Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

something wrong with snek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bombadilillo posted:

I want to know what happened. Did it spit it out eventually? Did it just sit there and digest half itself to death?

Eventually it finished masturbating and went about its business.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

If you could bend that far down, you'd do the same too.

sinon
Sep 28, 2005

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

The watermark says WikiHow. A Google reverse image search does not turn up a corresponding WikiHow entry. So now I'm left wondering, what is this demonstrating how to do?

the great bill catsby

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

sinon posted:

the great bill catsby

Well done!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

my fav funny picture today:

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

I'm posting this because I have a request for an image...I saw it back when I first saw this one. Possibly on SA, I don't remember. But it was another absurd musical score, titled something to do with the devil or hell, and it consisted of a massive rest, followed by one note, another rest, and another note. I believe the rests were on the order of tens of thousands of years due to the time signature and ridiculous number of measures.

I showed this to my girlfriend, and was telling her about the long rest one and can't for the life of me find it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My favourite note is "light explosives now... and now."

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

om nom nom posted:

I'm posting this because I have a request for an image...I saw it back when I first saw this one. Possibly on SA, I don't remember. But it was another absurd musical score, titled something to do with the devil or hell, and it consisted of a massive rest, followed by one note, another rest, and another note. I believe the rests were on the order of tens of thousands of years due to the time signature and ridiculous number of measures.

I showed this to my girlfriend, and was telling her about the long rest one and can't for the life of me find it.

I found this one at least:

Edit: Maybe this one?

Nice crescendo under the rest

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 08:22 on Feb 17, 2016

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

om nom nom posted:

I know exactly what you're talking about, but I can't remember the name of it. I'll see what I can dig up.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

The shortest directions are the best.

"Gong duet"

"Duck"

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

I have the second page of this one at home. I'll post it after work. With such wonderful instructions as "sand bow to taste" and "1st violins, pick up your 2nd violin here. DO NOT use your 1st violin."

e: f,b

Rysithusiku has a new favorite as of 10:29 on Feb 17, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mezzanine posted:

The shortest directions are the best.

"Gong duet"

"Duck"

"Slap thigh".

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Slap thigh".

"moon walk"

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

"release the penguins"

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Faerie's Aire and Death Waltz was the poo poo when I was in high school band. It's been my cover photo since Facebook introduced cover photos.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

om nom nom posted:

This?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Swedishly

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

om nom nom posted:

I think I remember reading about the piece you're talking about, except that the composer intended it as an actual piece of music, and there's an orchestra in the process of playing it, meeting every so often to play the next note.

e: I think that might have been As Slow As Possible of course by John Cage, the guy who brought the world 4'33, a score with nothing in it, played for four minutes and 33 seconds. Not even joking.

Also, here's Faeri's Aire and Death Waltz performed live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCgT94A7WgI

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 11:02 on Feb 17, 2016

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Christ, and I thought The Hydrogen Sonata was just parody.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Hyperlynx posted:

e: I think that might have been As Slow As Possible of course by John Cage, the guy who brought the world 4'33, a score with nothing in it, played for four minutes and 33 seconds. Not even joking.

Came to post this. The piece starts with a 17 month rest. It will take 639 years to play.

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_longest_piece_of_music_in_the_World_and_what_instrument_is_it_played_on

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Evilreaver posted:

Nice crescendo under the rest

:v:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Marta Velasquez posted:

Came to post this. The piece starts with a 17 month rest. It will take 639 years to play.

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_longest_piece_of_music_in_the_World_and_what_instrument_is_it_played_on

I just wrote a piece in 4/4 that starts with a quarter note followed by a rest for a billion billion billion measures

There now I'm the guy who wrote the longest piece of music ever, suck it chumps

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I just wrote a piece in 4/4 that starts with a quarter note followed by a rest for a billion billion billion measures

Billion billion billion AND ONE right here, bitch.

Quitsies no starties stamped. :smug:

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
The title definitely had something to do with the devil or hell. The rests were like 639 or 871 or other absurd measures. Time signature was like 578/4. I don't remember actual numbers but that's the gist.

Also "like a dirigible", "gradually become agitated", and "remove cattle from stage" are my favorite lines from faeries air and death waltz.

Edit: I promise I Google image searches for like a half hour before asking here, all sorts of different wording for absurd, unplayable sheet music, score. It seems it is lost in the internet.

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Feb 17, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mock the Cross posted:

Aww yiss, ready for some Tweets reposted on 9Gag?

This poo poo is awesome as hell. I'd also definitely see Ayoade writing these too.

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

I never knew Larry Niven composed music.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

PaulBearer posted:

Here ya go:

Thank you so much!

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Hyperlynx posted:

John Cage, the guy who brought the world 4'33, a score with nothing in it, played for four minutes and 33 seconds. Not even joking.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Not even close

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_of_Heaven_%28band%29

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I don't know much about composing, but can't you just write some music and then at the end write "Repeat until the heat death of the universe."

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

:v:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I don't know much about composing, but can't you just write some music and then at the end write "Repeat until the heat death of the universe."

You can if you're a part of some new wave hipster bullshit band apparently.

Art!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Nope. Cage again. 639 years, ending in 2640:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_Slow_as_Possible

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

lord funk posted:

Ugh, I remember back when all he was known for was punching people in the dick and throwing green balls at Asians.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

You got me.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

sinon posted:

the great bill catsby

:golfclap:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Write up the sheet music, slap a "© Wiggles Von Huggins, 2016" on it, and self-publish it.

Then go edit the "Longest Musical Piece" wikipedia page and send a link to Cage telling him the bad news

bummer dude
Jun 20, 2004

duuuude

lord funk posted:

wikipedia posted:

In early 2014, the band released ... another extremely lengthy piece, 302: It is Part of Space and Time, which runs for at least 86,370,000,000 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

lord funk posted:

Pretty sure Bull of Heaven have that beat

quote:

By the time, 310: ΩΣPx0(2^18×5^18)p*k*k*k is their longest release, and lasts for 3.343 quindecillion years.

A quindecillion is 10^48.

• Locked thread