Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I can quit raiding any time I want! It's totally casual stuff you know? Easy.

What? I don't mean quit right now, I have a raid to go to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

ahh the old "everyone raiding hates their lives and cant stop when they want" .
So wrong

You guys must have raided in some lovely raid groups. 3 hours a week doing normals/heroics is about as casual and who gives a gently caress you can get. Just like playing softball with your work every Thursday. I'm not talking about the 20 hour a week try hard. But keep on thinking I am.

I did a raid once. It was karazan in burning crusade. The whole time i was thinking "this is what people do all the time? :cripes:" then i quit wow the next day.

That's my raiding story thank you for reading.

Hardcore

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Asimo posted:

I can quit raiding any time I want! It's totally casual stuff you know? Easy.

What? I don't mean quit right now, I have a raid to go to.

There's a switch in my brain that instantly goes "this game sucks" as soon as something seems like an obligation, even if i had been happily doing it for hours before. Enjoying a game is all about fooling that switch.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Berious posted:

I did a raid once. It was karazan in burning crusade. The whole time i was thinking "this is what people do all the time? :cripes:" then i quit wow the next day.

Hardcore

same but any single player game ever

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The biggest problem with raiding and I can't believe WoW still doesn't realize this is that you can't PUG them. Why can't you pug them? You need the right classes, the right number of players, the right gear levels, the right experience with the content, the right start time, and the right time commitment. Raiding is just barely a game. Its more of a job by all definitions. You compare raiding to just about any other game and it is easy to understand why raiding attracts a certain hardcore element because its too drat demanding. And that's just to start the raid.

But lets say all the roadblocks to raiding are overcome, raiding is not fun. It never was. There is no fun in raids in of themselves. I like just about any game I play and raiding is the only game mode I refuse to do. There is no joy. If you took the gear out of raids, no one would want to do them "just because". I can convince my friends to play just about anything outside of like RTSs or MOBAs and we can have fun. If you can manage to get your friends together to raid (and all those previous requirements are met), why not play a game that is actually fun?

Going back the softball analogy, anyone can show up and play softball with friends. The only limit is getting there on time and that games are limited to a season. You don't have to buy the exact same shoe as everyone. You don't have be the perfect height or have a pre-req batting average or whatever. If you strike-out, no one is going to leave the field or kick you off the team. LOL if you think raiding will ever be that fun in this generation of gaming.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

temple posted:

The biggest problem with raiding and I can't believe WoW still doesn't realize this is that you can't PUG them. Why can't you pug them? You need the right classes, the right number of players, the right gear levels, the right experience with the content, the right start time, and the right time commitment. Raiding is just barely a game. Its more of a job by all definitions. You compare raiding to just about any other game and it is easy to understand why raiding attracts a certain hardcore element because its too drat demanding. And that's just to start the raid.

I haven't played WoW since TBC but doesn't the LFR difficulty level solve exactly this problem?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

The Moon Monster posted:

I haven't played WoW since TBC but doesn't the LFR difficulty level solve exactly this problem?

Kinda, yeah. It's incredibly casual and it's nearly impossible to wipe in LFR, barring extreme stupidity or some bosses that are just so mechanics oriented that wailing on them for ten minutes straight and healing non-stop won't drop 'em. I don't really think it even compares to raiding at that point.

Used to be you wanted to do LFR to get set pieces for the bonuses or the trinkets so you could do harder raiding, but most of the LFR gear is boring and doesn't have a lot going for it; someone in here said the good trinkets are on normal mode and higher. It's better than the poo poo you can get from dungeons and quests, but that's not saying much. LFR's basically just one big dungeon where you SHOULD be avoiding the fire but it's strictly optional.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

LFR is pointless to do. But lets say it was rewarding, there is no difficulty. Mechanics can be ignored so there is no challenge. Its just beating on a mob for 5 minutes x3 per wing. Strangely, a boring raid is just as unsatisfying as a frustrating raid. They are bad in different ways. Raiding isn't fun content. Maybe someone will figure it out but I think players for whatever accept raiding, so developers keep making games with them. But I'm glad that MMOs are starting to move away from it.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Well-adjusted adults don't post on internet game forums trying to define well-adjusted adults.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I dont think anyone posting in this thread is familiar with WoW's flex raiding setup.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot posted:

My roommate plays softball with his work every Thursday night

Holyshoot posted:

Just like playing softball with your work every Thursday

New thread title

Wildstar: Just like playing softball with your work every Thursday

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

temple posted:

LFR is pointless to do. But lets say it was rewarding, there is no difficulty. Mechanics can be ignored so there is no challenge. Its just beating on a mob for 5 minutes x3 per wing. Strangely, a boring raid is just as unsatisfying as a frustrating raid. They are bad in different ways. Raiding isn't fun content. Maybe someone will figure it out but I think players for whatever accept raiding, so developers keep making games with them. But I'm glad that MMOs are starting to move away from it.

I personally think that raiding is fun as poo poo, but I don't like being treated like garbage because I can't do Normal every week. :shrug:

It's incredibly discouraging to skip raiding for a month because of work/life/whatever, then come back and find out I do half of everyone else's DPS because they have tier, which is now unobtainable for me, because there's no way to get it except do normal.

MoP's system was perfectly fine. If I missed raiding for a while? Whatever, just go do LFR for a bit. Boring, yeah, but it would give me gear that was just competitive enough to where I could enjoy playing in Normal.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I personally think that raiding is fun as poo poo, but I don't like being treated like garbage because I can't do Normal every week. :shrug:

It's incredibly discouraging to skip raiding for a month because of work/life/whatever, then come back and find out I do half of everyone else's DPS because they have tier, which is now unobtainable for me, because there's no way to get it except do normal.

MoP's system was perfectly fine. If I missed raiding for a while? Whatever, just go do LFR for a bit. Boring, yeah, but it would give me gear that was just competitive enough to where I could enjoy playing in Normal.

Goddamn, that sounds... So fun!

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

With all this comparison to team sports, I think this is a good time to remind people that NCSoft has a baseball team.

I don't think they raid, though.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

There is nothing wrong with liking raiding.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The best raiding in any MMO is when it's years old content, where your one character has the DPS that would've taken 10/20/whatever characters when it was current stuff, you're beholden to nobody else, and can even stop to hear the dialogue at your own pace, if you'd like.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Berious posted:

There's a switch in my brain that instantly goes "this game sucks" as soon as something seems like an obligation, even if i had been happily doing it for hours before. Enjoying a game is all about fooling that switch.

This is actually a normal reaction, please keep on keeping on :)

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Berious posted:

Hardcore

I liked Kara.

Mainly because it went from something we cleared over the course of two days to something we literally did in an hour in very short order.

I've found two nights a week with a maximum of six total hours is about how long I can stand to do this poo poo. Right now we're going three nights @ 2 hours a pop and usually by the third night I just don't want to do it.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Anyone got a char with stuff or money they don't need? I'm getting back into it and enjoying it as a f2p.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Update for people interested in listening to someone talk about playing this bad game:

We fired our main tank last week for being a constant source of "I'm Special" drama. Bi-polar people shouldn't play group based video games when they refuse to take meds. Our offtank got promoted to main tank, our 2nd offtank got promoted to offtank, and we cleared all previously cleared content, proving that you aren't important enough to not be set aside if you are a shitler.

This week: Here's hoping we knock down the next two bosses before Ohmna (The last boss in GA).

This game will be canceled by the time we get there.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Raiding with a bi-polar tank is called "legendary mythic". Casual.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

I still like raiding in WOW, but never again Mythic. Even if B Team was the chillest raid team, it was just torture for me. It doesn't help that I'm really bad at it.

It's been rehashed in much greater vitriol in the Legion alpha thread, but I also hope Blizzard comes through with content beyond raiding in the next expansion.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Also it's been discussed to death in this thread (even since before Wildstar was out) but the reason Blizzard's still the king of raiding is because they've spent as much time on enabling people to raid as they have on the raid content itself: eliminating attunements, LFR, multiple difficulties, flex scaling, and enhancing the group finder. Probably the mistake of WoD was that they oversold themselves on how good a job they'd done and thought that raiding could carry the whole expansion.

Carbine though deliberately went in the opposite direction: they were proud of the 12-step attunement and the tiered progression from 20 to 40 man raiding. How they didn't see that resulting in all the standard social problems of early raiding that Blizzard's been trying to fix for ten years still amazes me.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Holyshoot posted:

ahh the old "everyone raiding hates their lives and cant stop when they want" .
So wrong

You guys must have raided in some lovely raid groups. 3 hours a week doing normals/heroics is about as casual and who gives a gently caress you can get. Just like playing softball with your work every Thursday. I'm not talking about the 20 hour a week try hard. But keep on thinking I am.

Well, you are miserable, in a way.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I used to raid in WoW for a couple of years, and I actually enjoyed it. It was basically about overcoming challenges and hanging out with long-distance friends over Skype or teamspeak or whatever the hell people used back then. On the other hand, when the guild fell apart I immediately quit cold turkey and haven't regretted it in the slightest.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mike12345 posted:

Raiding with a bi-polar tank is called "legendary mythic". Casual.

All of which falls under the Autism Spectrum :nyan:

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
If anyone remembers that wonderful Wildstar forums poster Lethality, here's this from the Star Citizen thread:

Gives me immense schadenfreude that he's part of that trainwreck.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
If he becomes the intense fanboy of one more doomed to fail project he'll get a badge or something.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You could just give him yours.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
yes, well known sa poster rhymenoserous who backed star citizen.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

yes, well known sa poster rhymenoserous who backed star citizen.

We all make mistakes.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I don't kickstart games :v:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
mmorpgs fill a void that doesn't exist anymore, back from when your options for multiplayer games with friends (or to make friends) was like, Unreal Tournament, Counter-Strike, Starcraft, Warcraft 3 or hoping you knew a guy with enough spare controllers that you could get together and play Smash Bros or Halo. Everquest was grognardy poo poo. The idea of an all-encompassing game that was actually fun to play and that lets you meet and befriend a ton of people was pretty revolutionary.

Now you have League of Legends, CoD and Battlefield games with full multiplayer support, World of Tanks, DotA, Minecraft, Smite, CS:GO, Hearthstone, TF2, Destiny, etc. Almost all of which are descendants of those early multiplayer games above, minus WoW. Even single-player games like GTA V have fully fleshed out, sandboxy multiplayer modes now a days. Who gives a gently caress about MMOs when they're clinging to dated concepts like collecting ten thousand bear asses to actually do things with the other people playing the game? It isn't that Wildstar hosed up and just had to get the questing experience right or the dungeons right or the attunement chain is what killed the game or other nitpicky things that only MMO players care about, the failing is trying to trick people into playing the same dated game that they've been playing for over a decade.

Minera fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 31, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

None of those games actually fill the real MMO niche which is pretty princess simulator with a chat interface to talk to people.

Wildstars pretty princess game is extremely weak.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

None of those games actually fill the real MMO niche which is pretty princess simulator with a chat interface to talk to people.

Wildstars pretty princess game is extremely weak.

This. This right here.

A game that charges you an increasing amount of in-game currency for every glamour and dye you apply is really loving missing the point.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Anoia posted:

This. This right here.

A game that charges you an increasing amount of in-game currency for every glamour and dye you apply is really loving missing the point.

It's not that it's missing the point, it's that it's trying to survive its own personal apocalypse.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Minrad posted:

mmorpgs fill a void that doesn't exist anymore, back from when your options for multiplayer games with friends (or to make friends) was like, Unreal Tournament, Counter-Strike, Starcraft, Warcraft 3 or hoping you knew a guy with enough spare controllers that you could get together and play Smash Bros or Halo. Everquest was grognardy poo poo. The idea of an all-encompassing game that was actually fun to play and that lets you meet and befriend a ton of people was pretty revolutionary.

Now you have League of Legends, CoD and Battlefield games with full multiplayer support, World of Tanks, DotA, Minecraft, Smite, CS:GO, Hearthstone, TF2, Destiny, etc. Almost all of which are descendants of those early multiplayer games above, minus WoW. Even single-player games like GTA V have fully fleshed out, sandboxy multiplayer modes now a days. Who gives a gently caress about MMOs when they're clinging to dated concepts like collecting ten thousand bear asses to actually do things with the other people playing the game? It isn't that Wildstar hosed up and just had to get the questing experience right or the dungeons right or the attunement chain is what killed the game or other nitpicky things that only MMO players care about, the failing is trying to trick people into playing the same dated game that they've been playing for over a decade.

I think this is why people jump to every new MMO. It's the only time you can login to the game and immediately find people around your newbie zone to smash dungeons together, which is the only fun thing about the genre. Which as you said, that co-op void filled with thousands of other games that do the jump-in-and-group-up thing a lot better.
Mature MMOs have so much progression and leveling, and gearing and runes/gems/tradeskilling to catch up to the actual grouping it doesn't become fun til much later or never. And then companies release catch-up incentives and the old grognards get mad because 'welfare epics'

Like Diablo3 season, Everquest has been doing on this "Progression" kick where they start a new server at the vanilla game and release expansions on it every couple months. It's a pretty cool and fresh take on the genre; to reset everyone back to square one, and a lot of the players actually love it. They are mostly the highest population servers, because hardcores can rush level to raid targets or whatever the fastest, and casuals can login and immediately group in LGuk or something.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 31, 2016

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

darkhand posted:

Like Diablo3 season, Everquest has been doing on this "Progression" kick where they start a new server at the vanilla game and release expansions on it every couple months. It's a pretty cool and fresh take on the genre; to reset everyone back to square one, and a lot of the players actually love it. They are mostly the highest population servers, because hardcores can rush level to raid targets or whatever the fastest, and casuals can login and immediately group in LGuk or something.
I don't know that it would work well for WoW without significantly rejiggering the content to use the current "Flex" system.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Minrad posted:

When I was a kid it was the persistent world aspect that made me want to try a MMO type game, age of empires was fun and all but everything being reset to that same old 5ish minutes of building up from scratch before anything happens can get old.

But even at 12 years old I knew I should avoid everquest like the plague after hearing enough horror stories and went with Dark age of camelot and it's promises of not being as grindy life-destroying and closer in theme to age of kings.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is there a documentary about where this game went wrong yet?
Also, should I play it now? I never tried it before. Is it free yet?

• Locked thread