Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Wait, you have to barrel roll/boost them if you tractor them? poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Seems like a lot of points for a combo that relies on a tie fighter surviving because it all falls apart if he doesn't. If you use Palpatine to save him from incoming fire you also don't get the guaranteed crit. I think Colzet is overkill and you should just use Wampa as a flanker to distract from other threats, he is scary enough by himself especially if your opponent has low hull aces on the table.

Fly Wampa by himself, evade every turn and if they turn their forces in towards him to take him out you can get vader in behind them and dish out the damage. Alternatively if they come after Vader he can turtle up or arcdodge everything and Wampa can get his crits in unmolested.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I can't help it the gimmick must be carried to its ultimate expression I can't get off without directly stimulating my crits.

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Darth Vader (3)
Gunner (5)

Lieutenant Colzet (23)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
TIE/x1 (0)

"Wampa" (14)

Total: 100

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

kingcom posted:

I've not seen it myself but from all reports the Wampa + Palp combo is hilarious .

I was on the wrong end of it in a tournament (and got walloped)

"Wampa" (14)
Stealth Device (3)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Stealth Device (3)

Omega Squadron Pilot (17)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Stealth Device (3)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Guy literally had to just take 2 shots with Wampa at any range to squish my regen Corran (which was built up to like 45 points in my list). He did so.

It was especially crappy because you could dish Wampa if you got at range 1 and focused fire, for sure, but you'd probably lose an an ace if the other guys were shooting at you too. Shooting at range 3, you have to punch through 5 green dice (and probably an evade) on the TIEs. Other people (who are better than me) did better than I did against the list, but I struggled with it because Corran got Wampatine'd in 2 rounds of shooting and Poe got locked by Omega Leader and was then done modifying dice the rest of the round.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

kingcom posted:

I've not seen it myself but from all reports the Wampa + Palp combo is hilarious .

Isn't there someone that is able to flip over facedown damage cards?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

Isn't there someone that is able to flip over facedown damage cards?

Otisburg posted:

Colzet is the cherry on top.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

canyoneer posted:

I was on the wrong end of it in a tournament (and got walloped)

"Wampa" (14)
Stealth Device (3)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Stealth Device (3)

Omega Squadron Pilot (17)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Stealth Device (3)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Guy literally had to just take 2 shots with Wampa at any range to squish my regen Corran (which was built up to like 45 points in my list). He did so.

It was especially crappy because you could dish Wampa if you got at range 1 and focused fire, for sure, but you'd probably lose an an ace if the other guys were shooting at you too. Shooting at range 3, you have to punch through 5 green dice (and probably an evade) on the TIEs. Other people (who are better than me) did better than I did against the list, but I struggled with it because Corran got Wampatine'd in 2 rounds of shooting and Poe got locked by Omega Leader and was then done modifying dice the rest of the round.

I hope you don't take it personally but as someone who knows the frustration of fighting against Corran Horn this story warms my heart.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kai Tave posted:

I hope you don't take it personally but as someone who knows the frustration of fighting against Corran Horn this story warms my heart.

Taking a solid thumping in this game every now and again is good for the soul.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Colder would trigger to flip that sweet direct hit after Coran got a chance to fire in the end phase right?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Otisburg posted:

Colder would trigger to flip that sweet direct hit after Coran got a chance to fire in the end phase right?

They both specify "at the start of the end phase"

So whoever had initiative would resolve first.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Store league night went about as well as could be expected. Some new players showed up; new players wanting in sooner rather than later is a large reason why I wanted the league to remain monthly instead of bi-monthly, but with the new faces included our league would be like 25+ people, so that's a lot of games to get in within the space of a month.

I'm either 2-0 or 3-0 depending on whether or not my games against one opponent counted. Tonight was against a returning player and former store champ who flew really, really effectively, but ran a list I had never faced before - RAC with Gunner, Ysanne Isard and Predator and nothing else, and Krassis Trelix with an HLC and something else I forgot. Predator? I don't know. It was weird, but not all that ineffective. Some aggressive flying with the shuttle and we took everyone to Block City for a while, and Omega Leader and Whisper did work before the shuttle died in ignominy.

By that point, though, Whisper had taken RAC to task, and Krassis was at one hull with OL trailing. I'm not sure how much I like Krassis, or the Imperial Firespray in general. 100-32.

Did some casual games that went in the same general direction, and I think some of it is owed to the local meta still being really, really into Soontir Fel and really down on Whisper. I also think that most players are just so used to seeing the shuttle hiding that they don't account for its (good!) blocking capabilities? I don't know. What about you guys - do you see shuttles going in, generally, or skirting around near their own board edge and running away?

I like the new av/text combo, as well, thank you stranger. FWIW Omega Leader put in some work tonight, and I think we're getting into decent-ish shape for store champs.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I read that whole post like 'wow guts and bolts will have a new friend :sun:' and now I'm a little sad

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I read that whole post like 'wow guts and bolts will have a new friend :sun:' and now I'm a little sad

Glad I'm not the only one.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm glad not to have the only xwang related av now.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I'm patient for a Macross-themed X-Wing tabletop-like game.

So tomorrow my FLGS is giving me first pick on the new playmats that come in. Part of me loves the Bespin art, but goddamnit, the DSII playmat looks awesome too.

That and a T70 and F/O will be in for me so I can get Comm Relat and Red Ace. I might try doing an F/O swarm as a gimmick since I'll have 3.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Ringo Star Get posted:

I'm patient for a Macross-themed X-Wing tabletop-like game.

There's Robotech Tactics.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I did four named F/O's last night and it was fairly strong. The hardest part is keeping track of which identical ship has which gimmick.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

A Knave Squadron with Advanced Sensors, PTL and a Stealth Device costs more than Soontir :gonk:

I'm guessing that at PS1 there's no prayer it will have even a tenth of the effect. Ugh I want to use generic E-Wings in a space boondoggle list.

e: will we be referring to the gonk droid as :gonk:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Otisburg posted:

I did four named F/O's last night and it was fairly strong. The hardest part is keeping track of which identical ship has which gimmick.

I used to fly The Six Named TIE Fighter Pilots, because it was the best list I could come up with that used my six TIEs without wanting me to buy a seventh. It was usually a mess.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah, I give up on Corran. I know Dash + Corran is a good list, but I need WAY more practice flying Corran Horn before store champs in Mankato this Sat. Gonna roll Vader + Black Crack miniswarm since I can actually win games with that.

:bandwagon:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The FO, T70 and the transports' tie pilots are big successes in that they all feel good and playable, although some are obviously higher-tier than other. Compared to previous ships where often only one pilot would be a viable option.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

guts and bolts posted:

I also think that most players are just so used to seeing the shuttle hiding that they don't account for its (good!) blocking capabilities? I don't know. What about you guys - do you see shuttles going in, generally, or skirting around near their own board edge and running away?

It depends on the opponent's list, but I prefer to have the shuttle there on the first pass more often than not. It's a big gun and an amazing blocker.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Send the Palp bus in, IMO, at least enough to bait the hook. Plus yeah with its footprint and 3 primary you're leaving a lot on the table to play 29 points down if you don't.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Yeah once i pull it out of the corner I just dump trunk that shuttle into anything I can. If I can both slow its inevitable cruiser off into nowhere and gently caress up my opponents move, thats the best case scenario. If your ship cant shoot, cant maneuver for next then your ship better be hotwheeling its rear end into the face of your opponents wangs.

Edit: Also I finally noticed Star Trek Attack Wing stuff (wave 16 apparently) in the wild today. It was in the bargin bin lol.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

kingcom posted:

Yeah once i pull it out of the corner I just dump trunk that shuttle into anything I can. If I can both slow its inevitable cruiser off into nowhere and gently caress up my opponents move, thats the best case scenario. If your ship cant shoot, cant maneuver for next then your ship better be hotwheeling its rear end into the face of your opponents wangs.

Edit: Also I finally noticed Star Trek Attack Wing stuff (wave 16 apparently) in the wild today. It was in the bargin bin lol.
Wave 16? Old stuff, they are up to wave 23 now :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Finster Dexter posted:

There's Robotech Tactics.

I think by "X-Wing like" he means "good."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Wave 16? Old stuff, they are up to wave 23 now :v:

Three ships a month for going on two years.

What's a 'playtesting?"

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

I think by "X-Wing like" he means "good."

Yeah, I suppose. But Kevin said that wave two will be ready Soon!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Three ships a month for going on two years.

What's a 'playtesting?"

I will never be able to process this properly. I'm amazed they can even get the models produced that regularly.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, I suppose. But Kevin said that wave two will be ready Soon!

Promise, or threat? You be the judge!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

kingcom posted:

I will never be able to process this properly. I'm amazed they can even get the models produced that regularly.

It helps that the models are barely painted and range in quality from okay to horrible. X-Wing may have the occasional issue, but model quality has never been one of them.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

kingcom posted:

Many of them were just reprinted heroclix

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It helps that the models are barely painted and range in quality from okay to horrible. X-Wing may have the occasional issue, but model quality has never been one of them.

*cough* K-Wing pegs *cough*

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If my math is right there are ~105 STAW ships to X-Wing's ~45 or so (depending on how you want to count stuff like Rebel Aces/variant small ships packed in with huge ones etc), however the balance is so dire I'd say STAW has far fewer meta-viable ships/build types in absolute numbers (not as a proportion of overall releases).

For more information on my slow dawning realization that STAW is in fact terrible, see my thread in this very forum.

Tequila Ranger posted:

Also the wave 7 pegs being a MM or two different than those that came before is obnoxious, when you have to grab a bunch of pegs and "test" to find a recent one where your T70/FO doesn't wobble.

E: Another iteration on this concept, based on the back and forth:

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Stealth Device (3)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

"Wampa" (14)
Stealth Device (3)

Lieutenant Colzet (23)
TIE/x1 (0)

Total: 99

Does some cool stuff, doesn't require formation flying, puts a lot of threats on the board to prioritize. I feel like even once Wampa breaks, the other two do work. Gonna try it on Friday, maybe iterate some more, and then take it to a store champs. I don't really need to win, as long as I don't get shut out I'll be happy.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 17, 2016

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Shuttle is awesome, I like flying it with a swarm and swinging in behind so that ships can't k turn behind my ties on the joust. Can't wait for Baffles to turn it into a stationary turret.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Otisburg posted:

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Stealth Device (3)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

"Wampa" (14)
Stealth Device (3)

Lieutenant Colzet (23)
TIE/x1 (0)

Total: 99

Does some cool stuff, doesn't require formation flying, puts a lot of threats on the board to prioritize. I feel like even once Wampa breaks, the other two do work. Gonna try it on Friday, maybe iterate some more, and then take it to a store champs. I don't really need to win, as long as I don't get shut out I'll be happy.

Drop all stealth devices and colzet, add Vader with VI, title, ATC. That's the list I'm flying right now.

It's pretty good so far.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Tequila Ranger posted:

My k wing pegs are fine. My YT-2400 though, now thats a shitshow.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Yeah, it's the K Wing itself that's garbage

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I didn't mean the K-Wing should be hauling garbage, I meant to say it should be hauled away as garbage.

Wait wrong space opera franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Tequila Ranger posted:

Oh, is this a known issue? I just broke my K-Wing peg last night. Hoping some super glue and my helping hands can fix it up.

• Locked thread