Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Does anyone have a name for those Yugioh scandals or a place to read up on them? They sound fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

Wasn't that Upper Deck?

it was, they were also doing the same thing with WoW cards

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ramos posted:

Does anyone have a name for those Yugioh scandals or a place to read up on them? They sound fascinating.

upper deck printed more than they were supposed to, of ygo and wow tcg

they lost the license

the end

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Ramos posted:

http://www.iptrademarkattorney.com/2010/01/counterfeit-trademark-yu-gi-oh-upper-deck-konami-copyright-summary-judgment-court-ruling.html

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Fantastic, thanks.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The market has officially gone so far off the rails, it has destroyed the MTGStocks site.

Edit: Oop. It's back up.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 17, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
My guess is that the result of all this is that we end up just getting the card list so WOTC can get out in front of this. They wouldn't be addressing it if it was a fake list.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
All the good Legacy decks only need 2 City of Traitors right?

Right?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

My guess is that the result of all this is that we end up just getting the card list so WOTC can get out in front of this. They wouldn't be addressing it if it was a fake list.

They're going to beat around the Bush for weeks until they make that call, revealing the entire official list would cause spikes in all the cards that aren't in it, and it would completely ruin the hype of the set.

Not that they care about the secondary market.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Count Bleck posted:

They're going to beat around the Bush for weeks until they make that call, revealing the entire official list would cause spikes in all the cards that aren't in it, and it would completely ruin the hype of the set.

Agreed. Releasing the full spoiler would be the most fair response to what is basically mass cardboard insider trading, but having the most fair response to mass cardboard insider trading is very low on WotC's list of priorities. They've made a couple noncommittal "We're aware there's a situation" posts, now they'll beat about the cuckservative 2016 for a few months until they announce that the culprit is all judges whose surnames begin with vowels.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Count Bleck posted:

ruining set hype this far out would be p bad actually

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It would be pretty funny for the draft format to be totally solved and people already bored of drafting it via online simulators before the set actually came out.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Just won a legacy 8-man with legends miracles after the daily didn't fire. Probably the last one ever, given they're taking them down tomorrow.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

born on a buy you posted:

direct acknowledgement

I mean this is kind of bullshit since they ship out godbooks (like what spoiled New Phyrexia) months in advance of spoiler season, unless they stopped doing that. While I don't think they are explicitly colluding with vendors, they totally could have had a discussion about the reserve list, it not changing, but them having plans to focus on legacy and that would be more than enough of a heads up, especially since they've had secret meetings with vendors before about the reserve list, Ben Bleweiss talked a lot about it and that's where the "SCG doesn't support the reserve list" poo poo comes from.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

There is a large difference between "Hey, we are looking for opinions on the reserve list from retailers since you will be affected by that" and "sell your stock, we're abolishing the reserve list."

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Tom vs Efro on VSL has reached peak absurdity. They're both under Standstill and Crucible-Waste locked. My favorite part is that their plays are slightly changing every turn, but the board state itself isn't altering in any relevant way. We are at turn 37 with no spells having been cast for about 33 of those. And then it finally gets broken.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sigma-X posted:

I mean this is kind of bullshit since they ship out godbooks (like what spoiled New Phyrexia) months in advance of spoiler season, unless they stopped doing that.

Aren't those for the printers? There's a difference between whoever's printing the cards knowing what the cards are before release, and a store knowing which items of their stock are going to see an increase in supply.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Aren't those for the printers? There's a difference between whoever's printing the cards knowing what the cards are before release, and a store knowing which items of their stock are going to see an increase in supply.

They sent out godbooks for magazines to do set reviews because of the additional time needed for printing, they don't do that after the NPH leak though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Myriad Truths posted:

Tom vs Efro on VSL has reached peak absurdity. They're both under Standstill and Crucible-Waste locked. My favorite part is that their plays are slightly changing every turn, but the board state itself isn't altering in any relevant way. We are at turn 37 with no spells having been cast for about 33 of those. And then it finally gets broken.

It's pretty clear that Martell has never engaged in the purest form of Magic, aka the Crucible mirror.

He's also apparently never played Shops against a Landstill deck. Hint: you're not out-Landstilling a Landstill deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Man, I have a lot of nostalgia for playing Vintage back when it first became a real thing on MTGO even though that was only 2 years ago. I only wish they just had them in the original frames and art for the old cards. It doesn't really feel like "Black Lotus" with random skeleton-man on it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 17, 2016

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Wasn't there a mod that changed all the Power Nine back to the original art that Wizards threw a fit about and shut down? Boo to that.

EDIT: Ah yeah. Boo to this.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 17, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
One day I'll know what it's like to be so attached to illustrations from an era of Magic that I never played in that I have convulsions over new art.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
"I wish they had the old art available."
"It kinda was available for a bit but Wizards said not to use it, which is a bummer."
"Holy poo poo, somebody call 911, these two have gone into convulsions!"

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hopping Ghost posted:

Wasn't there a mod that changed all the Power Nine back to the original art that Wizards threw a fit about and shut down? Boo to that.

I have it installed. It still uses the stupid new frame though so it almost looks worse. Almost.

Hopping Ghost posted:

"I wish they had the old art available."
"It kinda was available for a bit but Wizards said not to use it, which is a bummer."
"Holy poo poo, somebody call 911, these two have gone into convulsions!"

This. Also I'm attached to the old art because I did play with it. And it's just better.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Most old Magic art would have been in the dregs of DeviantArt if it had existed in 1993. A lot of it was pretty mediocre in 1993.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I labor under no delusion that turning the clock back towards classic magic art would be in any way the right decision, aesthetically or fiscally, but that doesn't stop me from wanting Foglios and Maddockses all day err day.

edit: Actually I'd prefer Guays and MacDougalls over the really old stuff if given a choice but at this point Return to Lorwyn is probably only slightly more likely than Anson Maddocks doing cards again.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 17, 2016

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

This. Also I'm attached to the old art because I did play with it. And it's just better.

No it's not

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Star Man posted:

Most old Magic art would have been in the dregs of DeviantArt if it had existed in 1993. A lot of it was pretty mediocre in 1993.

There's quite a bit of good art from the earliest periods of Magic. Quinton Hoover, Drew Tucker, Mark Tedin, Rob Alexander, Anson Maddocks, Andi Rusu, the Foglios, etc etc

A lot of people dislike his work but I've always liked Pete Venters, he's a pretty dynamic artist with a strong sense of humor and the weird.

Hopping Ghost posted:

edit: Actually I'd prefer Guays and MacDougalls over the really old stuff if given a choice but at this point Return to Lorwyn is probably only slightly more likely than Anson Maddocks doing cards again.

Yes.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Four Score posted:

No it's not

quote:

M: Oh look, this isn't an argument.
A: Yes it is.
M: No it isn't. It's just contradiction.
A: No it isn't.
M: It is!
A: It is not.
M: Look, you just contradicted me.
A: I did not.
M: Oh you did!!
A: No, no, no.
M: You did just then.
A: Nonsense!
M: Oh, this is futile!
M: I came here for a good argument.
A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
A: It can be.
M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
A: Yes it is!
M: No it isn't!

A: Yes it is!
M: Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.
(short pause)
M: It is.
A: Not at all.
M: Now look.
A: (Rings bell) Good Morning.
M: What?
A: That's it. Good morning.
M: I was just getting interested.
A: Sorry, the five minutes is up.
M: That was never five minutes!
A: I'm afraid it was.
M: It wasn't.
Pause
A: I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue anymore.
M: What?!
A: If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.
M: Yes, but that was never five minutes, just now. Oh come on!
A: (Hums)
M: Look, this is ridiculous.
A: I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid!
M: Oh, all right.
(pays money)
A: Thank you.
short pause
M: Well?
A: Well what?
M: That wasn't really five minutes, just now.
A: I told you, I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid.
M: I just paid!
A: No you didn't.
M: I DID!
A: No you didn't.
M: Look, I don't want to argue about that.
A: Well, you didn't pay.
M: Aha. If I didn't pay, why are you arguing? I Got you!
A: No you haven't.
M: Yes I have. If you're arguing, I must have paid.
A: Not necessarily. I could be arguing in my spare time.
M: Oh I've had enough of this.
A: No you haven't.
M: Oh Shut up.

Saved us all some time.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hopping Ghost posted:

I labor under no delusion that turning the clock back towards classic magic art would be in any way the right decision, aesthetically or fiscally, but that doesn't stop me from wanting Foglios and Maddockses all day err day.

I mean, several of the original group of illustrators survived Magic's beginning and still do work for the game or have made their careers on it. Mark Tedin's still working on the game. Mark Poole eventually got better. Douglas Shuler...sucks less. Dan Frazier is a gallery artist that just shows up to Magic events in Denver or wherever else and makes a killing redrawing the Moxen on playmats for the billionth time. And so on.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Star Man posted:

I mean, several of the original group of illustrators survived Magic's beginning and still do work for the game or have made their careers on it. Mark Tedin's still working on the game. Mark Poole eventually got better. Douglas Shuler...sucks less. Dan Frazier is a gallery artist that just shows up to Magic events in Denver or wherever else and makes a killing redrawing the Moxen on playmats for the billionth time. And so on.

Mark Tedin hasnt done new magic art since NPH, he says they just don't call anymore :(

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Cactrot posted:

Mark Tedin hasnt done new magic art since NPH, he says they just don't call anymore :(

This makes me sad, because I liked how they basically kept him on doing the same sort of creepy weird angular monster stuff he'd been doing more or less from day one. It's really cool to see, say, Emrakul, compared to Nevinyrral's Disk or Thought Lash or Leviathan or whatever and how his evolving technique kept some of his "classic Magic" style alive into newer sets. BFZ block really coulda used a Tedin Eldrazi or two. Maybe next time we see the Emrakul lineage!

I don't mean to be overly reactionary and insist that Magic cards keep looking exactly the way I remembered as a kid, but at least for me there is something nostalgic and special in that early roughness that I still appreciate today. I think it's more than reasonable for someone to want to be able to recreate/hang on to that on MODO, especially when it should be possible to do so without affecting Wizards or other players in any way.

There has been some really cool new art/artists! I like Seb McKinnon a lot. Some of his cards look like they're from an alternate universe where Mirage just came out (Rite of the Serpent), some could fit in Lorwyn/Shadowmoor (Attended Knight, Topplegeist), all of them have this otherworldly, painterly look while still fitting in with the brand in 2016.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Melissa Benson and Mark Tedin were the face of Magic for a long time. I understand moving past Benson, but cutting out Tedin is, in the language of my people, A Dick Move.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Maybe Tedin could've made Nissa's Magic Swirls Around Ferns Version 2 more unique than giving her a staff.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Tedin was always at his best drawing weird artifacts, you would have thought he'd be perfect for Hedrony stuff.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I like how the older cards look like a page from a wizard encyclopedia rather than a photo of something happening.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Entropic posted:

Tedin was always at his best drawing weird artifacts, you would have thought he'd be perfect for Hedrony stuff.

Also anything with a carapace, tentacles or sinewy.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I understand why they went to a more consistent style guide based art style, the art in the old sets was all over the place. That meant you got some really cool unique stuff at the cost of some crap. Now the overall standard of the art is a lot higher but it all gets a bit samey.

Toshimo posted:

Melissa Benson and Mark Tedin were the face of Magic for a long time. I understand moving past Benson, but cutting out Tedin is, in the language of my people, A Dick Move.

Cards like Shivan Dragon and Serra Angel were pretty drat iconic, but they definitely do look dated now if you look at them without your nostalgia goggles on.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Entropic posted:

I understand why they went to a more consistent style guide based art style, the art in the old sets was all over the place. That meant you got some really cool unique stuff at the cost of some crap. Now the overall standard of the art is a lot higher but it all gets a bit samey.

And the consequence of this is Magic Origins level art direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Entropic posted:

Cards like Shivan Dragon and Serra Angel were pretty drat iconic, but they definitely do look dated now if you look at them without your nostalgia goggles on.

Dated is a good word for it, but compare the original Shivan Dragon to the most recent one, the old one is still better.

• Locked thread