Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
:laffo: at the 2e stuff, how much of that is freely available on purpleworm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If you sent something to those guys, well! Your stupid!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

D&D staff, watch out. The Magic R&D department is gonna want that storage room you work out of back one day.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

:laffo: at the 2e stuff, how much of that is freely available on purpleworm?

Or available dirt cheap at places like Noble Knight or Wayne's Books? I'd be legit surprised if there weren't stacks of some of those books available for a lot less than $50 a pop.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Or available dirt cheap at places like Noble Knight or Wayne's Books? I'd be legit surprised if there weren't stacks of some of those books available for a lot less than $50 a pop.

I certainly can't think of any 3e books that crack the $50 mark. There are books like Frostfall and Book of Nine Swords that can go over retail but I can't think of any that might go over $50 unless prices have spiked in the past year.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, but it's way easier to pay nerds $50 that they'll probably spend on your products to do it for you than it is to scan them all out yourself, especially when your team is slashed down to basically nothing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I certainly can't think of any 3e books that crack the $50 mark. There are books like Frostfall and Book of Nine Swords that can go over retail but I can't think of any that might go over $50 unless prices have spiked in the past year.

I think either the 3e spell compendium or magic item compendium went up to $50.00 for a while during the 4e era but those prices fell again when WotC put out the premium reprint for those books

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

inklesspen posted:

Rulebook Heavily may be planning on doing this; might want to check.

I asked, and they're not, so Enjoy

It's simultaneously worse than I feared and worse than I had hoped.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I like how the box sets

gradenko_2000 posted:

http://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-us/articles/216504408

They're asking people to cut up their own old game books, scan it, arrange the PDFs, host it themselves, let DTRPG download it and review it, and potentially rehost the file for resell back to the market, for 50 dollars store credit.

lol at boxed sets with multiple books and maps and other fiddly bits that would make them a real pain to digitize netting the same bounty as some small page count books.

Also lolx2 that you don't get a complementary copy of the final digital version of the book you just ruined.

I'll be God damned if they think I'd chop up either of my Dark Sun Boxes, or my Spelljammer box for only $50.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They're actually asking for D&D 2nd Edition Core Rules CD-ROMs. Which are, you know... CD ROMs containing digital versions of all the 2nd edition books - the core books, player's options, PHBR series, all in HTML.

Like... what in the gently caress? Those were official digital products, published by Wizards of the Coast. I've got both the Core Rules and Core Rules 2.0 around here somewhere. It makes no sense to "scan" them, either, of course.

As an aside, the Core Rules CD-ROMs had character tools that let you make custom classes and stuff. Wizards followed up with the CD-ROM in the front cover of the 3.0 PHB, which again was a fully-functional character maker with extras. It's just... man, how many times after that did they spend too much money re-inventing the wheel with various digital player aides that they subsequently abandoned after finally getting them to "actually good and useful" states?

e. god dammit it had an integrated map maker tool with campaign integration, including overland, city, and dungeon maps, and a treasure generator, and customizable character sheet layout options, and an online help. They must have spent a significant amount of money developing it back in the day.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 16, 2016

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Wizards are the worst at digital. MTGO is a shitshow.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Leperflesh posted:

Like... what in the gently caress? Those were official digital products, published by Wizards of the Coast.

Wait, I thought those were by TSR? Or am I thinking of something else? I know I have something that sounds like exactly what you're talking about, but I don't know exactly where it is so I could make sure.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, those CD's were TSR and also garbage.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I wouldn't call them garbage, exactly. IIRC, there were some tools on the CDs that were pretty useful in a vacuum, but which were outclassed by 3rd-party applications that were also available at the time. Other parts of the CDs were great if you ran everything by-the-book 2nd Edition, but nobody I knew at the time did that so... :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ok yeah core rules 1.0.was.tsr, I thought 2.0 was wotc but maybe I remember wrong.

The books were in RTF format which meant searchable, and that is already a big jump on what you had for any other rpg product in what, 1996?

The mapping tool wasn't exactly Campaiign Cartographer... which had (still has?) far too much of its CAD origins showing to be a good tool for casually throwing together a map... so it was fine.

Compared to modern digital tools, yeah, it doesn't stand up. At the time? It was, at least to me, revolutionary.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I just remember it was hell trying to even get it to work on my friend's computer and that the CDs were way more of a problem to use then the products they produced were worth. Like the quality of maps and character sheets were not a significant enough improvement over doing them the old fashioned way to justify all of the effort it took to make them with the CD.

I also remember the price point being incredibly high (as most software products were in the beginning of the digital age) for what you got. I don't remember specifically what the dollar amount was, but I remember it being the same or more as a campaign box set.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

They want Dragonlance 5th Age, the version with the card deck that introduced the SAGA system.

That this will not lead to PDF availability for Marvel SAGA is a crime against humanity.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

To be fair a lot of them are very bad quality.

Then again, a lot of them aren't. For instance, I've seen every single product (AFAIK) in the BD&D line scanned in hi-res and properly OCR'd.

Leperflesh posted:

Ok yeah core rules 1.0.was.tsr, I thought 2.0 was wotc but maybe I remember wrong.

The books were in RTF format which meant searchable, and that is already a big jump on what you had for any other rpg product in what, 1996?

I think the 2.0 CDROM even had them in Windows .HLP format, which meant you had proper chapters and clickable links.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

At this point they should make D&D into an open source Wiki that you have to pay to view and pay more to edit.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

EverettLO posted:

pay more to edit.

Think of the options this opens up for powergaming! Rewrite those pesky requirements! Insert new furry races! Change the adventure to put more treasure in the current room!

Make it microtransaction based and d&d suddenly becomes a valuable property again.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Opening up D&D design to nerds everywhere with an Authority Figure crowning some rules as "OFFICIAL" would make a goddamn fortune if it required a submission fee to get rules reviewed.

Gamers would pay to write a game which they'd pay to buy. And it could even be an annual production - every year would require a new 'edition' because of all the great ideas coming from you, the dedicated fans and legacy-carriers of this Greatest Roleplaying Game on Earth.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

homullus posted:

The only review is in Swedish or something, and aside from being 5 stars, it looks as though he/she says the rules are simple and that he/she can't wait for more. There aren't many explicitly feminist games out there, so at least they're selling it on that basis rather than their "innovative d20 mechanic" or the fact that you can "be anything, unlike those other games"?

Swedish skills to the rescue!

The review goes:

All RPGS should be like this is
Even though it has some typoes, it gives/has a good concept and simple rules.

That it is socially relevant only makes it better, and how is i presented is both fantastic and serious.

I can't wait for more.

Someone actually sat down, read the game, and wrote that as a review. And, i mean, roleplaying in sweden has a lot of women and feminists, so they should loving know better. I don't even...

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
It's not as blatant as Tournament of Rapists or similar such poo poo but if a community had a lot of women and/or feminists there would probably be some shitlord versions of those willing to defend any old thing that adhered vaguely to their vision of how the hobby's norms should operate.

Versus our homegrown 'rape is REALISM women were oppressed deal with it' brand of usual grog.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

moths posted:

Opening up D&D design to nerds everywhere with an Authority Figure crowning some rules as "OFFICIAL" would make a goddamn fortune if it required a submission fee to get rules reviewed.

Gamers would pay to write a game which they'd pay to buy. And it could even be an annual production - every year would require a new 'edition' because of all the great ideas coming from you, the dedicated fans and legacy-carriers of this Greatest Roleplaying Game on Earth.
Steam Greenlight, but worse.

The scanning thing is hilarious. I assume the D&D team just don't have the budget to hire a guy to do it properly for them?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Magnusth posted:

Someone actually sat down, read the game, and wrote that as a review. And, i mean, roleplaying in sweden has a lot of women and feminists, so they should loving know better. I don't even...

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but if your hobby/genre/profession/whatever lacks a feminist presence (or any other principle, really), people can be willing to put ideological blinders on for the sake of accepting it, even if it's only nominally feminist, or even not actually feminist at all after a cursory inspection.

chrisoya posted:

Steam Greenlight, but worse.

The scanning thing is hilarious. I assume the D&D team just don't have the budget to hire a guy to do it properly for them?

They are giving away a couple thousand dollars in reward money though, so I wonder how much it would have cost to just have it done in-house.

The other thing that's weird is that some of the titles they're asking for copies of are books that they're already selling on PDF already, such as the B/X sets. What gives?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Magnusth posted:

I mean, TERFs and non-intersectional feminism exist, so it's not like being a woman and/or a feminist means you automatically have good opinions on everything. :v:

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

I know, i know, i know. It just makes me sad and i pretend not to to make the world a little brighter for a few hours. *sigh'

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

occamsnailfile posted:

It's not as blatant as Tournament of Rapists or similar such poo poo but if a community had a lot of women and/or feminists there would probably be some shitlord versions of those willing to defend any old thing that adhered vaguely to their vision of how the hobby's norms should operate.

People give free passes to a lot of things, as long as the person saying/doing those things is on "their team."

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but if your hobby/genre/profession/whatever lacks a feminist presence (or any other principle, really), people can be willing to put ideological blinders on for the sake of accepting it, even if it's only nominally feminist, or even not actually feminist at all after a cursory inspection.

I'm not sure that I buy that the game "isn't really feminist" when it's a game about witches on broomsticks literally fighting the malevolent forces of the Serpent patriarchy. And I mean, this is literally the foreword:

That's not to say it does a very good job with its premise: it's every bit as ham-handed and preachy with its feminism as Hoard the Spoils is with its libertarianism, and both are like Chick tracts in terms of turning people away from what it's advocating. And that's even without the problems on that one section on transgender characters causes or the fetish stuff.

This game will appeal to some people though, provided they're the sort of person who'll uncritically embrace almost anything that panders to their beliefs.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Magnusth posted:

And, i mean, roleplaying in sweden has a lot of women and feminists, so they should loving know better. I don't even...

Mind if I derail a bit to ask if you can tell me more about the Swedish RPG scene? I'm moving to Malmo at the end of March, and I'm curious if you know where to look for games/game stores.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

GimpInBlack posted:

Mind if I derail a bit to ask if you can tell me more about the Swedish RPG scene?

It's mostly neckbeards who praise cargo cult design philosophy, so shouldn't be too hard to get used to. :v:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

It's mostly neckbeards who praise cargo cult design philosophy, so shouldn't be too hard to get used to. :v:

Elaborate.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

ravenkult posted:

Elaborate.

Commercially available non-English retail titles are either standard-issue genre heartbreakers or new editions of old systems. Also, native nerds collectively jizzed their pants over a KS to make a reprint of a boxed set from loving 1987.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Comrade Koba posted:

Well, that's one crowd. The other is the Monitor Celestra, Knutpunkt, jeepform and turku manifesto types. That's more over in the larp genre, though, though lines can be blurry.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Magnusth posted:

Well, that's one crowd. The other is the Monitor Celestra, Knutpunkt, jeepform and turku manifesto types. That's more over in the larp genre, though, though lines can be blurry.

To elaborate, there's a tradition in Swedish (and Norwegian, Danish, etc.) roleplaying of what is essentially freeform roleplaying that involves people sitting around a table (or in the case of Jeepform, a car) and acting out their roles. If there are rules, they're there to structure the situation. It's like LARPing, only you don't dress up or act. Or like tabletop, only you don't do all the tabletop staples like dice.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

LatwPIAT posted:

To elaborate, there's a tradition in Swedish (and Norwegian, Danish, etc.) roleplaying of what is essentially freeform roleplaying that involves people sitting around a table (or in the case of Jeepform, a car) and acting out their roles. If there are rules, they're there to structure the situation. It's like LARPing, only you don't dress up or act. Or like tabletop, only you don't do all the tabletop staples like dice.

I can't even tell if this is real but it is wonderful in any case.

Naw, I don't want to go out tonight babe, me and the boys are going to sit in Steve's car and talk about killing owlbears and maybe hasslin a dragon.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Nordic LARP has the reputation of being experimental and thought provoking, at least here in the states, to the point where "Nordic LARP" is the name used to refer to all games of that nature, regardless of their country of origin.

Knowing the Norwegians that I do, I can totally seem them being huge nerds who think the whole thing is a huge laugh.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
This is like that game show on npr where they slip one crazy news story in with a bunch of fake ones and make people pick.

Shine on your crazy larping Nords, I always wondered what y'all did up there in the winter.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

I can't even tell if this is real but it is wonderful in any case.

Naw, I don't want to go out tonight babe, me and the boys are going to sit in Steve's car and talk about killing owlbears and maybe hasslin a dragon.
There's one one-shot LARP that I know of that takes place entirely in a car, as in you sit in a car and play it.

I forget the name, but the idea is that you're a four-man team of bank robbers who are driving away from a robbery gone wrong; one person is the getaway driver who doesn't know what happened in the bank, one person is the cool professional, one person is the unstable tweaker, and one person is the guy who got shot by the guards and is bleeding in the back seat.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
If the fifth guy is like secretly a bugbear then sign me the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

LatwPIAT posted:

So like The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen but with different scenarios?

• Locked thread