Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Jedi posted:

Sometimes I just don't understand their rationale. I'm guessing they just don't have a large enough team to handle both bug fixing and designing new content. I'm assuming if they detour now to fix the bugs, they'll be late on the other chapters and they figure that new content is better than fixing the old stuff.

Considering how many people apparently whaled out on the latest pack for the kylosaber...

I'd venture that upwards of half of their team is working solely on making poo poo to put in packs to sell and the rest are like hey you know what, gently caress it people aren't paying for operations and flashpoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Telex posted:

Considering how many people apparently whaled out on the latest pack for the kylosaber...

I'd venture that upwards of half of their team is working solely on making poo poo to put in packs to sell and the rest are like hey you know what, gently caress it people aren't paying for operations and flashpoints.

I doubt this. Realistically, I suspect their actual design team is minimal (Non-entity can likely confirm this, though I don't if he WOULD confirm it. :D ) The majority of the items in cartel packs are just reskins of other various items (The goat mount in this pack is just a new design on the taun-taun frame, for example).

Again, I work in software development so I feel their pain to an extent - It's not as simple as just "sending a guy out to fix all the bugs". Coding is a nightmare...You fix one little thing and suddenly something else you thought was completely unrelated breaks (which is how, I'm guessing, we got this whole bosses not turning around thing). But man, when you have everybody and their brother coming down on you for stopping focus on Operations and PvE content...who knows.

Maybe the bean counters just think that new subscriptions are their primary focus and not retention of old timers like myself and Oedzi.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I imagine getting the new chapters out on time must be a priority given how popular the solo story-based KotFE apparently was.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Empress Theonora posted:

I imagine getting the new chapters out on time must be a priority given how popular the solo story-based KotFE apparently was.

And I would be willing to be that's a completely different team than the one that works on fixing bugs. With our product, we have one team that works on this year's release, another team that's working on the year following's release, and a completely different group of angry people that work on fixing bugs in this year's release.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Medullah posted:

And I would be willing to be that's a completely different team than the one that works on fixing bugs. With our product, we have one team that works on this year's release, another team that's working on the year following's release, and a completely different group of angry people that work on fixing bugs in this year's release.

It's probably related not in the sense that the same people are working on it, but because at the end of the cycle you still have to merge and test everything. Not knowing anything about SWTOR's internal organization, I feel this is mainly an issue of lacking QA resources. Fixing some isolated issue isn't that hard nor needs much manpower but apparently they can't do that and re-test the entire next release (which is the really manpower-intensive part, and I guess 4.2 testing had already been wrapped up) and still keep to the release timeframe, and the bug isn't deemed severe enough to delay it.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Forget bugs, I'm just mad at how absurdly rare they purposefully made the sabers that they knew everyone would want. This is blade and soul levels of lovely gamble pack chances.

Catsworth fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 17, 2016

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Catsworth posted:

Forget bugs, I'm just mad at how absurdly rare they purposefully made the sabers that they knew everyone would want. This is blade and soul levels of lovely gamble pack chances.
Buy more crates! :retrogames:

The best part is they added the grand chance cubes to this crate and, like I was saying to Mercurius over Steam, while they (obviously) pushed the whole "you can get old crate stuff!" angle it's really more about reducing the amount of stuff you get from this crate in order to get you to buy more.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Empress Theonora posted:

Which I for one don't really get considering how laughably bad most of the KotFE story is.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Insert name here posted:

Buy more crates! :retrogames:

I already bought 2 hypercrates. :smith:

Not a single unstable or rancor or more than 1/3rd on any of the rare sets. I think it really is the chance cubes and the fact that they reduced it down to 2 items, both if which can be cubes, is really making it worse.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Cythereal posted:

Which I for one don't really get considering how laughably bad most of the KotFE story is.

actually it was cool and good

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Empress Theonora posted:

Yeah it's definitely a minority opinion that KOTFE is a bad story. I enjoy it - I don't enjoy it enough to run it with 16 characters - but I definitely dig it and look forward to each chapter.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

As long as we're airing grievances:

* Kira Carsen still can't use a regular lightsaber, it still bothers me a lot, and my old main character is still sitting unplayed because of that.

* The KOTOR swoop stronghold decoration seems to exist, but doesn't actually unlock if your character has it, which all of my characters do, because it was a free prize. My stronghold is supposed to be a "swoop garage" and the lack of the original KOTOR swoop is crampin my style real bad.

* The weird lighting glitch on the Stronghold Defender assault cannon still isn't fixed in the game, even though nonentity told me he fixed the mesh months ago. Crampin' my style!

* That whole chance cube thing is still bullshit. It's been said but it bears repeating.

* Somehow they still think it's a good idea to introduce solo quest objectives that other players can "steal" and leave you sitting on your thumbs waiting for a long respawn. I don't know how they managed not to understand that the presence of other players in an MMO should be a good thing and not a huge impediment to your progress.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Empress Theonora posted:

Still has better characters than the Thrawn Trilogy. :v:

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
All this negativity...backwards bosses, stingy hypercrates, mediocre story and yet Huttball is still loving AWESOME as ever.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

All this negativity...backwards bosses, stingy hypercrates, mediocre story and yet Huttball is still loving AWESOME as ever.

Yet whenever I pvp I get loving Civil War 50% of the time. And when I get Huttball it's usually Quesh.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I had an awesome huttball game the other day where we won from a 5-0 deficit once my team decided to not play it like a deatmatch game. That was pretty nice.

Then I was in a losing voidstar match where we lost under like 2 minutes...

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I think the pubbies in this game are the most competent out of any mmo I've played, which isn't saying much, but still

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

Yeah it's definitely a minority opinion that KOTFE is a bad story. I enjoy it - I don't enjoy it enough to run it with 16 characters - but I definitely dig it and look forward to each chapter.

Each to their own, I suppose, but I thought it was a pretty bad story buoyed mainly by a few solid characters like HK-55, Lana, and the batshit seer guy. I'm not sure if "pathetic, whiny brat with so many daddy issues I'm shocked his last name isn't Skywalker" was the intended characterization of the main villain or not.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
So I just finished Chapter X...

"Koth, you're a weak, pathetic fool. I couldn't give less of a poo poo if you leave, you whiny prick. Get lost, no one likes or needs your sorry rear end anyway."

KOTH VORTENA INFLUENCE +260

This chapter was... uh... pretty short. I played the other night up till the "Go to the War Room on Odessen" prompt and put it up for a day or two. I was pretty surprised that going to the War Room and telling Koth to gently caress off was the entirety of the end of the chapter.

It seems like the Fallen Empire storyline would be fairly weird playing anything but a Force user.

The Emperor: You are like me, powerful beyond measure, able to transcend your physical body through your power with the Force.

Sergeant Mudfish: YEP YEP I SHOOT EM REAL GOOD WITH MY BIG GUN! RAT A TAT TAT MOTHERFUCKER!

The Emperor: poo poo, you're the wrong guy. I take it all back.

I sold that dumb wheely mount for 2.5 million and bought my swamp rancor today for 1.8 million, score! My jungle gundark weeps, remembering all our good times together and how now his rear end is relegated to the vehicles tab for six months or so. Swamp rancor model is awesome, I support changing the name of the game to "Star Wars: The Old Rancor" and replacing every character model and enemy with some sort of rancor. The only thing that must stay from the original game is Darth Baras's opera mask, but on a rancor. This will also save money in the future on voice acting as they can just record some interns snarling and howling and use that as the vocal track for every bit of dialogue in the game. Also all dialogue options should now look like this:

1)Growl in a friendly way
2)Growl in an unfriendly way
3)Devour all before you

Protip: Always pick 3.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Tonight I noticed the Pubs hadn't captured their pylon after a minute, so I rushed in to help whoever was fighting them for it, and found ... no one. They just didn't bother to take it. We were up at that point, but not by much, they could've turned it around if it hadn't been for me helping myself to a free pylon. Poor lil' fellas.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Catsworth posted:

I already bought 2 hypercrates. :smith:

Not a single unstable or rancor or more than 1/3rd on any of the rare sets. I think it really is the chance cubes and the fact that they reduced it down to 2 items, both if which can be cubes, is really making it worse.
I was all ready to :homebrew: and throw money to get a hypercrate because I really wanted that saber but was put off when I found that it was possible to open crates and get nothing but cubes. :(

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I don't know how they managed not to understand that the presence of other players in an MMO should be a good thing and not a huge impediment to your progress.

To be fair, no one save for the makers of Guild Wars 2 understands that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

JonathonSpectre posted:

It seems like the Fallen Empire storyline would be fairly weird playing anything but a Force user.

The Emperor: You are like me, powerful beyond measure, able to transcend your physical body through your power with the Force.

Sergeant Mudfish: YEP YEP I SHOOT EM REAL GOOD WITH MY BIG GUN! RAT A TAT TAT MOTHERFUCKER!

The Emperor: poo poo, you're the wrong guy. I take it all back.

:lol:

It actually plays pretty well with all of the characters I've tried so far, because he's not saying you're special because of the Force; you're special because you have Protagonism flowing through your veins.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

prefect posted:

:lol:

It actually plays pretty well with all of the characters I've tried so far, because he's not saying you're special because of the Force; you're special because you have Protagonism flowing through your veins.

A hundred times more powerful than Isotope-5! Able to power character shields for all eternity! It's... protagonium!

Crindee posted:

Tonight I noticed the Pubs hadn't captured their pylon after a minute, so I rushed in to help whoever was fighting them for it, and found ... no one. They just didn't bother to take it. We were up at that point, but not by much, they could've turned it around if it hadn't been for me helping myself to a free pylon. Poor lil' fellas.

Yeah, pvp pug teams are.... exceedingly variable in competence. :v:

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Peak OF.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=872093

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

quote:

I'd like to show you exactly what this subreddit is all about. Posting this thread in a way that mocks BW and myself for calling them out. Isn't that ironic?

BIOWARE COME DEFEND MY YOUR E-HONOR AGAINST THESE TERRIBLE REDDITORS :qq:

:allears:

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Insert name here posted:

I was all ready to :homebrew: and throw money to get a hypercrate because I really wanted that saber but was put off when I found that it was possible to open crates and get nothing but cubes. :(

It's possible, but the ratio is somewhere close to 50%. A hypercrate will probably come with 30-35 random crates, 10-15 decorations, 10-12 boxes of armor, 3-4 mounts, 2-3 weapons, 3-4 crystals, and maybe a pet or two.

You should never buy a hypercrate expecting to get anything from the Gold tier though, for sure. You'll get 3-4 Gold items, but usually never much more than that and there's 18 gold items this time around, so you've got approximately a 10% chance to get a 1/18 chance of an item assuming all gold items roll on a gold tier and there isn't a separate roll for saber or not saber. Since they added 3 more items than usual to the gold tier, you're going from a 1/15 chance to 1/18, and maybe that's just enough to make it seem really really more rare.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah, I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you're willing to plop down the cartel coins for a Hypercrate with the goal of getting a specific item, you're better off 99.99% of the time selling the individual packs in the crate and just buying the item you want.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Could someone post the story flowchart again? I just got my legendary status from doing all class stories, and am now ready for the post Chapter 3 stuff. I start with Ilum, right? I also still have to do Directive 7. Am I missing out on any significant story by not doing the non-Solo FPs? (Athiss, Cademimmu, Colocoid War Games, etc.) Also is there any important post-Chapter 3 FPs/Ops that don't have a solo mode yet? Mostly asking because I'd like to know what stuff I'll be expected to mash spacebar through cutscenes in.

Also Annihilation or Carnage for Marauder if I decide to do any real group content?

Emberfox fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 17, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Colgate posted:

Could someone post the story flowchart again? I just got my legendary status from doing all class stories, and am now ready for the post Chapter 3 stuff. I start with Ilum, right? I also still have to do Directive 7. Am I missing out on any significant story by not doing the non-Solo FPs? (Athiss, Cademimmu, Colocoid War Games, etc.) Also is there any important post-Chapter 3 FPs/Ops that don't have a solo mode yet? Mostly asking because I'd like to know what stuff I'll be expected to mash spacebar through cutscenes in.

Also Annihilation or Carnage for Marauder if I decide to do any real group content?

Reddit's endgame guide is pretty good for this.

Annihilation is better parsing than Carnage, and I personally think more fun...but it's 6 of one half dozen of another - play what you enjoy playing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Colgate posted:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I really need to get back into this and finish chapter 10. loving sim racing eating all my time.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Welp now that they've broken raid for the next few months my guild has actually disbanded! We were progression raiding but now it's impossible due to the game-breaking bugs. I am kind of at a loss for what to do at end-game now :smith:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Welp now that they've broken raid for the next few months my guild has actually disbanded! We were progression raiding but now it's impossible due to the game-breaking bugs. I am kind of at a loss for what to do at end-game now :smith:

End game is running HM KP and EV non stop until you can't take it anymore and throw yourself off a cliff.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Medullah posted:

End game is running HM KP and EV non stop until you can't take it anymore and throw yourself off a cliff.

We did that a few years ago :smithicide:

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

As long as we're airing grievances:

(words I don't care about)

* The weird lighting glitch on the Stronghold Defender assault cannon still isn't fixed in the game, even though nonentity told me he fixed the mesh months ago. Crampin' my style!

(more words)

Nonentity: Cramping your style on purpose since 1847.

(I don't even know why that would still be happening. Did you turn it off then on again?)

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Unlikely feature request of the day: I'd like to be able to set automatic offline buy conditions on the GTN. Like if item X is price Y or lower, then buy using credits from pool Z. Even if I'm offline.

Never gonna happen but it'd be nice.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

nonentity posted:

(I don't even know why that would still be happening. Did you turn it off then on again?)

YOUR SECRET IS OUT, YOU ARE A BIOWARE DEVELOPER!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

nonentity posted:

Nonentity: Cramping your style on purpose since 1847.

I have, I swear... My assumption was just that your fix didn't make it into a live update due to somebody somewhere not gettin' the memo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Hulk Smash! posted:

Unlikely feature request of the day: I'd like to be able to set automatic offline buy conditions on the GTN. Like if item X is price Y or lower, then buy using credits from pool Z. Even if I'm offline.

Never gonna happen but it'd be nice.

EVE Online is for you!

• Locked thread