Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Angry Lobster posted:

Same for me, never realized that, some games seem to have time tracking and others don't, example:

So far every game I have played it hasn't tracked. I have The Witcher III, Trails in the Sky: SC. The Last Express, Freedom Planet, Legacy of Kane: Soul Reaver, and Crimzon Clover. None of those games have tracking times.

Eh! Frank posted:

I think for it to track your play time, you have to launch it through the actual Galaxy client, if you launch the game through a desktop shortcut or whatever it doesn't seem to track it. I may be completely wrong, that's just what I've noticed.

I always use Galaxy Client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Megadyptes posted:

midi stuff

So what's the difference here between MT-32 and these sound canvases?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So far every game I have played it hasn't tracked. I have The Witcher III, Trails in the Sky: SC. The Last Express, Freedom Planet, Legacy of Kane: Soul Reaver, and Crimzon Clover. None of those games have tracking times.

I've been browsing their forums and it appears the tracker only works when you are online and it's still pretty buggy though.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Hollenhammer posted:

So what's the difference here between MT-32 and these sound canvases?
not entirely sure to be honest, the mt-32 was an earlier midi thing and the sc-55 was based on some newer general midi standard. the sc-55 did cm-32 and mt-32 emulation though. I'm just a fiddling around with poo poo kind of nerd, not an audio nerd.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Megadyptes posted:

not entirely sure to be honest, the mt-32 was an earlier midi thing and the sc-55 was based on some newer general midi standard. the sc-55 did cm-32 and mt-32 emulation though. I'm just a fiddling around with poo poo kind of nerd, not an audio nerd.

Well its great work, really useful. I hope the sc-55 is all we'd need

edit: just to come back to this. After a whole lot of reading myself, what you said makes more sense to me now. MT-32 is the best for pre General Midi composed music (so pre 1992). The best guide for GM seems to be use what it was composed on, namely the SC-55

Hollenhammer fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 27, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Angry Lobster posted:

I've been browsing their forums and it appears the tracker only works when you are online and it's still pretty buggy though.

I'm always online and it still doesn't work. :(

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
GOG have their own version of Early Access now: "In Development", no questions asked refunds within 14 days.

quote:

* Starbound
* Ashes of the Singularity
* Project Zomboid
* TerraTech
* The Curious Expedition

full article:
http://www.gog.com/news/introducing_games_in_development

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Starbound still isn't out?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Project Zomboid still isn't out?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Twobirds posted:

Project Zomboid still isn't out?

Wow, how long has it been? I remember hearing about this game years ago thinking that I'll wait until it's finished, then I forgot it ever existed.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Curious Expedition seems pretty cool. Any trip reports?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Oldstench posted:

Curious Expedition seems pretty cool. Any trip reports?

It's pretty good and also pretty brutal, though there have been a number of updates since I last played it. It's basically a risk/reward simulator. Nothing is ever free and you pay a price for every little thing you do.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Kamrat posted:

Wow, how long has it been? I remember hearing about this game years ago thinking that I'll wait until it's finished, then I forgot it ever existed.

Me too, until I saw it on Steam last year. They had their offices burgled and hard drives catch on fire but by God they'll finish this game even if everyone is sick of zombies by the time it comes out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I... I just bought the bloody Witcher 3 for £0.72. I have no idea what happened, but Amazon UK for nearly one hour had a bunch of recent AAA games (Just Cause 3, Dirt Rally, etc) for ridiculous prices that seemed like an error.

My computer can't even run this game!

Someone grab this Giants Citizen Kabuto code so I feel less bad about it:

FDC15-D5D61-DBBB4-638F4

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I... I just bought the bloody Witcher 3 for £0.72. I have no idea what happened, but Amazon UK for nearly one hour had a bunch of recent AAA games (Just Cause 3, Dirt Rally, etc) for ridiculous prices that seemed like an error.

My computer can't even run this game!

Someone grab this Giants Citizen Kabuto code so I feel less bad about it:

FDC15-D5D61-DBBB4-638F4

I took it, hope it makes you feel better to have it in my backlog :cawg:

(Thanks)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Starbound was the game that soured me on pre-orders for games to be long in development; their dev team must be impossibly thick and the fanbase is equal parts terrifying and pathetic. In short, buy Terraria... a great game that is actually finished.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

betaechodeltapapa-YTXU-88Z8-8D29 CLAIMED
65AR-79P5-quebeclimasierraeight-U8X9 CLAIMED

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 8, 2016

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

betaechodeltapapa-YTXU-88Z8-8D29
65AR-79P5-quebeclimasierraeight-U8X9

Got the 1st one, thanks!

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer

betaechodeltapapa-YTXU-88Z8-8D29 CLAIMED
65AR-79P5-quebeclimasierraeight-U8X9

Took the second one. Thanks I only ever got to play the first Carmageddon :)

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Final code.
nineninecharliedeltasix-FACB1-sevenfoxtrotcharlieechodelta-nineoneechocharliecharlie CLAIMED

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 9, 2016

Pecked To Death
Jun 27, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Final code.
nineninecharliedeltasix-FACB1-sevenfoxtrotcharlieechodelta-nineoneechocharliecharlie

Claimed. Thankyou goon sir.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
For the next 2 days you can get Consortium: Master Edition for free.

I've only played through it once so far but it crashed before the end. Seems very ambitious (on a small scale), though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Internet Archive just uploaded hundreds of Windows 3.1 applications/games to their web site. You can play Jezzball for free!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Holy poo poo, BOXWORLD. That's the Sokoban clone I've been wondering about for the past 20 years!

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Yeah baby, SkiFree https://archive.org/details/win3_SKIFREE

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
You can download a 32-bit version that runs on modern Windows from the original programmer's website.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

The Kins posted:

You can download a 32-bit version that runs on modern Windows from the original programmer's website.

I need my Win3.1 title bar aesthetic, man.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

So, with Galaxy, can you move whole games to different folders and then use repair or whatever to make them work immediately? Or do you have to uninstall-reinstall?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

It's the same as Steam; copy folder, uninstall, then choose 'import folder' under Manage.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Alright, thanks! Can't stand the loading times in PoE on a HDD.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Saoshyant posted:

The Internet Archive just uploaded hundreds of Windows 3.1 applications/games to their web site. You can play Jezzball for free!

awwww gently caress yes I can play Warlords 2 again :getin:

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

awwww gently caress yes I can play Warlords 2 again :getin:

Now we just need that scenario pack which was released for it, the one with all sorts crazy new maps and units, like WW1.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I've been thinking about picking up some of the Ultima games once they go on sale. Is it worth it to buy the whole series? I know that 8 & 9 are terrible and should be avoided, but the first three seems like they're pretty inaccessible nowadays. I thought about trying U4 and the Worlds of Ultima since they're free, but I don't know how representative they are of the other games (I know that Worlds of Ultima uses the U6 engine, but I've heard that the U6 interface is really cumbersome).

I know that for Ultima 7, you can use Exult and I found a set of patches for all the games.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I found 4 still good and very playable. 5 is very hard and also obtuse and 6's interface gets in the way. I played 8 as a kid so I have some misguided affection for it.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

4 and 5 are functionally very similar, I would certainly try 4 and progress if you like it. The Worlds of Ultima games made improvements over the original engine from 6 (get used to keyboard shortcuts for your actions). I think they are all products of their time but have a lot of neat details and ideas.

3 is honestly pretty similar to 4 and 5, except for party construction, but 2 is just bizarre. 1 got a remake and I found it pretty playable, weirdly.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Twobirds posted:

4 and 5 are functionally very similar, I would certainly try 4 and progress if you like it. The Worlds of Ultima games made improvements over the original engine from 6 (get used to keyboard shortcuts for your actions). I think they are all products of their time but have a lot of neat details and ideas.

3 is honestly pretty similar to 4 and 5, except for party construction, but 2 is just bizarre. 1 got a remake and I found it pretty playable, weirdly.

Let me also reiterate. 5 is really hard. Also having NPCs with schedules is OK, but when all the sprites look alike and may be just about anywhere, it makes things tough.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Ultima 5 has an excellent remake as a Dungeon Siege mod. NUVIE is what you want to play Ultima 6. 8 isn't terrible, but it was a huge break from the previous games.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

augustus gluten posted:

Let me also reiterate. 5 is really hard. Also having NPCs with schedules is OK, but when all the sprites look alike and may be just about anywhere, it makes things tough.

I just don't think it's that dissimilar from 4.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Twobirds posted:

I just don't think it's that dissimilar from 4.

I'm not meaning to steamroll your thing. It's not that different, but I just really bounced off of 5 for those reason when I thought 4 was OK for a game of that era. That being said, it's opaque as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

I will concede that the sandalwood box was a total dick move.