Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Everything in this video reminds me of why I stopped going to most local car meets. :bang:

quote:

:v: "Drifting AWD is great!"

:confused: "So where do you drift at?"

:v: "I plead the fifth, I could get in trouble!"

:confused: "You ever run at any tracks?"

:v: "No, but I've always wanted to!"

:ughh:

quote:

"T-Tops are lighter, right?"

:downsowned:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol if you've never done a VR4 swap into a FWD 3000GT and converted it to AWD. What are you even DOING with your life?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Root Bear posted:

Everything in this video reminds me of why I stopped going to most local car meets. :bang:

Literally every car meet i've ever been to is people talking about planned mods. It's loving maddening and i haven't been to any in years.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

God it's so cringe worthy.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edJA_2ibFbc

This guy is doing a public service.

"superchargers rob horsepower"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Crustashio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edJA_2ibFbc

This guy is doing a public service.

"superchargers rob horsepower"

If you read the notes on the youtube page apparently this gentleman "ricer" is also serving time for rape.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Here's one DV will appreciate. A race car driver friend on facebook just now:

new Z06 wouldn't even go one hotlap at sebring without overheating and hitting boost cut

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Welp, now I have something to watch tonight while waiting for the Cisco engineer to upgrade our phone system.

On the subject of man-holes (heh), on my way home from work a few months ago, I happened to notice the manhole cover was gone on a lovely stretch of 225 that is a 65mph zone, which people regularly do 80+ on. The hole is about 50-50 between the shoulder and left lane, so any moron that doesn't watch the road close, was going to completely kill their car when they hit it. It was one of those surreal moments when you see something that your brain can't really comprehend immediately. I was like wait, is that manhole cover gone....then you see it about 150 feet down the road upside down on the shoulder.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

jamal posted:

Here's one DV will appreciate. A race car driver friend on facebook just now:

new Z06 wouldn't even go one hotlap at sebring without overheating and hitting boost cut

I'm trying to figure out the markings but is that 260° or 280°F?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Octopus Magic posted:

I'm trying to figure out the markings but is that 260° or 280°F?

275? Looks like each tick is 15 30 degrees.

(My VW has 3 ticks between every 10 mph on the speedo, so each tick is 2.5 mph. WTH? Kind of makes sense as you only really care about the 5's and 10's.)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Presented without comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TPg0Qwj5vA

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Everything about this is garbage. Right down to the host trying to do a swishy Matt Farah and his questionable taste. The original "No Fucks" guy actually did interesting things to his car.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I appreciate the dangling RED + BLACK - reminder.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm a fan of ridiculous cars but that thing is straight garbage. The no fucks RX7 looked similarly shite but it had performance to back it up. This is just some dude who wrecked an MX5...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

88h88 posted:

This is just some dude who wrecked an MX5...

I hope he wrecks it. There are so many things to cut yourself on.
That thing has to have the crush resistance of an aluminum can.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
ouch ouch ow ow ow ow oh gently caress oh poo poo ow ow ow

boy this is fun!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

buttcrackmenace posted:

ouch ouch ow ow ow ow oh gently caress oh poo poo ow ow ow

boy this is fun!

Yeah but it was funny watching someone else wreck their spine. :v:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Preoptopus posted:

Ill take an old Denali anyday.

Isn't that pretty much what the new Hummer was anyway? My brother does auto work and said he had a guy argue that his new Hummer "wasn't a Tahoe" until they put it on the lift and did a side by side with my brother's actual Tahoe, pretty sure the chassis/frame is nearly identical but with a Hummer body slapped on. Could be wrong but I wouldn't put it past GM (or any car manufacturer) to do that and drive the price up a few grand, they already do that rebadging/price gouge crap with Cadillac and Chevy.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The H2 absolutely is a Tahoe chassis underneath. I do believe it's also significantly heavier and slower as a result.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

My mind cannot even process how those angled wheels work, or why anyone would think they're a good idea.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It originated in Japan and it's a status thing, 'look, I can afford to run tyres that I don't even use half of'

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

I can't help but think about these "give no fucks" cars: you kind of have to give quite a lot of fucks in order to consciously make the car look like that.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
"Look at me! Looook at meee! Look what I've done! Tell me how extreme and crazy my car is, post it online and put it on YouTube! I care very much about what you think of me.

..but I'm too lazy & have no fab skills and can't earn your praise by doing good work. Hmm... "No fucks given!" See, that means you can't tell me it's bad. You aren't allowed to do it. I win!"

e:f,b

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

88h88 posted:

It originated in Japan and it's a status thing, 'look, I can afford to run tyres that I don't even use half of'

I thought it came from TÜV regulations about the top edge of tread being inside the wheel well.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It is my theory that any car fad is a perversion of racing. Take anything that makes a race car different from an average car and multiply those features until you've reached the physical limits of being usable. Slamming, hella flush, donks. They all pull influence from the racecar aesthetic in the worst possible way. Ride height, camber, and wheel size, respectively.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 18, 2016

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Sinestro posted:

I thought it came from TÜV regulations about the top edge of tread being inside the wheel well.

It's a japanese thing.

Ostensibly it started as a "I want my car to look like a racecar" thing but that was about thirty years ago. Now it's just a look, no status or anything. People just think obscene camber angles looks cool.

e;fb

ishikabibble fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 18, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Like I said earlier the original "No Fucks" is good. It's good because the "No Fucks" are his lack of caring about what other people think about how ugly it is however all the ugly bits serve a real purpose. This guy gives no fucks about taste. One of those touched souls unencumbered by self-doubt.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

The H2 absolutely is a Tahoe chassis underneath. I do believe it's also significantly heavier and slower as a result.

It's actually a trailblazer with many Isuzu/gm parts. Even uses similar parts like the trailblazer does. Aka power steering lines that have no purpose running the way they do .

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

My mind cannot even process how those angled wheels work, or why anyone would think they're a good idea.

So you can put twice as many miles on your tires, run the first few thousand hundred miles on one half of the tire, then remount and use the other half.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

So you can put twice as many miles on your tires, run the first few thousand hundred miles on one half of the tire, then remount and use the other half.

They should be getting into motorcycle tires, then. Run the tire on one edge, rotate ten degrees, run some more, rotate another ten degrees, etc. You'd get like nine times the tire life that way!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Yea they are the pretty much the result of marketing managers rummaging around in the GM cheap parts bin.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hummer was a great example of how 90s onwards GM were terrific manufacturers, engineers and accountants while being terrible brand managers.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

SouthsideSaint posted:

It's actually a trailblazer with many Isuzu/gm parts. Even uses similar parts like the trailblazer does. Aka power steering lines that have no purpose running the way they do .

That's the H3. The H2 is a Tahoe with another front suspension in the back.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

wallaka posted:

That's the H3. The H2 is a Tahoe with another front suspension in the back.

H3 was the chevy colorado or are we all going in circles now?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I was interning for a US Senator's office when GM was going through bankruptcy and I got a phone call from a constituent that was angry that "The Chinese are gonna buy Hummer and get American military technology". I felt I was well versed at the time and explained that H2s are entirely civilian vehicles with no military value and pretty much other GM trucks with a different body. This angry constituent would have none of my facts.

That was the last time I ever tried to argue with a constituent on the phone. From then on I just said yes and wrote down whatever insane thing they were babbling on about.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

To be fair to the guy calling look at what the Chinese did to MG and Rover.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm not sure what parallel you see there between Hummer and MG/Rover? The Chinese only got MG, and some platforms and car designs/IPs from Rover. The "Rover" nameplate went with Land Rover(and whatever tenuous link to any military vehicles) to BMW, and later Ford and later Tata.

100% of Chinese overseas investment and aquisitions are just money laundering schemes for the managers of state owned enterprises.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Preoptopus posted:

H3's are the same chassis as the Colorado/Canyon/I-series trucks but they do have a few unique bits.

They do not share parts with the Trailblazer/Envoy, aside from the Atlas engine family (Colorado gets 4 or 5 cylinder, H3 gets 5 cylinder, Trailblazers gets 6 cylinder)

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

AlmightyPants posted:

I was interning for a US Senator's office when GM was going through bankruptcy and I got a phone call from a constituent that was angry that "The Chinese are gonna buy Hummer and get American military technology". I felt I was well versed at the time and explained that H2s are entirely civilian vehicles with no military value and pretty much other GM trucks with a different body. This angry constituent would have none of my facts.

That was the last time I ever tried to argue with a constituent on the phone. From then on I just said yes and wrote down whatever insane thing they were babbling on about.

I woulda told him to contact Russia since they build them there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Preoptopus posted:

Aw, hell. I honestly forgot that the whole Colorado thing ever happened. They were that bad.

Terrible automotive stuff: the H1 was garbage, too. The worst disappointment I had upon joining the military was that Humvee's are terrible at everything. Glacially slow, huge but no space inside, terrible ride, tiny uncomfortable seats, zero safety considerations (seriously, they had lap belts only and we had to wear our helmets inside because of the head-injury risk), constantly breaking down pieces of poo poo.