Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Synnr posted:

Is there a charop thread for pathfinder that I'm not seeing, like 4e has? I don't play pathfinder and didn't particularly like 3.x, but a friend is running a short one-shot thing for his girlfriend for her birthday and I literally don't even know where to start with basic stuff much less some weird epic tier thing.

Search for "[class] pathfinder guide" and you should be able to find plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Andrast posted:

There isn't but you can just ask people I this thread for character advice.

Oligopsony posted:

Search for "[class] pathfinder guide" and you should be able to find plenty.

It is supposed to be an epic tier predominately aquatic one shot. It is going to a largish group so I don't need to plug any holes so some kind of easy-ish blaster caster maybe, or super cleric? I'd just pick controllery warlock or megabow ranger in 4e probably, anything like that?

This is basically a perfect storm of "no pf experience and no aquatic games" and there is a ton of source material that I really don't want to try to read before friday.

Is there a character builder somewhere kind of like 4e has/had or am I just gonna be working with d20pfsrd?

e; Actually is muscle sorcerer or warlord a thing in pathfinder? Looking at my images folder I got some buff dragonborn that I wanna rock.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 17, 2016

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

You can't go wrong with vanilla Arcanist or a Divination school Wizard if you're going high levels. Pump Initiative and Intelligence, grab Ride the Waves for a level 4 spell to give you a swim speed and the ability to breathe water for hours per caster level, and then pick whatever other spells you feel like using. They're really simple to use and don't really need a ton of game knowledge to be effective. Just grab spells from d20pfsrd, go first in combat, and do whatever the hell you feel like.

As far as races go, Elves are really good.

For Traits, get Reactionary and whatever.
For feats get Improved Initiative and then whatever. Toughness, then Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus in whatever school of magic you plan on using most are good. Conjuration is probably the best imo.
Get a Greensting Scorpion familiar for more initiative and you. If you're an Arcanist, get a familiar with an Arcane Exploit and pick up a Greensting Scorpion.
If you're an Arcanist, get Dimensional Slide.

That's general advice without knowing what level you're going to and what resources ya got to work with.

didn't see your edit. Try a dragon disciple?

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 17, 2016

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
this blog is a pretty great resource for pathfinder char-op. It compiles the majority of the guides and handbooks written, sorted by class and often indicating what books they pull from.

It also has a variety of other useful links like a guide to traits that separates out all the ones that give you class skills and a guide to sorcerer bloodlines for eldritch heritage.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Synnr posted:

It is supposed to be an epic tier predominately aquatic one shot. It is going to a largish group so I don't need to plug any holes so some kind of easy-ish blaster caster maybe, or super cleric? I'd just pick controllery warlock or megabow ranger in 4e probably, anything like that?

This is basically a perfect storm of "no pf experience and no aquatic games" and there is a ton of source material that I really don't want to try to read before friday.

Is there a character builder somewhere kind of like 4e has/had or am I just gonna be working with d20pfsrd?

e; Actually is muscle sorcerer or warlord a thing in pathfinder? Looking at my images folder I got some buff dragonborn that I wanna rock.

I missed this post before replying, whoops...

For muscle sorcerer I'd suggest a couple things. First, this doesn't allow the dragonborn image, but there's a Witch archetype for orcs called I think the Scarred Witch Doctor? that bases its casting off of constitution and so is great for those concepts.

Also if your group is relatively accommodating I'd suggest trying one of the classes from Path of War by Dreamscarred Press. You say you didn't like 3.x much so you might not be familiar with the Tome of Battle but its an adaptation of that with enough of its own stuff to be unique. I'd say that most of them are roughly on par with a sorcerer for power level, maybe slightly below a well optimized one but the floor is higher.

As a side note from an optimization standpoint Merfolk are absolutely amazing for an aquatic campaign, maybe even a bit cheesy. They've got huge stat bonuses with their main drawback being horrible land move speed.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

LorrdErnie posted:

I missed this post before replying, whoops...

For muscle sorcerer I'd suggest a couple things. First, this doesn't allow the dragonborn image, but there's a Witch archetype for orcs called I think the Scarred Witch Doctor? that bases its casting off of constitution and so is great for those concepts.

Also if your group is relatively accommodating I'd suggest trying one of the classes from Path of War by Dreamscarred Press. You say you didn't like 3.x much so you might not be familiar with the Tome of Battle but its an adaptation of that with enough of its own stuff to be unique. I'd say that most of them are roughly on par with a sorcerer for power level, maybe slightly below a well optimized one but the floor is higher.

As a side note from an optimization standpoint Merfolk are absolutely amazing for an aquatic campaign, maybe even a bit cheesy. They've got huge stat bonuses with their main drawback being horrible land move speed.

Scarred Witch Doctor got nerfed. It's back to Int-based, but they get a +2 bonus to their effective Int for purposes of spells and Hex save DCs. :jerkbag:

If Dragonborn-ish Muscle Wizard is more what you want, you'll probably want to go Sorcerer with the Draconic bloodline and then Dragon Disciple. Then pick up Skill Focus (Survival), Eldritch Heritage (Orc) and Improved Eldritch Heritage (Orc) to get a +6 inherent bonus to Strength on top of the Dragon Disciple increases. If you can deal with the low Cha for a few levels, try going Orc for your core race. 14 starting Str +4 racial +6 inherent via Eldritch Heritage +4 Dragon Disciple +6 Belt of Giant Str could give you a 34 Strength, and more if you put your leveling points into it, though I wouldn't really recommend it.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Kvantum posted:

Scarred Witch Doctor got nerfed. It's back to Int-based, but they get a +2 bonus to their effective Int for purposes of spells and Hex save DCs. :jerkbag:

If Dragonborn-ish Muscle Wizard is more what you want, you'll probably want to go Sorcerer with the Draconic bloodline and then Dragon Disciple. Then pick up Skill Focus (Survival), Eldritch Heritage (Orc) and Improved Eldritch Heritage (Orc) to get a +6 inherent bonus to Strength on top of the Dragon Disciple increases. If you can deal with the low Cha for a few levels, try going Orc for your core race. 14 starting Str +4 racial +6 inherent via Eldritch Heritage +4 Dragon Disciple +6 Belt of Giant Str could give you a 34 Strength, and more if you put your leveling points into it, though I wouldn't really recommend it.

Oh well in that case my advice for that possibility is to ignore that change because it wasn't ever really OP just the sort of thing that people love complaining about.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Kvantum posted:

I only found this out after making a character to bring to a game. Really wanted to try a giant pool of hitpoints with spells.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Inverse Icarus posted:

I only found this out after making a character to bring to a game. Really wanted to try a giant pool of hitpoints with spells.

Since my DM is pretty accomodating I think I'm going to try an original one out if the Paladin I'm playing right now dies or something. Seems like a lot of fun.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I appreciate the responses guys, its all very new. My buddy responded to some texts I sent last night finally and I guess its just whatever paizo books I want, at level 20, 90-95% in the water and he gave me a budget for items. I was a little disappointed that scarred witch thing isn't about being buff and castery and thought I would just go with a merfolk arcanist and just zap a million dudes forever.

The character generators I found don't seem to have the book arcanists are in so it is a lot of clicking around d20pfsrd trying to figure out what goes where. Are there any items/feats/whatever that are real "gotta have it" things I should grab? Like in 4e you gotta have the resist all feats, and you want your resist items/armor/weapon or focus thing. Arch magi robes and a ring of spell storing? A fancy rod of some kind? Paper to make into magic items to eat for reservoir points?

Is there a particular reason divination or conjuration are given as spell schools to use for spell focus and all that?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Synnr posted:

I appreciate the responses guys, its all very new. My buddy responded to some texts I sent last night finally and I guess its just whatever paizo books I want, at level 20, 90-95% in the water and he gave me a budget for items. I was a little disappointed that scarred witch thing isn't about being buff and castery and thought I would just go with a merfolk arcanist and just zap a million dudes forever.

The character generators I found don't seem to have the book arcanists are in so it is a lot of clicking around d20pfsrd trying to figure out what goes where. Are there any items/feats/whatever that are real "gotta have it" things I should grab? Like in 4e you gotta have the resist all feats, and you want your resist items/armor/weapon or focus thing. Arch magi robes and a ring of spell storing? A fancy rod of some kind? Paper to make into magic items to eat for reservoir points?

Is there a particular reason divination or conjuration are given as spell schools to use for spell focus and all that?

Conjuration has a super wide range of spells from summons to area control to direct damage, and a big chunk of the damage spells don't allow for spell resistance.

Divination is good as a spell school for Wizards or School Savant Arcanists to specialize in, not for Spell Focus the feat. It gives a huge bonus to initiative and lets you always act in surprise rounds, so you basically always go first no matter what.

For a character generator you can you Yet Another Pathfinder Character Generator (YAPCG) for most of the Arcanist stuff, just gotta go to the Options tab and allow everything. It's an excel sheet. It's missing some things like the Lepidstadt Shifter Arcane Exploit which is kinda nifty but is overall pretty decent. I still do most of my character planning on d20pfsrd's various filters though.

I've never played real high levels so someone else could give advice on items n poo poo to buy for that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

There won't even be a semblance of balance at lvl20 so you probably don't need to worry too much.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Well conjuration sounds solid to me, and if items aren't particularly important I'll just go for "rad sounding and plausibly useful if they fit the theme." Some crazy wonderous items I'm looking at. Maybe the magus from the gargoyles cartoon, but with a scaley tail.

Banging through the stuff, I'm a little unclear what a favored class actually means/matters. Is it only a racial thing (which I guess I wouldn't get with a merperson arcanist) or can it be a flat bonus to hp (or was it skill points?) I saw mentioned somewhere still get dumped in? Do you seriously just go "yeah I'm gonna grow up to be a real wizard one day!" and get free points?

Little disappointed I can't have my pet scorpion clacking away and swinging a wand around though.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
You pick a favoured class at 1st level and whenever you gain a level in that class, you gain one free skill rank or hit point. Several races also have special favoured class bonuses depending on the class. The intent is to reward you for specializing rather than penalizing you for branching out, although multiclassing is poo poo enough in Pathfinder as it is.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I'm looking for a mini for a character but I'm not really interested in painting one. I'm looking for an overweight woman smoking a cigarette, doesn't need to have a weapon. I'm running a chainsmoking character with a heavy smoker's voice who plays bingo, has a weekly bridge game and curls her hair every morning, heavy Jewish grandma influence. Any ideas on where to look?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I think Reaper has a mini for that. I'm guessing you got this character from the Housewives of Golarion supplment?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Nope I had no idea that was a thing, I just thought it would be a funny character. I'll go check it out on reaper, appreciate it

\/\/ Owns and am seriously considering grabbing it. She's actually a Gunslinger so that's like, kinda perfect.

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 19, 2016

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

sugar free jazz posted:

I'm looking for a mini for a character but I'm not really interested in painting one. I'm looking for an overweight woman smoking a cigarette, doesn't need to have a weapon. I'm running a chainsmoking character with a heavy smoker's voice who plays bingo, has a weekly bridge game and curls her hair every morning, heavy Jewish grandma influence. Any ideas on where to look?

This maybe?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

sugar free jazz posted:

Nope I had no idea that was a thing, I just thought it would be a funny character. I'll go check it out on reaper, appreciate it

\/\/ Owns and am seriously considering grabbing it. She's actually a Gunslinger so that's like, kinda perfect.

Oh poo poo ok I thought you were joking and just made that poo poo up.

Although I would totally buy a Real Housewives of Golarion supplement.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I honestly thought that was a real thing. With all the weird Pathfinder poo poo out there it's really not unreasonable for that to exist.

I like to play silly character concepts such as Jewish Mother or Vaguely Irritating French Existentialist.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I play a gilman bard who spends most of the sessions cooking. I have a +30 bonus to Profession (Cook). I fly around in a cauldron and play songs to inspire courage in battle.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I play a gilman bard who spends most of the sessions cooking. I have a +30 bonus to Profession (Cook). I fly around in a cauldron and play songs to inspire courage in battle.

I played a Dread Necromancer that had been adapted to pathfinder once with Profession (Cook). He was an extremely fat aristocratic Catfolk who took the trait that increases your starting money and put everything he didn't immediately need for equipment into expensive rings and necklaces. He'd lounge around in the chair that he'd bought for himself and carried around a bunch of spices so he could make good food on the road. I'd also arranged with my DM to allow the Necropolitan template from 3.5 whenever we found the place for it in the game world so he was going to become properly undead. Sadly he got sniped off a horse by a bandit ranger and died before he could be undead. Because of that his Profession (Cook) never got anywhere near that level you oughta be able to do some Heroes Feast poo poo with that much.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

This should be Perform (Cooking) and you fly around dispensing food that gives buff to teammates.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Seasoning (Ex): Inspire Courage except enemies with bite attacks get a +2 on Grapple checks with their bite.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Another dumb Path of War question that I can't find consensus on:

Does the Warlord get to add his charisma modifier to his attack rolls during a gambit? The gambit feature says that "While performing a gambit, the warlord may add his Charisma modifier to the d20 check(s) to aid in accomplishing the gambit as a luck bonus."

Since the Warlord often has to make skill or CMB checks during gambits, I assume that doesn't include attack rolls, since attack rolls aren't conventionally referred to as checks. Moreover, if it did apply to attack rolls, I assume they would have said "including attack rolls" since that seems like a really important clarification. I've found discussion going both directions on other forums when people talk about the warlord, but none of them have been from errata/official sources.

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 21, 2016

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
It's ambiguous.
The glossary states that attacks are checks.
This thread has a long argument about the Circlet of Persuasion, an irritatingly ambiguous item that gives a bonus to "Charisma-based checks" (so... Concentration checks? Saves for Paladins? attacks made by some hypothetical character with an ability like Zen Archery applied to Cha?).
It references SKR's post here, which suggests that attacks and saving throws are in fact not "checks," and that when an item or feature provides a bonus to "checks" in some capacity, such as "Charisma-based checks" or "checks to aid in accomplishing the gambit" or whatever, this should not be understood to include attacks (or saves, for that matter).

SKR's response isn't an official FAQ or errata, and knowing them they would say it should be up the GM's judgment.
This is despite the fact that the only clear statement in the rules either way is that attacks are checks, and that everywhere else the rules are written implying they are not, consistently avoiding the word "check" in relation to attacks and consistently using it for skill and ability checks, and otherwise using language that is most easily and intuitively understood as if they weren't.

This goes back to SKR's response; he writes as if he has simply not read that bit of the glossary, and is pointing to the implication made by the books in not using the word check in relation to attacks and saves, without actually giving a concrete answer or acknowledging the glossary entry.
This is most onerous with saves, where the apparent "response" by SKR to "would this apply to a Paladin's saves" would be a ridiculously smug "hmm I wonder, would a bonus to 'Charisma-based checks' apply to saving throws? hmmmmmmm?" ignoring, again, the clear text in the glossary giving saving throws as an example of a check.

Why yes this is a rather sore subject.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Wow, that's dumb. Okay. I'll just refer to the glossary entry from now on whenever the question comes up. Thanks. Everything is checks.

Scrimsax
Nov 29, 2014
I'm redesigning stat blocks for Curse of the Crimson Throne right now, as I'm running it with the Consolidated Skill systems, the Automatic Bonus Progression and, you know, not 3.5, and I love the fact that I can pack three archetypes on an alchemist to make a character that literally has nothing in common with a normal Alchemist, and perfectly represents a corrupt doctor (not to give anything away.) But yeah, a level 9 Alchemist (Vivisectionist, Chirugen, Toxicant) should be a fun boss to watch the party try to figure out.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I think Archetypes are my favorite thing in Pathfinder. Yes, my Vivisectionist Trapfinder Alchemist is the party rogue only better, deal with it :colbert:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I have a silly question that I'm not sure of the answer to.

I'm currently designing a reward weapon for one of my players; he's a rogue with an interest in the arcane, so has been taking the rogue abilities that allow him to cast low-level spells, and he's able to use Shocking Grasp twice per day now.

So I figured, why not make him a dagger with the Conductive property: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/conductive

At the end of that entry it reads: "This weapon special ability [...] only works with magical abilities of the same type as the weapon (melee or ranged)."

What happens if he throws the dagger?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Common sense would suggest that whatever kind of touch attack the spell is works with however you use the dagger, so Shocking Grasp is a melee touch attack so you gotta use it in melee, some other thing I can't think of right now is ranged touch so you gotta throw the dagger.

This is Pathfinder though so common sense has nothing to do with anything.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Ranged touch would be like Snowball or any of the ray spells.

As far as the rules go it looks a little ambiguous about how it should work since it just calls out weapon type and not what kind of attack you use, you just need to make a GM decision. Shocking Grasp once per day through the weapon isn't going to break the game and it'll be cool and funny if it's a desperate situation and a Conductive Shocking Grasp thrown dagger saves the day. Let it fly and see what happens imo, especially since Major Magic takes two Rogue talents and they could have gotten much more powerful stuff.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Hopefully I'm not reposting this

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/paizo-pathfinder-bundle

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

This is just pdfs right?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Well the 25 dollar tier includes all the PDFs and a physical copy of the Beginner's Box if you're into that.

Actually, do PDFs count as "owning the book" by Pathfinder Society rules? If so this is a pretty cheap way to get into that kind of thing.

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

Gilok posted:

Actually, do PDFs count as "owning the book" by Pathfinder Society rules? If so this is a pretty cheap way to get into that kind of thing.

Yes they count, as long as they're watermarked, which these are. Though honestly I've only met like 2 GMs who give a poo poo if you own the books or not.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
They've also had 24 hour streams on twitch, like the first part of the day was from Pazio's place and it was interesting to watch them play their own game (although fair warning, it's someetimes hard to hear, they just stuck a mic at one end of the table). They'll eventually be archived.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Meepo posted:

Yes they count, as long as they're watermarked, which these are. Though honestly I've only met like 2 GMs who give a poo poo if you own the books or not.

I've met 0 who give enough of a poo poo to even wonder aloud

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This is meant non-judgementally and is asked out of genuine curiosity: what draws you to pathfinder for your games and why do you stay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Covok posted:

This is meant non-judgementally and is asked out of genuine curiosity: what draws you to pathfinder for your games and why do you stay?

The gaminess of it, which is also fundamentally why I play 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons. Finding all the little fiddly bits and how they connect together is fun and actively makes the game part of the game more fun. A lot of newer RPGs seem to be about removing the mechanics in favor of a collaborative story; which is good and all but ultimately I'm here for a more story involved war game not a more structured improv theatre.