Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Anyone who has played/knows more about 7th dragon 3: what's the party size situation? It looks like only three people can fight at once, but articles say the total party size is 9, so I assume there's some kind of in-combat hotswapping going on?

I haven't played it but according to reviews from people who have; yes you can freely swap between 9 party members in battle.

Edit: Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna (Chrono Trigger-like) comes out today in Japan so I'm looking forward to checking out some day-1 Japanese LPs to see if it lives up to the hype. Apparently some guy posted a video of it on the Vita and the load times were nightmarish. Maybe they'll patch that out (and I doubt the PS4 version has them).

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is there any carryover between the games in the Fates Special Edition or can I safely play my wifes copy of Birthright until my copy of the SE arrives and not miss out on anything?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Verranicus posted:

Is there any carryover between the games in the Fates Special Edition or can I safely play my wifes copy of Birthright until my copy of the SE arrives and not miss out on anything?

It's mostly things like the support log and other records being shared. The actual games are distinct.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You get some bonus items to start another campaign from finishing one iirc.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

cheetah7071 posted:

It's mostly things like the support log and other records being shared. The actual games are distinct.

Do actual support levels carry over? I dunno if characters appear in more than one game or not.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Ah, okay, that makes sense then, thanks. I just knew about there being two games and one as DLC, I didn't think they were particularly different.

I honestly keep trying the series but I don't think they're my kind of thing. Too much number grinding in Disgaea rotting my brain. :downs:

Well at least you gave them a shot. Otherwise I'd think you were worrying too much since they're basically just games of rock, paper, scissors checkers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Verranicus posted:

Do actual support levels carry over? I dunno if characters appear in more than one game or not.

There's a core group of about 8 that you get on both routes, mostly your party from before the split, and characters from one side show up fairly regularly as bosses/enemies on the other side.

You get everyone on the third, DLC route also. Support ranks do not carry over.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Verranicus posted:

Nothing carries over from file to file, even within the same campaign.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Is it just me or is the story for Tales of Zesteria really bad? The protagonist does very little without being told to by his party members, the build up for Armatizing with the third and fourth seraphs is laughably rushed, the characters aren't nearly as deep as the way they talk about themselves, the villains are so transparent and one-dimensional that they may as well all sport goatees and punctuate their thoughts with a Vincent Price laugh, and the game plays fast and loose with the concept of Resonance and being able to see seraphs and hellions.

I like the battle system, I'm loosing interest in managing equipment skills until I near the end-game, and the music has been more repetitive than memorable (although some stand out tracks have been brought up in this thread already.). I don't know if I'm just an older audience and I'm doing the equivalent of criticizing a children's book because it doesn't meet my standards. Is the story generally considered to be bad? I'll also accept a long effort post on what the two worlds that every Tales game is about are for Zesteria (human and seraph/hellion, I suppose) and how they interact in subtle ways that is going to open my eyes and reveal a new depth that will make me truly appreciate the game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is the plot as stupid as Graces? I stopped playing Graces because I really just could not give less of a poo poo after awhile.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Tales plot is as stupid as Graces, but it is fairly generic JRPG in a lot of ways.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

playing a tales game for the plot :cripes:

but yeah zestria is a weaker entry imho of someone who's like 20 hours in

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Davincie posted:

but yeah zestria is a weaker entry imho of someone who's like 20 hours in

Yes yes, how can people care about a game's story as long as it looks good and plays well, we get it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Davincie posted:

If a game's gonna pack in a couple hours of cutscenes it's only natural that they'll be a factor in how much people enjoy it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i am enjoying the digimon game. i have a big walrus thing that kills everything and also i guess some dinosaurs?

it sucs you have to revisit kowloon so many drat times, though.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 17, 2016

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I liked a few thing about zestiria, but mostly not. I thought the intro was promising. I really liked the sky area you start out in. I think the combat was one of the things I liked least about it. It felt like it was almost good, but ended up just feeling really repetitive. Also your AI members party members were extremely suicidal.. On hard mode it seemed pretty much like dumb luck whether or not they would survive certain boss battles. also sakuraba needs to stop!!!!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

I liked a few thing about zestiria, but mostly not. I thought the intro was promising. I really liked the sky area you start out in. I think the combat was one of the things I liked least about it. It felt like it was almost good, but ended up just feeling really repetitive. Also your AI members party members were extremely suicidal.. On hard mode it seemed pretty much like dumb luck whether or not they would survive certain boss battles. also sakuraba needs to stop!!!!

Party AI is awful, and I hate that allies never seem to defend or avoid anything

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some day go shiina's compositions will appear in a Tales game that doesn't have a lot of little issues

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Erg posted:

Party AI is awful, and I hate that allies never seem to defend or avoid anything

yeah the parrying/swaying system is cool, but I don't think I ever saw a party member utilize any evasive mechanics. I remember asking myself if I was supposed to switch to anyone who was about to get attacked in order for them to survive.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Yes yes, how can people care about a game's story as long as it looks good and plays well, we get it.

also skits and characters (which are a bit lacking in zestiria) !!

my method for letting the party survive is by forcing them to armatize when in danger, has served me fine so far playing on intense

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The battle system in Tales games has never been so great that the story doesn't matter, because there's so many loving cutscenes and short bits of dialog that if you don't like the characters, it gets so very old so very fast.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The battle system in Tales games has never been so great that the story doesn't matter, because there's so many loving cutscenes and short bits of dialog that if you don't like the characters, it gets so very old so very fast.
the short bits of dialogue in graces own, and the combat was the best jrpg combat system ever invented

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Um Graces ruled despite the overarching story. Just watch the skits and post battle scenes, and skip everything else duh

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The combat has literally been a major selling point of Tales games for a long time. Like they discuss the combat system before they discuss a lot of the characters when hyping it up.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

the short bits of dialogue in graces own, and the combat was the best jrpg combat system ever invented

The words of someone who has never played VP2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly the overarching story in graces wasn't even bad. outside of the overly long opening it was so simple and straightforward that it didn't really grate and there were a couple of decent moments.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG7BJpXK3bQ

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

graces knew not to bother with putting any effort into making a good story so they put it all in the best skits and combat of the franchise

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

honestly the overarching story in graces wasn't even bad. outside of the overly long opening it was so simple and straightforward that it didn't really grate and there were a couple of decent moments.

Any scene focusing on Richard was dull since you knew exactly where it was headed within the first hour of meeting him as an adult.

The world making GBS threads on Asbel for not thinking things through was a pretty nice thing they had going, and the rest of the story was take it or leave it

The story isn't awesome, but the actual gameplay is top tier

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think people think to much when it comes to story telling and it makes it so they can't enjoy simple things (like most JRPG plots).

Turn your brain off sometimes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

But see, I prefer having a story that I don't have to turn my brain off to enjoy. Like Metal Gear Rising. Or Paper Mario 2.

Occasionally, I will though. Like Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. I know it's ca-razy to think that a story could affect whether or not you finish a game but it's certainly happened! See MGSV or The Order 1886.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Not what I said but whatever, have fun with super serious game Revengeance.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Erg posted:

Any scene focusing on Richard was dull since you knew exactly where it was headed within the first hour of meeting him as an adult.

Post-game skit Richard, though...:allears:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Phantasium posted:

I think people think to much when it comes to story telling and it makes it so they can't enjoy simple things (like most JRPG plots).

Turn your brain off sometimes.

There's a difference between nitpicking and getting angry about non-issues and "turning your brain off".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Not what I said but whatever, have fun with super serious game Revengeance.
he said he enjoyed the plot without turning his brain off, not that it was super serious. chill.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I am speaking a different language it seems, please ignore me then.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Post-game skit Richard, though...:allears:

Oh yeah, that's where it gets turned around to watch any scene including Richard

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Endorph posted:

even if they could have put everything on one cart.

This is the bit that winds me up. Why is it impossible to get all three games on a physical cart unless you happened to be watching the Nintendo Direct at the exact instant the game was announced and preordered the Special Edition? Why can I not just order a Complete Edition without all the extra crap for $80 and not have to deal with insanely slow eShop downloads?

Generally I couldn't give a poo poo about special editions for games but this one really grinds my gears. I wouldn't mind if they printed loads of them, but they were gone from the face of the Earth in mere minutes.

I guess the best I can do is wait and see if I can preorder the LE here in the UK whenever the hell they announce a release date and region-hack one of my 3DSes to play it -- I bought American and Japanese ones so I wouldn't get screwed on stuff like SMTIV. Is it relatively easy to do that?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Console DL speeds tend to be crap, but is putting your 3DS in sleep mode while you go out for a walk or something that big a deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Motto posted:

Console DL speeds tend to be crap, but is putting your 3DS in sleep mode while you go out for a walk or something that big a deal?

maybe he doesnt wanna fill up his 3d's memory card or wants to b able to share stuff around with friends