Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007
My personal theory is that "our" Jay is Edward Clariss, the Rival - basically the Earth-2 version of the Reverse-Flash. He got his powers from a drug called Velocity-9. My guess is that he was working for Zoom all along in exchange for real, permanent super-speed. Dunno how they'll explain him looking just like Jay, but it would certainly explain why "Jay" was so bad at being a hero; he never was one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

jwalrus posted:

My personal theory is that "our" Jay is Edward Clariss, the Rival - basically the Earth-2 version of the Reverse-Flash. He got his powers from a drug called Velocity-9. My guess is that he was working for Zoom all along in exchange for real, permanent super-speed. Dunno how they'll explain him looking just like Jay, but it would certainly explain why "Jay" was so bad at being a hero; he never was one.

That's something I noticed, he looks...really pleased with himself for saving all those people, and not necessarily in a way that someone who is always saving people might look. It's like, this was his first time being a true superhero?

Didn't they never find traces of speed force in Jay, and all they had to go on for him being The Flash was him constantly saying it, and Harrison backing him up?

Anyway this theory is super cool too.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

flosofl posted:

I'm leaning towards the prisoner is actually Jay Garrick and "our" Jay Garrick is actually E2 Hunter Zoloman aka Zoom. Trying to replicate Jay's formula and getting it wrong, hence the problem with his cells.

Yeah that was my thought as well when he spelled out Jay. I think it goes like this: The Jay we've seen is E2 Hunter. The Hunter we saw is E1 Hunter. The Man in the Mask is E2 Jay. Zoom is? (Eddie.)

I get the feeling that he's not just Jay's speed incarnate, either, since he called himself the fastest man alive.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"We can't leave Iron Mask behind! Oh Killer Frost? Well it's nice that she is sacrificing her life for us but I mean, she is a villain, I was probably going to end up killing her anyway."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zebulon posted:

Wow did they signpost that hard.

yea hahah

:rip: jay. you kinda did nothing all season so whatever

edit: Zoom shouldve broken Barry's legs after giving him that beatdown. In fact he should just break all the legs. And arms. That way Wells couldn't have stabbed him with the go slow juice(but not slow enough to save Jay).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 17, 2016

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

so are we just done with Zoom now?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

These past few episodes have really confirmed, to me, that the legends of tomorrow setup really messed with the planned story of the season. The first few episodes, while admittedly pretty shaky, laid a lot of the groundwork that the episodes post-LoT have been working with. They had to establish the whole Earth 2 thing early on, but there was a definite lull midseason where they were working in Kendra and Snart development and it felt like everyone was just treading water until that all got taken care of.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

No Butt Stuff posted:

so are we just done with Zoom now?

Not by a long shot. Barry still has to go save the masked man, and I don't think they are going to leave Earth-2 to be terrorized by Zoom forever (Jessie will probably guilt trip them into saving it). Trying to get to Earth 2 without the breaches is probably going to be how Barry ends up on Supergirl.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh that portal is getting reopened.

And slow sad Jay that we are most familiar with can't be Earth 2 Zoom because the breach was impassable while it was unstable. Guess he could still be Hunter Zolomon or something.

Also Iris really took the death of her dad in stride.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Zoom will get mad and scream fast enough that a portal opens.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So we're just going to have like 3 episodes of who cares stuff and then they'll science the portal open and get the man in the mask, then fight zoom for 4 more episodes?

Gonna need a couple big reveals. Stat.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

greatn posted:

Zoom will get mad and scream fast enough that a portal opens.

Ah, the Majin Buu approach.

I think that episode was really good, show has had a strong couple of weeks since the midseason dud

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
For an episode that included the following plot holes:

• "Hey a complete stranger lived in my house and slept in my bed for 24 hours, also watched the death of my father, well whatever we're cool!
  • Only three people in an entire building that's falling down
  • "Hello I am a jerk editor being a jerk about the Flash, oh there's another one, okay we're cool"

...that sure as poo poo was fun. Just base the entire show on Earth-2, everybody is better over there anyway (except Barry).

Also I am looking forward to "It wasn't actually Jay it was the Rival but this is actually Hunter Zoloman but the real Jay is over there in the iron mask." If they seriously go forward with that, it will be just stupid enough to roll back around into amazing and make up for all the misses this season. :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Oh poo poo. Has anyone else noticed that Jay's lightning bolt on his costume is upside down? :aaa:

Someone get a screenshot of Jay appearing at the beginning of the season when Wells bitches him out. If the lightning bolt is right-side up then we've cracked the code!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

For an episode that included the following plot holes:

• "Hey a complete stranger lived in my house and slept in my bed for 24 hours, also watched the death of my father, well whatever we're cool!
  • Only three people in an entire building that's falling down
  • "Hello I am a jerk editor being a jerk about the Flash, oh there's another one, okay we're cool"

...that sure as poo poo was fun. Just base the entire show on Earth-2, everybody is better over there anyway (except Barry).

Also I am looking forward to "It wasn't actually Jay it was the Rival but this is actually Hunter Zoloman but the real Jay is over there in the iron mask." If they seriously go forward with that, it will be just stupid enough to roll back around into amazing and make up for all the misses this season. :allears:

Yeah that editor has a real weird sense of journalism.

Also has the (comics-y spoiler) Wally West as the Man in the Iron Mask theory already been discounted? Because it seems obvious to me that's who it is, but I've seen basically no one talk about it.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

CainsDescendant posted:

These past few episodes have really confirmed, to me, that the legends of tomorrow setup really messed with the planned story of the season. The first few episodes, while admittedly pretty shaky, laid a lot of the groundwork that the episodes post-LoT have been working with. They had to establish the whole Earth 2 thing early on, but there was a definite lull midseason where they were working in Kendra and Snart development and it felt like everyone was just treading water until that all got taken care of.

The LoT setup definitely contributed to the sluggish start, but the CW universe is always going to cause some problems because you have to plan around crossovers in addition to the network TV schedule.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Chokes McGee posted:

Oh poo poo. Has anyone else noticed that Jay's lightning bolt on his costume is upside down? :aaa:
The bolt isn't upside-down that's just how it looks on the suit all the time.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

zoux posted:

Yeah that editor has a real weird sense of journalism.

Also has the (comics-y spoiler) Wally West as the Man in the Iron Mask theory already been discounted? Because it seems obvious to me that's who it is, but I've seen basically no one talk about it.

The man in the iron mask is white , so probably not...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

The man in the iron mask is white , so probably not...

Oh is he?

zoux fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 17, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Oh is he?

The lighting is kind of weird but it was a little more obvious in this week's episode.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So if Zoom is Hunter Zoloman posing as Jay Garrick and Jay is in the mask, the why does Zoloman take Barry to see his E1 counterpart and fill him in on the whole different name thing

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
God I just realized "Who is the man in the mask" is set to become the next "Who is Zoom" in terms of incredibly annoying guess-work theories surrounding looking at the same shot of a dark screen 100 times.

Kill me now.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
So was Jay not planning on going back to Earth-2? Because he was all gung-ho to get Barry and Co. back and close up the breach...stranding him on the Earth-1 side.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Episode kinda blows 10-12 minutes in.

HO ho ho Iris I'm going to run a story saying that the Flash isn't the hero we believed ho ho ho

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

Episode kinda blows 10-12 minutes in.

HO ho ho Iris I'm going to run a story saying that the Flash isn't the hero we believed ho ho ho

It was really random.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He wants pictures! Pictures of the Flash! He'll show everyone that fraud is a menace!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
He just showed you how to get out of that thing Barry?

The though to walk through the wall - as you have done quite a few times - never even entered your mind?

I had assumed there was some sort of protection against that like the metahuman jail.

Edit: The actor playing Geomancer is outrageously bad.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 17, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Fighting Trousers posted:

So was Jay not planning on going back to Earth-2? Because he was all gung-ho to get Barry and Co. back and close up the breach...stranding him on the Earth-1 side.

My guess is that he's actually E-2 Hunter and the whole Jay thing was a total fakeout. The real Jay is the man in the mask, and Zoom was using Hunter to get Barry to go faster in exchange for something. E-2 Hunter broke the deal so Zoom killed him.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

mikeraskol posted:

Edit: The actor playing Geomancer is outrageously bad.

speaking of, I like how they are sending him to Iron Heights. so I guess they can contain metas and the STAR labs gitmo is just for fun?

earth 1 is the evil universe for real

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

speaking of, I like how they are sending him to Iron Heights. so I guess they can contain metas and the STAR labs gitmo is just for fun?

earth 1 is the evil universe for real

Cisco: "He's like twice as strong as a regular superhuman. He's like an Ultraman."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

jwalrus posted:

Oh dear I've gone crosseyed.

Vilkata
Jun 22, 2004

Was there anything after Zoom pulled Jay back into the breach? My DVR cut out. :(

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

mikeraskol posted:

He just showed you how to get out of that thing Barry?

The though to walk through the wall - as you have done quite a few times - never even entered your mind?

I had assumed there was some sort of protection against that like the metahuman jail.

That was really dumb and at this point I'm hoping that Barry having zero longterm memory about his own powers becomes a plot point on the show because the other explanation that the writers have absolutely no idea how to use Barry's speed is pretty troubling.

Also I love that the only thing that vibrating in/out of the cell accomplished was to show that Barry is an idiot. Zoom vibrating in didn't accomplish anything because he just beat him up a bit, and Barry vibrating out wasn't significant because we have already seen him do that like a dozen times. They could have just as easily had some kind of magic anti-speedforce cell that Zoom constructed because he probably can and then had the gang just smash open a console to free Barry when they showed up.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

jwalrus posted:

That'd be a way better twist than whatever they have planned.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vilkata posted:

Was there anything after Zoom pulled Jay back into the breach? My DVR cut out. :(

Just the trailer for next week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpRXTREN7Cs

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
NIce Jaws there. And is Dig in the trailer? That's kinda cool.

Man, Caitlin can't catch a break. Maybe she and Barry shouldn't hook up, he'd just get killed.

The only thing I was disappointed with in this arc was that they never explained who the 3rd prisoner was.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VDay posted:

That was really dumb and at this point I'm hoping that Barry having zero longterm memory about his own powers becomes a plot point on the show because the other explanation that the writers have absolutely no idea how to use Barry's speed is pretty troubling.

Also I love that the only thing that vibrating in/out of the cell accomplished was to show that Barry is an idiot. Zoom vibrating in didn't accomplish anything because he just beat him up a bit, and Barry vibrating out wasn't significant because we have already seen him do that like a dozen times. They could have just as easily had some kind of magic anti-speedforce cell that Zoom constructed because he probably can and then had the gang just smash open a console to free Barry when they showed up.

Eh, we got to see that Barry-2 isn't a total weenie so whatever.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
"My name is Jay Garrick and I'm the dumbest motherfucker alive."

Just gonna stand in front of this open portal with my back turned for no goddamn reason.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm guessing Jay is the Man in the Mask as well as possibly Zoom via Time Shenanigans and being in the Breach as it closes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamnotcreative
Jul 28, 2002
What, you expected something creative here?

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm guessing Jay is the Man in the Mask as well as possibly Zoom via Time Shenanigans and being in the Breach as it closes.

Man in the mask knew a POW code. Clearly he's Hal Jordan from Red Son.

• Locked thread