Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

It would be pretty funny for the draft format to be totally solved and people already bored of drafting it via online simulators before the set actually came out.

Draft sims don't have the print runs in packs so this isn't really a thing aside from just getting familiar with the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zoness posted:

Draft sims don't have the print runs in packs so this isn't really a thing aside from just getting familiar with the cards.

That doesn't stop people from running them and thinking they've figured out the format even though print runs can result in you only ever getting one out of two cards that would otherwise play well together since they're always in the same pack

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

I understand why they went to a more consistent style guide based art style, the art in the old sets was all over the place. That meant you got some really cool unique stuff at the cost of some crap. Now the overall standard of the art is a lot higher but it all gets a bit samey

And Mark Tedin made art for Lorwyn, Alara, Zendikar, and Scars of Mirrodin blocks, so clearly that's not the problem here.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Four Score posted:

No it's not

Art is subjective but thanks for your worthless input.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Zoness posted:

I could be wrong but I can't imagine how that has more than a trivial impact on gaining a deep knowledge of a draft format and how it actually plays out.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I could be wrong but I can't imagine how that has more than a trivial impact on gaining a deep knowledge of a draft format and how it actually plays out.

rabidsquid posted:

That doesn't stop people from running them and thinking they've figured out the format even though print runs can result in you only ever getting one out of two cards that would otherwise play well together since they're always in the same pack

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Are there draft sims that actually let you draft with other people? The ones I've seen just use AI to pick cards, which always lends to me getting ridiculous picks.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah there's drafts.in, etc. I'm interested why someone who opens up a lot of mtgo packs doesn't just record what's in them, that way I think it would be possible to get a good approximation of the collation of the packs (i.e. the print runs).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

...and? Are you assuming that people will always take the other card? That's p dumb.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Chill la Chill posted:

...and? Are you assuming that people will always take the other card? That's p dumb.

Yeeees? If two power commons from the same color are in a pack together, especially if one of them is splashable, you're not going to wheel either one. This happened in M11 with Pacify and another pretty good flyer I don't remember, off the top of my head. It actually happens quite often.

Bonus posted:

Yeah there's drafts.in, etc. I'm interested why someone who opens up a lot of mtgo packs doesn't just record what's in them, that way I think it would be possible to get a good approximation of the collation of the packs (i.e. the print runs).

MODO doesn't use the same print run values.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleEastBeast posted:

It's probably less important now but back before they took good removal out of common it meant you could tell what removal you could expect to get passed to you based on what was taken out of a pack with a pretty easy to remember common run. It means you get a lot more good picks because you can tell what's open and what's not a lot earlier than you could otherwise.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 17, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

rabidsquid posted:

Yeeees? If two power commons from the same color are in a pack together, especially if one of them is splashable, you're not going to wheel either one. This happened in M11 with Pacify and another pretty good flyer I don't remember, off the top of my head. It actually happens quite often.
I didn't realize anyone actually cared enough about draft to even remember a pair of commons that were always in the same pack 5 years ago, but now I do.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Most of us just remember things without having to actually care. Perhaps you should talk to a neurologist.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hmmmm... *looks up excel sheet of cards removed from pack* Ah yes, I will refrain from going into blue.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I wish you would refrain from posting

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

The weirdest print run was Kodama's Reach and Search for Tomorrow right next to each other in modern masters 1

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Kiora is the most red character ever. I have no idea why she is UG. She just gets super mad and does impulsive poo poo that ruins everyone's plans constantly.

Also, the Uncharted Realms for today is one of the worst written ones they've ever done. Worse than Krienes going on and on about Nissa looking for Ashaya.

Summary: Chandra burns them all the end.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Kiora is the most red character ever. I have no idea why she is UG. She just gets super mad and does impulsive poo poo that ruins everyone's plans constantly.

it's almost like trying to write characters according to a rigid alignment system is dumb

i mean its even dumber that dude cant even write to that system so im not defending him to be clear

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It's also possible that relatively universal poo poo like "gets mad" or "has friends" shouldn't be a color thing at all

Insert joke about how magic nerds are the counterargument to the universality of having friends

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

Hmmmm... *looks up excel sheet of cards removed from pack* Ah yes, I will refrain from going into blue.

you're an idiot

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Print runs are not that important, they're one of the two most overrated things in draft, the other being downstream (sent) signals.
They're something you'll start to notice but they aren't reliable to really take decisions from.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 17, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

It's also possible that relatively universal poo poo like "gets mad" or "has friends" shouldn't be a color thing at all

Insert joke about how magic nerds are the counterargument to the universality of having friends

I'd say blue is the color that doesn't have friends, but then unified will was printed sooo..

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

sarmhan posted:

Print runs are not that important, they're one of the two most overrated things in draft, the other being downstream (sent) signals.

Nah dude, gotta know those sick draft skills and memorize it so you can win the sweet FNM promo.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah I had read your original post, I just (without any hard evidence mind you, so I'm happy to be shown to be wrong) couldn't bring myself to believe that certain groups of commons only ever appeared in packs with certain other commons and nowhere else. I find it hard to believe that Pacifism and some white flier were only ever in packs together -- as opposed to, say, often being in packs together, but also appearing in packs separately.

Then again I know fuckall about how print runs work and assumed they're somewhat more complex than one long strip of commons appearing once each and always in the same order, getting cut into 10-card groups. Not trying to argue with you, just talking out of my rear end mostly lol

edit: and with all that, I would think that familiarity with the cards and draftable archetypes would still factor much more significantly than synergies between a handful of common-pairs that play well together.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

JerryLee posted:

Which color affinity is getting stoned and listening to the xx

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Yeah I had read your original post, I just (without any hard evidence mind you, so I'm happy to be shown to be wrong) couldn't bring myself to believe that certain groups of commons only ever appeared in packs with certain other commons and nowhere else. I find it hard to believe that Pacifism and some white flier were only ever in packs together -- as opposed to, say, often being in packs together, but also appearing in packs separately.

Then again I know fuckall about how print runs work and assumed they're somewhat more complex than one long strip of commons appearing once each and always in the same order, getting cut into 10-card groups. Not trying to argue with you, just talking out of my rear end mostly lol

I think they supposedly changed it at one point but it was actually as stupid as cards always appearing in the same order on the sheet. That's also how people originally started box mapping I think

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

All we've ever seen of her character is that she is super impulsive and just does whatever she feels like all of the time. I dunno seems pretty red.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Also, it is around the time I really started playing Magic so take this with the necessary grain of salt, but for my money Tempest/Urza/Masques were the sweet spot where you didn't really have any art that was obviously technically incompetent, but it didn't all look samey either. DiTerlizzi is pretty much the acme of this for me; dude is obviously a great illustrator but his poo poo would never fly in post-Lorwyn magic because it looks like a whimsical storybook instead of the young adult justice league team turning the epicosity dial up to 11 (this is unfair if you read it as an indictment of every single modern artwork, granted, but I don't think you can deny that it's the force tugging Magic art in a particular direction).

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I thought the whole point of the new frames and making cards machine readable was to increase randomization, to prevent box mapping, print run memorization etc

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

sarmhan posted:

They're something you'll start to notice but they aren't reliable to really take decisions from.

Correct. The most valuable skill in draft is opening non-red planeswalkers.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

Which color affinity is getting stoned and listening to the xx

Getting stoned is in all colors; green magic is best at growing the weed itself but any color can use its own skills to score some of the dank

e: if you need to use sunlamps to run an indoor grow operation then you're getting into white

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Look up mtg box mapping on google. Cards use to come off printing in a very specific way and it wasn't as random as you might think. Its much better now but still not 100% random.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Older print runs were that simple yes. Modern common print runs are more complicated and aren't very deterministic. There's a reason you don't see the top limited players focus on them.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Sickening posted:

Look up mtg box mapping on google. Cards use to come off printing in a very specific way and it wasn't as random as you might think. Its much better now but still not 100% random.

Yeah I'm aware of box-mapping, but thought that only has to do with rares, not with the order of commons. Is it really the case that Red Common X always appears adjacent to Green Common Y anytime either appears in a booster pack of lovely WoTC Set Z? Because that seems retarded and I don't recall that being the case in any set I've drafted in the last several years.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Everblight posted:

Correct. The most valuable skill in draft is opening non-red planeswalkers.

Uh, the sarkhan that turned into a dragon and had haste was actually pretty good....for sealed.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I didn't know anybody cared about remembering anything ever

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Chill la Chill posted:

Uh, the sarkhan that turned into a dragon and had haste was actually pretty good....for sealed.

Hey I think I played it in a super early version of Jeskai black. !.. that one time... maybe

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chill la Chill posted:

Nah dude, gotta know those sick draft skills and memorize it so you can win the sweet FNM promo.

Is that how people get those? I just buy them. It's easier.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Realistically my point is more that draft simulators barely contribute more than a full spoiler does for "solving" a format although they can give you a reasonable impression on what boards can look like.

Most draft formats, good or bad, tend to develop as the drafting trends change anyways so it's kind of moot. I don't think the news on going mono-blue in m14 was out from anyone's initial draft simulations, for starters. MODO drafts are especially sensitive to articles written about particular archetypes such as when Zvi wrote an article on drafting UW levelers in RoE making that archetype autolose for the next 2-3 weeks.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, there was that BW warriors deck that got a lot of attention in Khans and then disappeared for a while because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I rare draft like a fiend. poo poo one time I cracked a foil full art island and just drafted that poo poo. Gimme my 12 bucks fuckers.

• Locked thread