Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the cook beat it to death even though he wasnt assigned as a fighter

i don't think it bit anybody but bloodwise is there anything i need to do or am i hosed because this guy feeds my fortress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Spanish Matlock posted:

There were a couple of new people who didn't really know how to play the game or run an LP, one guy bailed and some others didn't exactly provide enthralling storylines. The loyalty cascade basically hosed everything and turned it into just endless "[guy] kills [guy] with [thing]" forever and ever and ever.

The "not knowing how to LP" is a common thing for community LP's, but I've never uderstood it. Everyone before them has done screenshots detailing the daily life of the fortress, but some people seem to think its okay just to go

"Hey guys, I've done summer now, and the dragon attack was Waaaaay cool. half the fortress is dead now." x 4 times the post up the save.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Dreggon posted:

the cook beat it to death even though he wasnt assigned as a fighter

i don't think it bit anybody but bloodwise is there anything i need to do or am i hosed because this guy feeds my fortress

Curses only transmit via injury. The blood of a were creature is harmless.

Aug 24, 2011

are there dragons

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Dreggon posted:

are there dragons

Not usually, iirc they have breeding issues and usually get punted during worldgen. I can't remember the last time I had a dragon.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Probably will run into a cave dragon or two. Thankfully those don't breathe fire.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I actually got a dragon a few saves back. Showed up right after a massive invader siege started. The goblins actually killed it within a few turns, but it managed to start a wildfire which wiped the entire invader force (and ruined all the landscaping I'd done).

e: this was on a very short worldgen on a large world though, so that's probably why.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Decided to check out the other visualizer that came with the starter pack "Armok Vision" I remember it being cool, but it looks really promising.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

RIP My First Fort, invaded by over 100 goblins, trolls, and beak dogs, most of which were killed or trapped while massacring my army except one final troll who rampaged around the top level killing cats and children until a stray dog fought him for over and hour and won. I scored 6 migrants which I set to burying the 40ish dead at which point a second goblin army showed up and it was game over. Cage traps were awesome, the next fort will have the top level be stuffed to the gills with them behind each set of doors so the trolls get wiped out before they can smash their way to the next level down. And I'll get dog training set up faster in honor of the hero dog. I'm also thinking of putting the tavern that all the visitors hang out on the first floor so they can be massacred as well, it seems ridiculous to have 50 visiting people partying it up while all the dwarves have to fight, now they can be useful by being punching bags that thin out the invading ranks so dwarf squads can surround and kill them better.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Cage traps are hilariously good, they're just ridiculous really. The only problem is getting rid of the dudes caged, although you can strip them and use them as live militia practice.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Dreggon posted:

i told my archers to go and kill the goblins and they dropped their crossbows

two of them went to take a nap beforehand

im terrified of the first time something violent that actually attacks shows up in a fort of mine because the military system is scary

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Grey Hunter posted:

The "not knowing how to LP" is a common thing for community LP's, but I've never uderstood it. Everyone before them has done screenshots detailing the daily life of the fortress, but some people seem to think its okay just to go

"Hey guys, I've done summer now, and the dragon attack was Waaaaay cool. half the fortress is dead now." x 4 times the post up the save.

If I was to start another DF succession LP I would probably ask for a quality test post from prospective overseers.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Kitfox88 posted:

im terrified of the first time something violent that actually attacks shows up in a fort of mine because the military system is scary

Reclaim a fort with 4 military dwarves, a miner, cook, and trader/administrator

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
I have no idea what's happening.

An Axedwarf and a Farmer got caught up a tree so I sent my woodcutter/manager to cut the tree down. For starters fall damage is loving serious as a 3 z-level drop split my Farmer's lower body into gore.The Axedwarf got a couple of pretty major injuries but then everyone started attacking him. There were no alerts about him going berserk, just a couple of "Urist cancelled *blank*, interrupted by Axedwarf. Anyone got a clue?

Aug 24, 2011

Trundel posted:

An Axedwarf and a Farmer got caught up a tree

?????????????????????????????????????????????

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Trundel posted:

I T
I S
T E R R I F Y I N G

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Trundel posted:

Sounds like the beginning of a joke.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm sorry for ruining fogwalls

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I've been having several dwarves get stuck in trees and it's starting to really piss me off.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

I may have gone a bit overboard.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I'm thinking something along the lines of the Ark of the Covenant, face-melting, dwarves burning, flesh sloughing off

A perfect dwarven engraving.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I've been having several dwarves get stuck in trees and it's starting to really piss me off.

Yeah I've gotten this on a couple of embarks, but not all of them. It seems wildly inconsistent. I usually chop down every tree in the vicinity of the fortress entrance just to be on the safe side now though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I'm scoping out my new world in the Legends viewer, and I never thought about it before, but it strikes me as kind of odd that there aren't any alliances between nations. You're either at war or not at war.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm scoping out my new world in the Legends viewer, and I never thought about it before, but it strikes me as kind of odd that there aren't any alliances between nations. You're either at war or not at war.

The current diplomatic system is a placeholder until Toady gets around to doing an actual one.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Danny Glands posted:

I may have gone a bit overboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1dbqg8j5uQ

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

IN TODAY'S (TOADY'S) NEWS

Toady One posted:

We're going to continue our smaller releases before we move on. What's up for next time is still under consideration -- while that resolves, I've fixed a few minor bugs and added a few more adv crafty bits to add on to the bone crafts (like helves and sharp rocks for stone axes). For dwarf mode, we're leaning toward finishing the work order stuff we mentioned last time. For adventurers, perhaps the new stone axe will chop down a tree and open up some more jobs that way, but map changes have always been trickier there, since the location isn't tied down like it is in dwarf mode.

...Toady doesn't immediately know what comes up next? That's odd.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I'm waiting until we get hill dwarfs for our forts to get back into the game.

:sigh:

It could happen tomorrow or it could happen in five years and there's absolutely no way of knowing which it is until it happens.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Might as well enjoy the semi annual Fortress mode game. That's what I do.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

NewMars posted:

I'm waiting until we get hill dwarfs for our forts to get back into the game.

:sigh:

It could happen tomorrow or it could happen in five years and there's absolutely no way of knowing which it is until it happens.

Hill dwarfs?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
At some point he intends to have abstract off-site "hill dwarf" settlements that are associated with your fortress and you interact with/influence/control them to a degree but they aren't fully simulated to the degree your main fort is. This would let you get up to populations similar to what worldgen sites have without actually having thousands of dwarves devouring your computer. The "hillock" sites they build in worldgen are sort of the starting phase of this.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I have made my entire export economy based on selling figurines of various historical figures with the first name of 'Urist'.

The goblin traders seem to love them.

Being that the dwarf liaison from the mountain homes is a goblin for some reason.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

IAmTheRad posted:

I have made my entire export economy based on selling figurines of various historical figures with the first name of 'Urist'.

The goblin traders seem to love them.

Being that the dwarf liaison from the mountain homes is a goblin for some reason.

Considering Urist is the dwarven word for "dagger" I wonder if these are just knives with smiley faces etched in them.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Lobsterpillar posted:

Hill dwarfs?

Populations under your control outside your immediate fort, the starting point for the 4x part of Dwarf Fortress where nobles actually matter.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
There's this weird dfhack plugin called df-ai. Yeah, it's a bot playing Dwarf Fortress. I watched the computer survive for about 90 mins, and did take an hour off during the middle of it to have something to eat.

They all found fun when a forgotten beast decided to visit. They all died in an in-game week. All 30 of them.

It wasn't even a dangerous beast. Water, quadruped, wings, web attack.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
How's performance in this version compared to the Big Trees release?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How's performance in this version compared to the Big Trees release?

Basically no different from my limited playing with 0.42.06.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

IAmTheRad posted:

There's this weird dfhack plugin called df-ai. Yeah, it's a bot playing Dwarf Fortress. I watched the computer survive for about 90 mins, and did take an hour off during the middle of it to have something to eat.

They all found fun when a forgotten beast decided to visit. They all died in an in-game week. All 30 of them.

It wasn't even a dangerous beast. Water, quadruped, wings, web attack.

Web attack is actually super deadly.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danny Glands posted:

With all the new stuff that's been added, I'd be willing to have a go at the next big succession fort project. Dunno if I would want to start it or not this time, because 1. I already have a LP in progress and 2. I'm still kind of leery from doing another DF succession LP due to the failure of Fogwall.

I personally really like Fogwall, and had a blast with my small contribution to it. What's your current LP? I'd PM you but you don't have them. :(

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

It's a baseball management simulator LP. It's somewhat like Dwarf Therapist but with less drunkenness and sun-sickness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

what's the point if your players can't hurl when rounding third base