Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

HEY GAL posted:

So if I've been learning Italian-style fencing and I'm fighting with a guy who knows Destrezza, what the gently caress do I do when he just plops his big heavy blade on top of mine and constrains me all day long?

Well first of all you need 99 friends and 100 18 foot long spears...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

The 17th century is the 16th century's brain damaged son

I too dislike interesting time periods where sources are rich with drama and angst.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tercio posted:

I too dislike interesting time periods where sources are rich with drama and angst.

post/avatar/name combo <3 <3 :buddy:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Man Whore posted:

die probably.
:saddowns:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27M5KWI_q50

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

HEY GAL posted:

So if I've been learning Italian-style fencing and I'm fighting with a guy who knows Destrezza, what the gently caress do I do when he just plops his big heavy blade on top of mine and constrains me all day long?

Don't let him bind with you. Also plenty of blade grabbing with your free hand if/when he does, and displace/close really fast if he does constrain and smash his face in with your pommel/guard.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

DandyLion posted:

Don't let him bind with you. Also plenty of blade grabbing with your free hand if/when he does, and displace/close really fast if he does constrain and smash his face in with your pommel/guard.
spanish fencing is so loving pretty tho, there's something so satisfyingly straightforward about the way a spanish fencer settles him/herself into their stance

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kassad posted:

Everyone's just jealous their revolution wasn't as big as 1789 :france:

The best revolution is the Glorious Revolution of 1809 in Iceland when Lord-Protector Jørgen Jørgensen gave the Icelanders their freedom from the tyrannical Dane after the merchant ship he was on sort of took over the entire country so they could bypass trade restrictions on non-Danish merchants and sell some soap. He never really got a chance to enact most of his reforms since his reign only lasted two months before he was arrested by the British.

His flag was a lot better than the one Iceland got when it actually became independent more than a century later

Compare to that dull old Nordic cross

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 14, 2016

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

What kind of fish is that? looks like it got stepped on by ducks.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Fizzil posted:

It's the dreaded Headless Cod.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Fizzil posted:

It's cod alright. Very important export commodity. Lífið er saltfiskur.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I caved and bought one of these. It's like owning a piece of history! At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen
selch vreude niemer werden mac
der man ze den ziten pflac

Verisimilidude posted:

I caved and bought one of these. It's like owning a piece of history! At least that's what I keep telling myself.

I remember being very interested in that sword, I found this review - http://www.rsw.com.hk/brescia-review.htm - that might be worth knowing, just in case you need to be conscious of the durability. I hope you enjoy the sword.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Verisimilidude posted:

Nice, I got a Duke a few years back and still love it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it bums me out that Albion doesn't make more modern blades

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

HEY GAL posted:

it bums me out that Albion doesn't make more modern blades

It stops when swordsmanship starts sucking

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Railtus posted:

I remember being very interested in that sword, I found this review - http://www.rsw.com.hk/brescia-review.htm - that might be worth knowing, just in case you need to be conscious of the durability. I hope you enjoy the sword.

I've handled them before and I've never had any problems with my other Albion swords (Meyer and a Crecy) but they can be hit-or-miss sometimes with quality. They've recently started training a bunch of new apprentices so we'll see how the quality turns out.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Railtus posted:

Nobody should be cutting dead bones with a sword in the first place. Live bone behaves very differently, being more flexible and softer. Moreover, pigs' bones are denser than humans'. As Lancelot admits in the first paragraph he had unreasonable expectations for the sword.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

It stops when swordsmanship starts sucking
why do they keep making things you like then

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

HEY GAL posted:

why do they keep making things you like then

Zing! But in all seriousness Rodrigo Diaz is totally correct on this.

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen
selch vreude niemer werden mac
der man ze den ziten pflac

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Nobody should be cutting dead bones with a sword in the first place. Live bone behaves very differently, being more flexible and softer. Moreover, pigs' bones are denser than humans'. As Lancelot admits in the first paragraph he had unreasonable expectations for the sword.

Unfortunately using live bones for test-cutting tends to upset local law enforcement, especially if using live human bones.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Hostel 4: Renfair Swordsmiths.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Railtus posted:

Unfortunately using live bones for test-cutting tends to upset local law enforcement, especially if using live human bones.

Just find some neckbeard with a katana who wants to prove the quality of his FOLDED OVER 1000 TIMES glorious nippon blade

No jury would ever convict

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i don't know if the dude i know who got halberded in the head at an event two years ago had it bite into bone or not. i should ask him the next time we meet

wait, that dude who had his thumb cut off this year! and he's in my regiment, if not my company, so I see him every now and then

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

HEY GAL posted:

i don't know if the dude i know who got halberded in the head at an event two years ago had it bite into bone or not. i should ask him the next time we meet

wait, that dude who had his thumb cut off this year! and he's in my regiment, if not my company, so I see him every now and then

Was it actually 'cut' or rather 'pinched'off? I ask because BOTN about 5 years ago had a Czech guy get his thumb pinched off from one of the blunt arming swords they bash each other with (and through fingered gauntlets no less).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

DandyLion posted:

Was it actually 'cut' or rather 'pinched'off? I ask because BOTN about 5 years ago had a Czech guy get his thumb pinched off from one of the blunt arming swords they bash each other with (and through fingered gauntlets no less).
Cut. Some Spanish dude brought a real weapon onto the field. I had never seen my hauptmann so angry.

And we don't wear what we wouldn't have worn back then, so cuirassiers have armored gauntlets but he did not.

It's always the Czechs, isn't it? They just love to spend an entire day hitting one another as hard as they can.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Forgive me for the shotgun question here, but does anyone know if there are major factors that cause technological stagnation? Is it as simple as a lack of trade or war? I know the medieval age wasn't stangant but I figured you guys would know out of anybody.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

MrSlam posted:

Forgive me for the shotgun question here, but does anyone know if there are major factors that cause technological stagnation? Is it as simple as a lack of trade or war? I know the medieval age wasn't stangant but I figured you guys would know out of anybody.

More often than not a lack of the technology with more possibility having immediate usefulness. Human society is great at making a ton of things and having them get progressively better. They're a whole lot less good at making huge leaps to something that doesn't seem useful. We only had two or three neolithic revolutions. I think working non-meteoric iron only got invented once. The wheel was invented in the Americas but it didn't see widespread use on anything fancier than toys because nobody wants a wheeled cart when they can have a sled in the swamps or llamas that can actually climb worth a drat in the mountains. It's a really broad strokes answer but I think that sort of generalization's all that answer can get.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

HEY GAL posted:

Cut. Some Spanish dude brought a real weapon onto the field.

Reminds me of a thing in US WWII re-enactment a couple years ago where a guy brought LIVE ROUNDS. 4 people injured.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

DandyLion posted:

I'm totally going to try this the next time I fence against you.

I mean, you're still gonna kill me, but I'm gonna try...

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Man Whore posted:

Reminds me of a thing in US WWII re-enactment a couple years ago where a guy brought LIVE ROUNDS. 4 people injured.

this is like the pinnacle of stupid

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

HEY GAL posted:

Cut. Some Spanish dude brought a real weapon onto the field. I had never seen my hauptmann so angry.

And we don't wear what we wouldn't have worn back then, so cuirassiers have armored gauntlets but he did not.

It's always the Czechs, isn't it? They just love to spend an entire day hitting one another as hard as they can.

What else are you gonna do when you're Czech?

I think being landlock just fucks with people's heads.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is people bringing real weapons (including both swords and bullets, apparently) something that happens frighteningly regularly in reenactments? I'd never have thought so, but apparently you can get your thumbs cut off by a Spaniard, so

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Well with guns at least, a lot of them are real, just modified to shoot blanks (or not modified at all for non-automatics). If someone is supremely retarded though he will put live rounds into his very real gun and cause extremely realistic injuries!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Man Whore posted:

Well with guns at least, a lot of them are real, just modified to shoot blanks (or not modified at all for non-automatics).
yeah, the guns are real and you do everything except put a real bullet in there

the swords, pikes, and daggers have no edges or points, but poo poo still does happen. even a blunt pike can loving wreck you, a czech woman caught a pike in the mouth the year before i started reenacting, it went in her mouth and out the side of one of her cheeks. knocked her front teeth out but she lived

the problem there was that the head may not have been actually pointed but the pike was heavy enough that that didn't matter.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 18, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FreudianSlippers posted:

What else are you gonna do when you're Czech?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

HEY GAL posted:

what the gently caress do I do when he just plops his big heavy blade on top of mine and constrains me all day long?
Huhuhuhuhuh

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Hello, I'm not sure if this is more of a milhist question or not, but I'll try it here.

There's a letter from a student in 1587, who was watching a play in London. He says:

My Lord Admiral's men and players, having a device in their play to tie one of the their fellows to a post and so shoot him to death, having borrowed their calivers, one of the players hands swerved; his piece, being charged with a bullet, missed the fellow he aimed at and killed a child, and a woman great forthwith, and hurt another man in the head very sore.

The play is probably Tamburlaine II.

Obviously that story doesn't make any sense. I don't have any more context, because I'm quoting that bit of the letter from a secondary source. The general interpretation, which I've run across in a lot of books, is that the gun was loaded, and the actor was trying to miss. That seems very unlikely. Is it possible that the gun was blank, but the wadding was sufficient to kill/hurt people? Any other ideas?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it's not his gun--he borrowed the caliver and then shot it without checking how it had been loaded, with or without shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GAL posted:

it's not his gun--he borrowed the caliver and then shot it without checking how it had been loaded, with or without shot

Yeah, but that doesn't seem very plausible to me because why would you just borrow some random guy's gun and start firing it off. Who was carrying a loaded gun in a theater?

Although apparently some chucklefuck turned up to your reenactment with a sharp sword so maybe...

• Locked thread