Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

Decided to repaint all of my Warp Spiders in advance of Adepticon.

Along with my traditional white/green Biel-Tan Guardian/Wraith units, I'm going to doing my Warp Spiders in Blue/Purple upon a black underarmor with green highlights. Conceptually, what are your thoughts on that?

:hawksin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Boon posted:

Havent started because I need to rebuy paints. Jist brainstorming though.

What event you doing for Adepticon?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Gonna do the team tournament. 40K continues to be in a state where the GT would just be a headache.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Boon posted:

Gonna do the team tournament. 40K continues to be in a state where the GT would just be a headache.

Team one would've been cool, but I don't have the two requirements.

1) Competitive List
2) A friend

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah the team rules are intense, but pretty balanced.

4 Players on a team. 1000 Pts, 1 HQ and 1-3 Troops.

May take one of the following per team up to 4 options (players may not take the same option and can only select one)
- Additional HQ
- Additional Elite
- Additional Troops
- Additional Fast Attack
- Additional Heavy Support
- Formation (less than 500 points)
- LoW (only team captain)
- Assassin

Might be some others, but that's the general gist of it. Come on by when you're there though!

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I apologize as I haven't been keeping up with the thread (I'm currently in the middle of a long hiatus from the game, and enjoying it) - however our big GT is coming up in April, and wanted to share it in case any of you guys across the midwest would like to join us:

http://www.flyingmonkeygt.com/

April 15-17 in Wichita, KS

There are a ton of events, please check it out and join us. I'm playing in the 40k GT, the Knight Joust and Beerhammer.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Yes and no, respectively.

Is there an errata that clarifies this? My battle scribe is letting me take the other battle companies in place of a Demi.

Also, woo another Rhino done...

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 17, 2016

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I apologize as I haven't been keeping up with the thread (I'm currently in the middle of a long hiatus from the game, and enjoying it) - however our big GT is coming up in April, and wanted to share it in case any of you guys across the midwest would like to join us:

http://www.flyingmonkeygt.com/

April 15-17 in Wichita, KS

There are a ton of events, please check it out and join us. I'm playing in the 40k GT, the Knight Joust and Beerhammer.

Now that dark star isn't a thing anymore the Warhogs are looking real hard at going to this.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Uroboros posted:

My battle scribe is letting me

Battlescribe can and will be wrong, its still user submitted and interactions dont always work like they should.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

Is there an errata that clarifies this? My battle scribe is letting me take the other battle companies in place of a Demi.

Also, woo another Rhino done...

That's a handsome tank. The gunner looks real nice too.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I've always loved that Marine gunners can't physically fit through the hatch to get back in the tank.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Naramyth posted:

Now that dark star isn't a thing anymore the Warhogs are looking real hard at going to this.

The more the merrier.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

adamantium|wang posted:

I've always loved that Marine gunners can't physically fit through the hatch to get back in the tank.

They get dropped in like R2-D2 I imagine.

So a few years ago (long before I started this army) a friend of mine gave me the remains of a miscast Squiggoth in a Ziploc bag. It had sat around in my Warhams box for years until a couple weeks ago when I decided to see what I could do with it. With a lot of green stuff, a few digs through my bitz box, and an awful lot of clipping and cutting, I'd built myself a proper howdah for the big beast! There's still some pretty bad problems with the model - a slipped mold happened somewhere obviously - I still think I did a decent job salvaging the model! Also my old second lamp I was using for photography started shooting sparks so I had to toss it; until I get a suitable replacement my lighting might be a little off. This first image shows his colors most accurately:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Wow, you're painting so quickly. Looks great like all the others, how many points you painted of this current scheme?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Uroboros posted:

Sadly I won't be using an airbrush anytime in the foreseeable future. I have no place to use it that is ventalated and climate controlled. Have any recommended videos to highlight some of these techniques that I can try out regardless of painting by brush or airbrush?

I don't have any videos bookmarked specifically, but zenithal is possible with just spray cans. If you're in the UK you can get a can of Halfords grey primer and a can of their matte black paint (there's discussion going on in the painting thread about these paints specifically), if you're in the US try Krylon or Duplicolor. Basic zenithal shading is done by just spraying black all over like you'd normally do, then spraying grey from above at about a 45 degree angle, then if you want highlights a shot from directly over the top of the model with white. Then a thin coat or 2 of your base color and job's a good'un. Details, edge highlighting and you're done.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

krushgroove posted:

I don't have any videos bookmarked specifically, but zenithal is possible with just spray cans. If you're in the UK you can get a can of Halfords grey primer and a can of their matte black paint (there's discussion going on in the painting thread about these paints specifically), if you're in the US try Krylon or Duplicolor. Basic zenithal shading is done by just spraying black all over like you'd normally do, then spraying grey from above at about a 45 degree angle, then if you want highlights a shot from directly over the top of the model with white. Then a thin coat or 2 of your base color and job's a good'un. Details, edge highlighting and you're done.

Awesome, exactly what I needed to know.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Hencoe posted:

Battlescribe can and will be wrong, its still user submitted and interactions dont always work like they should.

At one point I signed up to fix the marine codex, but the other guys doing it are really really bad at using git and my changes got overwritten on a regular basis. There are only so many times I can correct the Thunderfire cannon profile to the new codex and 7th edition :argh:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Thoughts after playing 1k dark eldar after ignoring 40k for a few years.

-kaballite splinter raiders still fun as gently caress to use. Still fragile as gently caress, too.
-jink plus night shields is crazy as hell against someone who can't negate cover.
-but losing flicker fields as a general upgrade sucks.
-power from pain is at least way easier to keep track of.
-oh god where did all the special characters go?
-oh god what happened to all the wargear options?
-my precious phantasm grenade launcher :smith:
-no seriously why is one of the more useful melee weapons suddenly unique to the Scourge unit leader of all things?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

Wow, you're painting so quickly. Looks great like all the others, how many points you painted of this current scheme?

Thanks! I'm up to about 1900 points. It's not wholly ideal (I have no idea where to put Mutoid Mek since I don't have any heavy armor he can fix) but I can at least field a decent 1850 list.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TKIY posted:

So apparently next week we get a Genestealer Cults vs Deathwatch boxed game: http://natfka.blogspot.ca/2016/02/genecults-and-deathwatch-to-appear-in.html

Further rumours:

Normally I'd be very excited for Genestealer Cults stuff but with no 40k rules for them and no real way to field Deathwatch, I bet this box set won't sell well.

Honestly this the main reason I'm disappointed that formations are handled so horribly. Deathwatch and Genestealer Cukts are both prime candidates for a formation like the Harlequins, something that doesn't make sense as a full army so they get a formation or two that allows them to ally with a main force. But formations feel like such an afterthought that just don't gel well with the rules.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
You guys know how Space Wolves are having all sorts of trouble with assaults and shooting and stuff? Well they just got run and charge in the new starter box. Or preferred enemy on shooting. Whichever you prefer, mix and match.

And yet Hormagaunts must choose between running and charging. Makes sense.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 17, 2016

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Finished up 3 more dudes:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

TKIY posted:

You guys know how Space Wolves are having all sorts of trouble with assaults and shooting and stuff? Well they just got run and charge in the new starter box. Or preferred enemy on shooting. Whichever you prefer, mix and match.

Ahahaha, the gently caress. Turn 1 thunderwolf charges incoming.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Plus the chance on the Wulfen chart to move twice right?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TKIY posted:

Tyranids now exist solely for the purpose of making other players feel more cinematic. You are forging their narrative.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

Tyranids now exist solely for the purpose of making other players feel more cinematic. You are forging their narrative.

Isnt that what they have always done, tbh.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Isnt that what they have always done, tbh.

During the Nidzilla period of the Tyranid life cycle they actually did a good deal of wrecking. And it made other players real mad.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

drat these are sharp. Good use of the upgrade sprue, but you gotta drill them barrels!

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

It's just more and more depressing, plus there probably won't be a new book for nids for another year.
On the other hand I took a tyranid prime in a 500 point league game armed to the teeth with LW/BS adrenal glands, toxin, and flesh hooks and threw him in a hormagaunt squad. Turn 1 they charged and butchered an aggressive black knight squad, turn 2 a tactical squad with a librarian, turn 3 the grav dev squad they had been laughing at all game, and turn 4 his last couple tacticals.

It was magical :allears:

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 17, 2016

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

TKIY posted:

'and still be able charge in the same turn'

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Can anyone with the curse of the wulfen book tell me whether or not dreadnoughts got 4 attacks now?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

TKIY posted:

Pretty neato but the Wolf Lord tax is pretty high

DJ Dizzy posted:

Can anyone with the curse of the wulfen book tell me whether or not dreadnoughts got 4 attacks now?

Nope, which is loving ridiculous.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

DJ Dizzy posted:

I can't find any stat lines for the Dreadnoughts. There's an Ancients of the Fang formation which is 2-5 Dreads plus an Iron Priest. So I think the answer is no. There's only stat lines for new models (+ Bloodthirsters and Belakor).

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Your guys are definitely improving. Did you use the cloak edging from the Ultramarine transfer sheet on that dudes tabard? Was it hard to apply to an uneven surface? Because it looks like you did it well. Maybe do an extra Admin Grey highlight on the guns. And Fire Dragon Bright very thinly edge the red helm will give it some extra pop.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Phyresis posted:

Pretty neato but the Wolf Lord tax is pretty high

Nope, which is loving ridiculous.

You guys have Murderfang if you want a choppy dreadnought. Does that thing have 4+ attacks?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Is there a way to abuse this combined with the deathpack rules?

Uroboros posted:

Sadly I won't be using an airbrush anytime in the foreseeable future. I have no place to use it that is ventalated and climate controlled. Have any recommended videos to highlight some of these techniques that I can try out regardless of painting by brush or airbrush?

Here ya ar mi broder:

http://www.powerfisted.com/?p=199

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

TKIY posted:

Oh look, another Wolf unit that gets every turn the one single unique feature of my army, but better.

Orks are suffering. :smithicide:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Is there a way to abuse this combined with the deathpack rules?

Here ya ar mi broder:

http://www.powerfisted.com/?p=199

I don't think so since the only transport options are dedicated?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That getting 'free' upgrades has become a thing in GW design is pretty disappointing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Uroboros posted:

Your guys are definitely improving. Did you use the cloak edging from the Ultramarine transfer sheet on that dudes tabard? Was it hard to apply to an uneven surface? Because it looks like you did it well. Maybe do an extra Admin Grey highlight on the guns. And Fire Dragon Bright very thinly edge the red helm will give it some extra pop.

Thanks man. Yeah that's the cloak edging from the big Ultramarine transfer sheet. It was a bit fiddly yeah, but I use the Micro Sol softening solution to soften up my transfers when I apply them so they go onto uneven surfaces much easier. It's good for transfers over panel lines as well, makes them look painted on.

I do keep thinking of doing a second round of even lighter edge highlights, but I just find the process so tedious.

• Locked thread