Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Zweihander01 posted:

And the main character isn't some Bibleman standin for Jesus, either. She's insecure and anxious and has no idea what she is or how her talents really work. If she's supposed to be Jesus then it's a hell of a fresh take on him instead of being another Aslan or Gandalf leader-type. I still think she literally has No Face, though.
Maybe she's a leper or something?

but all this buildup better have some payoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Just a really bad case of acne actually.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

And cannibal elves hate pepperoni.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Zweihander01 posted:

After binging Daughter of the Lilies I don't really mind if it's got some Christian influences. The bizarre alien angel/vision/aura/whatever is what gives me a good feeling; the people who remember how terrifyingly psychedelic and hosed up angels are supposed to be tend to be pretty knowledgeable and level-headed, as opposed to the White Jesus types. And I gave Kill Six Billion Demons a pass for being pretty heavily inspired by Buddhism and all.

Depictions of angels that are something more than jrpg villains are seriously underrated. "Do not be afraid" is a badass entry. The vaguely robotic angels in KSBD are also really creative.

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 16, 2016

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Zweihander01 posted:

After binging Daughter of the Lilies I don't really mind if it's got some Christian influences. The bizarre alien angel/vision/aura/whatever is what gives me a good feeling; the people who remember how terrifyingly psychedelic and hosed up angels are supposed to be tend to be pretty knowledgeable and level-headed, as opposed to the White Jesus types. And I gave Kill Six Billion Demons a pass for being pretty heavily inspired by Buddhism and all.

And the main character isn't some Bibleman standin for Jesus, either. She's insecure and anxious and has no idea what she is or how her talents really work. If she's supposed to be Jesus then it's a hell of a fresh take on him instead of being another Aslan or Gandalf leader-type.

I still think she literally has No Face, though.

Yeah, I agree with this. We wont know how things turn out until she finishes the comic, but I have a feeling that the comic is going to end up stronger because of her views rather than the opposite. As was mentioned, its otherwise a generic-ish fantasy comic (Nothing wrong with that and I happen to like them anyways, but there are quite a few of those out there) but if she handles it well, this could be an interesting angle on it.

As Zweihander mentioned, It does make things more interesting that she is going for a terrifying and otherworldly interpretation for her alien angel or whatever it is. The messed up looking angels are definitely the best ones. She is a pretty good creature designer.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Zweihander01 posted:

And the main character isn't some Bibleman standin for Jesus, either. She's insecure and anxious and has no idea what she is or how her talents really work. If she's supposed to be Jesus then it's a hell of a fresh take on him instead of being another Aslan or Gandalf leader-type.

One possibility is that she is, herself, an angel. A lily is symbolic of innocence - that's why they're common at funerals, as the soul of the departed is said to regain its innocence in death. People react to her appearance with confusion and fear, but that doesn't need to be a result of ugliness; there are plenty of ways of being unnatural and terrifying people.

Another is the she's one of their universe's equivalent of the Lilim, which would be an interesting play on words. (The children of Lilith, Adam's first wife, are something like demons.)

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Zweihander01 posted:

I feel the same way, and I'm interested in seeing where the author takes the story. The crazy-looking alien/angel gave me some pretty good vibes, and I like Thistle's character a lot so far.

Also, like Rangpur, I immediately started reading solely because of Orrig, I'm way into orcs being not-bad guys. The rest of the crew doesn't seem very developed yet, but then again, there hasn't been enough comic for them to get too much screen time yet. I'm not super keen on Lyra so far, but I think that could change.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I finally read the artist's post, and I know how she feels. If you're a Christian in the US, and you want fiction with Christian themes, your options are usually either "Christian Fiction," which is largely made by and for Evangelicals; or a renowned but limited supply of non-Evangelicals like Tolkien, Lewis, L'Engle, O'Connor, Chesterton, and Dostoevsky; or Mormons. I just became Orthodox, and I've only ever seen one comic written from that point of view (an adaptation by a couple of priests of Revelation), and hardly any fantasy at all.

And anyway, she likes Unsounded and Gunnerkrigg. That suggests she's good people in my book. I might just have to give this comic a shot.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
unsounded? dang

that does suggest an open mind

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So, posting comics.

I've been following Never Satisfied since it was earlier linked to in this thread, and I love this page.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The ghost webcomic chat was a little while back, but it looks like there's a ghost who needs busting in Badnix.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh goddamnit of course

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

So, posting comics.

I've been following Never Satisfied since it was earlier linked to in this thread, and I love this page.

Look at that goddamn echidna. What a majestic bastard.

Also, a lesson in lovely mothers:

nothings
Sep 29, 2008
Former thread favorite Anders Loves Maria redraw/reboot or something:

Rene on twitter posted:

Obviously there will be no comments on the site because spoilers, but be warned: there will be some changes this time round, big and small.

The original archive will be put online to read as well. As soon as I can figure out how to repair the damaged old wordpress.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
caught back up on stand still stay silent and it looks like the action is heating up again

this is not the most recent update of stand still stay silent, but it's pretty close and the most significant/least context-dependent

e: also, unsounded is back

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 17, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i catch up on that comic once every month or so, and (a) it's still incredibly slow and (b) I seriously cannot tell half the characters apart

the nordic aesthetic...

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
^^^ You know, I actually didn't notice that the one redhead was a chick until I saw someone in the comments section mention it. Normally this is a problem I only have with anime.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasingFungus posted:

i catch up on that comic once every month or so, and (a) it's still incredibly slow and (b) I seriously cannot tell half the characters apart

the nordic aesthetic...

i personally feel the author does a pretty good job of differentiating the characters? there's a lot of face/body diversity

other than every single person in surviving civilization being white as gently caress anyway :v:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah IDK how you could confuse the core team, the old farts back at the base and what languages people are supposed to be speaking/able to understand are another story but they barely matter anyway

it is pretty slow-moving tho, I don't have a huge problem with that since it's mostly about rad art and exploring an empty world but it's probably worth just holding off and archive-diving

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pavlov posted:

^^^ You know, I actually didn't notice that the one redhead was a chick until I saw someone in the comments section mention it. Normally this is a problem I only have with anime.

Same. I remember watching an anime (I can't remember the name, it wasn't spectacular anyway) three episodes in and only realized the two lead men were not the same person until they held a conversation in the same room. It blew my goddamn mind.

Anyway, does anyone know if Megg, Mogg, and Owl is updating? It's been a really long time since I've seen a new one posted.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Tollymain posted:

i personally feel the author does a pretty good job of differentiating the characters? there's a lot of face/body diversity

other than every single person in surviving civilization being white as gently caress anyway :v:

like, for example:

q: how often have I confused these two characters?

a: basically every time they show up

I actually had to read through the relevant page several times before I realized there were two different characters there...

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Plethora posted:

Same. I remember watching an anime (I can't remember the name, it wasn't spectacular anyway) three episodes in and only realized the two lead men were not the same person until they held a conversation in the same room. It blew my goddamn mind.

Anyway, does anyone know if Megg, Mogg, and Owl is updating? It's been a really long time since I've seen a new one posted.

I think Megg Mogg and Owl isn't a webcomic so much as it is a pencil+paper comic that the creator posts some pages of on tumblr sometimes. I think the creator is one of those stapled-together 'zine type people who makes physical comics for whatever small real-life audience they may find.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
simon hanselmann works for vice now actually

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasingFungus posted:

like, for example:

I actually had to read through the relevant page several times before I realized there were two different characters there...

they have similar noses and hair color, literally everything else is different

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Also published by Fanta: http://www.fantagraphics.com/megahex/

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

PleasingFungus posted:

like, for example:

Which one is the guy

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
okay that's fair

alternative answer: human males and females don't look nearly as different as western culture has led you to believe

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I'm usually pretty good at differentiating them IRL.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

He was working for them but stopped back half way through last year. I think he is focusing on putting together more comics/books and hasn't really bothered to post any strips to his tumblr for awhile now.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Tollymain posted:

okay that's fair

alternative answer: human males and females don't look nearly as different as western culture has led you to believe

You're just reminding me of that Jojo cover where there's like three different men and women next to each other and they all have the exact same face (I mean Jojo rules and it's clearly a deliberate stylistic decision, but it's still weird.) Like let's not get carried away sameface isn't necessarily a gamebreaker but it's not that realistic either.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jackard posted:

Which one is the guy

The freckled one.

They really don't look that much alike, but the gender confusion isn't helped by the fact that the male's a scrawny-rear end shepherd with a four-foot long braid and the female's a dour military officer.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 18, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

The freckled one.

They really don't look that much alike, but the gender confusion isn't helped by the fact that the male's a scrawny-rear end shepard with a four-foot long braid and the female's a dour military officer.

oh, huh. honestly thought that character was a guy. the driver's brother (the scout) also threw me off for a while in the other direction.

it also probably doesn't help that everyone's covered in a minimum of three layers of all clothes at all times, owing to their presence in a subarctic hellscape.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pavlov posted:

I'm usually pretty good at differentiating them IRL.

how much does that have to do with gender norms though? put them in the same sort of clothing with the same hairstyle and no makeup, you're going to find that humans form a pretty consistent spectrum from one extreme to the other and the middle is not nearly as underpopulated as you might guess

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey I found it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's an unfair criticism, but Minna Sundberg's dialogue reads exactly like every long-form webcomic. Like it's what I imagine when I think "webcomics that are not gag-a-day".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Also, the character designs aren't just a bit dull, they seem to have deteriorated, even if they fit the aesthetic.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 17, 2016

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

mycot posted:

Hey I found it.

This is brilliant. I refuse to believe it isn't intentional.

It's no secret that manga & anime are plagued with same-face to the point that it's considered "part of the style", and by drawing the characters slightly more detailed it points out how absurd that concept is.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Tollymain posted:

how much does that have to do with gender norms though? put them in the same sort of clothing with the same hairstyle and no makeup, you're going to find that humans form a pretty consistent spectrum from one extreme to the other and the middle is not nearly as underpopulated as you might guess

Nah, IRL people have a lot of tiny features hat help you determine sex. The human brain is really well optimized for that. Ain't perfect but pretty good. Cartoony art-styles just get most of those lost in translation. See: anime.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

how can you not tell two characters apart when one has prominent freckles and one doesn't have any freckles

like regardless of anything else that's a hard thing to miss!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FlyinPingu posted:

how can you not tell two characters apart when one has prominent freckles and one doesn't have any freckles

like regardless of anything else that's a hard thing to miss!!

yeah, it's a bit silly to mix those too

but i think that she has simplified character design on purpose, so that she can poo poo out a billion comics every week

• Locked thread