Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I was pretty keen on it at first, but lost interest as soon as I saw old-school WoW as a primary influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Asimo posted:

Of course then the beta hit and people actually got to see the game in play and whelp. :v: I still maintain that it probably would have been an FFXIV-level success if it was actually aimed towards a casual audience, but the sheer number of unfun groggy game design decisions basically doomed it out the gate.

Bingo.

Edit: Also just flat out poor performance from the devs when fixing bugs. It wasn't unusual for them to declair a long standing bug finally fixed only to log in and find it was 3-4 times worse.

All around there was (And remains) some seriously poor quality control.

My personal favorite about 2(ish) months ago was when they "Updated" boss pathing for dungeon raid bosses. "Great!" we all thought, because as a tank positioning bosses was a bit wonky. Better pathing would go a long way to fixing that.

Queue our usual GA run, we're knocking down Genetic Monstrosity and he "Upgraded paths" through a wall, despawns and resets the fight 3 times.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 17, 2016

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Asimo posted:

For a while before release it looked like it had some potential promise. It had a more active/action combat system, it was space opera sci fi instead of fantasy, it had a memorable and distinct art style, it promised housing and other stuff MMOs usually lacked, and so on. There wasn't that much reason to be pessimistic about it beyond the fact it was an MMO and MMOs always suck.

Of course then the beta hit and people actually got to see the game in play and whelp. :v: I still maintain that it probably would have been an FFXIV-level success if it was actually aimed towards a casual audience, but the sheer number of unfun groggy game design decisions basically doomed it out the gate.

Yeah, I was pretty interested in the game... good art style, cool setting, the combat looked neat.

Then they said "gently caress YEAH 40 MAN RAIDS WITH ATTUNEMENTS" and I tried the Beta and saw the dreadful bog-standard bear-rear end questing and I couldn't abandon ship fast enough.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

randombattle posted:

Was there really hype for Wildstar? It was pushed heavily with ad campaigns but I don't remember people actually being excited for it.

yes I got authentic forum stalkers for making GBS threads on the endless flaws of wildstar

Minsky
May 23, 2001

There was a quest in Secret World where you had to listen to a recording of morse code and decode it to find the next waypoint. That goes a bit beyond collecting bear asses. My favorite not-WOW MMO.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

FrostyPox posted:

Yeah, I was pretty interested in the game... good art style, cool setting, the combat looked neat.

Then they said "gently caress YEAH 40 MAN RAIDS WITH ATTUNEMENTS"

Literally what happened to me. I was pretty sold on Wildstar because it was coming out at the time that WoW was in a pre-expansion lull, then they tweeted out that infographic about the attunements to even start raiding.

I've never skipped buying a game because of a tweet before but Wildstar did it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

Bingo.

Edit: Also just flat out poor performance from the devs when fixing bugs. It wasn't unusual for them to declair a long standing bug finally fixed only to log in and find it was 3-4 times worse.

All around there was (And remains) some seriously poor quality control.

There was a thread on neogaf that someone linked awhile back where some ex-Carbine employeess posted some of why this was the case. The structure of the development team was ridiculously inefficient.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

There was a thread on neogaf that someone linked awhile back where some ex-Carbine employeess posted some of why this was the case. The structure of the development team was ridiculously inefficient.

It's pretty obvious something weird was going on. A lot of changes that should have been implemented fairly quickly (ditching the mega attunement) took forever to get done right.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Literally what happened to me. I was pretty sold on Wildstar because it was coming out at the time that WoW was in a pre-expansion lull, then they tweeted out that infographic about the attunements to even start raiding.

I've never skipped buying a game because of a tweet before but Wildstar did it.

It's part of what made this game's failure so funny. They had the perfect window of opportunity to launch and completely bungled it with dated design and show-stopping bugs.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, from what they've said they knew it was a train wreck years before it launched, but for whatever reason it had too much momentum for them to actually change anything before it was too late. They just had the worst development process imaginable, so the project they started back in the early WoW era came out years later with minimal modernization.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well there was a lot more to it than that honestly, there were a load of bad decisions that never should have been made in the first place even with a game patterned off vanilla WoW. I mean there's everything about the AMPs or whatever the talent equivalents were called, at least around launch, where critical character-defining traits were only found as rare world drops. :psyduck:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Asimo posted:

Well there was a lot more to it than that honestly, there were a load of bad decisions that never should have been made in the first place even with a game patterned off vanilla WoW. I mean there's everything about the AMPs or whatever the talent equivalents were called, at least around launch, where critical character-defining traits were only found as rare world drops. :psyduck:

And they weren't available to test at all until the last phase of beta.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Attunement should just be a quest that gives some explanation about the theme of the raid.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
eh it's not so bad now, you just do the 4 original dungeons.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wildstar dumped a ton of items into the $1 tier of the latest Humble Bundle offer.

quote:

Bag of Big Beginnings (16-slot bag)
Housewarming Gift Pack (Housing Decor)
Flask of Advancement (XP Potion) 1x 3hr
Shardspire Canyon Fabkit (Jump Puzzle Challenge)
Blue Steel Hoverboard with Flair (Mount)
Housing Teleport (Immediate Access to Housing)
New Homesteaders Allowance (5 gold)

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I think the saddest thing about Wildstar is there were a number of parts of the game that were actually kind of cool, and a lot of the dumb poo poo could have been sorted out after release with some commitment to shifting the scope of the game a bit and proper communication with the playerbase. I mean hell, even a little bit after release I was still sort of on board with the game thinking "well if they handle this smartly they can address some of these problems pretty easily and recover".

Then they took a machine gun to their foot and continually made the dumbest loving decisions imaginable and gave stupid patronizing responses to their playerbase almost every step of the way. Pretty soon even I was like "ok gently caress this, that was the exact opposite of what you're supposed to do". Like I'm pretty tolerant of silly MMO bullshit if I can still find some ways to have fun with the game, so if you're even losing me then it's REALLY bad. I mean they actually doubled down on the bullshit and acted like people wanted changes because they weren't ~hardcore~ enough. CANT GET GOOD? DO U NEED A TRAINING DUNGEON, CUPCAKE? Wow, imagine that, when you cater to 1% of MMO players... that's not enough to actually run a profitable MMO!

I mean they seem to have finally gotten a bit of sense and fixed the game up but at this point it is FAR too little too late.

Also thanks for (probably) delaying BnS's western release with your lovely game, assholes.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
edit: wrong thread

Loose Ifer fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 19, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Listening to feedback is for cupcakes, cupcake.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I tried it for the first time since beta (hated it because despite the action combat it did not have mouselook and it ran like dogshit on AMD GPU).

Both of those have since been fixed, which is nice, but now instead every time after 20-40 minutes the game crashes with Windows 'memory cannot be read' error in both DX9 and DX11, 32 and 64bit clients. :v:

Pity, it could have been fun.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

randombattle posted:

Was there really hype for Wildstar? It was pushed heavily with ad campaigns but I don't remember people actually being excited for it.

I had absolutely no intention of playing the game and what little I heard wasn't good, but I liked the TF2 style "Meet the X" videos they made.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I had absolutely no intention of playing the game and what little I heard wasn't good, but I liked the TF2 style "Meet the X" videos they made.

so is this game cool or what...

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

iminers posted:

so is this game cool or what...

Honestly, apart from the crashing, it's been pretty good so far. The stylized graphics, while a bit too similar to WoW, ensure it has a certain charm, the character control/responsivity/preciseness is spot on (even GW2 could learn a thing or two here), the questing is standard MMO stuff.

It's so sad they were dumb enough to go with the HARDCORE 40MAN RAIDS mentality as they could have had a hit on their hands otherwise.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
PTR news is coming out about the latest drop that people don't like the spawn times in the new zone since a lot of spawns have to do with how the map operates.

No news about redmoon since that's what all the guilds want right now.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

noELrunes posted:

PTR news is coming out about the latest drop that people don't like the spawn times in the new zone since a lot of spawns have to do with how the map operates.

No news about redmoon since that's what all the guilds want right now.

That's impressive since the PTR hasn't gone live yet to my knowledge.

I know that we're going to be looking very closely at the reaction to how Arcterra's set up and that's going to influence how we set things up in the future. It's a bit of a departure.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Why a second snow zone? Did anyone like Whitevale

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Rorus Raz posted:

Why a second snow zone? Did anyone like Whitevale

Third. And probably because white isn't hard to pull off compared to say: Actual art assets.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

Third. And probably because white isn't hard to pull off compared to say: Actual art assets.

Actually they did a metric ton of new art assets for the zone, specific ice shaders, etc. As for why specifically another snow zone, I couldn't tell ya, to be honest.

Uh, this one has Osun in it?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Cyster posted:

Actually they did a metric ton of new art assets for the zone, specific ice shaders, etc. As for why specifically another snow zone, I couldn't tell ya, to be honest.

Uh, this one has Osun in it?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cyster posted:

It's a bit of a departure.
How so?

(This question is unironic and sincere.)

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Asimo posted:

How so?

(This question is unironic and sincere.)

Arcterra holds a lot more in the way of dynamic events, including a snowballing event that works up to 20-man bosses and unlocks a space the winning faction can access for some extra content and loot. There are daily quests and the like also, but it focuses less on that in comparison.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Am I supposed to add/reroll rune slots as a fresh 50? Cause it's ridiculously expensive...

edit: also not a fan of hiding basic stuff like ability points/talents behind reputations and stuff. Bad enough to do on one character, can't imagine I'd have the patience to do it on an alt...

Mr. Neutron fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 25, 2016

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Cyster posted:

including a snowballing event that works up to 20-man bosses and unlocks a space the winning faction can access for some extra content and loot.

it's like watching a man rapidly age right in front of your eyes

I remember when blizzard did this and named it wintergrasp and everyone deemed it poo poo. big content coming @ you from the company that tried to revive attunements

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Minrad posted:

I remember when blizzard did this and named it wintergrasp and everyone deemed it poo poo. big content coming @ you from the company that tried to revive attunements

I actually enjoyed Wintergrasp a fair bit. Being a feral druid and blowing out of stealth to bear-tackle stragglers probably had something to do with that, however.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

cathead posted:

I think the saddest thing about Wildstar is there were a number of parts of the game that were actually kind of cool, and a lot of the dumb poo poo could have been sorted out after release with some commitment to shifting the scope of the game a bit and proper communication with the playerbase. I mean hell, even a little bit after release I was still sort of on board with the game thinking "well if they handle this smartly they can address some of these problems pretty easily and recover".

Then they took a machine gun to their foot and continually made the dumbest loving decisions imaginable and gave stupid patronizing responses to their playerbase almost every step of the way. Pretty soon even I was like "ok gently caress this, that was the exact opposite of what you're supposed to do". Like I'm pretty tolerant of silly MMO bullshit if I can still find some ways to have fun with the game, so if you're even losing me then it's REALLY bad. I mean they actually doubled down on the bullshit and acted like people wanted changes because they weren't ~hardcore~ enough. CANT GET GOOD? DO U NEED A TRAINING DUNGEON, CUPCAKE? Wow, imagine that, when you cater to 1% of MMO players... that's not enough to actually run a profitable MMO!

I mean they seem to have finally gotten a bit of sense and fixed the game up but at this point it is FAR too little too late.

Also thanks for (probably) delaying BnS's western release with your lovely game, assholes.

It's like the WoW people who enjoy reminiscing the good ol' times of the lightning-in-the-bottle social experience in vanilla while conveniently leaving out at least the 10x the amount of toxic social interaction, time wasting and other sheer unfun that came with it.

temple posted:

The biggest problem with raiding and I can't believe WoW still doesn't realize this is that you can't PUG them. Why can't you pug them? You need the right classes, the right number of players, the right gear levels, the right experience with the content, the right start time, and the right time commitment. Raiding is just barely a game. Its more of a job by all definitions. You compare raiding to just about any other game and it is easy to understand why raiding attracts a certain hardcore element because its too drat demanding. And that's just to start the raid.

But lets say all the roadblocks to raiding are overcome, raiding is not fun. It never was. There is no fun in raids in of themselves. I like just about any game I play and raiding is the only game mode I refuse to do. There is no joy. If you took the gear out of raids, no one would want to do them "just because". I can convince my friends to play just about anything outside of like RTSs or MOBAs and we can have fun. If you can manage to get your friends together to raid (and all those previous requirements are met), why not play a game that is actually fun?

Going back the softball analogy, anyone can show up and play softball with friends. The only limit is getting there on time and that games are limited to a season. You don't have to buy the exact same shoe as everyone. You don't have be the perfect height or have a pre-req batting average or whatever. If you strike-out, no one is going to leave the field or kick you off the team. LOL if you think raiding will ever be that fun in this generation of gaming.

Agree so much. Putting loot treadmills to make people do stuff is the designers admitting that they can't think of ideas that are inherently fun to do in a MMO. It's a lazy, uninspired and boring bottom of the barrel excuse of gameplay and completely turns me off.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 27, 2016

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mr. Neutron posted:

Am I supposed to add/reroll rune slots as a fresh 50? Cause it's ridiculously expensive...

edit: also not a fan of hiding basic stuff like ability points/talents behind reputations and stuff. Bad enough to do on one character, can't imagine I'd have the patience to do it on an alt...

This is pretty much why I've walked away. Runing is super unfriendly unless you throw money at it/or are a master at cranking out money. And the other poo poo is so alt unfriendly that I've just stopped working on it and said "You know what? gently caress it."

Minrad posted:

It's not even wintergrasp. If it's anything like previous events, the two sides compete in pve bullshit to unlock the teleporter/bosses. It was garbage.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Timetravel no longer works at Carbine. The healing can begin.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

The Chairman posted:

Crawling in my skin

These wounds they will not heal

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

The Chairman posted:

Winner

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Palladium posted:

10x the amount of toxic social interaction, time wasting and other sheer unfun that came with it.

Remember the jungle zone for noobs which was PVP enabled that also had tons of reasons for higher players to be there? Getting ganked a million times was character building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Did they ever add the gun-draw/holstering sound effects to aurin spellslingers?

That missing sound bug was kind of funny at first because it went from "We're half a year out of beta and no one has just stolen a functional bit of code from any other spellslinger race and find-replaced it to make a functional bit of aurin code and fix this trivial poo poo" to "wow if they fix this trivial poo poo now while the game is a trainwreck, it'll look really silly."

I still sometimes miss the housing stuff. Some really creative people in there.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 6, 2016

• Locked thread