Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was actually started in like the first episode of Friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

BigglesSWE posted:

Was there ever such a time? I always felt that friend zoning was a way for jerks to rationalise why someone wouldn't sleep with them. "See, I am obviously perfect for her in every way but she's not interested. Instead of taking a moment to reflect on that and see if there's something to learn here, I'm just gonna publicly state that SHE is at fault for not liking ME."

I have known both ladies and guys who use it to just mean "I have a crush on this person but it isn't gonna work out," said without any real irony. Lately they still say it but they start with an awkward "I hate the way this term is used but there's not really a better phrase for it."

You could say "unrequited" but that seems like it's almost way too romanticized for what is essentially a short-term crush.

BigglesSWE posted:

So he blamed himself then? Which is to say, the very opposite from the modern friend zone "victim".

Actually, what's kind of funny is that the Scrubs friend zone is like ladder theory because JD believes that within the first certain number of hours from flirting, you have to have that "moment of truth" or else you get stuck in the friend zone forever. There are exceptions but they are rare and usually disastrous (just like jumping ladders). But he definitely does blame himself to a certain extent for it (but also his general doctor obligations because he is supposed to be a manchild who is sympathetic but not really respectable).

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Veotax posted:

Remember, women owe you sex. Look out for the Friend Zone!

Doesn't really seem to fit in with the category, and it made me laugh.

Also I bet a lot of these guys are pretty happy, seems a lot of sub fetishes are being fulfilled.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

BigglesSWE posted:

Was there ever such a time? I always felt that friend zoning was a way for jerks to rationalise why someone wouldn't sleep with them. "See, I am obviously perfect for her in every way but she's not interested. Instead of taking a moment to reflect on that and see if there's something to learn here, I'm just gonna publicly state that SHE is at fault for not liking ME."

Yeah, there was, but like many other things, screaming dorks have ruined it over time. Used to be used as a way to shrug it off when you took a chance and got denied.

Then:
"Hey, saw you out with Pat from accounting this weekend! How'd it go?"

"Eh, I got a little too drunk and came on way too hard. Safe to say Pat's not gonna call back."

"Yikes, in the friendzone, eh?"

"Ha, I'll be lucky to even be in the friendzone after making an rear end out of myself like that."

Now:
"WAH I'M PERFECT FOR HER AND SUCH A NICE GUY, I WALKED A PRINTER ACROSS TOWN SO SHE COULD DO HER HOMEWORK, WHY DOES SHE KEEP DATING JERKS AND NOT ME, I'M IN THE FRIENDZONE A BLOO BLOO UGUU~"

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Now:
"WAH I'M PERFECT FOR HER AND SUCH A NICE GUY, I WALKED A PRINTER ACROSS TOWN SO SHE COULD DO HER HOMEWORK, WHY DOES SHE KEEP DATING JERKS AND NOT ME, I'M IN THE FRIENDZONE A BLOO BLOO UGUU~"

Wasn't this actually a goon or redditor or somebody who was really annoyed because he was super sweaty from carrying the printer but equally annoyed because he didn't get a hug?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It was a goon.

https://www.somethingawful.com/great-goon-database/great-goon-best/3/

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pretty sure he's dead now too. Died a hugless printer marathoner.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pretty sure he's dead now too. Died a hugless printer marathoner.

Dang. All that exercise for naught. :(

quote:

The first thing I see upon entering her room (my first time in a girl's bedroom) are some panties on her bed.

After the initial shock of seeing such a horrific sight for the first time,

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Veotax posted:

Remember, women owe you sex. Look out for the Friend Zone!

I have never seen so many people use the word "females" to collectively refer to women in one place.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
You can tell they have never spoken to a girl that wasnt their mum because they all treat it like a science project instead of human interaction. Female and male are such cold clinical words to talk about someone you like.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sadly happy to hear that I wasn't crazy for thinking people saying female all the time sounded stilted and weird in high school.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I have come to prefer the term 'sloots' lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk1bNDv3okM

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sadly happy to hear that I wasn't crazy for thinking people saying female all the time sounded stilted and weird in high school.

cash crab posted:

I have never seen so many people use the word "females" to collectively refer to women in one place.

I'm seeing it used more and more among young black men, usually semi-ironically but always in a dismissive way. I wonder if imgur kids think it's cool because of that, since they have a strange relationship with black dialects.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

I'm seeing it used more and more among young black men, usually semi-ironically but always in a dismissive way. I wonder if imgur kids think it's cool because of that, since they have a strange relationship with black dialects.

Not sure how old that usage is, but 4chan-types using 'female' has been around for a few years now, generally more 'insulting' than dismissive.

Then again Imgur also looks up to 4chan types so who knows.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Serperoth posted:

Imgur thinks channers are some sort of hardcore internet badasses and it's hilarious

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tetracube posted:

Imgur thinks channers are some sort of hardcore internet badasses and it's hilarious

But, Anonymous is from 4chan! :ohdear:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

BigglesSWE posted:

It pretty much is, because none of these guys have the balls to make their intentions clear. Always ends up being some lazy shut-in autistic "shy" type that can barely make awkward conversation because they want women to pursue them. So instead of saying hi or striking up conversation, they sulk in a corner somewhere or interject themselves into conversations and laugh at jokes they're not part of, then wonder why people avoid them because they're a leering creep hoping a desperate lady throws them a bone. Pretty sad really but for the most part, at least they won't get laid and pass on their lovely sperglord DNA to some poor child that'll end up stunted and living at home until they're 47.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RFC2324 posted:

When SOPA/PIPA was happening some of the top comments on imgur were along the lines of "Why isn't Anonymous doing anything about this???"

idk guys probably because anonymous is just a mob of random rear end internet dudes who can't infuence anything let alone congress

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ozz81 posted:

It pretty much is, because none of these guys have the balls to make their intentions clear. Always ends up being some lazy shut-in autistic "shy" type that can barely make awkward conversation because they want women to pursue them. So instead of saying hi or striking up conversation, they sulk in a corner somewhere or interject themselves into conversations and laugh at jokes they're not part of, then wonder why people avoid them because they're a leering creep hoping a desperate lady throws them a bone. Pretty sad really but for the most part, at least they won't get laid and pass on their lovely sperglord DNA to some poor child that'll end up stunted and living at home until they're 47.

don't sign your posts

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Serperoth posted:

Not sure how old that usage is, but 4chan-types using 'female' has been around for a few years now, generally more 'insulting' than dismissive.

It's the Nice Guy way of saying "stupid bitches" without being outright with their true feelings. Same as "urban youth".

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Picnic Princess posted:

It's the Nice Guy way of saying "stupid bitches" without being outright with their true feelings. Same as "urban youth".

Yup. It's the "Thugs" of misogynists. You know what they really mean, but this way they can deny it when you hear the dogwhistle.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

http://imgur.com/gallery/PiFnRmH

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Anecdata is the best kind of data.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Oh poor babies, like no other demographic ever does.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Unironically using "female" and "male" can also be dead giveaways for the person being a furry or offshoot, whose only social interactions have been text-based rp loving

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Picnic Princess posted:

Oh poor babies, like no other demographic ever does.

Considering men committ like 90% of all murders and 98% of rapes, you'd think they'd get used to a slightly tarnished reputation by now. Poor sensitive things.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
"Reported" is an important missing word in that sentence

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Scathach posted:

Considering men committ like 90% of all murders and 98% of rapes, you'd think they'd get used to a slightly tarnished reputation by now. Poor sensitive things.

Um, I think you will find that it's actually women who commit 99.99% of rapes according to my men's rights infographic

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Won't someone think of the white men?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Straight white males have it the worst. Someone should really create an organization for them, to help them out through these troubling times.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Police departments already exist.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Sentient Data posted:

"Reported" is an important missing word in that sentence

Those unreported murders are the worst ones.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

Those unreported murders are the worst ones.

People that falsely report murder should go to prison for just as long am i rite?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

If they didn't want to get murdered, they shouldn't have dressed like that. Really they were practically asking to be murdered.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

Anonymous kind of spun off and became its own thing. Anonymous is bizarre because they're everybody and nobody at the same time; they kind of represent the subconscious of the internet. Sometimes they're jerks, sometimes what they're doing is actually good.

Their influence actually can't be played down, either; one very interesting thing they organized led to hundreds of thousands of people on a specific day going to their banks, withdrawing all of their money, and moving it to credit unions. I mean they also actively oppose Scientology so they aren't all bad.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Want a free ride to the imgur front page right now? Post literally anything even remotely negative about Kanye. Like, imgur users cannot control their ability to hate Kanye.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

kazil posted:

Want a free ride to the imgur front page right now? Post literally anything even remotely negative about Kanye. Like, imgur users cannot control their ability to hate Kanye.

That sort of thing has always confused me about the internet. If you don't like the guy's music just...don't listen to it? If he creates something you don't like then...like...don't pay attention to it? Some people like his work, some don't. No need to be crazy about it.

Then again keyboard warriors engaging in slacktivism against perceived threats isn't anything new.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kazil posted:

This handy life hack works with any black person

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Anonymous kind of spun off and became its own thing.

That is kind of the point I was making, via sarcasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Could it be because whenever something is going on that doens't involve white men they go "hey why aren't WE a part of this? Where's our history month???", ignoring that you know, everything is about them.

And I admit, I used friendzone a few times, but never in a "i am so nice to her, she owes me sex" way, more in a "she doesn't want to date me but wants to be friends". It came after coworkers were really loving bugging me to ask this girl out, and I refused for weeks, until they wore me down and I asked her out, and she flatly said "I think dating would ruin our friendship". My boss talked to her and apparently she didn't approve of them pressuring me into asking her out. He's the one that laid down the "you're super nice to her, you should get something out of it".

• Locked thread