Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Speaking of retard dentists, what's up with Dalhousie gentlemen's club? Did all those motherfuckers graduate and find jobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

PT6A posted:

Oh hey, remember when Calgary removed fluoride from its drinking water, a campaign led by Druh "The Biggest, Dumbest oval office Ever" Farrell? Guess what happened: the thing that everyone should've loving known would happen!

http://www.660news.com/2016/02/17/tooth-decay-up-in-calgary-after-city-takes-fluoride-out-of-water/

The anti-fluoridation idiots are out in force on Facebook and comment threads about this latest public health debacle. I eagerly await their next crusade - perhaps against iodized salt or folic acid, since clearly what this country has been lacking is an epidemic of birth defects.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

Speaking of retard dentists, what's up with Dalhousie gentlemen's club? Did all those motherfuckers graduate and find jobs?

quote:

'The university has been advised that many members of the Facebook Group have secured employment as dentists, which would require licensure," Gomery said in an email.

"To date only one licensing board has contacted Dalhousie for information about a student who belonged to the Facebook Group," she said.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks

David Corbett posted:

The anti-fluoridation idiots are out in force on Facebook and comment threads about this latest public health debacle. I eagerly await their next crusade - perhaps against iodized salt or folic acid, since clearly what this country has been lacking is an epidemic of birth defects.

“Ever since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun. ... "

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Albino Squirrel posted:

Medicine is a collection of autists, greedy sumbitches, and burnt-out idealists, seasoned with the occasional pants-on-head retard.

Fortunately we have dentists and engineers to make us look good.

:raise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOtMizMQ6oM

Engineers think having a secret decoder ring gives them special powers.

Also being a doctor doesnt make you smart at everything, just like any other field of study. This doctor clearly was playing a PR game, nothing more. That makes him a bad person, not necessarily a dumb one.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Evan Solomon is a fantastic writer :allears:

quote:

No one saw it coming. On a Wednesday caucus day, Trudeau looked into the eyes of people who had served the party for decades, many working side by side with his own father, and quickly pulled the blade across their necks. The senators were dazed. Senate Leader James Cowan faced the public with his guts still hanging out, mumbling hollowly that the decision was “courageous.” Like amputees suffering from phantom limb syndrome, the one-time Liberal senators could still not believe what they had lost: the body itself.

The metaphor switches four times across four sentences!

Justin Trudeau either: slit the throats of, disemboweled, amputated, or disembodied the LPC Senators.

quote:

I asked why Trudeau didn’t warn them in advance as a courtesy: why the shock butchery? The adviser explained that this was more than just about Senate reform; it was a signal about the man who was in charge. A killer.

JT butchered the Senators to show he was a killer.

quote:

For the last 100 days, Trudeau has tried to manoeuvre around the Maginot line of political cynicism with a blitzkrieg of empathy, the likes of which we have never seen, feeling the pain of every person, province and program. All we have now is the romance.

This is some sub-Paikin level poo poo.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Burn the Senate to the ground.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ikantski posted:

Financial planners: Government pensions, like teachers pension and other union pensions, are a private fund. I can't buy $10k worth of ORPP and trade it. I was calling a public fund something the public can buy like a mutual fund or ETF. Of course pension fund managers are going to tear down mutual funds and vice versa.

I don't get how you trust the ORPP, which is at arm's length but headed by a longtime OLP bureaucrat, to be arm's length. You've got Trudeau campaigning in person for the OLP and you think Saad Rafi is going to make impartial decisions when Trudeau and Wynne start asking pensions to invest in their infrastructure, http://ca.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idCAKCN0VJ2GW

I'm not really sure the two are comparable. And of those two groups of people one group doesn't charge absurd administration fees to manage people's money. I'll let you figure out which it is.

Pension law and pensions are complicated for a reason: because there have been lots of shenanigans in the past with pension funds, and there's been a ton of legislation to prevent what you're talking about. Those laws haven't been ignored yet, but if you don't trust the laws to be enforced when it comes to managing pension funds in this province or in this country you must have a daily freak-out about CPP since you started paying into it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/rachel-notley-s-ndp-lifts-ban-on-the-rebel-says-it-made-a-mistake-1.3451838?cmp=rss

Rachel Notley's NDP lifts ban on The Rebel, says it made a mistake

Alberta government said last week that journalists from conservative news site 'are not journalists'

:sigh:

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/auto-loan-debt-transunion-1.3451682?cmp=rss

Auto loan delinquency spikes in Alberta, Saskatchewan

Credit agency TransUnion points to non-mortgage debt defaults in oil-producing provinces

Prob should be in housing thread, but I'll leave this here too

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

They really bungled this one up by giving them the oxygen of oxygen.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Burn the Senate to the ground.

I'd like it to be an actual chamber of sober second thought where things get looked at to see if they're legal and actually do what they say they're supposed to do what effects they're likely to have published where everyone can read the results. Would have cut down on the legal bills for all that unconstitutional legislation that was struck down by the Supreme Court.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Anyone 30-40 years old in Canada had better get their financial poo poo together because their parents on average will not be passing on wealth in contrast with the previous generation. Next two decades will see a considerable contraction of the middle class and probably Canada becoming more like the US in terms of inequality. I expect certain provinces to start dismantling their single payer health care systems soon.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

eNeMeE posted:

I'd like it to be an actual chamber of sober second thought where things get looked at to see if they're legal and actually do what they say they're supposed to do what effects they're likely to have published where everyone can read the results. Would have cut down on the legal bills for all that unconstitutional legislation that was struck down by the Supreme Court.
No one in Parliament or the Senate has read or written legislation in decades. Industry figures out what they want, they hire lawyers to write the legislation and then hire lobbyists to target specific members of government to support and introduce the legislation.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Dreylad posted:

I'm not really sure the two are comparable. And of those two groups of people one group doesn't charge absurd administration fees to manage people's money. I'll let you figure out which it is.

Pension law and pensions are complicated for a reason: because there have been lots of shenanigans in the past with pension funds, and there's been a ton of legislation to prevent what you're talking about. Those laws haven't been ignored yet, but if you don't trust the laws to be enforced when it comes to managing pension funds in this province or in this country you must have a daily freak-out about CPP since you started paying into it.

Mutual funds charge ~1.25% and CPP management costs are 1.07%? I don't see any either group as uniquely absurd, at least with public funds I can pick and choose (I personally prefer passive ETFs that run around 0.15%). You're telling me that you believe that the government that is selling off 15% of Hydro One a year for 32 days of relief from debt interest payments really cares about the long term finances of Ontarians?

There's a really simple law about deleting government emails and another one about not bribing election candidates, I don't think OLP thought twice about them. I don't freak out about CPP. I freak out about electricity costs. Which is something this government has(had?) almost complete control over and should be focusing on.

It would definitely be smart politics for the OLP to turn the 2018 election into a question of whether pensions are good and all the better for them if the deduction hasn't appeared on people's paycheques yet..

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

cowofwar posted:

No one in Parliament or the Senate has read or written legislation in decades. Industry figures out what they want, they hire lawyers to write the legislation and then hire lobbyists to target specific members of government to support and introduce the legislation.

I don't disbelieve you, but do you or does anyone else have a concrete example of this happening? I'd like to be able to whip this out in debates.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

cowofwar posted:

Anyone 30-40 years old in Canada had better get their financial poo poo together because their parents on average will not be passing on wealth in contrast with the previous generation. Next two decades will see a considerable contraction of the middle class and probably Canada becoming more like the US in terms of inequality. I expect certain provinces to start dismantling their single payer health care systems soon.

Seems a little extreme doesn't it?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

I love people who are saying THIS IS DESPICABLE TO BAN FREE SPEECH of noted defamer Ezra Levant.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

eNeMeE posted:

Sounds like what you want is to beef up PBO. If what you want is policy analysis, hire staff, don't appoint people to a legislative body.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Pinterest Mom posted:

Sounds like what you want is to beef up PBO. If what you want is policy analysis, hire staff, don't appoint people give lifetime gold plated salary/pensioned patronage appointments to a legislative body.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

Sounds like what you want is to beef up PBO. If what you want is policy analysis, hire staff, don't appoint people to a legislative body.

Except the PBO can't send legislation back. The PBO is great and would be a major factor in what I want ... well, what I want is as likely to work as any other ideal scenario.

So not at all.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Kraftwerk posted:

Seems a little extreme doesn't it?

The Canada Health Accord is still expired so the provinces are open to do whatever the gently caress they want with healthcare now.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Weird BIAS posted:

I love people who are saying THIS IS DESPICABLE TO BAN FREE SPEECH of noted defamer Ezra Levant.

Oh please you'd be tripping all over yourselves to scream the loudest if it were the wildrose banning some poo poo like rabble.ca or thetyee

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I would be interested in an effort post or a link to an article on why the BCNDP is so awful. (CI saying "Jenny Kwan" doesn't count)

I mean, I know they are. They've been pretty much useless as opposition and failed to win an election they had in the bag. Is it a problem with the MLAs or party leadership (or lack thereof)? Is there no grassroots support? Is the whole thing rotten and we need to burn it down and create a BC Solidare Party? On the surface it appears that BC should be very open to a leftist party that wanted to get rid of the MSP, spend more on transit, spend more on low-income housing, and help lower the cost of living a little. I might have a distorted view of things from spending all my time with hippies in Victoria, and maybe the coalition of wannabe Albertans in the interior and Vancouver suburbanites is bigger, but I think any mildly competent party could have beaten the Liberals last election.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

eNeMeE posted:

I'd like to have stayed 23 forever but since that isn't possible I'll compromise and buy a muscle car when I hit my 40s. Because life, like politics, is about the art of the possible.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Chicken posted:

I would be interested in an effort post or a link to an article on why the BCNDP is so awful. (CI saying "Jenny Kwan" doesn't count)

I mean, I know they are. They've been pretty much useless as opposition and failed to win an election they had in the bag. Is it a problem with the MLAs or party leadership (or lack thereof)? Is there no grassroots support? Is the whole thing rotten and we need to burn it down and create a BC Solidare Party? On the surface it appears that BC should be very open to a leftist party that wanted to get rid of the MSP, spend more on transit, spend more on low-income housing, and help lower the cost of living a little. I might have a distorted view of things from spending all my time with hippies in Victoria, and maybe the coalition of wannabe Albertans in the interior and Vancouver suburbanites is bigger, but I think any mildly competent party could have beaten the Liberals last election.

Rural British Columbians are mostly terrible white trash like the average rural Albertan or Ontarian. They are fat, white, proudly ignorant, fetishize the Hells Angels (every rig pig's first purchase after his lifted F-350 is a loving Harley), hate immigrants and the environment, and are dead easy to bamboozle with even the BC Liberal's level of low-rent politicking.

Even the rural BCers who aren't white- right-wing lumpenproles are just a tiny rump of left-wing NIMBY chucklefucks that LOVE to play small ball identity politics about whatever completely irrelevant issue is currently gripping the dozen or so year-round residents of Bumfuck Island. They are also reflected in the Vancouver urban elite, aka the Vision Vancouver/Tides Foundation crew, aka masters of using left wing identity politics bait-and-switch techniques to greenwash the fact that they are a full-service handjob factory for for the rentier class.

So where would a credible left-of-center political party draw strength from? Our biggest trade unions are full of Honorary Albertans and our left wing elite are neoliberal carpetbagger Ewoks. Like Helsing says, you can't just majik up a broad left wing coalition out of nowhere; it has to actually be based on social institutions of some kind. We have none, because B.C. is the worst, so we get the BCNDP.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

ZShakespeare posted:

Oh please you'd be tripping all over yourselves to scream the loudest if it were the wildrose banning some poo poo like rabble.ca or thetyee

Who and the what?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ikantski posted:

You're telling me that you believe that the government that is selling off 15% of Hydro One a year for 32 days of relief from debt interest payments really cares about the long term finances of Ontarians?

There's a really simple law about deleting government emails and another one about not bribing election candidates, I don't think OLP thought twice about them. I don't freak out about CPP. I freak out about electricity costs. Which is something this government has(had?) almost complete control over and should be focusing on.

It would definitely be smart politics for the OLP to turn the 2018 election into a question of whether pensions are good and all the better for them if the deduction hasn't appeared on people's paycheques yet..

Again, you seem to think the Ontario government has direct control over ORPP (or do you? I don't understand the logic of the second sentence), which it will not. This conversation always ends up in the same place, it's too bad.

Ron_Jeremy
Sep 29, 2003

Chicken posted:

I'll give you the perspective of someone who is both a federal and a provincial Liberal, so you can take this with a rather large bag of salt if you wish. Bottom line, the BCNDP is all tactics, no strategy. You're looking at a party that opposed the carbon tax, just because they thought they could hurt the Liberals, without considering the damage it did with environmental voters. A party that decided it was a great idea to team up with Bill Vander Zalm to defeat the HST, gutting the revenue it could have had to spend on promises.

Look at Kinder Morgan. Both the NDP and the Liberals have ended up with the same exact position, opposing it. But why did Christie cover herself with glory on it, where Adrian Dix covered himself with poo poo? Because the NDP, in order to win a single riding, opposed it outright without any sort of process, making themselves a target of just about everyone. So what did Christie do? She didn't take the Harper route of pipelines at all costs (like Kevin Falcon would have), she took the strategic route of putting seemingly reasonable conditions that would almost certainly not be met. She sells herself as pro-development, and then can oppose it without political cost based on the fact that her conditions were not met.

Christie very much has the same political advantage as Justin; being constantly underestimated by her opposition (if you think there's a lot of right wing posts on Facebook calling Justin stupid, you should have seen the left wing posts about Christie last election). But she also has a lot more leeway than the BCNDP. Being a fed Liberal, she gets to pick and choose from about 3/4 of the potential political ground in the province, boxing the NDP into positions that they should be supporting, but can't. There's plenty the BCNDP stands against, Can anyone really tell me what the BC NDP stands for? What's the vision, and the strategy to get there?

Ron_Jeremy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 17, 2016

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
E: ^^ 100% in agreement They absolutely oppose things that should in in their core platform, for the most baffling reasons.

Just in case anyone that thinks Frank is over stating his case for how and why BC is the worst, it is surprisingly accurate.

Vancouver has (had) two left wing city parties that formed when everyone that wasn't pro-killing the poor schismed over running a city, or whether Che Guevara was the greatest hero of mankind. The running the city group mostly won, and has since learned the simple joys of killing the poor and creating bike lanes.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 17, 2016

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

ZShakespeare posted:

The Rebel's average article length is about 50 words and they just posted this:

quote:

The latest edition of Poland's wSieci (The Network) magazine exposes the Muslim rape epidemic right from the cover and it's anything but politically correct.

The cover shows a pretty girl in a blue dress startled as dark hands try to grab her. The headline reads, “Islamic Rape of Europe.”

According to Breitbart, the magazine features articles titled ‘Does Europe Want to Commit Suicide?’ and ‘The Hell of Europe’.

In the opening article, Aleksandra Rybinska writes, “The people of old Europe after the events of New Year’s Eve in Cologne painfully realised the problems arising from the massive influx of immigrants. The first signs that things were going wrong, however, were there a lot earlier. They were still ignored or were minimised in significance in the name of tolerance and political correctness.”

At a time when people have been arrested for voicing concerns about the mass influx of Syrian refugees in Europe, this magazine and its cover is a refreshing change of pace.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Dreylad posted:

I don't see the connection.

My thinking is that we shouldn't trust future governments (or the ones in power today) not to suddenly "repurpose" these pots of money and leave upcoming payouts underfunded. Attacking a pension plan should be political suicide in the same way as a full frontal attack on universal medicare. I don't think this is the case though with the age bracket that will benefit from these changes. Hopefully they won't get screwed by the Ontario government (instead of getting front, back, and side-loaded by the private sector).

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Kafka Esq. posted:

The Rebel's average article length is about 50 words and they just posted this:

And yet, if you add one letter, it becomes Polish for "in the trash."

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Even if it's rubbish, banning The Rubble was always going to be a public perception loss for the government. They should have just ignored them unless they caused disturbances in press conferences or engaged in (more) defamation. Otherwise just let them roll around in their little pile of poo poo in the corner and ignore them - all the NDP did was wade into the shitpile.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ZShakespeare posted:

Nobody would be particularly upset because that would be par for the loving course for Conservatives

Also yeah lmk when either of those websites engages in thinly veiled hate speech or is run by a serial defamer.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 18, 2016

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Chicken posted:

I like Ron_Jeremy's response to this question.

I'd add that in my view there is an MLA and leadership issue. There are people associated with the BC NDP that have overstayed their welcome by well over a decade at this point. This is a problem because their history is a political liability (which was exploited last election) and as well these people are out of touch and have completely run out of ideas. I really don't know what the BC NDP would do if they found themselves in power. I'm not sure they know. They seem single minded in opposing what the BC Liberals do, which resulted in the baffling opposition to the Carbon Tax, but haven't ever done a good job of expressing a coherent alternative vision of how they'd run the province.

I think it's pretty telling that Gregor Robertson bailed on the party pretty quickly after being elected as a MLA.

The party needs to be blown up and completely rebuilt from scratch.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

THC posted:

Nobody would be particularly upset because that would be par for the loving course for Conservatives

Also yeah lmk when either of those websites engages in thinly veiled hate speech or is run by a serial defamer.

one mans serial defamer is another mans truthspeaker

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

I think it's pretty telling that Gregor Robertson bailed on the party pretty quickly after being elected as a MLA.
That's just being a mayor, though. The mayor of the province's largest city can't also be the opposition to the provincial government. John Tory hasn't stopped being a conservative because he's willing to work with the OLP or LPC, Coderre had joint press conferences with the leaders of the NDP and Bloc in the last election, that's just how it goes.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Dreylad posted:

Again, you seem to think the Ontario government has direct control over ORPP (or do you? I don't understand the logic of the second sentence), which it will not. This conversation always ends up in the same place, it's too bad.

Why do you think that I think the Ontario government needs to have direct control over an expensive program for it to go sideways?

ORNG was a federally incorporated charity, eHealth is an arm's length crown corporation, gas plant locations were selected by arm's length Ontario Power Authority, hydro rate increases are approved by arm's length OEB, Ontario's roads are now plowed by arm's length contractors, campaign advertising for the Liberals is handled at arm's length by the teachers' and police unions, smart metering implemented by OEB/IESO again at arm's length, poor senior home care provided by arm's length CCACs and cost frozen medical care is provided by arm's length hospitals.

The point is that something doesn't have to be under direct control of the OLP for it to turn scandalous, it almost seems like they deliberately privatize things most problematic and expensive to avoid the blame when they screw up. I think you're being disingenuous to suggest it's totally 100% going to be separated from any OLP influence even though all we know is that a) it's being run by one of their senior bureaucrats who has no pension experience and b) it's being designed completely by the OLP who said, and then invoked takey backies, that the money was going to provide capital for Ontario infrastructure.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

That's just being a mayor, though. The mayor of the province's largest city can't also be the opposition to the provincial government. John Tory hasn't stopped being a conservative because he's willing to work with the OLP or LPC, Coderre had joint press conferences with the leaders of the NDP and Bloc in the last election, that's just how it goes.

Oh sorry I meant that I thought it was significant that Robertson left the BC NDP to become Mayor. Maybe it was just a great opportunity at the right time, but maybe the decision to leave was made easier if he wasn't being listened to and/or felt the party was moving in the wrong direction.

I feel like I recall reading an article that suggested at some tension between Robertson and the BCNDP from when he was an MLA but I can't find anything at the moment and I'm not in a position to search too hard right now. Maybe I'm crazy and just making it up in my head.

In any case Robertson was a super star candidate and the fact that the BC NDP lost him shows that they have problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ikantski posted:

I think you're being disingenuous to suggest it's totally 100% going to be separated from any OLP influence even though all we know is that a) it's being run by one of their senior bureaucrats who has no pension experience and b) it's being designed completely by the OLP who said, and then invoked takey backies, that the money was going to provide capital for Ontario infrastructure.

I'm not being disingenuous, that's how it's being set up. That's it. That is how it is being set up, it's how CPP has been set up for over 40 years. There is a myriad of complicated laws to prevent any of the cross-pollination of crown corporations-turn-privatized nightmares you're describing. There is nothing disingenuous in what I am saying. You saying it is does not make it so.

I'm at a loss of what else to tell you or how to dispel the notion that there the government would be able to influence the ORPP given how it is being set up, given the rules and laws that are in place, given the fiduciary responsibilities of the board of trustees, and so on. Your comparison to other crown corporations just does not apply.

Hexigrammus posted:

My thinking is that we shouldn't trust future governments (or the ones in power today) not to suddenly "repurpose" these pots of money and leave upcoming payouts underfunded. Attacking a pension plan should be political suicide in the same way as a full frontal attack on universal medicare. I don't think this is the case though with the age bracket that will benefit from these changes. Hopefully they won't get screwed by the Ontario government (instead of getting front, back, and side-loaded by the private sector).

How would the government "repurpose" this money that it cannot, by law, touch? Should we start worrying about the government raiding CPP? If so, how would it go about taking that money?

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 18, 2016