and spent hens on rescues in droves because they can't bear to cull their extras is becoming enough of a problem that it's actually undoing a lot of the work people have done to legalize owning chickens in urban/suburban areas so I don't think it's unjustified to be slightly annoyed at the pet chicken crowd who can't bear to off their lovely old roosters hth

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I only said kill the rooster because I thought the alternative was a lonely obnoxious cock but hey if you got him company then cool good on you.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
santa baby doesn't have to kill the rooster if they don't want to, they don't appear to be foisting off the rooster on anyone and they just took in some additional chickens so the problem is solved. What's the problem?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Lareine posted:

santa baby doesn't have to kill the rooster if they don't want to, they don't appear to be foisting off the rooster on anyone and they just took in some additional chickens so the problem is solved. What's the problem?

The issue isn't santa baby, he's doing a nice thing for his roo. People are taking issue with 12_string's "if hes still loud and annoying just give him to someone else" nonsense because

AsYouWish posted:

People dumping roosters and spent hens on rescues in droves because they can't bear to cull their extras is becoming enough of a problem that it's actually undoing a lot of the work people have done to legalize owning chickens in urban/suburban areas so I don't think it's unjustified to be slightly annoyed at the pet chicken crowd who can't bear to off their lovely old roosters hth

No one's obligated to kill their roosters but if you can't bear it, please have the decency to deal with your pet rather than making it someone else's problem

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
yeah that

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lareine posted:

There comes a certain amount of responsibility with having a rooster (or livestock in general). It's great that santa baby found some companions for him that made him shut the hell up. If he hadn't, people that are anti-chicken-pet-owners could easily cite a screaming rooster as a problem bird and try to get poo poo like that turned over. I don't think that's an issue where santa baby lives, but it is an issue with other places. There is a definite oddness I find in the pet chicken community where people will not euthanize sick, miserable or old birds, whereas they'll put down their pet dog the instant it's suffering, and it sincerely confuses me. I try to write it off as "you keep livestock, not pets, it's a different way of thinking" but it doesn't add up to me.

I'm currently doing a round of corid on all of my livestock because a bird brought cocci into my flock. I didn't go out there axes (hammers) blazing and murder everything: I'm treating them. But I did absolutely euthanize one bird that was nothing but skin and bones and couldn't hold herself up any longer, was covered in feces and was nearly gone anyway. And that's becoming A Bad Thing in some pet chicken keeping circles. The same with eating your birds.

Let's run a hypothetical. If the roo hadn't taken to these new hens and was still standing and screaming endlessly, would you be pro-butchering then? What if they rehomed the bird to another flock and he still stood there screaming because none of the other birds wanted to mix with him and/or he got mauled to death by the rest of the birds?

The above is actually an issue within my flocks of coturnix quail. If I have all but one bird die in a cage, that bird has to die too. They're too territorial and it's impossible to integrate them. I've tried very hard in the past and it Always ends up with a corpse with it's brains pecked out. Chickens can and do have the same reaction- especially when you only add one odd one out at a time.

The problem isn't with santa baby. The problem is with 12string's downright aggressive poo poo attitude and the fact that they hatch countless roosters (why I have no idea) and never butcher a single one. Instead, they keep multiple roos that sometimes get into knock down drag out fights and just crate and rotate the birds, basically, or give one away to a magical home that definitely won't butcher it, wink wink. And then he turns into a shithead about mental illnesses. Hint hint, Triangulum and me and wtftastic aren't the same people.

And I suppose the problem is with the urban chickens movement turning into "oh I keep my rooster who no longer does his job and also attacks the neighborhood dog on the dog's own property but I Couldn't Possibly butcher him." That's how we get chickens banned again and I'm seeing Tons of that poo poo.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Let's run a hypothetical. If the roo hadn't taken to these new hens and was still standing and screaming endlessly, would you be pro-butchering then? What if they rehomed the bird to another flock and he still stood there screaming because none of the other birds wanted to mix with him and/or he got mauled to death by the rest of the birds?

I have nothing against butchering at all, I merely think that you should at least make an attempt to solve the problem before literally putting the rooster on the chopping block, provided that the rooster had positive qualities besides loving hens. By having butchering be your go-to answer, you put yourself on the opposite end of the spectrum from the people who don't cull for any reason and it kind of comes off as trying to prove something.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
How do you figure? If you do eat your birds you might as well eat the ones who make problems and let the cool ones hang around. Doesn't seem to be much point in figuring out what a jerk's problem is if they're just gonna be soup anyways. Plus it's really satisfying to eat the mean as poo poo ones :getin:

At least that's how i view it with my roos. I'm keeping the two coolest ones and eating the rest. I certainly don't need 8 of them running around and I seriously doubt anyone's gagging for horny teenaged roosters.

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.

Triangulum posted:

... your "if he's still noisy well just make him someone else's problem" is gross and makes it pretty obvious you don't value your ~pets~ nearly as much as you say you do.

Not what I said AT ALL. Read it again and pay attention.

Lareine posted:

This is a poster with reading comprehension.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The problem isn't with santa baby. The problem is with 12string's downright aggressive poo poo attitude and the fact that they hatch countless roosters (why I have no idea) and never butcher a single one. Instead, they keep multiple roos that sometimes get into knock down drag out fights and just crate and rotate the birds, basically, or give one away to a magical home that definitely won't butcher it, wink wink. And then he turns into a shithead about mental illnesses. Hint hint, Triangulum and me and wtftastic aren't the same people.

If you have a magic method of sexing chicks in the egg, then do tell. We've never crated a roo in our life, so now you're just making poo poo up. Again. *yawn*

Triangulum posted:

People are taking issue with 12_string's "if hes still loud and annoying just give him to someone else" nonsense because

If by "people" you mean yourself and Fluffy Bunnies, fine. However you do give me another reason to believe you are indeed the same person. You have both conflated my statement in precisely the same way, making it easier to make your point, as convoluted as it is. Typical strawman crutch argument.

12_String fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 17, 2016

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015

12_String posted:

If by "people" you mean yourself and Fluffy Bunnies, fine. However you do give me another reason to believe you are indeed the same person. You have both conflated my statement in precisely the same way, making it easier to make your point, as convoluted as it is. Typical strawman crutch argument.

I know these people irl and they're not the same person lmao

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
If multiple people are misunderstanding your argument in exactly the same way, maybe the problem is your delivery not that we are all actually the same person you weirdo.

Re-reading though, I got you and crows everywhere confused (which is my bad) because you both do appear to be defending dumping old and irritating animals on other people as long as they aren't sick.

But keep pretending that the only way multiple people can disagree with you is because they're all the same people I guess?? Seriously that's an incredibly loving strange accusation but hey cool I always wanted Fluffy bunny's danes, I guess Balen will be waiting for me when I get home from work :dance:

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 17, 2016

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

12_String posted:

We've never crated a roo in our life, so now you're just making poo poo up. Again. *yawn*.

Jesus christ you're dumb

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lareine posted:

I have nothing against butchering at all, I merely think that you should at least make an attempt to solve the problem before literally putting the rooster on the chopping block, provided that the rooster had positive qualities besides loving hens. By having butchering be your go-to answer, you put yourself on the opposite end of the spectrum from the people who don't cull for any reason and it kind of comes off as trying to prove something.

I don't keep them as pets, ultimately. They're livestock. Problematic livestock get culled. That's how you get calmer/stronger/whatever your goal is stock.

I DO respect people who keep them as pets. But I also see problems with that as I outlined above. As You Wish also mentioned that there are literal rescues for chickens that are getting overrun because nobody wants to eat their livestock. That's a problem. That's a big problem, because hatcheries aren't going to stop producing chicks and people aren't going to stop getting baby chicks. In another 10 years, if the "pet chicken" stuff keeps up, you're going to be looking at overpopulation like we have with dogs and cats. Maybe worse. And almost no homes because people will start rescinding these bills allowing a glorious 3 hens in the city limits because people are managing their livestock like poo poo. You know how they have mandatory spay/neuter in lots of places these days?

You think they won't get rid of the bills that allow chickens or ban chickens from shelters when the rescues fill up?

12_String posted:

If you have a magic method of sexing chicks in the egg, then do tell. We've never crated a roo in our life, so now you're just making poo poo up. Again. *yawn*

You could just cull the roos, is my point, instead of going "oh honey they're going to a MAGICAL place where roosters are NEVER eaten and they'll be SO HAPPY FOREVER" because come on man, don't bullshit me. You know as well as I do that those people are culling your roosters or they're going to fighting rings. Sure, I'm sure a few of them went to good homes at first but there's a finite need for roosters and you guys act like they're xmas presents. You're like backyard chicken breeders except you hoard a shitload of them and then they tear each other apart because you won't just cull shitheads from your flock: you breed them back to their cousins and parents that started fights too. Which baffles me because you seem to want pet chickens- why not cull the assholes?

Or you could cull the roos as chicks since I am positive that your wife knows how to wing sex. But you won't do That either. I'm not telling you to throw them in a maceration grinder. I'm telling you that maybe if you end up having shitloads of roos to give away for free every year maybe you should consider eating some of them instead of flooding the local market with chickens every year, year after year, without pausing. And then you keep a few roosters that inevitably get angrier and angrier.

It's bad keeping. You know it is. I know it is. And I played stupid for YEARS on here while biting my tongue at chickam, dude. You guys have a huge interbred flock that, while not necessarily an issue, is really really really interbred with not-so-nice animals. And your solution is to either put the assholes in a tiny pen with a couple of friends they can tolerate, or give them away for free on craigslist. That's a poo poo choice and you know it. But boy if you won't snoot from a high horse that's out of this world. Blows my mind.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Change of subject.

A beautiful color palette of eggs laid by one flock. Click on image to embiggen.

from Imgur

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

eyyyy, we have colorful eggs too!
the little bumps on 'em are just extra calcium, right? and we haven't been washing the eggs, just brushing them off when we grab 'em from the girls. any tips on what we could likely be doing a bit better with regards to that?
productive few days for our 4 gals!

oh, uh, and here they are! from top to bottom, we've got Cheedo, Splendid, Toast, and Capable. Capable is very much the Boss Lady of the group, which is incredibly useful but occasionally terrifying as she'll run at the neighbors' dogs and scream at 'em through the fence :stare:

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 18, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Please stop arguing and post some more pictures of neat colorful eggs and or chickens. Everybody understands how everybody else feels about the subject and why. Any additional comments can be taken to PM.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Oh man, such pretty eggs, I'm getting an average of 6 a day now from 9 birds, as summer ends I imagine it will slow down alot.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
So many roosters

Beets is really cool

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I got baby chicks today. They are absolutely screaming because they don't understand the world. Life is hard when you're small and fuzzy and also as smart as a log.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I got baby chicks today. They are absolutely screaming because they don't understand the world. Life is hard when you're small and fuzzy and also as smart as a log.

Pics please. Or video. Either!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
i love hitler

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm putting fleisch macht frei across my coop now.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
wir mussen die Hähne aus rotten

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

If hitler was a rooster would you kill him.

I'm really very sorry.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008
This is not a chicken, but it is a chick.

From the Kakapo Recovery Facebook page:
"We have a chick!!! The first for 2016, is also a first for 7-year-old Tiwhiri AND the first ever to hatch on Anchor Island!! It was first discovered by rangers viewing Tiwhiri's nest camera yesterday and it was checked and weighed last night by rangers Jen and Lyndsay...both mother and chick doing very well!!"

From all accounts, it looks like the kakapo mating season has been going very well. :parrot:

Also from the Kakapo Recovery page:

"Our marvellous Matriarch Nora, age unknown, has mated, 35 years after she last successfully raised chicks on Stewart Island!! Nora is the matriarch of the 'wind dynasty', which includes her daughter Zephyr and grandson Sirocco! Imagine being able (and wanting) to be a mother 35 years after your last child..."

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Coturnix are great because they butcher themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Sometimes I feel like I should just euth my whole flock to free them from the terminal disease known as "being a quail". I've explored some unconventional culling options: