Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Phi230 posted:

I've just got this game. What is a good nation or era that is good for learners. Specifically I want a combat pretender and the ability to make powerful magic items. Should I pick a nation that relies more on its armies? There are so many nations and the descriptions don't really say how they play.

For easy pick EA or MA Pan or any of Niefelheim, Jotunhem or Utgard with a god with nature 9. Makes expanding and moving around trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I did my first (vs. AI) game as Vanheim and did just fine I think, but that was also after watching several hours of informative LPs on Youtube.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

I've just got this game. What is a good nation or era that is good for learners. Specifically I want a combat pretender and the ability to make powerful magic items. Should I pick a nation that relies more on its armies? There are so many nations and the descriptions don't really say how they play.

MA Ulm is easy to handle, and have a specialty in magical items. Every nation can have a combat pretender, if they want to spend points in it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Early Ages Ulm has good troops, you can recruit them for not too much resources, and you can get them in forests and mountains even without a fort. Their mages are pretty good at buffing people up and have a few paths so you can get a good cross-section of magic and magic items.

For their god I'd go for a Thrice Horned Boar with 6 Earth and 6 Nature (looks a lot like a pig - in terms of expansion, the magic means you get a very good god for casting basic buffs from enchantment, and you have a pretty safe way to take provinces, because 6 Earth + his base protection + Berzerker means you might get hurt once by a shortbow or spear, but that's about it, and the boar can trample tons of units with not much effort).

To expand best without magic, put your god right to the front of the little overlay and set them to attack.

If you leave them without any orders they'll fire a frankly embarrassing little pile of rocks at the enemy.

With Enchantment 2 you can cast Personal Regeneration for 10% regen per turn (normally enough) plus a much-reduced chance of getting afflictions. With Conjuration 3 you can cast Summon Earthpower which makes your pig guy recover fatigue every turn, as well as giving them another point in protection, both of which are really neat.

The other things you want are 6 dominion candles (a pretty safe amount for an awake pretender), 0 order/turmoil, 1 sloth, 3 cold, 3 growth, 1 luck, and 1 magic. Means you'll have okay money (and the growth means it's getting better every single turn), and pretty good research with the point in Magic. Plus 1 luck means you'll dodge a lot of bad events (if not all of them).

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 17, 2016

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

akulanization posted:

Completely unrelated, but I played around a bit with Szumogliika and while they seem balanced-ish, I would honestly say that the 6-glitch is the best summonable unit in the game bar none. They have such absurd protection and resistances that you basically need to use magical AP or AN damage that isn't elemental to hurt them, and the only thing that can kill them with any reliability is stuff like soul slay. When you take into account that they are pretty cheap if you can put the other stuff summoned to use it's difficult to see them not just kind of rolling over a game once you have them. On the other hand, the first 4 levels of glitch are comically vulnerable to anything magic to the point where while I'm sure that 1 glitches serve a niche as rush defense and 2 glitches might be useful if you are fighting someone with a conventional army and no deployed mages, I think that it's difficult to picture a situation where you would willingly cast the 3 or 4 glitch summon given they are so vulnerable to any mage. Awful mr, low protection, and not enough resistances to really compensate even against very vanilla evocations they seem like a gem sink with little upside.

32 damage might be excessive for the 5 glitch summon as well. That's an army destroying remote attack unless I'm missing something, it even hits sneaking units and basically autokills anything but the largest of giant mages or very heavily armored troops. Even the 16 damage from the provincial transformation 4 spell is capable of wiping out an arbitrarily large mage stack. The only downside to using the spells in this way is you don't get the units.
Thanks for the feedback. The 6-glitches generate quite a lot of fatigue, and like all glitches they cannot ever heal, so I think that they're okay for their cost.

I changed the transfiguration spells so that you can now no longer cast them on enemy provinces, only on friendly provinces. Technically you could still hit an enemy army with these spells, due to them being implemented as events, but there's nothing I can do about that. The only reason they deal unit damage at all is so that you're punished for casting the spell multiple times into the same province on the same turn. You could poo poo out a billion units fairly cheaply otherwise.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Mu. posted:

Thanks for the feedback. The 6-glitches generate quite a lot of fatigue, and like all glitches they cannot ever heal, so I think that they're okay for their cost.

I changed the transfiguration spells so that you can now no longer cast them on enemy provinces, only on friendly provinces. Technically you could still hit an enemy army with these spells, due to them being implemented as events, but there's nothing I can do about that. The only reason they deal unit damage at all is so that you're punished for casting the spell multiple times into the same province on the same turn. You could poo poo out a billion units fairly cheaply otherwise.

Well you can always get a major nature bless for the glitches, if you do then they won't be taken down with chip damage. In my limited experience they do well against battle summons with fire shield, poison skin, and their effective 56 protection vs non-magic weapons. I also misspoke when I said you could use soul slay, I forgot they're mindless. In fact, their mindlessness closes off most of the obvious solutions. Perhaps comically though, decay is pretty drat effective and a big reason why you don't actually generate that much freespawn with them.

Yeah the damage can't be removed if you want that deterrent effect, but it is a monstrously effective mage killer once you've gotten to the third spell or so if you are willing to cast a couple. It's like spending 16 gems to seeking arrow everyone in a province. Thankfully it can only be used defensively.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Phi230 posted:

MA Ulm is pretty easy to learn and also a pretty strong nation overall since their smiths are so great. Start off researching some alteration for earth meld, and then go to conjurgation for earth power so you can branch off into other magics. Evocation for Iron Blizzard and Magma Eruption, Alteration for Maws of the Earth and Destruction, Construction for Earth Boots, etc.
The current go to combat pretender is the Earth Snake, who is able to slowly kill most indie provinces by virtue of having incredibly high protection and wound recupreation.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

amuayse posted:

The current go to combat pretender is the Earth Snake, who is able to slowly kill most indie provinces by virtue of having incredibly high protection and wound recupreation.

And fear. He doesn't usually manage to kill many dudes, but eventually they get too intimidated by his not dying that they run away and he wins.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Etalommi posted:

And fear. He doesn't usually manage to kill many dudes, but eventually they get too intimidated by his not dying that they run away and he wins.

Well, his not dying, and his eating one person a round or so.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I keep bugging Illwinter to be able to mod flysprites but they won't

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Phi230 posted:

Taking an awake, really buff monster with good scales is a viable build in the highest skill game, since expanding is so important.

If you want a relatively straightforward nation, I suggest starting with Middle Era Ulm, who are all about heavily armored pike formations and earth mages. I'm also the world's biggest MA Sceleria fan, who bury their enemies under loads and loads of skeletons and have a great sacred etheral undead unit that does well with a water bless.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

jBrereton posted:

To expand best without magic, put your god right to the front of the little overlay and set them to attack.

this will get it killed against many horse provinces though. when i use pig i set it a bit back from the center and at the bottom. Hold, Hold -> Attack Cav seems to get the first hit. later you can replace the holds with personal regen or stoneskin or w/e

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

this will get it killed against many horse provinces though.
Not in the Early Age.

You can be more delicate about your positioning, but for a new player, it really is pretty safe and effective to just put high Earth expanders at th efront and tell them to go to town.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

jBrereton posted:

Not in the Early Age.

You can be more delicate about your positioning, but for a new player, it really is pretty safe and effective to just put high Earth expanders at th efront and tell them to go to town.

ea still has heavy & light cav so ??? also bone tribe hit pretty hard and some of them have really good morale so they might be problematic, but i can't say i've tried hitting them with a pig since they were added

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

ea still has heavy & light cav
Yeah but they have light lances rather than real lances and a secondary weapon like in MA/LA. Those provinces really aren't a threat to a beefy pretender with a lot of protection. Light cav is a total non-issue.

Anything with "tribe" in the name is not a threat to a 25-30 protection trampler unless there's hundreds of them, at which point they will fatigue out without some reinvigoration.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 18, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

jBrereton posted:

Yeah but they have light lances rather than real lances and a secondary weapon like in MA/LA. Those provinces really aren't a threat to a beefy pretender with a lot of protection. Light cav is a total non-issue.

Anything with "tribe" in the name is not a threat to a 25-30 protection trampler unless there's hundreds of them, at which point they will fatigue out without some reinvigoration.

i've lost e6 earth serpents to heavy cav in ea so i was already pretty sure this was bad advice, but just to be sure i checked and in three different games lost dom6e6n6 (scripted to attack from the front) boar to non-throne heavy cav provinces by turn 6 in each of them.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

amuayse posted:

:thumbsup:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i've lost e6 earth serpents to heavy cav in ea so i was already pretty sure this was bad advice, but just to be sure i checked and in three different games lost dom6e6n6 (scripted to attack from the front) boar to non-throne heavy cav provinces by turn 6 in each of them.
Conversely I've had no problems at all, so that's good vs. bad luck for you.

You on randoms maps or fixed ones? EA tends to have smaller provinces in random maps so this kind of thing is less risky.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

i literally tried your suggestion three times and it went south each time "oh that's bad luck" well no poo poo, but that's also likely to happen to a new player then

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some EA provinces have a fuckton of barbarians who could give your Pretender a pair of afflictions, even if they lose in the end.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

Some EA provinces have a fuckton of barbarians who could give your Pretender a pair of afflictions, even if they lose in the end.
Yeah but the Thrice Horned Boar does also have recuperation.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i literally tried your suggestion three times and it went south each time "oh that's bad luck" well no poo poo, but that's also likely to happen to a new player then
Fair enough. If you spot Heavy Cavalry in a province, set your pretender a bit back and hold and attack.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

Yeah you want the earth snake in the back row so if it goes bad he can slither away easily and not die. It will usually be fine until it isn't and you lose your god for no reason. Just leave him unscripted in a back corner and he'll throw stones until people get to him. If it's stuff like heavy cav that wont get hurt by stones and you feel like making an effort script him hold x3 or 4 attack close vs those.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

hold hold hold attack closest is the superlative script for all your heavy cav needs

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

In the beginning, there was chaos.

I chose an awake black bull with dom8 T3S3H3L3G2M3 N2B9 as God. The lack of awe worried me a lot and made me expand very cautiously. I was taking B9 in every game so it was sort of a gimmick pick that ended up winning me the game. I recruited Boar Warriors and bare chested nobles as resources allowed as well as a few garutors and druids. In the course of the entire game I believe I recruited only 5 elder druids due to the gold cost.

My research order was roughly Enchant 2 for personal regeneration, Thaum 1 for communion, Conj 5 for Contact Great Boar of Carnutes, Evocation 6 for Gift of the Heavens, with blood and other crap thrown in whenever I needed a certain spell, always reaching them too late to be used when I needed them of course.

On turn 2 I got a bugged random event which killed the mage I recruited on turn 1 however I got my nation hero Carnon, which was pretty cool because he ended up playing a huge role later in the game.

I encountered Agartha (mendin), Machaka (archaeo), Ur (tom_clancy_is_dead), and Sauromatia (RockyB) at roughly the same time. Machaka was already attacking Agartha and Agartha pleaded with me to help but Sauro was strongarming me over indep provs so I would obviously have to attack him. When I approached Macha for a NAP we had a very frustrating and confusing negotiation where he was going to give me a 1 turn foreveral extending NAP and I said, "Peace in our time."

Teetering on the brink

I put in attack orders against Macha and Sauro and sent earth and fire gems to Agartha who was already by this point pinned into his cap. God easily crushed the sauro archers and chaff but was immediately confronted by N9 Oripatas which I hadn't seen yet. I had no troops to stop the Oripatas and had to throw God in to fight them, being cautious I decided to attack a province that a small group of reinforcements was coming from just to disrupt him a bit. I ended up with a dead god in exchange for 100 gold worth of enemies.

Sauro sieged my second fort and I spend my remaining earth and nature gems summoning wolves and ogres to hold the gate up. Luckily for me Yomi (MF_James) and Berytos (gaghskull) attacked him from behind forcing him to recall the armies for a time. The gate held with 4 defense left because I channeled the spirit of kitfox88 and had build wooden towers there when I realized I couldn't stop the Oripatas.

Macha abandoned the siege of Agartha and pressed into me in retribution. My B9 boar warriors traded well with N9 lion warriors in a few small fights so when I saw him moving to combine two forces I decided to ambush them with a reinforcing army. Every single one of my guys died and I killed two lion warriors. It was a total disaster and he moved to siege and storm my third fort which I couldn't help to prevent so I had to abandon it.

How Quickly the Tide Turns

Sauro turned the Oripatas around and slammed into Yomi killing his entire doomstack and god. He then slammed into Berytos and killed his army and god as well. I had begun summoning Great Boars which freespawn sacred boars which I would use as troops/chaff for the rest of the game, never again recruiting a single troop. While fighting around Sauro's land using my boars Yomi attacked me and killed a bunch of them for no reason other than not wanting to message me. After asking very passive aggressively about it we ended up talking and becoming good allies.

Meanwhile, Agartha had broken out of his cap using magma kids and retook all of his land and pressed all the way to Macha's cap, relieving a lot of pressure from me. Unfortunately just as he appeared ready to deliver the final blow, a herd of elephants sallied out of the cap and crushed the poor magma kids is an unrivaled act of child abuse. Agartha immediately went AI and quickly lost all of his land and his cap. It did buy me a little time though and I was able to recapture my third fort. Yomi and Sauro also made some deal to kill Berytos together also.

God had been called back and blood hunted during any turn he could spare in a desperate attempt to accumulate enough slaves to begin empowering druids. I tried in vain to throw boars under the elephants to stop them but they had a 100:1 crush to death ratio. The only thing I had to stop them was God and Carnon, now equipped with some magical trinkets I got during random events.

One cast of Agony miraculously routed the 30 lion warriors which would have killed me without a doubt. Carnon went head to head with berserk elephants (negating his animal awe) but was able to dodge their tramples and kill one each turn. He suffered only minor afflictions for his trouble.

Berytos died and Sauro threw up the Wild Hunt. As a joke I re-quipped Carnon and marched him into a forest to confront the Lord of the Hunt in single hand to hand physical combat.

Prodigious size alone does not dissuade the sharpened blade

Dominions 4: The Wild Hunt

He killed the Lord and brought the global down within two turns. Oripatas began moving in but in a very predictable way allowing me to meet them in three fights, in three turns, rebuking them totally with Carnon alone.

The armies of Macha mustered and decided to push into me again so I sent Carnon there to see what he could do. I made a very aggressive attack alone into a doomstack of elephants and lion warriors and also forgot to bring his mage buffer. He was very quickly trampled to death and this caused me a great amount of grief.

Macha pushed further in, getting adjacent to my cap and I had no way to stop him. I had to waste a TON of turns having mages patrol and my research suffered greatly for it. I was also still on only 3 forts for mage recruitment and even then I was gold constrained a lot of turns. You can see from the graphs that it was pretty dire for a while. After losing a few elephants to charm animal and having his god self-own in an attack+recall he lost the will to fight and we had peace.

It was around this time I reached Blood8 and casted Blood Vortex on my cap. I had two druids empowered to B1 who were also hunting. When I got enough slaves I began summoning the heliophagi and got Amaimon first, who became my new prophet since Carnon was dead. I also began blood sacing a tiny bit at this point.

Yomi renewed his attack on Sauro which caused him to go AI. In the negotiations with Yomi I got the capital (45,000 pop) and three adjacent provs (10,000 pop each) and a few other provinces. Even at this stage I had no mages I could spare (or be bothered) to bring with my army so 300 boars and 1 guy to cast Growing Fury stormed the fort. I had completely forgotten that there would be a N9 Tree in there and lost every single boar. It was an embarrassing defeat and I was really worried that it showed how weak my hand was. Amaimon wiped out a throne with Fire Storm and then moved on to the Sauro cap to help preach it down.

From this point my focus was placed on blood sac and summoning immortal vampire lords. The blood income came faster and faster, as it does, and I summoned more of them, forged boosters, and empowered more druids to B2 to become horror casters and would continue doing that until the end of the game.

Ur and Yomi approached me a few turns later about crushing Macha, who was still in the tribal age and had not collected the 400 food 400 lumber and 400 gold to advance any further. Everyone else at this point had broken into blood and were summoning tarts (with the exception of me). I pushed in with some boars since it was standard operating procedure and Macha told me I could have his fort and throne which bordered me so he could concentrate on defending his cap.

Macha quickly died and this started another short time of peace before I got bored and asked Yomi and Caelum if they would mind if I attacked Ur. Ur held the Gift of Health for his tarts and Yomi held the Forge of the Ancients. Yomi was eyeing Caelum and Caelum was focusing on summoning cool poo poo and doing low-effort turns.

My candles had flooded fast into the void that used to be Macha so I flew some vampire lords in to attack. Ur's pretender was trapped inside the cap for a turn before breaking the siege and slithering away like the brain bug from Starship Troopers. I sent horrors to disrupt his blood hunting and destroy his temples but they were stopped effortlessly by his vampire lords and also wolves and also ancient spear mans. It was a huge waste of a lot of slaves and blood mage turns. Ur had a much larger amount of vampires than I anticipated but neither one of us would commit them into hostile dominon.

Ur asked Yomi to help and instead he stole Gift of Health from Ur to begin healing his own tartarians. This enraged Ur and we quickly made peace, giving me the Macha cap and half a dozen other provs, so he could attack Yomi in retribution, saddling Yomi with the war all by himself. This left my only two competitors in the game wailing on each other so I knew I had won at this point and began to focus on memes instead of blood.

Ur pushed fast into Yomi and then Yomi counterattacked hard, taking forts and thrones but his force was being ground down by immortal vampires and vampire lords. I began sending liches into the ocean to claim the throne there which AI Therodos was surrounding and made my designs to hitler retard betray Yomi. I took one throne (getting God killed again in the process) and pushed on to take another throne a few turns later. It only took a few turns from hitler retard betrayal to victory at the end which you can see from the graphs. There was no notable fighting from me (again) other than stealing the King of Fire with hellbind heart but it is only notable in the memetic sense and not strategic.

3, 2, 1, KILLSHOT!

NOTE : The last turn is chopped from graphs and also only relevant players are listed with this exception of Caelum who is listed but also irrelevant.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 19, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah should have continued to go with Ur and played out the end game by killing decrepus, I was also hoping that tom wouldn't get AS mad about me stealing GoH, all I wanted was to do some tart fun :(

I had literally no plan this game, and I figured I was somewhat finished after I smashed my demons+god into sauro and got crushed, but I sued for peace because he hated someone else more, then I took his lands later, I also got berytos cap and at some point agartha (probably when we piled on machaka). I had a fuckton of land and HUGE gem income, I had a stockpile of 500-600 gems at some point in the game.

Basically, yomi is fun, I didn't reanimate ever, which I should have done, but instead I used demons + erfsnake to expand and that went fairly well, until meeting the N9 lizardhorse. Most of the "endgame" was spent with me forging things with ancient forge, hammers, and also summoning things, since I had never been in true end game and i had access to W, E, F, D, S and B... and some air actually because of tengu summons.

I had fun throwing around summons, gems and stuff like they were candy. Dai oni are fun, although I should have done more skellington summoning in the mid-game.

I dunno I had fun until I got ground into dust. Something I did learn: more forts and more temples going into the end-game is good, especially against blood sac. Also T3/L3 is great, luck in general rocks, I will NEVER take misfortune again.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Does anyone have the picture of the shrimp with the whip

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I was Ur. I expanded off an Ef T3L3M3 erfsnake. I saw that I was next to Lanka right away, so I sued for NAPs with everyone else around me, stole some of his cap provinces, and massed indy and tribe archers with some shaman backup to fight him. He managed to build up a bit of a doomstack by the time I went for his cap, and he surprised me by having imps to soak up the earth melds I needed to keep his w9b9 demons the gently caress away. I did some damage, he did a bunch, and he started marching down my territory. Eventually I whittled him down with archers, and, combined with his lack of ever having much territory, convinced him to AI. I took back my territory, but C'tis ended up with his cap.

After that I mostly sat around waiting for someone to mercy kill me after my ruinous war. I got EBDW and GOH up, and then stole MOAK from Machaka after trading for n gems. I sit on the gemgens for forever and got a circle master + conjurer event to break me into blood, so I crawled back into relevance. I made plans to attack everybody but Yomi around me, but the favorable circumstances kept going away the turn I was ready to go. I got my second fort around turn 45, and my third not much later.

Towards the endgame, we ate Machaka (of which I got a lot) and C'tis AIed so I plowed into him. Decrepus nibbled on my borders, but I thought I'd be fine once I got Enchanted Forests and The Throne of the Pankrator to push my dominion hard. It was around here that I found out that Marverni had bloodsac, and that I was actually in a desperate war for survival. I hatched a grand scheme of gently caress-the-world to stop him, consisting of Wishing for Armageddon, casting Second Sun, spamming Plague, Volcanic Eruption and Tidal Wave all to kill pop and make it hard for him to keep him from being able to keep powering out the slaves. I did need Yomi to cast Burden of Time if nothing else, so I offered him gems and told him my globals' cast values, and he stole GOH instead.

It wasn't so much that I got mad, as that it took away my only avenue for winning the game. I'd maybe have stayed allied if I could have navigated my position into victory, but since I couldn't, punishment was called for. So I sued for peace with Decrepus, threatening to use all my big guns if he continued to snap up territory as his dom reached it, and mass invaded Yomi. I killed all his unforted temples but he pushed back for my thrones. I had some plans for it, but the critical turn happened when I'd been partying for 20 straight hours, so I hosed things up and didn't move the right stuff into the right places. Don't try and cast battle magic on a couch mostly unable to read straight and surrounded by immense debauchery. It just doesn't work well. I also hit an interesting bug where stuff was flipped around from the orders but that part didn't matter at all.

Eventually, though, I was able to bring the full power of 50 immortals to bear and started to mop up Yomi's stacks in my dom. I killed quite a few Dai Onis and was about to go slaughter a ton of Oni Generals when Decrepus won off thrones.

#1 lesson from the game: Marverni having bloodsac is bullshit, always check for it even if you don't think it's there. They are the only non b nation with bloodsac though.

#2: Sanguine Dowsing Rods require blood on a commander to have any effect. I wasted a lot of time making SDRs instead of empowering for more hunters.

#3 if you need a pause, ask for it. Don't try and be clever.

Also, a cool moment was when I got a vamp lord with the Immaculate Shield and some other random stuff from Caelum off an enchanted forest charm.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 19, 2016

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

amuayse posted:

they probably don't remember how to

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
My one regret as Agartha in the game (before RL kicked my rear end at the same time as me getting rolled by Machaka and I peaced out) is that I did not endure to break the seal.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
When I broke the seal it was incredibly boring. One of the god vessels sat in a meaningless province the entire game, another suicided into a watcher throne prov and the third died the turn it appeard by attacking my cap as I was moving an army about.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Agartha broke the seal in WaterBong and ownzoned two of the god vessels + legions with little to no trouble

The Umbrals are right bastards though

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah breaking the seal seems very boring since it takes a while to do so, and by then people can handle the nasty poo poo they spit out for the most part.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, but the alternative is not breaking the seal, and that's even more boring

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

100 umbrals is a significant number of umbrals

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The point is not about whether it is effective or good. The point is that you're playing Dom4 with a civilization literally built over and around an ominous hole in the ground marked "Do not open, ever". You are obligated to take a crowbar to that sucker ASAP

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's also canon. the seal is always broken by the time MA rolls around.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The umbrals are terrifying effective with the kind of buff magic EA agartha can throw around at that point in the game. If you can enslave/charm/hellbind the godvessels thats ok but if you're going to do it you should do it for the umbrals.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
N9 Oripatas are surprisingly good, even against the three man gang bang they let me hold my own. But even after killing all three gods I just couldn't get my momentum back.

Maybe next time, with N9B9...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So this happened....

I guess he wasn't THAT cunning. :nutshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
Elfsaredicks is a good example that even when it looks like you are screwed in early/midgame like for Ur and Maverni, you can still end up as one of the final 3 nations, all it takes is someone failing to finish you/needing to pull their troops back to defend and you can crawl back into the lead.

• Locked thread