Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Torment purposely went against a lot of D&D and fantasy RPG isms, so maybe that will happen here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
A number of the D&D CRPGs are memorable for their writing and presentation, but the you almost never hear anybody wax nostalgic about the gameplay.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A number of the D&D CRPGs are memorable for their writing and presentation, but the you almost never hear anybody wax nostalgic about the gameplay.

Tower of Doom, Shadow of Mystara :colbert:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Those are actually arcade beat em ups. Don't gently caress with me!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

Fantasy Empires :colbert:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Kai Tave posted:

To be fair, Planescape Torment's gameplay was also kinda lovely to "just there" but that's not why it's fondly remembered anyway, so.

P:T is a perfect example of "great writing, abysmal gameplay." It's one of the best games for an LP because someone ELSE has to deal with the slow, plodding, boring-rear end gameplay and you get to enjoy the good writing.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

BTW, there may be some enjoyable grog at RPGnet's thread about paradox purcheasing WW, page 107+ or so (or possibly ealier).

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

ProfessorCirno posted:

And much like their source material, better games that are actually worth your time have come along since.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

And much like their source material, better games that are actually worth your time have come along since.

Name names.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
This is the TG cat thread right?

I think I'm being lured in for the kill.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 17, 2016

Dec 26, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

I cannot wait for that game to be loving awful.

The beta's out, and by all accounts, you don't have to wait.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

01011001 posted:

The beta's out, and by all accounts, you don't have to wait.

It seems okay as far as the tutorial area and the first zone after that went, but I've yet to play beyond that because work.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

dwarf74 posted:

This is the TG cat thread right?

I think I'm being lured in for the kill.

Would spring that trap.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I highly recommend this short film. Great inspiration for scifi or mystery games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L7b5UZHOpY

It's best to go in blind. A non spoiler summary below.

Check out this intriguing science fiction short film directed by the talented Arthur Choupin and produced by ARI Pictures! David's life, ambitious young trader takes a new turn when he moves into an apartment self-regulated by an artificial intelligence named ARI. Originally designed for indoor comfort and household management, ARI surreptitiously intrudes into the professional life and privacy of David, under the suspicious gaze of Gump, his endearing pet robot.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kwyndig posted:

Would spring that trap.
Oh he gets me every time.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
C7 released Horselords of Rohan for TOR today and I bought the pdf. Looks pretty good: it's got new horse rules (both for travel and combat), info about Rohan, Fangorn, Isengard and Dunland, two new cultures (Rohan and Dunland) and such. As usual, the art is pretty great and the maps are pretty.

And since no one in Rohan knew about hobbits before the War of the Ring, one recommendation is that player hobbits might want to disguise themselves as dorfs in Rohan.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Dragon's Crown?

Kwyndig posted:

Would spring that trap.

Agreed. Except my cat kind of enjoys it, so the odds of it becoming a trap are around 10 percent or so.

gradenko_2000 posted:

But but but my kickstarter pledge :( I backed that game on the basis of "I know nothing about tabletop D&D and Monte Cook's design cred, but Planescape Torment was pretty good, right?"

I backed it because I didn't have the funds to back Wasteland 2 the first time around but I did when Torment: Numenera came around. I pledged enough so that I'd get Wasteland 2 and a chance to see how my money burned.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 18, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LuiCypher posted:

I backed it because I didn't have the funds to back Wasteland 2 the first time around but I did when Torment: Numenera came around. I pledged enough so that I'd get Wasteland 2 and a chance to see how my money burned.

Other way around for me. I was already in for Wasteland 2 and adding a backing for Torment Numenera was at a discount, so why not, right?

Why not indeed.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

This is why no one talks about Icewind Dale. It was a combat slog with barely any story that I can recall.

Also, I backed Numenera instead of Pillars of Eternity and I've been kicking myself for it ever since. At least Wasteland 2 was pretty rad.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

This is why no one talks about Icewind Dale. It was a combat slog with barely any story that I can recall.

I liked Icewind Dale :shobon: I always considered it better than the BG series because "story? who gives a poo poo? where them goblins at?" was my mindset. Knowing nothing about the tabletop version, I had this impression that combat was the important part and you should be doing it 100% of the time.

I don't know where I got that idea. It's also why I didn't have any patience for the Gold Box Series of games.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

Dragon's Crown?

Dragon's Crown is excellent but honestly other than Vanillaware games and maybe Castle Crashers the 2D Arcade Beat Em Up scene after the 00s is a drat wasteland :(

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
As I understand it, Dungeon Fighter Online is basically a multiplayer knockoff of a bootleg Shadows of Mystara knockoff game or something but I can't speak as to how it plays because the last time I looked the rootkit anti-cheating thing made me nope right out.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

As I understand it, Dungeon Fighter Online is basically a multiplayer knockoff of a bootleg Shadows of Mystara knockoff game or something but I can't speak as to how it plays because the last time I looked the rootkit anti-cheating thing made me nope right out.

It plays a lot like a beat em up. I wouldn't try it for the challenge atm though; they haven't introduced difficulty settings for story mode in the English release yet, so you're not going to see a real difficulty curve until you hit endgame (which is only like a week of play but still).

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Anyone have an online tabletop to recommend that's suitable for wargaming? I've been using R20 comfortable for roleplaying games, but I want to play flames and infinity with online buds and R20's really lovely about zooming out for that so it's real hard to see a proper board.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

spectralent posted:

Anyone have an online tabletop to recommend that's suitable for wargaming? I've been using R20 comfortable for roleplaying games, but I want to play flames and infinity with online buds and R20's really lovely about zooming out for that so it's real hard to see a proper board.

Try Vassal

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bedlamdan posted:

Try Vassal

Vassal is built for wargames and boardgames so yeah, try that.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Kwyndig posted:

Vassal is built for wargames and boardgames so yeah, try that.

Checked it but it looks like you need to download a mod per game?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

spectralent posted:

Yep. The better produced mods automate a lot of stuff though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

spectralent posted:

A mod in the sense that you need to download the digitized boardgame and its chits, for each different boardgame that you want to play, but yes.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Modiphius has been busy.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/robert-e-howards-conan-roleplaying-game

quote:

ROBERT E. HOWARD’S CONAN: ADVENTURES IN AN AGE UNDREAMED OF is a brand new roleplaying game based on the incredible character of Conan and of the Hyborian age.

We're running this Kickstarter to help fund one of the biggest line ups of major artists ever for a roleplaying game. Each book is a beautiful high quality hard cover book featuring a major commissioned cover art by one of the legendary names we have assembled along with truly authentic and evocative content by industry veterans and newcomers...

"Tread the jeweled thrones of the earth or die in towers of spider-haunted mystery. Crom cares not!"

...all under the watchful eye of world-renowned Conan experts and scholars including Jeffrey Shanks, Patrice Louinet and Mark Finn, working together to bring you the most authentic Conan roleplaying experience yet, focusing exclusively on Robert E. Howard’s original stories.

Featuring Modiphius’ 2d20 game system, also seen in the Mutant Chronicles, Infinity, and John Carter Warlord of Mars RPGs. Try it out!

The core rulebook for Robert E. Howard’s Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of is a 368 page full colour hardcover book containing everything you’ll need to adventure in the world of Robert E. Howard’s hero, Conan. It is based entirely on the canonical Conan stories, and uses the 2D20 system developed by Modiphius and used in Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition, Infinity, John Carter Warlord of Mars and other fine games. This tome presents character generation, the game’s rules, and a wealth of source material, including cultures, geography, religions, magic, gods, monsters, gamemastering advice, adventure seeds, and much more. This work has been developed by an all-star writing team, with close involvement by respected Robert E. Howard authorities, and is illustrated by world-renowned Conan artists.

All the supplements will also be in beautiful full colour hardback and describe the world in additional detail, presenting different styles of play from the phases of Conan’s saga... Thief, Barbarian, Mercenary, Pirate, the Unknown East, Brigand, Kingdoms of the South, Scout... and King. Other books will explore sorcery, monsters and demons, nameless cults, secret societies and fighting orders, distant lands, ancient ruins, and lost cities. The game line will be supported with a wide range of ready-to-play adventures and campaigns spanning the breadth of Conan’s world.

http://www.modiphius.com/conan-rpg-product-line.html

Free 50 page quickstarter manual: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/174829/Robert-E-Howards-CONAN-Roleplaying-Game-Quickstart

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Lightning Lord posted:

Anyone have any opinions on Hollow Earth Expedition? Thinking about buying it.

From page 2 but I played 5 or 6 sessions of it years ago and recall enjoying it. Setting is good and pulpy with the right amount of dinosaurs and Nazi punching. I don't remember much about how the Ubiquity dice system. Sadly my friend took our set when he moved out of state. I've been thinking about writing it for F&F.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The Conan game doesn't seem very exciting. Every talent the sample characters have is "You can reroll one of your dice in circumstance X, keeping the result."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Serf posted:

Yeah, I got through the first act of that before concluding it was too boring to go on. Obviously they were trying to make a game where you could customize a whole party, but that locked them out of giving them any story or pesonality, which was the big draw for Baldur's Gate. It also exemplified the 10-minute adventuring day, and even with that savescumming was the rule. Music was lovely, tho.

On a different note, I'm at MAGfest and I realize I mentioned it on the absentee thread but not here. Figured I'd see if there are any TG goons looking to meet up, since the TG scene here is a little more robust that I expected.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Icewind Dale is fun if and only if you can get multiplayer to work.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

i'll just leave this here as a thing that exists:
http://www.messagefromtheinternet.com/nordiclarp/

it has generated beauties like:

INSIDE:HEAD
AN AMERICAN IMPERIALIST ''PROGRESSIVE LARP'' DESIGNED TO STIMULATE TRIGGER WARNINGS
I'M SO TIRED OF YOUR COMMUNIST RHETORIC.

and

CATVILLE

A SHARED HALLUCINATION THEMATIZING FATHERS
AND THAT'S WHY WE GET THE POST-LARP DEPRESSION.

Or the unforgettable

OUTSIDE MACBETH

A CHEERFUL ONE-EVENING LARP OPTIMIZED FOR FRACKING
I HEAR THE MAGIC SYSTEM IS BASED DIRECTLY ON CROWLEY.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Saw Pathfinder's Arcane Anthology

Now I want a game that is a cross between Bookhounds of London and Reccetear the Item Shop Tale. Preferably with Conan as a Thief climbing up minarets with a grappling hook with a bag full of stolen/rescued tomes.

Conan the Librarian.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Magnusth posted:

i'll just leave this here as a thing that exists:
http://www.messagefromtheinternet.com/nordiclarp/

it has generated beauties like:

INSIDE:HEAD
AN AMERICAN IMPERIALIST ''PROGRESSIVE LARP'' DESIGNED TO STIMULATE TRIGGER WARNINGS
I'M SO TIRED OF YOUR COMMUNIST RHETORIC.

and

CATVILLE

A SHARED HALLUCINATION THEMATIZING FATHERS
AND THAT'S WHY WE GET THE POST-LARP DEPRESSION.

Or the unforgettable

OUTSIDE MACBETH

A CHEERFUL ONE-EVENING LARP OPTIMIZED FOR FRACKING
I HEAR THE MAGIC SYSTEM IS BASED DIRECTLY ON CROWLEY.

A VERY TRAGIC DINNER

A TEN-DAY INDRAMA EVENT BY JONAS TRIER-KNUDSEN ABOUT ETHICS IN GAMES JOURNALISM

THAT'S A BIT MUCH

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

NICE JOB

A TRANCE-STATE PORTRAYING THE MOST ENDEARING ASPECTS OF NERDS

WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

INCLUSION STRATEGIES
PUA-TECHNIQUES REVEALING US ALL TO BE SATAN
BIFROST IS A FRONT ORGANIZATION.

I'd play this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

• Locked thread