Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Thank you for the present Dash, now I can combine bees and gold and fire and big-rear end wings in ways like never before

e: gently caress yeah that's a new page :synpa:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
What dye do you use for that gold color on the chest piece?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Anet does so much right when it comes to how guildwars runs, like 0 patching downtime, but they are the slowest modern game I've ever seen when it comes to bringing out patches and new content or just fixing old content.

So much that gets pushed back and back and back and 2+ months on the same raid wing.

A example of old content that's close to being perfect but is neglected off the top of my head, Sanctum Sprint is a amazing little minigame and mario kart racer, but whoever gets into first place stays there because the fake upgrade bombs are largely unavoidable on extremely narrow paths and way too strong by wiping all pickups and knocking back, probably also into a pit and back to the last checkpoint and whoever is in the lead is going to get tons of them.
If those fake upgrades didn't wipe your pickups and only knocked you down instead of knocking you backwards or had a smaller hitbox so you could jump over them easier the gamemode would be much improved.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 17, 2016

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anet does so much right when it comes to how guildwars runs, like 0 patching downtime, but they are the slowest modern game I've ever seen when it comes to bringing out patches and new content or just fixing old content.

So much that gets pushed back and back and back and 2+ months on the same raid wing.

A example of old content that's close to being perfect but is neglected off the top of my head, Sanctum Sprint is a amazing little minigame and mario kart racer, but whoever gets into first place stays there because the fake upgrade bombs are largely unavoidable on extremely narrow paths and way too strong by wiping all pickups and knocking back, probably also into a pit and back to the last checkpoint and whoever is in the lead is going to get tons of them.
If those fake upgrades didn't wipe your pickups and only knocked you down instead of knocking you backwards or had a smaller hitbox so you could jump over them easier the gamemode would be much improved.

Lightning Pull, or at least the guided version, is also mad hosed if you have latency issues and has been for over a year if not longer. Nothing better than being first and then being unable to even complete the race past a point due to travel abilities not working and causing you to fly over platforms.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Another screenshot ruined by agesis

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 17, 2016

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Maybe they workin on Kodan and Tengu starting zones :ssh:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Raskolnikov posted:

I think the Aegis effect looks cool as hell :shrug:

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Raskolnikov posted:

Aegis is the the only thing in this picture I enjoy.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
plz do the double horns with the potion

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Other posted:

Lightning Pull, or at least the guided version, is also mad hosed if you have latency issues and has been for over a year if not longer. Nothing better than being first and then being unable to even complete the race past a point due to travel abilities not working and causing you to fly over platforms.

The worst part about this is that the equivalent power in the HoT storyline works perfectly, but they haven't changed Lightning Pull over to work the same way as it does and they probably never will. At least Dry Top is navigatable without it now that I can glide there.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Scorpion Wire.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
There are 15 total people streaming this game right now. Less than half the number of the aggressively average ESO and way less than half their viewers. It has been three months and counting between raid wings. WvW is just deserted on an average night. People do like two total fractals ever. Dungeons are officially abandoned content. They've released three legendaries for the expansion and have not even previewed any more at all since. Is legendary armor even still gonna be a thing and does anyone honestly care about it?

Someone up in the thread suggested ANet may be in some trouble financially and that is the only thing that makes sense. To be honest it seems pretty tone deaf on ANet's part for the comparaively rapid glider cadence to continue and they have to be aware of that. Which leads me to belive it is necessary for them to do it anyway. It's a bummer because I seriously loved base GW2. I got more than my money's worth despite having spent very irresponsibly on the gem store.

Other games I could just shrug off and give up on but I want this one to be awesome and fun again. It just seems like they don't have the resources to make that happen. Maybe I am reading into this all wrong and things are fine and they have something cool planned but I just get the feeling there's nothing.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Spirit Vale is (was) the flagship content for HoT, that should hint at the kind of direction they were heading at release.

They did successfully kill dungeons though which is something they set out to do.

Hopefully they can right the helm.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One theory I've heard along with he said she said rumors from employees at https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/ArenaNet-Reviews-E255820.htm is that their internal structure and project leadership isn't very well organized and it takes much longer to get simple projects done then people would like.

Which is why something seemingly simple like a raid LFG tab to not clutter the open-world lfg which probably should of been released alongside the raid is a multi-month ongoing project which gets responses like this when people were suggesting taking over the PvP LFG tab for raids.

Colin posted:

Love the short term problem solving - wish it was easier for us to to do a quick short term fix. (sadly nothing with LFG is easy or quick)
I did want to quickly point out the team is aware of the recent discussions around things that aren't working (or missing) from LFG and have it included in the list of "resolving outstanding issues" that is our goal for the spring update in April.
Not entirely sure what will actually make it yet LFG wise since it's all in development - we'll give more details once we're sure.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 17, 2016

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One theory I've heard along with he said she said rumors from employees at https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/ArenaNet-Reviews-E255820.htm is that their internal structure and project leadership isn't very well organized and it takes much longer to get simple projects done then people would like.

Which is why something seemingly simple like a raid LFG tab to not clutter the open-world lfg which probably should of been released alongside the raid is a multi-month ongoing project which gets responses like this from Colin when people were suggesting taking over the PvP LFG tab for raids.

One of the cons definitely seems correct:

"Chronic understaffing, unreasonably ambitious schedules and product development cycles. Steady increase in number and scope of projects, and in quality expectations, but no increase in staff."

Yeah, that's ANET.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Its really hard to know how "well" Gw2 is doing. With megaservers, its near impossible to tell if the population is low because you're always seeing people. The LFG is filled with just as many groups as before the expansion, but instead of just being Silverwastes its spread out between SW and all the new HOT zones. The only area that can really be obviously seen as being hurt (outside of the obvious dungeons) is WvW.

I do enjoy HoT. I like all the elite specs and I like open world event zones. I just wish they'd go back to the every 2 week minor content schedule with the occasional big content mixed in.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Oh gently caress I never even thought about it. Drytop with gliders! Ah that has to be so good.

I lied when I said I wouldn't play xenoblade x right after finishing the first game. I opened it up right after the credits. It is so loving good.

Anyway, Anet does so much that is right and good that the small (and large) issues are more pronounced. So far they have fixed and made everything involving major content better and greater. It just takes them months or longer to get stuff out the pipeline. Also this does not include dungeons, underwater combat and thieves. I just hope raids won't be treated like dungeons, and that dungeons won't entirely be replaced by raids. I mean aren't the raids just like harder more people dungeons?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Sprite141 posted:

Oh gently caress I never even thought about it. Drytop with gliders! Ah that has to be so good.

I lied when I said I wouldn't play xenoblade x right after finishing the first game. I opened it up right after the credits. It is so loving good.

Anyway, Anet does so much that is right and good that the small (and large) issues are more pronounced. So far they have fixed and made everything involving major content better and greater. It just takes them months or longer to get stuff out the pipeline. Also this does not include dungeons, underwater combat and thieves. I just hope raids won't be treated like dungeons, and that dungeons won't entirely be replaced by raids. I mean aren't the raids just like harder more people dungeons?

Dungeons were replaced with fractals and most fractal groups only do swamp 3 times, so 25 dungeon paths and 15 fractals are rarely done after HoT. I usually do swamp, snow, grawl in SFD but that ain't the norm.

Most people can't or won't do raids and the few who do are already bored of them, at least my group is. After the last raid wing is released at the end of 2016 you'll never see a new raid in GW2 at least in its current form.

I thought by now they'd have release difficulty options for more casual groups like every other mmo but if adding a new category to LFG takes 7 months of dev time who knows if it'll ever happen.

GW2 really needs some new five man content, anything but more zerg maps.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Everyone here seems to just accept it as hard fact that raids are something the vast majority of players aren't even interested in, even quoting numbers like 5%, is this based on any real statistics or just "well most goons don't raid, so that must be true for the entire player base"?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Magres posted:

What dye do you use for that gold color on the chest piece?

Sorry, I had to go in-game to check. Sand, apparently!

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Can you just choose which fractal you want to do now?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Can you just choose which fractal you want to do now?

You want to do Swamp, right?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Love me some swamp.

tyblazitar posted:

Everyone here seems to just accept it as hard fact that raids are something the vast majority of players aren't even interested in, even quoting numbers like 5%, is this based on any real statistics or just "well most goons don't raid, so that must be true for the entire player base"?

5% seems pretty high imo, that's around 15000 raiders.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

tyblazitar posted:

I wouldn't put it at 5%, but history with raids has shown that it is a niche interest. The numbers they have found with WoW is that 20% do normal raid activity and up to 75% participate in LFR. So maybe if they had a non-poo poo LFG/LFR tool it would increase participation.

I agree with Cletus though, ANet has a history of abandoning the content they are working on, so this will probably be the only raid.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Thank you for the present Dash, now I can combine bees and gold and fire and big-rear end wings in ways like never before

But bees are weak to fire... :ohdear:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I already miss the ice head glitch.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

GW2 really needs some new five man content, anything but more zerg maps.

They should revamp dungeons and make them fractals.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I'd be up for that, cof p2 with the enemies explode on death instability. :pray:

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

CLAM DOWN posted:

They should revamp dungeons and make them fractals.

Just so everyone can continue to run swamp swamp swamp?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

knowonecanknow posted:

Just so everyone can continue to run swamp swamp swamp?

If they made other fractals less tedious and gave a poo poo about balance, people wouldn't run swamp all the time :v:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

CLAM DOWN posted:

If they made other fractals less tedious and gave a poo poo about balance, people wouldn't run swamp all the time :v:

If they did this in any facet of this game their pve wouldn't suck poo poo

:boom:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Next you suggest they do post-release support on features other than the gem store. Please.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
One of the fixes floated at anet hq to make swamp less popular was to make you fight mossman at the beginning to activate the wisp collection quest, then a second fight in the water passage.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

One of the fixes floated at anet hq to make swamp less popular was to make you fight mossman at the beginning to activate the wisp collection quest, then a second fight in the water passage.

I know poo poo all about game design and I'm not sure what the best way would be to address this, but they gotta do something. Or, tone down other fractals to make them equally as appealing as swamp. ~balance~

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5RCeGiMby8

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I know poo poo all about game design and I'm not sure what the best way would be to address this, but they gotta do something. Or, tone down other fractals to make them equally as appealing as swamp. ~balance~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5RCeGiMby8

god that poor guy was so wrong

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

it doesn't even vaguely matter because as long as you can pick three, people will gravitate to the simplest ones. make swamp shittier and it will just be jade maw / molten / molten or whatever

the easier, more effective fix would be to redesign the daily achievements for fractals

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Totbot posted:

Its really hard to know how "well" Gw2 is doing. With megaservers, its near impossible to tell if the population is low because you're always seeing people. The LFG is filled with just as many groups as before the expansion, but instead of just being Silverwastes its spread out between SW and all the new HOT zones. The only area that can really be obviously seen as being hurt (outside of the obvious dungeons) is WvW.

I do enjoy HoT. I like all the elite specs and I like open world event zones. I just wish they'd go back to the every 2 week minor content schedule with the occasional big content mixed in.

There's only one indicator that really matters, but

GW2 was the second highest moneymaker NCsoft has when hot was released. It's obviously dropped since then, but I doubt it's in the same dire straits as wildstar. Blade and Soul probably pulled ahead because of the western release, but who knows by how much or how long that'll last.

GW2 always reminds me of when someone asked Yoshi P from ffxiv why they were using a sub model instead of a b2p model like gw2, and he said it was because you couldn't efficiently make content because you didn't know how much money you would have to work with until it was time to make the content. Somehow I feel like that's probably the biggest issue GW2 is running into. Not that they don't make money, but that it's hard to plan good content when you just flat out don't know what you have to work with.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
They would have to move Swamp down to levels 1–3 and remove it from all other tiers to get people not to run it. The fractals are so old that even if half of them weren't tedious bullshit no one would find them interesting because it's their 5,000th Cliffside run and they just want it over with so they can get their pittance of a reward. Until Anet starts actually producing content, fractals aren't going to improve that much no matter how many times they're revamped.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

money issues or no, i think people can definitely agree that a-net is monumentally bad at actually interacting with the playerbase and giving them info about poo poo. mostly they just kind of drop hints and go Soon™ which could mean half a year in the future or up to a year, and in the meanwhile the only real 'news' they get is more announcements about gem store poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
What baffles me is that even if they can't produce new content quickly, you'd think they could rehash old content more in the meantime. Crown Pavilion, SAB, ect. Hell, they could even redo certain Season 1 things like the tit-robot fight and lore it in by calling it some sort of festival and say the version you're fighting was made to celebrate the original's defeat. I'm sure there are issues with bringing back older content that might break the current code, because all MMO code is written on used napkins, but even WoW has a steady stream of holiday content to give players something during content droughts.

Probably didn't help that they decided to do Halloween and HoT release at the same time, so that was two content patches thrown together for some reason.

• Locked thread