Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Everyone is actually pretty happy with the method of filling the SCOTUS bench because it provides a fair balance of public determination and electoral insulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/KimberlyRobinsn/status/699764089115906048

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/699774220100902912

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Thug Lessons posted:

Yes, or not even really have candidates at all and have the board appoint judges directly. If it's not working out, the public can exercise control by passing a law that changes the appointment system. Such a system would only really work in an environment where people had confidence in jurists to make the right decision and believed in judicial independence.

This statement puts you in a bit of a catch 22 because it's not like you are the first person to imagine the concept of the elected judge. There's a reason they didn't go that way for the supreme court and we, The People, have chosen to keep it that way. You aren't being persuasive, you're just whinging.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kro-Bar posted:

Yes, please stop posting.

GreenNight posted:

Thanks, please don't type anymore.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
But guys the Supreme Court justices in Alabama are elected. Alabama! That state that other states look to as a beacon of hope and progress!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

evilweasel posted:

I don't know what you think "last time" was so it's hard to know which of the many reasons you might be wrong it is.

Remember that time Obama took office and the Republicans began their stonewalling? Every time since then.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

gohmak posted:

Remember that time Obama took office and the Republicans began their stonewalling? Every time since then.

Didn't they hold their "gently caress doing anything" meeting literally the day of the inauguration?

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Keep the lifetime appointments but put their life up to a public vote.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

And it's a Goddamn lie because he's deliberately ignoring Kennedy.
Notice that the statement says "nominated and confirmed in a presidential election year". Kennedy was nominated in November 1987. So the statement is technically accurate, from a certain point of view, which is all they need.

The Democrats could easily counter this stupid claim by saying that because Justice Kennedy was appointed on November 11, 1987, and the election was on November 8, 1988, that he was both nominated and confirmed within a year of the election.

Though, of course, the Republicans are purposefully being misleading, so that people think what they're doing is the normal way of things, when it is actually a radical departure from tradition and the plain intent and direct wording of the Constitution.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Once again you are making a moralist argument which doesn't mean anything to these blatant hypocrites. If Obama doesn't have a legal authority to force the senates hand it will not happen.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pillow Hat posted:

But guys the Supreme Court justices in Alabama are elected. Alabama! That state that other states look to as a beacon of hope and progress!

47 of 50 states elect some or all of their judges. You can blame people in the 1800s for that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gohmak posted:

Do you remember that time they shut the government down, then got their demands met before they reopened it? No?

Stonewalling a Supreme Court nominee is the sort of crisis that stays in the news and that average people won't support. The really effective Republican stonewalling has been stuff that people can't be bothered to care about (sub-SCOTUS nominees). Even their blockade of Lynch broke down, though that might have been more their loathing of Holder and the realization they were only going to get rid of him if they confirmed Lynch.

What republicans have done successfully is avoid paying a price for their stonewalling in elections, but a big key to that has been not loving around too close to an election. Which is, incidentally, why Republicans are trying so hard to tamp down demands from the Freedom Cacucus that they have another knock-down budget fight this year.

edit: This is also made clear by the GOP senators who are going "sure, let's block any Obama nominee, but for god's sake pretend we have a justification" and getting annoyed at McConnell's "no votes, period" plan.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 17, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah they are already backtracking a bit.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

euphronius posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I'm not doubting you, just curious about where you read/saw this.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pillow Hat posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I'm not doubting you, just curious about where you read/saw this.

Thom Tillis (Senator from North Carolina) publicly said that they should consider any nominee and do their job properly. He then went on to say "but of course, if Obama appoints someone who shares his radical political views then it'll be our job to block that person since that's out of step with the American people" so he's trying to create a justification where they block any nominee but still look like they're doing their job responsibly.

Of course, some might argue that since Obama was elected twice then The American People might actually share some of his "radical" political views and also that appointing people who think about the law and constitution the same way they do is one of the duties of a president, but hey, semantics.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
When was the last time a supreme court justice died within a year of an election and was not replaced before the next president had settled in? The last time a justice died more than ten months before an election and had their seat respectfully left warm for that period? McConnell et al seem to be leaving out the actual precedent in their argument about precedent, even if you ignore Kennedy being nominated within a year of the election.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Kajeesus posted:

When was the last time a supreme court justice died within a year of an election and was not replaced before the next president had settled in? The last time a justice died more than ten months before an election and had their seat respectfully left warm for that period? McConnell et al seem to be leaving out the actual precedent in their argument about precedent, even if you ignore Kennedy being nominated within a year of the election.

Despite all their bluster, establishment Republicans know they aren't winning the presidency this year, so can you imagine how hard they're going to backpedal if Bernie wins the nomination? They won't be able to get Obama to propose nominees fast enough.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

euphronius posted:

It's all optics. Zero chance someone gets confirmed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Al! posted:

Despite all their bluster, establishment Republicans know they aren't winning the presidency this year, so can you imagine how hard they're going to backpedal if Bernie wins the nomination? They won't be able to get Obama to propose nominees fast enough.

Yes because if there's one things Dems don't do, it's snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Al! posted:

Despite all their bluster, establishment Republicans know they aren't winning the presidency this year
The Democrats certainly have an advantage, but it's not at all a slam dunk. Many things could happen that give the Republicans the presidency this year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inferior Third Season posted:

The Democrats certainly have an advantage, but it's not at all a slam dunk. Many things could happen that give the Republicans the presidency this year.

Not with those candidates.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Not with those candidates.

Nah it's easy; one major terror attack or the economy collapses again and it's hello Donald.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

Nah it's easy; one major terror attack or the economy collapses again and it's hello Donald.

No amount of terrorism or bad economic conditions could get Trump elected.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I disagree but at the same time, I sincerely hope we never find out who's right.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

I disagree but at the same time, I sincerely hope we never find out who's right.

I don't think you understand how much Latinos despise him let alone most other people who aren't GOP primary voters...

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

mcmagic posted:

"Oh," God says, "A challenge!"

Alternatively: Never underestimate the capacity of the American collective population to be a complete reactionary dumbass.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If Full House can make a return, so can a Clinton.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

It's all optics. Zero chance someone gets confirmed.

Predictit is still giving odds of about 35%-40% Obama gets someone confirmed, which I don't quite get. I keep wondering what I'm missing, or if I should just start collecting the free money.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Predictit is still giving odds of about 35%-40% Obama gets someone confirmed, which I don't quite get. I keep wondering what I'm missing, or if I should just start collecting the free money.

I suppose it's theoretically possible that as they go longer and longer without confirming anyone, if polls show the electorate getting increasingly fed up with them and predict a big victory for the Democrats in November, and since this is an issue that by definition could not go away before election day unless they cave, they could eventually react to growing discontent by confirming someone. This relies on a few big assumptions like the electorate caring, that care manifesting in anger at Republican obstructionism, that anger being reflected in election polling, and Republicans caring at all about election polling rather than trying to unskew the polls, but I can see a theoretical path to someone being confirmed, I just don't think it's more likely than the alternative.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'll just leave this here for Thug Lessons.

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlo...in-text-message

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

People are political idiots. Collect free money.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dahlia Lithwick posted:

Here is one of the hardest things about losing Antonin Scalia: His views were often ugly and wrong, but the ways he expressed them were thought-provoking and stirring. He was the most three-dimensional justice with an often two-dimensional worldview. History will likely remember him as someone who was gloriously, powerfully on the wrong side of so many important questions. But history will surely remember him.
Dahlia Lithwick Dahlia Lithwick

Dahlia Lithwick writes about the courts and the law for Slate, and hosts the podcast Amicus.

As a liberal you are certainly free to hate Scalia, and sometimes it seemed he worked overtime to earn your hate. He gloried in it. He wrote cruel, demeaning things about whole groups of Americans—and even if you didn’t belong to one of those groups, Scalia was the fifth vote on what many of us consider towering historic injustices, from Bush v. Gore to Citizens United.

His arguments would sometimes creep right up to the line of cartoonish parody and then dance right over that line. He wrote things like this passage from his Lawrence v. Texas dissent, in which he argued that states had the right to make sodomy illegal: “Many Americans do not want persons who openly engage in homosexual conduct as partners in their business, as scoutmasters for their children, as teachers in their children's schools, or as boarders in their home. They view this as protecting themselves and their families from a lifestyle that they believe to be immoral and destructive.”

You want to shake him, right? But then, I can also recall what it was like to read a Scalia dissent back in law school, where amid all the turgid plodding and the footnotes and the case citations of his black-robed brethren, this arcing, sparking full nova exploded into your consciousness: “He is outrageous,” you would think, just as some part of your mind also hissed, “but I want to be on his team.”
Law school does terrible things to people.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Scalia was incredibly smart and powerfully competent and turned all of that ability to the task of being as evil as it is was physically possible for him to be

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I never wanted to be on his team, I wanted to ideologically destroy him. What the gently caress is wrong with lawyers?

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Nominee for Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, John Boehner.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Honestly, it does seem that relying on random deaths during the presidency of someone from the right team is a pretty crappy system. Most people here'd be pretty cheesed off if a liberal justice died during President Trump's eight year reich, is it impossible that there could be a better way of going about things?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tekz posted:

Honestly, it does seem that relying on random deaths during the presidency of someone from the right team is a pretty crappy system. Most people here'd be pretty cheesed off if a liberal justice died during President Trump's eight year reich, is it impossible that there could be a better way of going about things?

Your options are:

- Introduce a recall measure for Justices you don't like (this already exists and has been a political shitfest since it was introduced)

- Allow a significant but finite term for Justices (this preserves the idea of Justices being disconnected with the political climate of the time, but still can result in "random chance" loving up the system).

- Allow the public to directly elect Justices, for whatever term you want (this is not popular, for reasons you might guess)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tekz posted:

is it impossible that there could be a better way of going about things?

Better by what measures?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Halloween Jack posted:

Law school does terrible things to people.

Scalia's only good thing was that he didn't couch his bigotry in legal jargon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Zeroisanumber posted:

I never wanted to be on his team, I wanted to ideologically destroy him. What the gently caress is wrong with lawyers?

They want to win, doesn't matter how or why.

• Locked thread