Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Unimpressed posted:

Huh, really? Why would you bot crawl? To get through the early game?
I've only ever heard of bots in multiplayer games...

Because it presents an interesting challenge. It's like people making a bot for Nethack and expanding its abilities to handle more and more complex situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

before felids were nerfed people used to be able to 3-rune the game with felid berserkers played by bots

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It makes crawl a programming challenge rather than a "press tab the exact number of times" repeated qte

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Ah, that makes sense. I'm just used to botting being in the context of gaining advantage over live players.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
People also sometimes compete on botted speedruns.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
gotem
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-1312-gf98331d (webtiles) character file.

1400766 Shard1697 the Human Ballista (level 27, 231/231 HPs)
             Began as a Human Berserker on Feb 13, 2016.
             Was an Elder of Trog.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Feb 14, 2016!

The game lasted 03:44:44 (115239 turns).

Shard1697 the Human Ballista (Human Berserker)    Turns: 115239, Time: 03:44:44

Health: 231/231    AC: 40    Str: 17      XL:     27
Magic:  27/27      EV: 18    Int:  3 (6)  God:    Trog [****..]
Gold:   3250       SH: 17    Dex: 26      Spells: 0 memorised, 26 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis .    a - +8 demon whip (elec)
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    d - +7 plate armour of Philately {-Cast +Blink rF+ Dex+3}
rNeg   + . .      Faith    .    M - +2 shield {reflect}
rPois  +          Spirit   .    (no helmet)
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    J - +2 cloak {rPois}
rCorr  .          Reflect  +    s - +2 pair of gloves {Str+3}
SustAt .          Harm     .    R - +2 pair of boots {run}
MR     +++++      Clarity  +    U - amulet of the Four Winds {rN+ MR+++ Clar}
Stlth  .......... Rnd*Tele +    u - +5 ring of protection
                  NoCast   +    G - ring of protection from cold

@: quick, almost entirely resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely
unstealthy
A: berserk 2, dopey 2, low mp 1, screaming 1, teleportitis 1, weak 2
a: Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Burn Spellbooks, Renounce Religion,
Evoke Blink
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, abyssal
With the previous two, I'm on my first real streak now, with 3 wins in a row. And all 3 have been species I hadn't ever won with before! :toot:

Hailfire
Sep 11, 2011
Goddamn I just got a crazy artifact, a +10 blowgun of speed *Corrode rpois +9 Strength +3 Dex. Does the stats from this influence how much damage the large rocks I throw will do?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The strength/dex should help your damage/accuracy respectively, yes.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Is there anything DDs can do against quasits now that restore abilities is gone? I just burned 2 teleports trying to get away from one, and still got drained a point of dex. Being able to run away would have been nice, but they're fast.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

protomexican posted:

Is there anything DDs can do against quasits now that restore abilities is gone? I just burned 2 teleports trying to get away from one, and still got drained a point of dex. Being able to run away would have been nice, but they're fast.

It's the same thing as everyone else with stat loss now: gain XP to earn them back. Nobody can regenerate them naturally anymore.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Pakellas has a new wrinkle. Excess MP gained eventually results in Pak gifting potions of magic, so you don't have to be as use-it-or-lose-it about recharge, etc.

This also bumps the MP gained down, but, well, god gifting potions of magic.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Pallekas is really strong. Summoning guys with a rod of shadows and hasting/healing them with out having to worry about wasting charges rules.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

ZeeToo posted:

Pakellas has a new wrinkle. Excess MP gained eventually results in Pak gifting potions of magic, so you don't have to be as use-it-or-lose-it about recharge, etc.

This also bumps the MP gained down, but, well, god gifting potions of magic.

Nice stealth mummy nerf.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well, broke my streak because Edmund had a flail of venom+potion of haste so I couldn't run away

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

IronicDongz posted:

Well, broke my streak because Edmund had a flail of venom+potion of haste so I couldn't run away

Sometimes I try to slow down a bit in the early game, but then I run into "d:1 gnoll" or "shafted from d:2 to d:4, then from d:4 to d:6 soon after" that takes me back to "meh, just mash and play from temple on."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Man, Demonspawn are incredibly fun.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Just about every mutation is good now, if you're willing to be a little bit flexible.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

As a big buff Minotaur fighter about to get his second rune, is it better to go with unenchanted plate mail, or chain mail that is currently my only source of rFire? I've got a bunch of enchant armor scrolls to burn but I don't know if the rFire is worth the AC hit.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

EightFlyingCars posted:

As a big buff Minotaur fighter about to get his second rune, is it better to go with unenchanted plate mail, or chain mail that is currently my only source of rFire? I've got a bunch of enchant armor scrolls to burn but I don't know if the rFire is worth the AC hit.

From my limited experience, a fully enchanted chain mail is more than sufficient for a three rune with a MiFi. That said, a single rF+ isn't that big a deal, you'll more likely than not get something better down the track. I'd personally go with the chain given it probably gives you a bit more EV at this stage, and save my enchant armours for something better.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Chain mail is totally fine, especially if you decide to learn a couple of supplementary spells later on. Generally as melee I wear whatever is the heaviest armor that also has an enchantment bonus, so if chain has +2 or whatever I'll wear it over plate(if I have no enchanted plate). Egos complicate things a bit but you can play it by ear.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Your second rune will more than likely be the other Lair branch. Aside from uniques, salamanders in Snake and branded weapons in Snake/Shoals/a little in Swamp (spriggan riders!), there are very little sources of fire damage present there. It's definitely nice to have (halves all sources of fire damage for the first pip) but in most cases you won't even notice it having an effect. Further on down where the enemies are more varied in their elemental flavour and common encounters can hit harder with that element, elemental resistances are much more effective.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I love being a DsAs or DsAr since both of those starting kits can survive up to level 5 or so literally no matter what you skill into, and don't give you any direction, so you don't feel bad if your mutations don't contribute to that direction. Just put your points into fighting until your mutations and/or floorgod give you a sign.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
And there's another species down! :toot:

I'd seen the Arc Blade like 5 times before but this is the first time I got it on a run where I was actually using short blades. It's definitely fun, and stronger than it first appears, but in the end I stopped using it in favor of an enchanted up quick blade because a). the damage was pretty reliant on enemies not having rElec, which was a problem against some things, and b). more importantly, the discharges pissed off my summons(mana vipers and menagerie), so it wasn't worth it. It didn't make Oka mad, at least... but I didn't actually use Oka much this game and probably would have been better off with Kiku or Fedhas or something.

Also, Vine Stalkers are quite strong(and also sort of muddled flavor wise? parasite that has eaten the host+plant+magic stealer+innate spirit shield is a bunch of different things, even just "a plant that steal magic" would be enough to distinguish itself, as would "species with innate spirit shield")

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 17, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

quote:

1580320 cheetah7071 the Meteorologist (level 27, 153/195 HPs)
Began as a Demonspawn Assassin on Feb 15, 2016.
Was the Champion of Vehumet.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 3 runes on Feb 17, 2016!

The game lasted 07:01:49 (97782 turns).

Finally got one down, after a lot of heartbreaking near-wins. This character would have been extended-capable in 0.17 but I ran out of curemut against OoFs and RMut still isn't back in trunk yet.

e: I nearly had a heart attack when the seraph popped in with a bunch of high-tier angels during the orb run, as a demonspawn. That would have made a second orb run death in as many lategame characters. Fortunately, hasting, casting tornado, and running while everything around me dies is pretty powerful.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 17, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I dunno, the lore is pretty well linked together and creates a species that would be less 'boring' than two with the innates split between them. Just blame wizards for creating an anti-wizard 'weapon' because of course they would.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
code:
Q - the ring of Quogieh (right claw) {rElec rPois rF+++ rC- MR+}.
The Ring of Resist Zot

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Anyone know where the local version log file is? I've just built trunk and had three crashes playing DSWz. First time I've ever had crashes.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

I dunno, the lore is pretty well linked together and creates a species that would be less 'boring' than two with the innates split between them. Just blame wizards for creating an anti-wizard 'weapon' because of course they would.

"Since that day, nobody has heard a word from the Mountain Dwarf wizard's guild, or the rest of the region..."

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Unimpressed posted:

Anyone know where the local version log file is? I've just built trunk and had three crashes playing DSWz. First time I've ever had crashes.

./saves/logfile

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

THIS HOW YOU DO ME?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Obviously your fault. If you hadn't lost those two hit points you would of lived! :shepface:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Oof, that sucks :( Erolcha's loving dangerous. She can sling LCS, Banishment, and I think Lightning Bolt, depending on her spell set, and she's just beefy enough to have a decent chance of getting a cast or two off even if you go all-out on her. Conjure Flame wouldn't have helped you much. A scroll of blinking, fear, or summoning would probably have helped a lot more.

You probably know all this already, of course. I find Erolcha's one of those uniques that reliably becomes a super huge threat the exact instant I stop expecting her to be one. She's a hubris magnifier.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there any way to download old versions of crawl? I kinda wanna gently caress around with a version where I can have my mountain dwarf go through hive.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

http://crawl.develz.org/release/ has down to 0.5, I'm not sure what the first DCSS release was but I bet it's that

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

Oof, that sucks :( Erolcha's loving dangerous. She can sling LCS, Banishment, and I think Lightning Bolt, depending on her spell set, and she's just beefy enough to have a decent chance of getting a cast or two off even if you go all-out on her. Conjure Flame wouldn't have helped you much. A scroll of blinking, fear, or summoning would probably have helped a lot more.

You probably know all this already, of course. I find Erolcha's one of those uniques that reliably becomes a super huge threat the exact instant I stop expecting her to be one. She's a hubris magnifier.

It looks like he got randomly teleported to that spot after running low on MP, the Conjure Flame was to either stall her on it (!) or hoping she wouldn't step into the blaze (questionable, as you said she's beefy enough). So with only one turn expended and at near full health, you'd think you would be fine. Except it's Erolcha and she will have the spells to ruin you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
gently caress hitting p puts you into a pray stance, during which chopping corpses generates piety

That was gone by the time I first played

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

cheetah7071 posted:

gently caress hitting p puts you into a pray stance, during which chopping corpses generates piety

That was gone by the time I first played
Which version ya' playing? Because Nemelex used to have a little portable altar that you had to drop to sacrifice items on for the decks. Then ya' had to gather the altar up and keep carrying it with you.

Good times, good times.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

World Famous W posted:

Which version ya' playing? Because Nemelex used to have a little portable altar that you had to drop to sacrifice items on for the decks. Then ya' had to gather the altar up and keep carrying it with you.

Good times, good times.

I went all the way back to 0.5 because I'm not sure what version I first played

Playing a MDFi of Okawaru, just like god intended

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah, it would've been better to blink or something, but I didn't have that option.
code:
Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 b - the +7 dagger "Miwai" {pain, rC+ Str-2 Dex+6 SInv}
   (You found it on level 5 of the Dungeon)   

In the hands of one skilled in necromantic magic, it inflicts extra damage
   on living creatures.

It affects your strength (-2).
   It affects your dexterity (+6).
   It protects you from cold.
   It lets you see invisible.
Armour
 l - a +2 robe of fire resistance (worn)
 o - a cursed +0 ring mail
 v - a +0 cloak (worn)
Magical Staves
 a - an uncursed staff of fire (weapon)
Jewellery
 C - an uncursed amulet of dismissal
Wands
 p - a wand of lightning (6/15)
 q - a wand of flame (25/48)
 w - a wand of flame (18/48)
Scrolls
 e - 5 scrolls of remove curse
 g - a scroll of enchant weapon
 i - 3 scrolls of amnesia
 r - a scroll of identify
 t - 3 scrolls of enchant armour
Potions
 f - 8 potions of curing
 j - 2 potions of lignification
 k - 3 potions of might
 m - a potion of invisibility {unknown}
 n - a potion of mutation
 u - 3 potions of brilliance
 x - 2 potions of agility
 B - 4 potions of flight
 D - 2 potions of resistance
 E - a potion of experience {unknown}
:rip:

Sage Grimm posted:

It looks like he got randomly teleported to that spot after running low on MP, the Conjure Flame was to either stall her on it (!) or hoping she wouldn't step into the blaze (questionable, as you said she's beefy enough). So with only one turn expended and at near full health, you'd think you would be fine. Except it's Erolcha and she will have the spells to ruin you.
I didn't actually get teleported, I went down those stairs and there was a bunch of enemies(the club is from one, but there were two ogres and some other stuff). So killing those is what used up my MP, and then I was gonna walk back to the stairs to head up and rest my MP back but with the way the corridor was laid out she was able to enter LoS two steps away from me and block the stairs in one turn.

The reason that there's another part of the map explored is because I saw Elrocha over there and left to go down somewhere else, actually!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Perfect spot to zap wand her. Then of course you'd have to deal with whatever you wake up with the noise.

• Locked thread