Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea, I think that was it.

I'm working on memories of watching it on tv as a kid, so the plot points are completely unknown to me, either forgotten by time or just not paying attention when I was watching.

I just have this mental image of this glass bell jar on a bitchin' COBRA base with these big red crystal spires in there. They looked pretty awesome.

Yeah, I just remember those parts I posted. I remember Baroness screaming about heavy water.

Now I want someone to make really detailed figures from the Cobra La storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I remember they needed the lava that Wild Bill got, some heavy water stuff from the bottom of the ocean with those tubeworms and the red crystals. That was the best show.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I can't remember if it's that miniseries or the weather controller where Destro aims the weapon at the ground and escapes on a helicopter after declaring something along the lines of "Fools, it will destroy the world!". Apparently a helicopter is the perfect defense against that.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TouchToneDialing posted:

If you got our hands on a good 3D model then used Shapeways to print the pieces, it wouldn't be that hard to do. Iv been getting into custom figures a lot lately and was thinking about doing a 40k Orc with the main parts being 3D printed and the base figure being a random marvel legends for the joints.

Better off buying some Revoltech joints if you are going to add them in. Cheaper, easier to get and integrate as well.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've been holding out hope for years that Hasbro would make G.I. Joe "Black" or G.I. Joe "Legends" -- highly detailed, super-articulated 6" figures with tons of accessories that fit in with Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black. All I wanted were a Baroness (one of my first childhood crushes, along with Elvira, Mistress of the Dark -- so yes, I have a type) and a heavily-armed Snake Eyes (with swappable heads with his goggles and visor) with guns and swords and knives, and holsters and scabbards for all of them.

Never gonna happen, but I think people would have happily bought those. Round out the wave with Cobra Commander (swappable hooded and helmeted heads), Storm Shadow, and another Joe, and they would have had a hit on their hands.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man, a 6" BAT would be awesome.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've been holding out hope for years that Hasbro would make G.I. Joe "Black" or G.I. Joe "Legends" -- highly detailed, super-articulated 6" figures with tons of accessories that fit in with Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black. All I wanted were a Baroness (one of my first childhood crushes, along with Elvira, Mistress of the Dark -- so yes, I have a type) and a heavily-armed Snake Eyes (with swappable heads with his goggles and visor) with guns and swords and knives, and holsters and scabbards for all of them.

Never gonna happen, but I think people would have happily bought those. Round out the wave with Cobra Commander (swappable hooded and helmeted heads), Storm Shadow, and another Joe, and they would have had a hit on their hands.

There was a rumor going around pretty heavily that Hasbro privately showed 6 inch Joes to some people and they wowed. The problem is retailers were a burned so badly by the awful movie toys that they won't touch new stuff unless it is supported by something; a rebooted movie or television series which this was not a part of.

I think that a easy win for them is to just take the old Marvel comics and turn them into a new cartoon. All of that stuff for the most part is pretty well written and received, doesn't exactly glamorize war and as things like Call of Duty has proven I don't think you have to modernize things and bring it to current time to be successful. Leave it in Vietnam and the 1980s.

Alas this is Hollywood we are talking about. They think Deadpool was successful because of cursing and Dick jokes, not because it was a incredibly faithful adaptation of something people already liked.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Djarum posted:

There was a rumor going around pretty heavily that Hasbro privately showed 6 inch Joes to some people and they wowed. The problem is retailers were a burned so badly by the awful movie toys that they won't touch new stuff unless it is supported by something; a rebooted movie or television series which this was not a part of.

I think that a easy win for them is to just take the old Marvel comics and turn them into a new cartoon. All of that stuff for the most part is pretty well written and received, doesn't exactly glamorize war and as things like Call of Duty has proven I don't think you have to modernize things and bring it to current time to be successful. Leave it in Vietnam and the 1980s.

Alas this is Hollywood we are talking about. They think Deadpool was successful because of cursing and Dick jokes, not because it was a incredibly faithful adaptation of something people already liked.

That sucks. I'd buy a nice 6" Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow in a loving instant.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Agrias120 posted:

That sucks. I'd buy a nice 6" Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow in a loving instant.

You already can -- https://articulated-icons-the-feudal-series-ninja-action-f.backerkit.com/overlay_preorders

Buy the deluxe white ninja, black modern ninja, and the arm pack.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

therealjon_ posted:

You already can -- https://articulated-icons-the-feudal-series-ninja-action-f.backerkit.com/overlay_preorders

Buy the deluxe white ninja, black modern ninja, and the arm pack.

Oh poo poo, I don't think I've seen these before. Thanks!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Also, I know I'm the only one that collects WWE figures, but there've been a couple fantastic 6" Sgt Slaughter toys in Mattel's WWE line if that helps.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Re: G.I. Joe. They most certainly did do lines based on the M.A.S.S Device and The Weather Dominator. They came in figure packs with various pieces to build the things. They even came with DVDs of the mini series.

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/08/massdevice/

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/08/weatherdominator/

They also did ones based on the Serpentor mini-series, and a best of the 80s episodes

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Canopus250 posted:

Speaking of which is GI Joe pretty much dead in the water right now? I know they still have a some of the collector club stuff for this year but are they waiting to see if another movie/show happens? A bunch of the stuff after the 25th anniversary were pretty baller. I still have the Destro from Resolute on my desk on at work.

More crap is coming

So, there are more things coming down the eventual road. The recent movies and TV shows have all sucked a fat dong, so I'm not excited by any of that. I'm also not a fan of the line, out of the package. The figures look nice, but honestly, they just don't measure up to the 80s line. In my hands, they just feel lighter and cheaper. Posing them is like working with an old piece of chewing gum.

Now, the vast majority of stuff released over the last year or two is Convention- or Collector's Club-exclusive. There's a Pythona coming this year, along with tons of other stuff. If you're serious about the line, you're already in those subscriptions.

Regarding the retail lines based on the movies/shows, or revival of the 80s stuff, you can still find plenty of figures at TRU or Wal-Mart or whatever, all reasonably priced - including vehicles and troop builder sets.

Now, Toy Fair revealed that the Loyal Subjects are creating more of the bobblehead-looking Muggs-style figures (not actually bobbleheads, mind you), that are poseable. Those, I'm excited about - plus there are vehicles and playsets. They're doing MOTU as well.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Djarum posted:

Better off buying some Revoltech joints if you are going to add them in. Cheaper, easier to get and integrate as well.

I ordered bulk Revoltech joints from China before planning to do just that and it ended up being a huge pain not having a base body to work off of and having to figure out all the joint bending angles. Some random bucky cap Marvel legends body will cost you $5 bucks off Kijiji/Craigslist/Ebay and will save you a ton of time and effort.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
This is weird, right? It's not just me?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I thought the movie was Zootopia?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

therealjon_ posted:

I thought the movie was Zootopia?

I'm guessing it's an international title. The package is bilingual so maybe Canadian or something. But yes everything about that movie and the marketing is pretty messed up.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No different than the bird warriors or whatever teh gently caress people were fawning over.

Still dumb tho.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

No different than the bird warriors or whatever teh gently caress people were fawning over.

Still dumb tho.

A more appropriate response for deer warriors.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

I'm guessing it's an international title. The package is bilingual so maybe Canadian or something. But yes everything about that movie and the marketing is pretty messed up.

It's Zootopia in French here too.

It's Zootropolis in Europe though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hahahaha I got the DKR Superman!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

You mean the MOTUC superman, right? ;) It's glorious, isn't it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Why on earth would they make figures of Miller's hideous art?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why on earth would they make figures of Miller's hideous art?

That the best part, they didn't, he's just a beautiful chunky as gently caress MOTUC superman!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Why cookie Rocket posted:

That the best part, they didn't, he's just a beautiful chunky as gently caress MOTUC superman!

Well his head is... Stylized, to say the least. They were obviously trying to capture Miller's art. I don't know if you would say they succeeded or not.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Travis343 posted:

Well his head is... Stylized, to say the least. They were obviously trying to capture Miller's art. I don't know if you would say they succeeded or not.

I'm not even sure they were trying to do that, honestly. Compared to the DC Direct DKR Superman (not to mention the comic) it's just totally different. I'm going to continue to believe that the Multiverse DKR Superman and Batman figures are intentionally off-model to better fit with MOTUC stuff. The last Mattel DKR Batman was great, so they CAN nail it when they want to...

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Does he look like Reagan?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Also, I know I'm the only one that collects WWE figures, but there've been a couple fantastic 6" Sgt Slaughter toys in Mattel's WWE line if that helps.

Can you recommend a good Ultimate Warrior figure?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

cyberia posted:

This is the lamest part of collecting wrestling figures-- if I want to show you a Transformer, I'd go to tfu.info. If I want to show you a Star Wars figure, I'd go to Jedibusiness. Most stereotypes about wrestling fans are true, and they definitely don't have the focus to put together comprehensive and well-organized site that shows every figure ever made. One of the reasons is that there are SO MANY versions of pretty much every wrestler ever-- do you want something super-articulated? Do you like a cartoony face sculpt or a neutral face sculpt? Is there a particular outfit you like? Honestly, especially with a guy as popular was Ultimate Warrior, your biggest issue is being spoiled for choice. Here's a few cool ones:

Here's a good basic figure: http://www.amazon.com/Champions-Ult...ltimate+warrior
Here's one that's a little cartoonier: http://www.amazon.com/WWE-Classic-U...ltimate+warrior
Here's a much cheaper option: http://www.amazon.com/Wrestling-Cha...ltimate+warrior
But this is probably what you're after-- good articulation, good sculpt, hasn't gone way way up in price: http://www.amazon.com/Wrestling-Eli...ltimate+warrior

Of course, ebay will be much cheaper on any of these. The search keywords you'll want to stick with are "elite" or "deluxe" of you want good articulation.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

cyberia posted:

I'm happy with my Hall of Fame Ultimate Warrior.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Went to Walmart today and they don't even have a section for the BvS stuff and the newest marvel legends they had were the Allfather wave. It looked like they were getting ready for a refresh though.

I've missed SpiderGwen at both targets so I was expanding my net.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Of course, ebay will be much cheaper on any of these. The search keywords you'll want to stick with are "elite" or "deluxe" of you want good articulation.

Grant DaNasty posted:

I'm happy with my Hall of Fame Ultimate Warrior.

Thanks, guys. I had my eye on the Hall of Fame figure so that's probably the one I'll go with. I also saw a bootleg on eBay that was the Warrior with no facepaint that I'm tempted to get just for the weirdness of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Found out today that Diamond allocated our cases of the Absorbing Man wave. I need a Gwen and Venom for customers and a Ben Reilly for myself. If anybody can help me out I would owe you big time.

Daaku Shinsei
Feb 26, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Went to Walmart today and they don't even have a section for the BvS stuff and the newest marvel legends they had were the Allfather wave. It looked like they were getting ready for a refresh though.

I've missed SpiderGwen at both targets so I was expanding my net.

Both my Walmarts are refreshing, but my Target ain't got anything but Allfather, Green Goblin, and Thanos. But mostly Allfather

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

cyberia posted:

Thanks, guys. I had my eye on the Hall of Fame figure so that's probably the one I'll go with. I also saw a bootleg on eBay that was the Warrior with no facepaint that I'm tempted to get just for the weirdness of it.

For the record, that's also the one I recommended most highly. ;) I REALLY like Mattel's "yelling" faced-Warrior, though, so it'll never be my top pick.

If that bootleg costs much at all, just know that you can take the paint off WWE figures really easily with a little acetone (which is also cheap).

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Found out today that Diamond allocated our cases of the Absorbing Man wave. I need a Gwen and Venom for customers and a Ben Reilly for myself. If anybody can help me out I would owe you big time.

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Legend...+marvel+legends

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huh. Was $30 when I checked this afternoon.

Now conjure up Gwen & Venom at that price.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If you want a good Spider-Gwen, wait for the Bishoujo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a Femme Fatale one just announced too, with a less anime look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

boom boom boom posted:

If you want a good Spider-Gwen, wait for the Bishoujo

That ain't no Goddamn action figure.