Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

odiv posted:

Yeah, there was that BW warriors deck that got a lot of attention in Khans and then disappeared for a while because of it.

BW Warriors was the deck for people who wanted Temur to be good and never was, and were so desperate for a silly rogue deck to be good that they continually held out hope that BW warriors could be a thing when it clearly wasn't a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

BW Warriors was the deck for people who wanted Temur to be good and never was, and were so desperate for a silly rogue deck to be good that they continually held out hope that BW warriors could be a thing when it clearly wasn't a thing.

I assumed he was talking about BW Warriors as a draft archetype which probably disappeared because people fought over BW cards and it couldn't support 2-3 drafters if not more at a table trying to build it.

Interestingly enough I feel as far as linear draft strats go one that never had a saturation problem (at least anecdotally) was poison in triple scars. If you first picked hand of the praetors you were good to pick a poison common every pack and steamroll an 8-4.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Zoness posted:

Realistically my point is more that draft simulators barely contribute more than a full spoiler does for "solving" a format although they can give you a reasonable impression on what boards can look like.

Most draft formats, good or bad, tend to develop as the drafting trends change anyways so it's kind of moot. I don't think the news on going mono-blue in m14 was out from anyone's initial draft simulations, for starters. MODO drafts are especially sensitive to articles written about particular archetypes such as when Zvi wrote an article on drafting UW levelers in RoE making that archetype autolose for the next 2-3 weeks.

Yeah that makes a lot more sense as an argument for draft sims giving you nothing beyond basic familiarity, and maybe one step beyond that, how an average 2-color deck will shake out in a very "Level 0" sort of way for the usual color pairs.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Black was fairly unplayable in AVR draft and people perpetuating "no actually it's really strong if you're the only black drafter" basically guaranteed it would never actually be good.

People loved trying to force that deck.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DoctorOozy posted:

Hey I think I played it in a super early version of Jeskai black. !.. that one time... maybe
Mardu Walkers was a thing early in THS/KTK standard.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I rare draft like a fiend. poo poo one time I cracked a foil full art island and just drafted that poo poo. Gimme my 12 bucks fuckers.

I mean you should probably always try to guarantee you get something out of a draft.

Edit: Fun is not a currency.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

... unplayable ... AVR draft ...

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Zoness posted:

I assumed he was talking about BW Warriors as a draft archetype which probably disappeared because people fought over BW cards and it couldn't support 2-3 drafters if not more at a table trying to build it.

Interestingly enough I feel as far as linear draft strats go one that never had a saturation problem (at least anecdotally) was poison in triple scars. If you first picked hand of the praetors you were good to pick a poison common every pack and steamroll an 8-4.

My bad on that. I was just so tired of seeing lovely bw warriors decklists and theorycrafting and poo poo about bw warriors in standard that the very mention of it here got my hackles up.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AVR limited was a really boring format. I don't think I ever lost a game I got a board state lead.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

AVR limited was a really boring format. I don't think I ever lost a game I got a board state lead.

Definitely lost one or two from a lead just to a Bonfire or Entreat from the top of a deck, but that's the way those cards roll.

Only GP trip I've made was AVR limited (GP Malmö), hopefully Eldritch Moon is better environment than that as I'm pondering GP Stockholm in July...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sign-ups for Thunderdome VII: Dirge of Faeries are underway! It's Pauper and MTGO only. I've got a few decks for people to borrow and I'm sure other people do too. Sign-ups will end whenever. The top 8 of Thunderdome 6 just started so we'll probably try to start a week after that ends

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

It was such a bad format which is unfortunate because Soulbond is such an excellent mechanic. Everything else about it was such a hot mess.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Black was fairly unplayable in AVR draft and people perpetuating "no actually it's really strong if you're the only black drafter" basically guaranteed it would never actually be good.

People loved trying to force that deck.

On the other hand, it did have some actual removal which is more than the other 4 colors got.

This week's Magic story is pretty bad, but it does have some good one-liners:

- "And when the elf lit up, Kiora took a breath of dust-hazed air."
- "And then it began raining Eldrazi."

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Bread Set Jettison posted:

It was such a bad format which is unfortunate because Soulbond is such an excellent mechanic. Everything else about it was such a hot mess.

soulbond is like, one of the main reasons the format sucked lmao

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

soulbond is like, one of the main reasons the format sucked lmao

I thought it was the lack of removal, overall low card quality and tendency to create board states that were unbeatable unless you pulled the swingy miracle card.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I thought it was the lack of removal, overall low card quality and tendency to create board states that were unbeatable unless you pulled the swingy miracle card.
Many of these are knock-on-effects from soulbond though- to make soulbond good they nerfed instant-speed interaction. Not having good interaction makes it hard to come back from a losing board state unless you have a bomb.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Yeah I'm aware of box-mapping, but thought that only has to do with rares, not with the order of commons. Is it really the case that Red Common X always appears adjacent to Green Common Y anytime either appears in a booster pack of lovely WoTC Set Z? Because that seems retarded and I don't recall that being the case in any set I've drafted in the last several years.

There's a dude with some sort of math/science background who makes youtube videos going over print runs. There will be maybe once instance in each set where two commons always show up next to each other.

Basically the two things he takes away from the analysis is that there will be one common of each color in 99% of the packs, and the top tier stuff like premium removal is is limited to 2-4 common slots per pack. With variance and foils messing things up, there very little conclusive knowledge you can get from trying to read print runs. There's a reason you never see streamers or Limited Resources talk about them, if you want to get good then your time is better spent elsewhere.

Zoness posted:

Realistically my point is more that draft simulators barely contribute more than a full spoiler does for "solving" a format although they can give you a reasonable impression on what boards can look like.

Maybe if you have a full 8 to test with but I've given up on trying to learn from cockatrice/xmage. Most of the players are real bad and you can just win with anything.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I mean, that's true of some FNMs too. We're not all aiming to hit the Pro Tour.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

odiv posted:

I would never want to play a pro tour. I get tired of magic during day 1 of an event.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I would never want to play a pro tour. I get tired of magic during day 1 of an event.

The waves at north shore start go get good around October so aim to attend the Honolulu one for that at least.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Chill la Chill posted:

Uh, the sarkhan that turned into a dragon and had haste was actually pretty good....for sealed.

I have it as a 1-of in my board for Jeskai. It sometimes replaces a wingmate roc. v:shobon:v

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lets Pickle posted:

This week's Magic story is pretty bad, but it does have some good one-liners:

- "And then it began raining Eldrazi."
that's about as "good" as your average 14-year-old's fanfiction

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I haven't actually read the stories, but didn't they post the story of the Planeswalkers winning and celebrating their victory around the time of Oath's prerelease/release? And every story since has been different perspectives on the final battle? I keep seeing posts where the synopsis of the story includes "Chandra burns the Titans". Surely they can't keep posting basically the same story with words switched around, right?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

I haven't actually read the stories, but didn't they post the story of the Planeswalkers winning and celebrating their victory around the time of Oath's prerelease/release? And every story since has been different perspectives on the final battle? I keep seeing posts where the synopsis of the story includes "Chandra burns the Titans". Surely they can't keep posting basically the same story with words switched around, right?

No, but the fat pack story summary went over pretty much everything long before we got any actual articles on the final battle.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

odiv posted:

That's the skill level I'm comparing it to when I say that the cockatrice drafters are extremely bad.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Kelly Digges, the one good writer, was assigned to make the whole "extradimensional terrors die from being burned" more palatable. He succeeded, in that he made it about zendikar itself literally sucking the strength from the eldrazi.

And then this story came along, and reiterated that, yes, they died because chandra miracled bonfire for 12

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

GeneX posted:

Kelly Digges, the one good writer, was assigned to make the whole "extradimensional terrors die from being burned" more palatable. He succeeded, in that he made it about zendikar itself literally sucking the strength from the eldrazi.

And then this story came along, and reiterated that, yes, they died because chandra miracled bonfire for 12

Even that 'good' explanation would have come off as dumb and handwavey given that it came up and was resolved in the space of a single small set; you're right that it's an improvement but that's pretty faint praise (as I'm sure you realize ).

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

the only good ending would have been that the eldrazi win, zendikar loses, and the avengers make an oath not to let that happen again. it's so obvious ...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bonus posted:

the only good ending would have been that the eldrazi win, zendikar loses, and the avengers make an oath not to let that happen again. it's so obvious ...

With Emrackles being the only one left, I'd guess that we'll be seeing her as a recurring villain for a long time.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I think most people's theory was that they nerfed all the removal to make soulbond playable which turned out to be a really terrible idea.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I hope eternal masters comes in corrugated cardboard packs this time. I won't have my foil forces touched by anything less.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Chill la Chill posted:

I hope eternal masters comes in corrugated cardboard packs this time. I won't have my foil forces touched by anything less.

I will accept nothing less than a series 15 toploaders with double sleeved cards inside of a kevlar envelope.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I will shake my packs before I open them, for luck.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
The eldrazi are totes showing up again. Ugin was pretty straightforward in saying "don't do that." Then they did that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I hope the Ulamog and Kozilek show up again except now they're on fire like all the time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

born on a buy you posted:

The eldrazi are totes showing up again. Ugin was pretty straightforward in saying "don't do that." Then they did that.

But Jace is the best at Magic

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
A good way to make the story not be dumb and bad even though U and K are dead would be if new titans emerge to replace them. Something about how since they reflect the underlying realities, there must always be some sort of manifestation of the titans, even if it isn't the same one from epoch to epoch.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

A good way to make the story not be dumb and bad even though U and K are dead would be if new titans emerge to replace them. Something about how since they reflect the underlying realities, there must always be some sort of manifestation of the titans, even if it isn't the same one from epoch to epoch.

there must always be a big thing

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Yeah I'm aware of box-mapping, but thought that only has to do with rares, not with the order of commons. Is it really the case that Red Common X always appears adjacent to Green Common Y anytime either appears in a booster pack of lovely WoTC Set Z? Because that seems retarded and I don't recall that being the case in any set I've drafted in the last several years.

Even in modern sets this is true to a large extent. It gets very noticeable in sealed when you open six packs and four of them all have the same run of 5 commons in a row, just in slightly different portions of the pack with different cards to bookend them. This can be a lot harder to see in draft because people needlessly shuffle the packs to make sure you can't tell they took the rare, and because people are removing the cards so you don't see the full run. I also think that unless you are a savant that it isn't very likely that you see two cards in different parts of the pack and realize that someone in the last three people took the pacifism and you shouldn't draft white, but here we are having this discussion about how it affects drafting anyway. The point that two cards are often near one another and how that changes your chances to wheel one of them is probably valid, though.

If I had to guess, the cards are grouped up based on how they appear on the print sheet. These groups are assembled by sticking some of them into others and then making a very long stack of these chains and then just taking the top 8 cards off the stack for the next booster. There might not even be that much effort put into it honestly and they may just stack them up. As long as the groups are smaller than 8 you should see some variation in the packs as you peel the top 2-3 cards off of a run and leave the remaining for the next run to bookend the full group that follows. Logistically they really can't spend too much time assuring a truly random distribution when the print run is in a fixed and known distribution. Having a truly random distribution also allows for things like the all pacifism pack, however unlikely, or the fabled "All boulderfall" pack.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There was a bunch of stuff about how Ugin never wanted to kill the eldrazi because it would just free them, I assume killing them will prove to have been a terrible idea in time

• Locked thread