Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

That's not a new feature. They had it in DOAX2 and Paradise. You could even select the (at the time) 16 year old Ayane or 17 year old Kasumi and put them in a sequin bikini.

E: Getting a peek of the screenshot on my phone, it looks exactly like the same one from the older games. They're posed exactly the same.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Dehry posted:

That's not a new feature. They had it in DOAX2 and Paradise. You could even select the (at the time) 16 year old Ayane or 17 year old Kasumi and put them in a sequin bikini.

I'm very sorry that I know that now...

Also I post news articles with sometimes snarky - often very mediocre - comments to spark discussions and contribute (hopefully) to keepoing the thread on track, I wasn't legitimately excited about this one.

Edit: VVV Fair enough.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 16, 2016

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Schrodingers cat posted:

Also I post news articles with sometimes snarky, often very mediocre comments to spark discussions and keep the thread on track, I wasn't legitimately excited about this one.

This is the Vita thread. You never know. 15 year old me saw the DOAX2 ones so that's why I recognize the poses.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 16, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I will get the Platinum trophy in Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 for Playstation 4 and Playstation Vita.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Takoluka posted:

I will get the Platinum trophy in Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 for Playstation 4 and Playstation Vita.

Live your dreams you wonderful person.

Is statute of limitations on anime?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Seriously guys, is no one playing Cyber Sleuth?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

There's a whole thread of people playing it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762076

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

....I need to check the actual subforums more often :v:

Thank you so much for the link :tipshat:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I hate that I love Dungeon Travelers 2, but damned if it isn't an amazing Might & Magic clone. Tried the demo, tore through it, and bought it immediately after.

Class design is clever, fights are pretty well designed, and maps are no Etrian Odyssey, but they're not awful.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

boho posted:

I hate that I love Dungeon Travelers 2, but damned if it isn't an amazing Might & Magic clone. Tried the demo, tore through it, and bought it immediately after.

Class design is clever, fights are pretty well designed, and maps are no Etrian Odyssey, but they're not awful.

I was actually pretty impressed by DT2's map design: the various dungeon gimmicks were varied enough to keep things interesting and felt unforgiving but rarely unfair. Teleporters are colour-coded on the map to help you keep track of their destinations (although some of the colours are hard to distinguish), antimagic zones are a pain but almost every class has at least something they can do without relying on magic, dark zones let you see just far enough that you can get through without stumbling around randomly as long as you have a good sense of direction, and pits and one-way passages are common but are usually either in fairly predictable locations or won't set you back too far.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm at chapter 10 and I have like 80 hours in it because on my days off I just leave it on all day and occasionally grind out the monsters I want

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

boho posted:

I am glad there was a demo. I wasn't really feeling confident about whether or not it would be good but by the time I finished the demo I ended up preordering the game. They did a great job with it and if they bring over DT 2-2 I'd be happy to throw more money at it.

I also bought the DLC characters and they are pretty useful but they don't break the balance of the game. They do make the very beginning of the game easier just because the early game is balanced around a small party. If you don't buy them you won't miss out but if you want more characters to choose from the bundle is worth it.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Uppers demo is now available alongside a free theme.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
There's a few good DLC characters that are better than the story characters (Mio, Lu for a Witch) but I almost never used them since I think they sound and look terrible and clash weirdly with the DT2 characters with the exception of Mio.

I do hope 2-2 is translated, I'd buy it day 1 easy. I also hope it's slightly better balanced for later content since the therian seal really throws melee characters out of whack with casters (or provide an item like it for casters). Why bother with chanting spells, fiddling with resists and anti magic zones when you can berserk up and beat the crap out of everything?

Txn posted:

Hell yea, grabbing that tomorrow on my PSTV if it works on that.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wamdoodle posted:

Cross quote from the Early FPS Thread concerning Duke 3d Megaton Edition.

Another update:

quote:

UPDATE 2: Gearbox Software has got in contact with us, informing that Gearbox will be bringing Duke Nukem 3D back ‘later this year’.
“As for when fans can expect to see Duke Nukem 3D back as a digital sale, we have plans to bring the game back this year.”

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Txn posted:

Oh hey. Got any impressions?

Yechezkel posted:

Another update:

Always bet on Duke.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I played it for like 30 minutes since it downloaded fairly fast. I haven't played SK or any other games of that type so I don't know if it's slow or not compared to them.

- The panties slot machine thing is weird but it did let me throw a motorcycle at people so that was cool I guess???
- Fighting was fun and linking between people worked okay.
- It works on PSTV if you're using that.
- From my limited understanding of Japanese the story felt about as stupid (in a good way) as you'd expect from the demo.

I probably won't import it but if it gets translated I'd probably buy it since it seems like one of those 'turn your brain off and enjoy the ride' type things that I enjoy once in a while. I feel like I'm missing stuff only getting bits and pieces of the story and that'd drive me nuts.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Txn posted:

Downloading now. Let's see if it makes me change my mind.

Bhikkhuni's multiplayer is also live.

https://twitter.com/kenichiro_taka/status/699812643813478400

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh hey. Got any impressions?
It's a very fun brawler and it does feel faster when you're playing it, punching enemies through concrete walls will never get boring. It's a Kenka Bancho but without the open-world (open-Japan?).

Sadly the demo is just the first two missions and you can only use the main characters, I wanted to play as Nicole :(.

Edit:

Stanos posted:

I probably won't import it but if it gets translated I'd probably buy it since it seems like one of those 'turn your brain off and enjoy the ride' type things that I enjoy once in a while.
Agreed

OgretailFood fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 17, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Thanks for the first impressions, Vita friends :nyoron:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

gonna buy uppers when they localize it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So tearaway was great except for the stupid glitched level that is preventing me from getting a plat trophy.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Ironically I played the DT2 demo and got so hyped for it that I couldn't wait the couple of weeks for it to come out so I picked up Demon Gaze and burned out on that style of game before DT2 launched.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

So tearaway was great except for the stupid glitched level that is preventing me from getting a plat trophy.

Which one? I was able to plat it. My only plat, in fact :3:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So Uppers is an old school beat 'em up. Literally.

You just move through the level and punch dudes, you can pick some elements in the background (like bikes) to use as projectiles and your health ups are the girls. The girls ask you for some specific actions to met before they cure you (like beating three mooks or using three times the throw).

The game is indeed very slow paced and enemies rarely attack, I had to stand still in the middle of bunch of mooks for five seconds before one enemy finally decided to attack me, and even then, there's a green spark surrounding them just before they move, making incredibly easy to avoid the attacks.

At least with the characters in the demo, there's no real difference between them beyond their animations and design, they play exactly the same. There's not even a movement list you just have to mash square and the finisher will come on its own. You can access a sort of powered mode but other than making more flashy your attacks and allowing to tag with the other character at the end of a combo doesn't represent a significative change to the gameplay. You have a block button at your disposal and a dodge mechanic similar to Bhikkhuni's but the enemies are so harmless that is pointless. And remember how Nicole could run through the walls in the videos shown?

Is a shared mechanic, you just press x close to a wall to do that. Other than looking cool, there's no real reason to do that in the demo.

Despite the game slow pace, camera can be a pain, the stages have some destructible elements (like walls) and thus, is pretty easy for the camera to get stuck. Virtually any element is able to block your sight.

Levels are big and there are different areas to explore but there's no map t speak of and the only indcators of where going are the groupies. However, there are sections where the stage is barren, making kind of pointless to diverge from the set path.

Graphics are real pretty but all the effort went into the character models and the named girls that are following you. The random groupies you find through the levels look more like gifs than proper models since they have a single animation sequence in a loop

Depending on what you do during battle, you can trigger a short minigame (for example getting a gust of wind to lift the skirt of three girls) where you have to mash a button (usually circle) at the end to win. Pretty easy but it breaks the flow of the game, and just like the clothes ripping cutscenes in SK, it gets old fast.

Overall is a decent but very mediocre game that other than giving you the chance to show off/perv on some virtual girls doesn't offer anything of note to the genre.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Overall is a decent but very mediocre game that other than giving you the chance to show off/perv on some virtual girls doesn't offer anything of note to the genre.

a sentence I never thought I would see from DT

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I know that ImpAtom or someone is going to point out that with a little word switcheroo, you could say the same thing about SK, and this is true, but it's possible D_T might actually be growing and developing finer tastes. Maybe. Hopefully.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

:staredog:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's weird to put d_t tastes on trial

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lone 'im or hate 'im, they can't stop talking about 'im.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

we reached out to vita thread notable d_t for comment:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

it's weird to put d_t tastes on trial

im gonna take down the tastes of everyone in this thread

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

what you like is maybe not as good as you think!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ruggington posted:

GASP

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Ruggington posted:

pff, spend an unreasonable amount of time learning as much about the thing i like as i know before trying to say words

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bloodychill posted:

I know that ImpAtom or someone is going to point out that with a little word switcheroo, you could say the same thing about SK, and this is true, but it's possible D_T might actually be growing and developing finer tastes. Maybe. Hopefully.

Burst improved the basic beat em up formula with the addition of the aerial raves and generally set a solid foundation to develop further the concept. Deep Crimson took those very same foundations and the few things that worked from Versus and built a pretty solid gameplay that stood out between the genre.

You're absolutely correct about the Versus series though. Just shallow and mediocre games that waste the potential the 3DS game showed.

Anyways, Bhikkhuni's multiplayer is fun and pretty frantic. A fun experience but I do need a small guide explaining what the hell I'm supposed to do. I just see the other players raking points with ease while I'm stuck as the session's punching bag :v:

I did notice some necessary tweaks being done to balance the game, driving doesn't refill your health, they either make the timing more strict or the instant follow-up to the launcher is disabled are some of the most notorious ones.

Mastery of the Phantom Dash is a must, I wasted a lot of time chasing the other players while they had a very easy time getting away from me. On that note, Mana (the archer girl) can get hosed. She's the only long range character in the game and thus a good player can nail you with her arrows from a safe distance and quickly escape attacks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Wamdoodle posted:

Which one? I was able to plat it. My only plat, in fact :3:

I got it. My first plat, too. Woulda been The Witness if the end wasnt' so stupid. Anyway, it was the last scrap on caverns. For some reason the end sequence before the drill/rocket didn't start when I got in the rocket. It worked on the 4th try. But hey, all done.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Burst improved the basic beat em up formula with the addition of the aerial raves and generally set a solid foundation to develop further the concept. Deep Crimson took those very same foundations and the few things that worked from Versus and built a pretty solid gameplay that stood out between the genre.

You're absolutely correct about the Versus series though. Just shallow and mediocre games that waste the potential the 3DS game showed.

I really wanted to like the 3DS game because the aerials were fun but the anemic framerate killed it for me.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://gematsu.com/2016/02/ps-vita-starter-kit-bundle-announced-japan

PS Vita starter kit announced for Japan

16GB memory card included. Comes in Blue or White. ~$175.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I know the Vita does alright in Japan, but releasing a "starter kit" late in a system's life is just weird.