Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Do I have enough piety to victory dance invo, or is oka's haste basically unusable until lategame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I did, but then I died in orc to an early warlord

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

mossyfisk posted:

./saves/logfile

Hmm, thanks. I saw that file before asking, it didn't have any stack trace or anything like that so I figured there might have been something else. I'll just keep an eye on git and wait a few more commits and play online in the meantime.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

... just like god intended...

You're gonna have to be more specific :)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

kaschei posted:

http://crawl.develz.org/release/ has down to 0.5, I'm not sure what the first DCSS release was but I bet it's that

That's probably the earliest one that you can find binaries of, but 0.1.1 is around if you're willing to build it yourself. Does it run? :shrug: (the first DCSS release was 0.1, but if github has it I can't figure out how to get at it)

0.1.1 changelog highlight: "You now cannot read-identify scrolls of paper if you have three levels of blurry vision."

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

kaschei posted:

http://crawl.develz.org/release/ has down to 0.5, I'm not sure what the first DCSS release was but I bet it's that

I want to say that 0.5 might have been the first tiles version...? Maybe 0.4.

megane posted:

That's probably the earliest one that you can find binaries of, but 0.1.1 is around if you're willing to build it yourself. Does it run? :shrug: (the first DCSS release was 0.1, but if github has it I can't figure out how to get at it)

0.1.1 changelog highlight: "You now cannot read-identify scrolls of paper if you have three levels of blurry vision."

BEYOND quality

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I vaguely remember playing a 0.4.x tiles version but that was so long ago I can hardly remember. Also, this reminds me I've been playing since 2009 and only won 3 times since :smith:

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 17, 2016

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lom Lobon isn't affected by Silence? gently caress you game. gently caress you in your inconsistent rear end.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Demon spells can't be muted :ssh:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Yeah, silence falls off dramatically in usefulness in extended except in tomb, which is the point of the game at which it is by far the most useful. That kind of thing is one reason I never play extended anymore except to occasionally maul everyone as a victory lap with a truly ridiculous character.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Silence doesn't prevent innate abilities, because they aren't spells. Read the spell descriptions people.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I think it's a fairly understandable mistake because the innate abilities of pan lords and hell lords are mostly identical to player spells. Of course, it's also the kind of mistake you only make once.

Regardless, I generally dislike the fact that extended polarizes a lot abilities that were situational but good in the main game into either amazing or useless.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Today I learned that Fulminant Prism is awesome. I died of course, but it was fun. Bloody Kirke.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
What if silence was something else instead? Replace it with a spell that scales with spellpower and it stifles spellcasting by making it take longer to use. This way you could rescale this "silence" by having it work to varying degrees with different enemies, including demons, instead of being a yes/no since it's obvious that a "yes" would be too OP for certain enemies (though maybe it could work like silence if an enemy is particularly vulnerable). I don't know what it would check for the enemy though (HD? MR? Enemy type?)

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

apple posted:

What if silence was something else instead? Replace it with a spell that scales with spellpower and it stifles spellcasting by making it take longer to use. This way you could rescale this "silence" by having it work to varying degrees with different enemies, including demons, instead of being a yes/no since it's obvious that a "yes" would be too OP for certain enemies (though maybe it could work like silence if an enemy is particularly vulnerable). I don't know what it would check for the enemy though (HD? MR? Enemy type?)

An antimagic aura is the only way I can think of to implement that, and I think that might be way more powerful than Silence, which is still an interesting and usefull spell for all non-demon areas.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Summon moth of suppression

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Buff Trog even more by giving him a ****- ability that gives you a 5 tile aura that gives mild antimagic effect to everyone

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
Uh, how much weaker is spectral weapon now that its power is linked to spellpower? At max power is it still good or is it now worthless beyond a certain point?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Larry Parrish posted:

Buff Trog even more by giving him a ****- ability that gives you a 5 tile aura that gives mild antimagic effect to everyone

I'm actually kind of surprised this isn't a thing. Make it a roar-like ability that doesn't stun or paralyze, but does something to the effect of frighten magic users making spellcasting either more difficult or take longer to cast. A flat-out silence roar might be too powerful (and that's kinda what Trog's Hand is for anyway, with the MR++ boost).

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

I want to say that 0.5 might have been the first tiles version...? Maybe 0.4.
0.4 definitely had a tiles version, source: me getting killed by orb babies the first time I reached Zot with my MD berserker.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised this isn't a thing. Make it a roar-like ability that doesn't stun or paralyze, but does something to the effect of frighten magic users making spellcasting either more difficult or take longer to cast. A flat-out silence roar might be too powerful (and that's kinda what Trog's Hand is for anyway, with the MR++ boost).
Trog really, really doesn't need it. Between antimagic weapons and trogs hand you're set for basically everything except Tomb anyway. Antimagic is one of the best brands in the game, you don't need another way to chump nerd demons.

"Bolt of Antimagic" would be a neat spell for a wand/rod though.

e: Unrelated, but is there a special reason why Fiends/Liches/etc are totally magic immune instead of MR+++++ (or lower)? In my experience MR++ is already 'very hex resistant' and basically everything except player ghosts and panlords doesn't exceed MR+++. I don't think having a 1% chance to confuse a fiend is going to cripple them, and having most of the notable endgame enemies be totally immune shuts the door on interesting new high level hexes.

Darox fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 17, 2016

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
has anyone done well as a SpAs? I'm starting to think it can't be done (or that I'm just bad at crawl. I am bad at crawl)

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Spriggian pro tip: don't turn off dodging at the start of the game.
Most people recommend focusing on offensive skills exclusively when you start out and that's a pretty good idea for most races, but spriggians get so much ev for so little xp that you really should keep it on. You're squishy otherwise, so getting an extra 10+ ev for cheap is very helpful.

SpAs is good; spriggians love kiting, blowguns love kiting, the two together is like a free ticket to lair.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Fhqwhgads posted:

It's only a 1 tile radius but feature exists: antimagic axe.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Alternatively Spriggans start with 18 EV which is feels like it's enough defensively in the early-early game. But investment in Dodging doesn't really hurt them all that much in their traditional classes; Short Blades have a low soft cap of 14? to min-delay a rapier, they use Throwing more for needles than peppering the enemy with tomahawks (javelins are too big) and are pretty accurate initially, and Fighting doesn't give them much of an HP boost. Going Hexes and Poison Magic might see some trade-off however.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Darox posted:

e: Unrelated, but is there a special reason why Fiends/Liches/etc are totally magic immune instead of MR+++++ (or lower)? In my experience MR++ is already 'very hex resistant' and basically everything except player ghosts and panlords doesn't exceed MR+++. I don't think having a 1% chance to confuse a fiend is going to cripple them, and having most of the notable endgame enemies be totally immune shuts the door on interesting new high level hexes.

Well, an edge case is that Yred can use Enslave Soul on demons now, so a pet spectral Hell Sentinel/Ice Fiend might be too strong.

Edit: Actually I don't know if it checks MR because I've barely used it.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 17, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm not sure I'd want a pet Hell Sentinel, since they seem quite happy to collaterally Hellfire the bejeezus out of their pals at every opportunity.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm not sure I'd want a pet Hell Sentinel, since they seem quite happy to collaterally Hellfire the bejeezus out of their pals at every opportunity.

I want to take a pet Serpent of Hell to Zot and back.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Person Dyslexic posted:

Uh, how much weaker is spectral weapon now that its power is linked to spellpower? At max power is it still good or is it now worthless beyond a certain point?
It gets to eventually be just as strong as it is in 0.17, you just need some spellpower to get it there. So it's not "double your damage as soon as you can cast the spell", it's "double your damage once you invest enough in the spell"

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is there a key that will let me pick up whatever I was going to pick up off the space I'm currently on? I've just been moving off the space and back, but is there a more efficient way to do it?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

odiv posted:

Is there a key that will let me pick up whatever I was going to pick up off the space I'm currently on? I've just been moving off the space and back, but is there a more efficient way to do it?

'g' for grab will let you pick up anything in your current space.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Hit g or comma.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I don't remember those automatically picking things up, just giving me a menu. Has that changed? (Maybe it auto selects the auto-pickups?)

I'll try next time I'm on a square with something that's set to autopickup I guess.

edit: nope. :(

odiv fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 17, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

They don't automatically pick it up, no. If you want that then auto-explore (o) will do the job without having to step off.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, then I'll start moving though, right?

I guess I'll just keep stepping off and back on the current square then. Thanks.

Having your autopickups pre-selected from the pick up menu seems like a potentially good decision.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Spines is the best mutation ever and I love it on my Demonspawns. Can we have a race that is just spiny by default? I love building crazy tanky and just watching things impale themselves on me.

Edit: Bonus points if I get to be a spiny crab. Please Crawl devs. Let me be this.

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 17, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Maxmaps posted:

Spines is the best mutation ever and I love it on my Demonspawns. Can we have a race that is just spiny by default? I love building crazy tanky and just watching things impale themselves on me.

Edit: Bonus points if I get to be a spiny crab. Please Crawl devs. Let me be this.

It menaces with spikes of shell.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Right now I'm a Qazlal worshipping Demonspawn with Miasma, Spines, and a big gently caress-off axe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNIZofPB8ZM

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

How "random" is the vault/level generation? I've had the same Orc last level for my last 6 characters (the one with a bunch of guys around the stairs, one stone village section with 2 stores, one metal village section with 2 stores).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Scaramouche posted:

How "random" is the vault/level generation? I've had the same Orc last level for my last 6 characters (the one with a bunch of guys around the stairs, one stone village section with 2 stores, one metal village section with 2 stores).

Branch ends select from a few different vaults--somewhere in the 3-5 range of total patterns I think? Depending on the branch, the vault can be relatively small (lair), about half the floor (zot, snake), or the entire thing (crypt).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Speaking of random poo poo, do you guys have any superstitions about how a char is going to turn out based on how things go on the first level? They rarely bear out, but I always get a kick out of them. For example:
- First random stat up is useless (e.g. Int on fighter) then the guy is doomed
- First ring is useless (e.g. Resist poison on gargoyle) then the guy will have terrible item luck
- First useful item is cursed, will never find Remove Curse scroll

• Locked thread