Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
In the markets where the Corolla is a common taxi they're using the CVT. The old 4 speed is pretty much unique to the US these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

dissss posted:

In the markets where the Corolla is a common taxi they're using the CVT. The old 4 speed is pretty much unique to the US these days.

I figured it'd mostly be the manual in those markets, but that makes sense I guess.

I wonder why they continue to offer it then, if it's just a case of being able to get people in the door with the lowest possible advertised MSRP or if there's a significant market for it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

I figured it'd mostly be the manual in those markets, but that makes sense I guess.

I wonder why they continue to offer it then, if it's just a case of being able to get people in the door with the lowest possible advertised MSRP or if there's a significant market for it.

It's probably like the TF33 engines the B52 and KC135 use where there are millions of them in a warehouse somewhere and they have enough to make them last to the heat death of the universe so just keep putting them in something.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

It's probably like the TF33 engines the B52 and KC135 use where there are millions of them in a warehouse somewhere and they have enough to make them last to the heat death of the universe so just keep putting them in something.

That's the opposite of how Toyota likes to do things. They've probably got the process so cheap and reliable that management doesn't see why they shouldn't keep selling 'em.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Wheeee posted:

I was amused to watch a new Corolla pulling off from a stop a couple days ago. Its back end raised up just the right amount as the acceleration paused just the right amount at the right times, it was pretty obviously neither a CVT or a 4-speed slushbox. The guy was going the same place I was and I asked him when we got there, and sure enough this guy managed to get a manual Corolla off the lot.

They do exist!

donut
Feb 4, 2001

When I bought my Yaris in 2012 I had a hell of a time finding a manual one on a lot but by gum I tracked one down. They only had them in the basest-of-base trim levels, but not on the more sporting variants. You can't get one anymore though. You'd think they'd at least hypothetically offer one just to knock $1,000 off the advertised base price. Looks like at least the Corolla has it available on the super-base trim and on the S.

donut fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 17, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Auron posted:

Interesting, I guess I've never heard of widespread Honds automatic issues other than the V6 cars. Sure their automatics in the pre 2006 civic felt a bit slushy but I didn't have any problems with the previous generation civic.

It's not just failures which is common to begin with, but they just don't work very well. I owned a Civic and an Accord with autos and although they never failed they were by far the worst automatics I experienced in terms of not being able to just choose a loving gear and hunting all over the place unless it was at a certain rpm. On the interstate it was maddening.

My brother insisted on buying an Accord with an auto even though I warned him, and within a few months of ownership it was being replaced, and he has taken it back multiple times because they can't get it to work right if it ever did to begin with. I love Hondas but I will never again own one with an automatic.

[e] my experience is with 90's and early 2k cars, but it has been enough to make me swear them all off because now I personally don't believe Honda can make a good automatic.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 17, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

donut posted:

When I bought my Yaris in 2012 I had a hell of a time finding a manual one on a lot but by gum I tracked one down. They only had them in the basest-of-base trim levels, but not on the more sporting variants. You can't get one anymore though. You'd think they'd at least hypothetically offer one just to knock $1,000 off the advertised base price. Looks like at least the Corolla has it available on the super-base trim and on the S.

My wife had a base model 07 Yaris with a stick when I met her. Only option she sprung for were the alloy wheels. I think they were 14s. Crank windows baby!

Manual car with no tach felt a little odd and the clutch was so light with no feedback but the car was so light you could drive the absolute piss out of it and still get great mileage.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Bovril Delight posted:

My wife had a base model 07 Yaris with a stick when I met her. Only option she sprung for were the alloy wheels. I think they were 14s. Crank windows baby!

Manual car with no tach felt a little odd and the clutch was so light with no feedback but the car was so light you could drive the absolute piss out of it and still get great mileage.

I love my stick 08 yaris. It's got 15s and power windows, tho

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My ZX2 only has two options: cruise control and air conditioning. Crank windows, manual locks, AM/FM with tape player, 5-speed manual. The alloy wheels were standard. I love it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

leica posted:

It's not just failures which is common to begin with, but they just don't work very well. I owned a Civic and an Accord with autos and although they never failed they were by far the worst automatics I experienced in terms of not being able to just choose a loving gear and hunting all over the place unless it was at a certain rpm. On the interstate it was maddening.

My brother insisted on buying an Accord with an auto even though I warned him, and within a few months of ownership it was being replaced, and he has taken it back multiple times because they can't get it to work right if it ever did to begin with. I love Hondas but I will never again own one with an automatic.

[e] my experience is with 90's and early 2k cars, but it has been enough to make me swear them all off because now I personally don't believe Honda can make a good automatic.

Well a few decades must make a difference, because the only thing I can fault the five-speed in my CR-V is for not being a six-speed. It could use another gear but it rarely gets confused and is much quicker to kick down than any GM automatic I've driven, and way faster to kick down than the 545RFE in my Jeep. Can't say I've ever driven an older Hondamatic. I will also admit to being very pleasantly surprised by the Honda CVT in the current-gen Accord. Once you get past the initial oddity of how the RPMs move, it's like driving an automatic with instant kick down, and you always go right to VTEC YO.

I still say my favorite automatics of all time are Mercedes autos, though. The five-speed in the W210 and the whatever-speed in my dad's C63 AMG are both stupid quick and seemingly impossible to confuse.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Crank windows means never having to replace motors. I dream of having them on modern cars because ok sure.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My Cherokee has manual locks, manual windows... but power mirror adjustment. I guess if one thing was to be standardized for ease, that'd be it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

fyodor posted:

Crank windows means never having to replace motors. I dream of having them on modern cars because ok sure.

I've had to replace a manual crank assembly before. Pretty much the same work as replacing a motor.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

fyodor posted:

I've never had a power window motor go bad, but I do tend to drive new cars for 10+ years instead of buying used cars and keeping them even longer except for one. How frequently do window motors go bad? When they go bad does it usually have more to do with the amount of usage they saw or just age?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

fyodor posted:

I have the opposite experience. Manual cranks seems to often be hosed by POs strongarming open frozen windows, while i havent had any power windows fail on me yet.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I never had a motor die but I wore out the reel in my window but closing the door as the window was going up/down. Frameless Windows. The wire just jumped off one day and got jammed and then the motor had enough torque to snap the wire.

Was an absolute bitch to replace the whole assembly and it's never been the same since.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well a few decades must make a difference, because the only thing I can fault the five-speed in my CR-V is for not being a six-speed. It could use another gear but it rarely gets confused and is much quicker to kick down than any GM automatic I've driven, and way faster to kick down than the 545RFE in my Jeep. Can't say I've ever driven an older Hondamatic. I will also admit to being very pleasantly surprised by the Honda CVT in the current-gen Accord. Once you get past the initial oddity of how the RPMs move, it's like driving an automatic with instant kick down, and you always go right to VTEC YO.

I still say my favorite automatics of all time are Mercedes autos, though. The five-speed in the W210 and the whatever-speed in my dad's C63 AMG are both stupid quick and seemingly impossible to confuse.

I had the opposite experience with Mercedes automatics with my Mom's old C230Kompressor. It was just sluggish and refused to do anything except waft around. Driving a mercedes(at least a 4cyl one) in anger is a losing proposition. The CLK350 is much nicer. Maybe automatics just benefit from having more power going into them?

The 4EAT in the base impreza seems to do pretty well. After the awful DPS6 in the ford focus, my expectations for automatics are pretty low. The 6AT in the base MINI (non turbo) is pretty good too, but only in sport mode. In normal it's worse than a prius for throttle response. In sport mode that car is loving fiendish. It revs to redline on every shift, holds gears, kicks down smartly, and poo poo, the throttle response is so fast. You can tell the same people who make M3's make this car because that poo poo is shockingly good. Driving a base mini in anger is fun as poo poo.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I drove a mini as a rental and I confirm that it was the most fun I've ever had with a car having never driven an M3 before. Not only was the throttle responsive but you could really feel the acceleration and handling. Too bad all the reliability headaches make it the worst car to own.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I once drove an 88 Accord with 200,000 miles. It had a beautiful shifting automatic. :iiaca:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Kraftwerk posted:

I drove a mini as a rental and I confirm that it was the most fun I've ever had with a car having never driven an M3 before. Not only was the throttle responsive but you could really feel the acceleration and handling. Too bad all the reliability headaches make it the worst car to own.

Honestly, if the car had a Roundel on the hood and not a pair of wings, nobody would bat an eye, it would be par for the course.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BloodBag posted:

Honestly, if the car had a Roundel on the hood and not a pair of wings, nobody would bat an eye, it would be par for the course.

What, because British cars have such a reputation for reliability?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

BloodBag posted:

I wouldn't own a BMW either. As much as I love my friend who drives a flatbed I would rather never have to see him.
He tows so many broken down BMWs it's not even funny. Unfortunately the most fun cars are also the least reliable. I don't really understand why that's the case but it is.

I think as far as German brands go the only ones I'd ever take my chances with are the Mercedes Benz C Class and maybe Porsche. Everything else seems to be a garage queen.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kraftwerk posted:

I wouldn't own a BMW either. As much as I love my friend who drives a flatbed I would rather never have to see him.
He tows so many broken down BMWs it's not even funny. Unfortunately the most fun cars are also the least reliable. I don't really understand why that's the case but it is.

I think as far as German brands go the only ones I'd ever take my chances with are the Mercedes Benz C Class and maybe Porsche. Everything else seems to be a garage queen.

According to surveys the new Cadillacs are weirdly reliable and also more fun to drive than BMW

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Kraftwerk posted:

Unfortunately the most fun cars are also the least reliable. I don't really understand why that's the case but it is.
Fun cars sell to the id, reliable cars to the ego, it costs the manufacturer quite a bit to do both, and it probably won't lead to a higher sales price in the end.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

According to surveys the new Cadillacs are weirdly reliable and also more fun to drive than BMW

I still can't believe Cadillac how utterly ugly the base dash display in the cts and ats is. I can only assume they make it as horrid as possible to force people to get the premium LCD screen.

That and the cup holder cover that is motorized. That's just something else that can break.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fyodor posted:

I converted my Miata to manual from power windows because the power windows in Miatas are garbage and I got sick of it. Also now i don't have to turn the ignition on to put the windows up if it's going to rain.

Sagebrush posted:

My ZX2 only has two options: cruise control and air conditioning. Crank windows, manual locks, AM/FM with tape player, 5-speed manual. The alloy wheels were standard. I love it.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a ZX2 for my next BG since it has all the good suspension and brakes on it already rather than swapping everything on to a Mazda. But how does the Ford motor feel with the BG chassis? I also REALLY don't like the ZX2 dash, it's pretty goofy looking.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Kraftwerk posted:

Minis always score really high in customer satisfaction surveys and horrendously in quality surveys. People just put up with them. I've had mine for 8 years (although it's for sale now) and can kind of understand why. That being said, I don't think I'd buy another one.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My previous car (rip 2000 Civic) had both motors go out. I would carpool with my friend in his 2005 530i. Both he and his wife's 528i (same year) have had their front window motors fail. You know when it's going to happen because they start slowing down.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
~Haters vacate~

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/world+premiere+lexus+lc+500h+geneva+motor+show.htm

quote:

The new Multi Stage Hybrid System marries the elements of a traditional full hybrid powertrain -including a 3.5 litre V6 petrol engine, a powerful electric motor and a lithium-ion battery pack to a 4-speed automatic gearbox mounted at the rear of the hybrid transmission.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

drgitlin posted:

Re: infotainment chat, CarPlay is actually pretty rubbish IMO. It's been flaky as hell with this Volt I am driving this week, and is constantly broken on my friend's Golf R. Also, not all OEM infotainment systems suck. The latest versions of iDrive, MMI, and Sensus are all really very good. But I'm having our infotainment skeptic (Ron Amadeo) work on a review of bunch of OEM systems so we'll see what he comes up with.

I don't know if the 2016 Stingray came with a better-suited head unit, but CarPlay is loving amazing in it. Apple maps is fine in my neck of the woods (phoenix) and it has yet to steer me wrong. I don't have weird issues with it or anything.

Siri integration is as expected, it works better for some things (receiving and replying to texts) than others (finding the playlist I'm wanting to queue up).

But it's a perfectly good infotainment system.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

4-speed auto that's bold.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I guess they have to work really hard to finish off that stockpile they have for Corollas.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

fyodor posted:

4-speed auto that's bold.

It's more of a 4 speed splitter on an electronic CVT. It uses both together to have 10 steps of gears.

Think of a hi range and lo range 4wd - except they added another hi and another lo.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
It's probably going to be terrible because nobody puts a 4 speed in a car these days.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

It's probably going to be terrible because nobody puts a 4 speed in a car these days.

And also the grille.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Those grilles go without saying. Definitely an 'interesting' design decision.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

So I have an opportunity to drive a 2015 911 Turbo S. As someone who has never really paid attention to Porsche or experienced one, what can I expect? What should I try to do? Is this actually a good car or is it just brand cred?

EDIT: \/\/\/\/ No it's not.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 18, 2016

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kraftwerk posted:

So I have an opportunity to drive a 2015 9/11 Turbo S. As someone who has never really paid attention to Porsche or experienced one, what can I expect? What should I try to do? Is this actually a good car or is it just brand cred?

Was that forward slash in 911 on purpose? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Watch out for foreign drivers t-boning you. #911Jokes