Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sleeveless posted:

This season of X-Files is amazing, it's somehow managed to have both one of the best episodes the show has ever had and one of the worst episodes the show has ever had. All within two episodes of each other.

its sort of a perfect return to form in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Brick is just a weird rear end movie with noir detective dialogue. Really creative but not really something I want to watch again.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Brick is an old fashioned crime noir movie. It's just set in a highschool, and the script makes as little mention of that fact as possible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
By the way, Happy Valley is back, so those of you who don't remember the joys of me obsessing over the best British drama in years and years (sorry Peaky Blinders you're a close second place) back in 2014 are gonna get it now

Premiere was fantastic - I actually didn't want it to get a season 2 because it was intended as a miniseries and only got commissioned again because it was popular, but I was sold within the first minute - and FFFFFF-I can see how it's already building towards being as unbearably intense as season 1 was at its best moments.

Watch this show people. Seasons are six hour-long episodes and well worth your time and only one person actually watched it last time because all y'all are jerks. Now I'm gonna go watch episode 2 eeeeeeeeeeee excitement

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

By the way, Happy Valley is back, so those of you who don't remember the joys of me obsessing over the best British drama in years and years (sorry Peaky Blinders you're a close second place) back in 2014 are gonna get it now

My mate told me about this a while back and I ignored him. I might check it out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So apparently David Milch gambled away all his money: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/david-milch-made-100m-gambled-866184

quote:

Judging from the accounts of several men and women who know him well, he is a person of extreme talent but also extreme behavior. Now a lawsuit, which was filed last year and is proceeding in Los Angeles Superior Court in Santa Monica, indicates that he lost $25 million from gambling between 2000 and 2011 alone. Colleagues estimate he has earned more than $100 million across his three-decade Hollywood career, but the lawsuit reveals he is left with $17 million in debts.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So that's why he was so loving interested in horse racing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd like to thank the thread in advance for it's forbearance on Luck related puns.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

zoux posted:

I'd like to thank the thread in advance for it's forbearance on Luck related puns.

I think that would require that someone, somewhere, had ever watched Luck.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

boom boom boom posted:

I think that would require that someone, somewhere, had ever watched Luck.

Way to beat a dead horse in regards to its ratings.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

You son of a bitch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bobkatt013 posted:

It's the glue that holds everything together.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

You son of a bitch.

*mare

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Milch was on a talk show called Dinner for Five and all his stories were about getting drunk and buying hundreds of lotto tickets and speeding down sunset boulevard.

Also when he was in Yale he was in the same fraternity as George W Bush. Apparently Bush was the leader of the frat and a chill guy.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
Last night's Nikki Glaser was kind of :yikes: but still hilarious.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
https://twitter.com/moryan/status/700007197443559425?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Oof.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I loved Boardwalk Empire but Vinyl just looks like such a "hey aren't the 70s wild, look at all this sex n drugs CRAZY RIGHT????" type of show, that's not really interesting in and of itself

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Like that one guy says premiering it on the same night TWD came back was a dumb move.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey someone make a bad pun joke about Vinyl going out of style.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

I've read a couple of reviews that expressed disappointment that it was another version of the kind of cable antihero drama that's in such short supply these days, and those complaints aren't without merit. By the end of the first episode, it's basically set up to be a coke-fueled Mad Men set in the New York music industry in the 70s.

It comes to this: does that sound good to you? Do you trust the guy who made Boardwalk Empire to make you feel it was worth a 10 hour investment? Or are you already rolling your eyes in boredom?

PS: The co-creator of Banshee pitched in on at least one episode of this show, though sadly I don't think it will involve Bobby Cannavale ripping apart some dude's hand in a pitched fistfight.

This is huge praise. I'll check out the first episode.

EDIT: I mean I'll give it a spin.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess the needle finally dropped for HBO dramas

no that doesn't work does it

e: maybe this show's premiere was just a blip and the next HBO drama will do better. like a needle skip.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Could just be that we're done collectively going nuts over near-past period dramas about X industry.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Obviously it would've been more popular if switched out Jagger with a Beatle.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

IRQ posted:

Could just be that we're done collectively going nuts over near-past period dramas about X industry.

Don't you count out my Daryl F. Zanuck five season dream project you son of a bitch

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I quite enjoy Michael Portillo's documentaries about railways. They are very relaxing.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

I loved Boardwalk Empire but Vinyl just looks like such a "hey aren't the 70s wild, look at all this sex n drugs CRAZY RIGHT????" type of show, that's not really interesting in and of itself

"hey aren't the 20s wild, look at all these crazy gangsters and guns and poo poo CRAZY RIGHT????". Why boil shows down to this? Are you saying that you think that's all the show will be about? Of course that's not interesting in and of itself, but good storytelling with that as a backdrop does look interesting (I'm not saying the shows story is going to be amazing, I'm just pointing out that it's dumb to assume there isn't any).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

xcore posted:

"hey aren't the 20s wild, look at all these crazy gangsters and guns and poo poo CRAZY RIGHT????". Why boil shows down to this? Are you saying that you think that's all the show will be about? Of course that's not interesting in and of itself, but good storytelling with that as a backdrop does look interesting (I'm not saying the shows story is going to be amazing, I'm just pointing out that it's dumb to assume there isn't any).

I'm saying that's the reason I didn't tune in for the first episode. If it turns out that it gets good word of mouth I'll check it out later on, but nothing about how they've marketed it appeals to me

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

xcore posted:

That's a pretty good description of Boardwalk Empire, even before Peak TV became a thing it felt like the Sam's Cola version of an actual good HBO drama.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sleeveless posted:

That's a pretty good description of Boardwalk Empire, even before Peak TV became a thing it felt like the Sam's Cola version of an actual good HBO drama.

It's actually excellent and has one of the best hours of television ever aired, hth

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I think I liked Boardwalk mostly because of that specific era, gangsters notwithstanding;I was more intrigued by something set in the roaring 20's, early prohibition rather.

I mean I have faith in Terrance Winter that it will be good but nothing specific about Vinyl seems to grab me at all and all this talk about the premiere being a real slog to get through. That and the whole tortured rich middle aged white male dramas, I think I checked out of that after Mad Men.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Boardwalk Empire was pretty great. Nearly every season I'd get to about Episode 4 and think "i don't think i like how this is going, is this the season I give up on it?" and come episodes 8/9/10 when all the chess pieces are in place and it all comes together it made me giddy and I'd appreciate all the work that went in to constructing it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

It's actually excellent and has one of the best hours of television ever aired, hth

Seasons 2-3 were awesome but otherwise I'd say the guy is right

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I'd rather watch the worst episode of Boardwalk Empire than another minute of True Detective season 2 (gave up after 2 episodes)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well yeah but that season is almost unanimously considered totally awful. BE is, at its worst, 'only good', if that makes sense.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
True Detective season 2 was so bad that HBO's president of programming actually called it a failure and took the blame for it.

Michael Lombardo posted:

I’ll tell you something. Our biggest failures — and I don’t know if I would consider “True Detective 2” — but when we tell somebody to hit an air date as opposed to allowing the writing to find its own natural resting place, when it’s ready, when it’s baked — we’ve failed. And I think in this particular case, the first season of “True Detective” was something that Nic Pizzolatto had been thinking about, gestating, for a long period of time. He’s a soulful writer. I think what we did was go, “Great.” And I take the blame. I became too much of a network executive at that point. We had huge success. “Gee, I’d love to repeat that next year.”

Well, you know what? I set him up. To deliver, in a very short time frame, something that became very challenging to deliver. That’s not what that show is. He had to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. Find his muse. And so I think that’s what I learned from it. Don’t do that anymore.

And I’d love to have the enviable certainty of knowing what my next year looks like. I could pencil things in. But I’m not going to start betting on them until the scripts are done.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah when Richard Harrow cleans out the hotel. Not the crappy Michael Pitt character.

The worst HBO show of all time is either Entourage or Arli$$

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sorry Occ but I gotta agree with Mu here. s3 finale > s2 finale, even though I get your reasoning re not pussying out of the obvious choice although they probably set him up to die from the beginning of the season because Michael Pitt is a oval office

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pretty much the same thing happened in Hannibal so I'm inclined to agree the person is a real oval office

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Escobarbarian posted:

Like that one guy says premiering it on the same night TWD came back was a dumb move.

bcs also came back this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah when Richard Harrow cleans out the hotel. Not the crappy Michael Pitt character.

The worst HBO show of all time is either Entourage or Arli$$

Look how wrong you are.

• Locked thread