Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Ah yes, Dyatlov Pass, a new and novel subject for this thread.
Let me tell you about sleep paralysis...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Gee, it's almost like people were encouraged to post their favorites...

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

PYF thoroughly explained non supernatural incident

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Travis343 posted:

So just no paranormal stuff then? That's no fun. Let's talk about monsters instead!

My favorites right now are the fearsome critters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fearsome_critters?wprov=sfla1

Basically just a hodge podge crazy rear end poo poo that lumberjacks liked to kid each other with.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Feb 17, 2016

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I liked the Thinking Sideways podcast about the Art Bell Area 51 call quite a bit, despite being annoyed that they hadn't researched Art Bell enough to know that he was broadcasting from his home at the time.

I kind of miss Art Bell, even though he was ridiculously credulous and gave simpletons a radio platform. Still.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

AlbieQuirky posted:

I kind of miss Art Bell, even though he was ridiculously credulous and gave simpletons a radio platform. Still.

The best thing about Art Bell was that he never seemed to take his guests 100% seriously. You could always tell that he was kind of putting them on.
George Noory, on the other hand ... just is gungho about everything that comes on the show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

AlbieQuirky posted:

I liked the Thinking Sideways podcast about the Art Bell Area 51 call quite a bit, despite being annoyed that they hadn't researched Art Bell enough to know that he was broadcasting from his home at the time.

He was a simpleton himself, which is why his show is so beloved. My first job was at a pizza place and I have so many memories of laughing my rear end off with my coworkers in the back. Art is emblematic of a simpler time.

EDIT: Harlot the Witch is loving amazing and better than the Area 51 guy because she really gets Art freaking out about the possibility of magic going through the radio.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

The best Art Bell shows are the ones that start with a hint of truth, like The Philadelphia Experiment and Al Beliek. Totally plausible until about an hour in, then it all goes batshit insane with portals, time travel and human souls transplanted into other bodies. Plus the unscreened open lines.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Harold Stassen posted:

The Art Bell "Area 51" caller- someone claiming to be an ex-Area 51 employee calls into a radio show to warn the world about aliens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoFYu2stcHU

A buddy of mine told me about how he bought a Tool CD the day it came out, and it being a Tool CD, he got really, really high and laid back to listen to it. The end of the CD was a weird track that cut into this call while electronic noise continues to escalate and crescendos right as the call cuts out. He said it was absolutely terrifying because in his state he had forgotten that he was listening to a new CD and was just confused and weirded out by it, not realizing that it was just a recording of a prank or a schizophrenic calling a radio show.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Harold Stassen posted:

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

The Art Bell "Area 51" caller- someone claiming to be an ex-Area 51 employee calls into a radio show to warn the world about aliens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoFYu2stcHU

The Dyatlov Pass incident- a team of Russian hikers in a remote part of the Urals flee their tents in the middle of the night and their cause of death is ruled to be "a compelling unknown force" :stare:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

The Area 51 guy was some goof pranking the show, just like the guy who basically told the plot of Half Life. The only weird thing is what knocked the show off the air

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burning Beard posted:

The best Art Bell shows are the ones that start with a hint of truth, like The Philadelphia Experiment and Al Beliek. Totally plausible until about an hour in, then it all goes batshit insane with portals, time travel and human souls transplanted into other bodies. Plus the unscreened open lines.

Wrong. The best ones are the ones that start insane and still get crazier. There's one that I truly love that I might have saved someplace, it's an open lines episode with dedicated lines for time travelers and antichrists. It's a beautiful mess and I love it and it's also the episode that made me realize that Art was mostly goofing on his callers quietly to keep them going

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Travis343 posted:

I never heard of it before, and found it interesting.

It takes effort to be a oval office, why do you bother with it?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cage posted:

I never heard of it before, and found it interesting.

It takes effort to be a oval office, why do you bother with it?

Just because you don't put effort into your posting doesn't mean nobody else should

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The thread has 182 pages things and is two years old things will probably get posted twice. No need to be rude about it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wild T posted:

A buddy of mine told me about how he bought a Tool CD the day it came out, and it being a Tool CD, he got really, really high and laid back to listen to it. The end of the CD was a weird track that cut into this call while electronic noise continues to escalate and crescendos right as the call cuts out. He said it was absolutely terrifying because in his state he had forgotten that he was listening to a new CD and was just confused and weirded out by it, not realizing that it was just a recording of a prank or a schizophrenic calling a radio show.

"Those are the cries of the carrots! You see Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day, but to them, it is, the, holo-caust."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOvwc8_QXiY

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Cage posted:

The thread has 182 pages things and is two years old things will probably get posted twice. No need to be rude about it.

For real. I didn't catch it the first time around. People post about that crazy chick in the elevator a bunch and no one says anything about that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I didn't link an article, that was someone else.

If you need one, here is one that says he; "did an Internet search for how long it takes for an animal to die in a hot car" and "during lunch [Harris] did access the same vehicle through the driver's side door to place an object into the vehicle."

http://www.people.com/article/toddler-dies-in-hot-car-justin-ross-harris-georgia-murder-police-respond-false-reports

That article quotes the cops referring to that bit about the internet search as "innuendo":

quote:

"There is a lot of speculation and a lot of innuendo," Officer Mike Bowman told PEOPLE on Thursday, referring to reports that the child's father, Justin Ross Harris, did an Internet search for how long it takes for an animal to die in a hot car. "We are not releasing anything of evidentiary value. Our detectives are working tirelessly and with due diligence to make sure this case is not tainted, and that we're able to get an impartial jury."

And if you've forgotten the kid in the car, and if he's in a rear carseat, you don't necessarily see him if you reach into the driver's seat, and you don't check to see if he's in there because so far as you know there's no reason for him to be there. Seriously, big Pulitzer-winning article about how a rush to condemn people in such an awful circumstances is probably not the right thing to do, just up the page a bit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

The Area 51 guy was some goof pranking the show, just like the guy who basically told the plot of Half Life. The only weird thing is what knocked the show off the air

He was in fact the author of a comic book from Caliber Comics drawn by Mike Avon Oeming, Ship of Fools. He was apparently recounting the plot of the comic, but I've never read it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Literally The Worst posted:

I still like the Area 51 recording just for how genuinely creeped out and panicked the guy sounds, plus all the odd stuff with the random dropping of the feed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

And if you've forgotten the kid in the car, and if he's in a rear carseat, you don't necessarily see him if you reach into the driver's seat, and you don't check to see if he's in there because so far as you know there's no reason for him to be there. Seriously, big Pulitzer-winning article about how a rush to condemn people in such an awful circumstances is probably not the right thing to do, just up the page a bit.

Its hard to tell if the cops are just trying to make sure nothing gets released that could taint the jury pool, or if that internet search rumor was actually bullshit. Because I'd think it could be a pretty quick trial if he did in fact search for "how long it takes for an animal to die in a hot car". That's pretty much all I'd need to hear to convict.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Its hard to tell if the cops are just trying to make sure nothing gets released that could taint the jury pool, or if that internet search rumor was actually bullshit. Because I'd think it could be a pretty quick trial if he did in fact search for "how long it takes for an animal to die in a hot car". That's pretty much all I'd need to hear to convict.

drat, I better hope I never get arrested for serial killing because I've went to serial killer websites linked from this very forum.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Phanatic posted:

And if you've forgotten the kid in the car, and if he's in a rear carseat, you don't necessarily see him if you reach into the driver's seat, and you don't check to see if he's in there because so far as you know there's no reason for him to be there...

I have 2 kids and even though they are old enough to manage themselves, I'm always terrified that I forgot them. I never have, but it would be very easy to do so. I feel so much for the people that didn't mean to forget but did. There is no punishment on earth that could be worse than what they are already feeling. Death would be a blessing. There's no reason to send them to jail if there was no intent.

If it's someone else's kid you were in charge of, that's a different story.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just read Dave Cullen's excellent book on Columbine. If you're an American, you've probably heard about the Columbine high school massacre: in 1990, a sociopath and a deeply depressed student teamed up to kill 13 people and injure 21 more. They shot up the school and then committed suicide.

What I didn't realize until I read the book was that the killers weren't aiming for a mass shooting. They wanted an explosion bigger than the Oklahoma City bombing, which killed 168 and injured 380. The killers carried with them 99 explosives (this counts gunpowder shoved into empty CO2 cartridges, so they weren't all major), the biggest of which were two 20-pound propane bombs. They set up the bombs in the school cafeteria, timed to explode at a time they had calculated would have the maximum number of students present. Then they left the school and went back to their cars to set up an ambush to kill any fleeing survivors, as well as first responders. Had the bombs actually worked, they'd have collapsed the ceiling of the cafeteria, killing or injuring the 488 students present. Instead, the killers had to return to the school and shoot people inside.

Fortunately for the students of Columbine, the killers had based their bombs on the Anarchist's Cookbook, and hadn't done enough testing. As a result, not only did the bombs not go off when their timers hit zero, they didn't go off when the killers shot them. Columbine was quite horrible enough, but it was planned to be much worse.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

mostlygray posted:

I have 2 kids and even though they are old enough to manage themselves, I'm always terrified that I forgot them. I never have, but it would be very easy to do so. I feel so much for the people that didn't mean to forget but did. There is no punishment on earth that could be worse than what they are already feeling. Death would be a blessing. There's no reason to send them to jail if there was no intent.

If it's someone else's kid you were in charge of, that's a different story.

I don't have any kids and never spend time with any, but even I can imagine how easy it is to get distracted, frazzled, and out of your routine. Everyone is so quick to judge, but I feel like this could happen to just about anyone, especially if they're sleep-deprived and off their routine for the day. And I agree, in such cases death would be a merciful release. If this were me, I wouldn't be able to manage my own guilt enough to even notice that I was headed off to jail. I don't think any prison could be worse than the one I'd created for myself in my own mind.

Even though I don't really like kids and don't have a lot of sympathy for parents in general, it really rankles me when other parents judge parents or caretakers who have done this, because in all honesty it could just as easily have been them on a bad day.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
I've only heard Art Bell's show once, years ago, but the episode entirely revolved around starships being made out of granite, because granite was the only material that could survive long distance space travel

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just read Dave Cullen's excellent book on Columbine.

Seconded, it really is excellent. Probably the only time I've skipped sleep to finish a book.

I have a pretty intense fear of drowning, so Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson is one of the most terrifying non-fiction books I've ever read. I can't find a substantial excerpt at the moment, but here's a quote from King Vidor that gives you an idea:

King Vidor posted:

I remember now that it seemed as if we were in a bowl looking up toward the level of the sea. As we stood there in the sandy street, my mother and I, I wanted to take my mother's hand and hurry her away. I felt as if the sea was going to break over the edge of the bowl and come pouring down upon us.

e: to clarify, Isaac's Storm is about the 1900 Galveston Hurricane.

china bot has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Feb 17, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

drat, I better hope I never get arrested for serial killing because I've went to serial killer websites linked from this very forum.

Totally the same thing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's a good thing they don't lock people up for false dichotomies or you'd be going away for a long time. Really a shame when you think about it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It can be argued as incidental by any lawyer worth their salt so shouldn't be a "smoking gun" that some dude did a search on his computer once. I mean seriously. This shouldn't be "all the evidence I'd need" to convict a guy of murder.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

china bot posted:

Ie: to clarify, Isaac's Storm is about the 1900 Galveston Hurricane.
My Texas-raised dad, born in the 1930s, used to come into my messy room and say "It looks like the Galveston flood in here." It wasn't until I read Isaac's Storm that I knew what he was talking about. He also used to say "Eat all your food, think of the starving Armenians", and I was quite startled when I discovered the Armenian genocides of the mid-teens. He was bandying about both these phrases in the 1960s and 1970s.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

It can be argued as incidental by any lawyer worth their salt so shouldn't be a "smoking gun" that some dude did a search on his computer once. I mean seriously. This shouldn't be "all the evidence I'd need" to convict a guy of murder.

When that search occurs shortly before your child dies in that exact manner, its absolutely a smoking gun. Sure, it "can" be argued as incidental by a lawyer, and I'm sure it would be. I'd still vote to convict.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My Texas-raised dad, born in the 1930s, used to come into my messy room and say "It looks like the Galveston flood in here." It wasn't until I read Isaac's Storm that I knew what he was talking about. He also used to say "Eat all your food, think of the starving Armenians", and I was quite startled when I discovered the Armenian genocides of the mid-teens. He was bandying about both these phrases in the 1960s and 1970s.

I didn't know about the Armenian genocide until I was in like high school and took a History of WW1 and WW2 course. I could have swore my teacher told us that the actual word "genocide" was first used in reference to that event, but looking up the etymology I don't know if that's true or not.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

When that search occurs shortly before your child dies in that exact manner, its absolutely a smoking gun. Sure, it "can" be argued as incidental by a lawyer, and I'm sure it would be. I'd still vote to convict.

It's more circumstantial, and alone it probably wouldn't suffice to convict. But considering his other activity, like posting on child-free reddit boards about how he wished he hadn't had a kid, and sending dick pics throughout the day to six different women, including one who was 16 (I think?) at the time, and the fact that he had specifically taken his kid out to breakfast that morning so it's not like he was unaware that he'd had him that day...it's all circumstantial and likely none of it would stand on its own, but taken together...it doesn't look good for the guy.

A really great lawyer could probably get a reasonable doubt from the jury. An average one, considering the atmosphere surrounding this kid's death...not so much. Whatever the police are keeping close to the vest, if anything, would be interesting to know.

Source: I followed his arrest closely because it's so rare for someone to get charged with murder under these circumstances, and also IAAL (though not criminal).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Depends on when he did the search. If he did it 9 months before the child died then maybe you can have some reasonable doubt that it was just a coincidence. If he did it the day before or the week before then I really find it difficult to believe the two things aren't connected.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Depends on when he did the search. If he did it 9 months before the child died then maybe you can have some reasonable doubt that it was just a coincidence. If he did it the day before or the week before then I really find it difficult to believe the two things aren't connected.

Pretty sure it was within a week prior. A couple of the videos (like the one where the vet sat in the hot car to demonstrate what your dog would go through, that came out a couple of years ago), he watched a couple times.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just read Dave Cullen's excellent book on Columbine. If you're an American, you've probably heard about the Columbine high school massacre: in 1990, a sociopath and a deeply depressed student teamed up to kill 13 people and injure 21 more. They shot up the school and then committed suicide.

On this note, I read this article the other day , an interview with Sue Klebold, Dylan Klebold's mother. It's reasonably chilling (and ended up with me wanting to go and hug my mother).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ozz81 posted:

I still like the Area 51 recording just for how genuinely creeped out and panicked the guy sounds, plus all the odd stuff with the random dropping of the feed.

Oh it's still a fantastic call but it's really not all that creepy

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

cptn_dr posted:

On this note, I read this article the other day , an interview with Sue Klebold, Dylan Klebold's mother. It's reasonably chilling (and ended up with me wanting to go and hug my mother).

Oh poo poo I heard this was happening and forgot to check for it, I think this is the first time she's spoken about what happened.

Huge fan of Cullen's book btw, so nthing any recommendations for it

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Please note, fellow posters: He never said he wasn't a serial killer.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

John Lee posted:

Please note, fellow posters: He never said he wasn't a serial killer.

When DID you stop beating your wife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I guess I should preface these with "sorry if this has been posted before, but it's one of my favourites"

Airship Italia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airship_Italia

Essentially an exploration blimp on an expedition to the North Pole loses altitude and smashes into the pack ice north of Svalbard. Many are stranded on the ground, but some are still aboard the blimp- which, having lost much of its weight after smashing and detaching part of the passenger car, regains buoyancy, rises into the air, floats away, and is never seen again. Neither the blimp nor the people aboard it have ever been found. THAT to me is loving unnerving :stare: