Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
don't eat the bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Sizone posted:

don't eat the bones

Or, eat the bones.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Eat the bones, and you will regret it; don’t eat the bones, you will also regret it; eat the bones or don’t eat the bones, you will regret it either way. This, gentlemen, is the essence of all philosophy.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

pahuyuth posted:

Goddamn that looks delicious but I can't find any mackerel at the big chain grocery stores around here. The only time had it was when I got my KO taster pack. Where did you get yours?

Likewise the only kipper snacks I can find are Crown Prince brand which are pretty good but I'd like to try some others. I guess I'll try someplace like Trader Joe's.

Well, I didn't make that I just looked up a picture. I live in Norway and we can usually get fresh mackerel in the supermarket when the things are in season (or whatever you call it), which is from about May-June until about October. So no fresh mackerel at the moment, and barbecued mackerel is very much a summer thing, but damnit if it aint delicious.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Gorging on some Latvian sardines spread with Dusseldorf mustard on crackers.

Yum.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

VendaGoat posted:

Or, eat the bones.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I AM A FAT LATIN MAMI

don't eat the bones

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Sizone posted:

don't eat the bones

Oh, ok don't eat them.

Do gnaw on them like a loving mongrel dog and suck the marrow from them.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I cooked the bones in the stew for about 3 hours and am now eating them by proxy

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh you don't have oxtail today well watch me BITCH you gonna learn BITCH

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oh you don't have oxtail today well watch me BITCH you gonna learn BITCH

I've always wanted to make em, can you please post a brief "how-to"?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oxtails? They're easy. Brown and braise as you like it basically. If you look online you'll see a lot of Caribbean recipes that start with a browning (burnt sugar) and they pretend like it's a big deal but it's not and you can ignore it, it tastes like it tastes who cares.

Here's my evernote note I made for the ribs you can put in the same amount of oxtails instead

This ends up with a kinda dominican tasting version, you can alter almost anything in the recipe to change the flavor profile.

Oh also I broiled for the brownness but you can sear in the pan instead. The plus to this is more fond, the minus is a lot more garbo to skim off and more work/time cooking them. If you have a pressure cooker you can finish this poo poo real quick but I don't have one right now.

The picture is half of the below but I want a bigger batch in the future because I usually want to cook enough for six or seven servings during the week plus enough to feed me that day, so I typed it in this way.

=====

Double batch:
~8 lbs ribs (about 4 trimmed racks), seasoned, broiled on high up close for about 6 minutes per side
5-6 sweet onions caramelized
4-5 red peppers
1 bag baby carrots
1 head garlic
1 big juicy lime
1 6oz jar olives
1-2 small cans tomato
2 tsp cumin seeds
6 bay leaves
Some bullion

While broiling meat start the onions, finish them with garlic and cumin and bay leaf. Simmer ribs in onions and some water and the tomatoes for 3 hours. Remove bones from meat and then put back in to stew. Add carrots and about and enough water to make about 6 cups of water total, two or so bullion cubes, cook for 30m. Add juillened pepper and olives and lime juice and cook for another 30m, thicken with ~2 tbsp cornstarch slurry. Serve with rice.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 16, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you don't know how to caramelize onions maybe use half as many and just sweat them (cook them a little)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oxtails? They're easy. Brown and braise as you like it basically. If you look online you'll see a lot of Caribbean recipes that start with a browning (burnt sugar) and they pretend like it's a big deal but it's not and you can ignore it, it tastes like it tastes who cares.

Here's my evernote note I made for the ribs you can put in the same amount of oxtails instead

This ends up with a kinda dominican tasting version, you can alter almost anything in the recipe to change the flavor profile.

Oh also I broiled for the brownness but you can sear in the pan instead. The plus to this is more fond, the minus is a lot more garbo to skim off and more work/time cooking them. If you have a pressure cooker you can finish this poo poo real quick but I don't have one right now.

The picture is half of the below but I want a bigger batch in the future because I usually want to cook enough for six or seven servings during the week plus enough to feed me that day, so I typed it in this way.

=====

Double batch:
~8 lbs ribs (about 4 trimmed racks), seasoned, broiled on high up close for about 6 minutes per side
5-6 sweet onions caramelized
4-5 red peppers
1 bag baby carrots
1 head garlic
1 big juicy lime
1 6oz jar olives
1-2 small cans tomato
2 tsp cumin seeds
6 bay leaves
Some bullion

While broiling meat start the onions, finish them with garlic and cumin and bay leaf. Simmer ribs in onions and some water and the tomatoes for 3 hours. Remove bones from meat and then put back in to stew. Add carrots and about and enough water to make about 6 cups of water total, two or so bullion cubes, cook for 30m. Add juillened pepper and olives and lime juice and cook for another 30m, thicken with ~2 tbsp cornstarch slurry. Serve with rice.

WHOA!!! you are the man. I was hoping for a sentence or two but this is very thorough

Just to be clear:
-I can start by salting and searing the oxtails just like any other meat, before I start with the onion
-When you say "skim the garbo" you mean use a soup strainer to collect the scum off the top of the liquid every now and then, as needed?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

WHOA!!! you are the man. I was hoping for a sentence or two but this is very thorough

Just to be clear:
-I can start by salting and searing the oxtails just like any other meat, before I start with the onion
-When you say "skim the garbo" you mean use a soup strainer to collect the scum off the top of the liquid every now and then, as needed?

-Yeah, that's the normal start. I prefer to broil things like ribs and oxtail to start because of the effort involved in pan searing them. Also because they have structure they don't lay in the pan very well and it's hard to get an even sear/lots of browning on the meats because the bones get in the way. Broiler doesn't need contact just closeness. I sear chicken thighs and things like that but fat and lots of curved bone and I don't want to gently caress with it any more.

-Oxtail (and ribs) has a tremendous amount of fat and connective tissue. This will cook off and turn into a layer of viscous oil on top of your stew and won't taste good and will give you the shits. Normally you skim that off (unless you're a really disgusting fat pigman) using a spoon. Broiling leaves most of that in the broiling tray and saves some work later on. Flavor is 90% as good, work is 90% less wrt the meat. I mean, sear if you want to but you're going to have to do more skimming that way.

There isn't too much scum in that recipe. Scum (like, the greyish foam stuff) requires protein and starch together as far as I'm aware so it's only an issue if you put a starch in too early or are cooking beans or something like that.

Oh and for the oxtail I wouldn't bother stripping the meat out, I just did it for the ribs because it was easy but for the oxtail it's a pain and its better to just let the person eating the thing work the meat out of all the nooks and crannies.

raton fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 16, 2016

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Many thanks, I'll make it and post pics :cheers:

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
busted out some KO's tinned with cracked peppercorns on triscuits the other night after a few brews and some late night frisbee, a good choice when out in the field and hot sauce is not available, 5/5 will dine again :coolfish:

e: chopsticks > fork, when it comes to transferring small oily fishes directly from tin to cracker

Lathespin.gif fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 16, 2016

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Looks like cat food, tastes like dad food (mackarel)

Does anyone ITT happen to have cats? How do they react when you feast on dines, must be pretty annoying????

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
^^ they actually act pretty adorable and so usually at least get a small piece

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I've had my first two tins of sardines (KOs) this month. Dijon Mustard- Did not enjoy. Mediterranean Dines- Fantastic. Didn't notice any bones, had to double check the label. I still have 1 tin of Mediterranean and 1 of Zesty Tomato Sauce left. My hopes for Tomato Sauce are not high.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

AEMINAL posted:

Does anyone ITT happen to have cats? How do they react when you feast on dines, must be pretty annoying????

Mine go nuts, then don't eat more than a couple bites. Because they are assholes, but that's a given with cats.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
gonna say it right now: cats don't deserve sardines and if you give dines to cats, you are squandering the precious gift of dine.

cats deserve....gravel

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Saw some jars of herring in wine sauce and herring in cream sauce (both refrigerated) at the grocery today. Anyone had anything like this? I love kippered herring but haven't had it any other way.

Also opened an issue of Men's Health magazine to a random page which had a big ol' 'dine sandwich picture in an article by Alton Brown. He eats a can of 'dines every day. We are in good company, 'dinegoons.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Sizone posted:

gonna say it right now: cats don't deserve sardines and if you give dines to cats, you are squandering the precious gift of dine.

cats deserve....gravel

I learned the hard way :negative: but now I am wiser

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

pahuyuth posted:

Saw some jars of herring in wine sauce and herring in cream sauce (both refrigerated) at the grocery today. Anyone had anything like this? I love kippered herring but haven't had it any other way.

Get one, probably the wine sauce and try it out. Prepare to not exactly be overwhelmed but to have a generally agreeable preserved fish experience.

oh, and check the dates because people who read this thread are probably the only ones buying it.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

pahuyuth posted:

I really like the cream sauce herring over some lettuce, like lovely iceberg, but that's a thing my jewish grandfather did for new year's. It's good but I also love disgusting food so who knows

The Vita(?) brand stuff is what we usually get. The fish tastes really good and has a nice meaty, kinda chewy texture?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Trip report: the KO sardine tin lid is loving amazing.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I almost bought skinless boneless in water until I realized my mistake. Thankfully before it was too late, unlike that box of gluten free pasta that made it past my scrutiny until it was dinner time. :mad:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

I almost bought skinless boneless in water until I realized my mistake. Thankfully before it was too late, unlike that box of gluten free pasta that made it past my scrutiny until it was dinner time. :mad:

Lol, you gonna grow a vagina.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

Lol, you gonna grow a vagina.
I'll jam out with my clam out if I have to.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
That's pretty dadly imo.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The hell's the problem with having a vagina. Wave your dick around in some other thread.

Eat the bones anyhow.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

doctorfrog posted:

The hell's the problem with having a vagina. Wave your dick around in some other thread.

Eat the bones anyhow.

Woah look at the balls on this poster!

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I agree that buying the wrong thing at the grocery store and not noticing until you put it in your mouth is very dadly. My dad once bought a six pack of non alcoholic beer by accident.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My dad has never made that mistake because he only buys things he was told were the best in the 70s ("Vlassic pickle spears are the best, Brunswick sardines are the best, S&W frozen peas are the best..." etc ad infinitum) and if they stop selling that thing he just doesn't buy anything from that category any more. He has complained for years that he can't find "Thompson" seedless grapes any more (because they are the best) and refuses to buy or try any of the other available and probably identical green grapes.

Also when he buys cherries (Washington Raineer and Queen Anne are the best) he selects them one at a time making sure to get the best ones.

raton fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 18, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Claussen are unequivocally the best pickles.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Mcclures are best gently caress you

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

NmareBfly posted:

Claussen are unequivocally the best pickles.
WRONG.

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Mcclures are best gently caress you
WRONG AGAIN.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Vlassic are very good pickles IMO. There's lots of good pickles IMO. I like pickled okra IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

numberoneposter posted:

WRONG.

WRONG AGAIN.

These look weird. I want to try them. What part of the world are these from?