Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

Between, say, 2004 and 2014, what are the WWE's best top-to-bottom PPV cards? Apart from MiTB 2011, I watched it pretty recently.

one night stand 05 and 06, vengeance 05, backlash 09, extreme rules 2012, summerslam 2013, wrestlemania 30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Great White Hope posted:

I decided to look this up, and got kinda disturbed.

Bray Wyatt is named Windham Rotunda.

Barry Windham has a daughter. Her name? Abigail.

Bray Wyatt would be so much better if literally everything he did was some reference to a friend of his father's.

Minor correction.

Barry and Mike are brothers in law, and Abigail and Bray are cousins.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ayn rand hand job posted:

Minor correction.

Barry and Mike are brothers in law, and Abigail and Bray are cousins.

Derp, I thought Barry was Bray/Bo's godfather for some reason. :downs:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

oatgan posted:

one night stand 05 and 06, vengeance 05, backlash 09, extreme rules 2012, summerslam 2013, wrestlemania 30

all of these plus wrestlemania 24

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Add No Way Out 09 to that list

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
WrestleMania 26 is very good, too. Except for Matt Striker on commentary, gently caress him.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

TL posted:

WrestleMania 26 is very good, too. Except for Matt Striker on commentary, gently caress him.

I don't know if I could overlook Bret Hart vs Vince enough to call the show very good.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

the only good matches are the last two matches and the first taker/hbk match is better. there's stuff worth watching on it but I wouldn't call it a good show top-to-bottom

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Maybe it's just a personal favorite but I really enjoyed it. MITB, both title matches, Punk-Rey, and HBK-Undertaker are really good.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx
Since the start of the Attitude Era, who has had the most WWE/World Heavyweight Title matches without ever being champion (excluding Dark Matches, House Shows and Scramble/Battle Royals/Elimination Chambers)?

From looking at ProFightDBI've got Umaga, Barrett and X-Pac with 3. Ambrose has 4 if you count the Fatal Fourway. Does anyone else have more?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
THE RYBACK beats all of those jabronies with five.

Payback '13 was 3 stages of Hell vs. Cena
Extreme Rules '13 was Last Man Standing vs. Cena
Monday Night Raw Jan 7th 2013 was a TLC match vs. Punk
Survivor Series '12 was a Triple Threat vs. Cena and Punk
Hell in a Cell '12 was Hell in a Cell vs. Punk

Tons and tons of live events and dark matches as well. He was in a program chasing the title for a long long time.

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 17, 2016

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

triplexpac posted:

Who else took to wrestling really quickly? Chad Gable is one, he's way better than he should be at this stage of his career.

And Stroman of course.

By all accounts Rock was way way better in the ring than he had any business being with his amount of training when he started.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Thank you for the PPVs everyone. In the end I just rewatched this year's Royal Rumble with the German commentary. I can highly recommend watching WWE without understanding the announce team.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Memento posted:

Tons and tons of live events and dark matches as well. He was in a program chasing the title for a long long time.

Not only did I forget how hard they were pushing him at one point, but also how long ago that was already.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Memento posted:

Six if you count the Royal Rumble this year :v:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I love when they book guys like Ryback in gimmick matches they have no business doing. He can barely work a singles match, and you want him in Three Stages of Hell?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
If you think about it, watching any Ryback match makes it a three stages of hell match

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd rather watch Ryback in some dumb garbage match where they walk from planned spot to planned spot than actually trying to put together a decent in-the-ring match.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Ryback is good

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
While looking at stuff on YouTube, I found a gimmicky Raw from 2010: "Raw Old School." It looks pretty entertaining with all of the old '80s wrestlers around and the throwback graphics being used. ADR had a match with Sgt. Slaughter and other ridiculous poo poo. I think they even did a filter on the video to make it a little grainy (this might just be the quality of the YT recording).

Any other gimmicky Raw/Smackdown events like that? Except for truly amazing matches, I find it hard to watch a random old non-PPV show and actually be interested in it, but if they do other weird one-off event nights like this, I'd be into it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

surf rock posted:

While looking at stuff on YouTube, I found a gimmicky Raw from 2010: "Raw Old School." It looks pretty entertaining with all of the old '80s wrestlers around and the throwback graphics being used. ADR had a match with Sgt. Slaughter and other ridiculous poo poo. I think they even did a filter on the video to make it a little grainy (this might just be the quality of the YT recording).

Any other gimmicky Raw/Smackdown events like that? Except for truly amazing matches, I find it hard to watch a random old non-PPV show and actually be interested in it, but if they do other weird one-off event nights like this, I'd be into it.

They've done several Old School Raws, they are worth checking out. There were also shows like Raw Roulette when they were in Vegas but the gimmick is much less interesting on those. There was a WWE vs ECW special right before ONS 06 too.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The draft shows were always pretty interesting (if inconsequential in the end).

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

ICHIBAHN posted:

They definitely got less interesting as time went on though. The last couple were a joke, the brand split barely existed

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

ICHIBAHN posted:

Was Taker flipping out during the first one really a shoot?

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
Remember when Cena was "drafted",wore a Smackdown shirt till the end of that Draft Raw until he was...DRAFTED BACK TO RAW!!!!! few years back?

I always laff.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I always liked Triple H being pissed about getting drafted to SmackDown until Paul Heyman gave him an immediate title shot, and then Eric Bischoff traded like six guys to get Triple H back on Raw.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

The last Old School Raw was cool because Jake the Snake came out and pretended his snake was his dick and proceeded to put his snake dick all over Dean Ambrose while burnt-out CM Punk looked on.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I remember enjoying a Mania-focused Raw with matches from previous Manias, including US Express vs Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

BodyMassageMachine posted:

The last Old School Raw was cool because Jake the Snake came out and pretended his snake was his dick and proceeded to put his snake dick all over Dean Ambrose while burnt-out CM Punk looked on.

I've never seen Dean Ambrose happier than when he was covered in snake poo poo

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I was not a huge fan of Ryback, but I could see he had at least some momentum. All interest I had for him and all thought that he might ever win the title waned when he went to a no contest with John Cena in a Last man standing match after killing John Cena so bad he couldn't get up. In a match where that was the stip.

They didn't even do a double count, the match was just over all of a sudden, and the only wrestler walking around after it was Ryback.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 17, 2016

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FunMerrania posted:

Was Taker flipping out during the first one really a shoot?

Don't remember sorry

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

triplexpac posted:

They definitely got less interesting as time went on though. The last couple were a joke, the brand split barely existed

With the exception of I think one year, the draft was always heavily Raw-favored too.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That was also the one where 180 year old batshit insane Jesse Ventura made me sad by still announcing rings around everyone on the current product.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Thinking back to when Eddie died and instead of really pushing Chavo they focused on Rey. Has there been any other instances of WWE/WCW etc doing anything similar. Where one person should really get a push, but instead they focus on someone else?

I guess another instance of what I'm trying to talk about would be where they tried to change the YES chants away from Bryan to Big Show.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

freeranger posted:

Thinking back to when Eddie died and instead of really pushing Chavo they focused on Rey. Has there been any other instances of WWE/WCW etc doing anything similar. Where one person should really get a push, but instead they focus on someone else?

I guess another instance of what I'm trying to talk about would be where they tried to change the YES chants away from Bryan to Big Show.

On one hand you have a star. On the other hand you have Chavo.

On one hand there's a dude who can make you a ton of money. On the other hand, you have a guy who spent the first 5 years of his career trying to get some rub from his uncle and failing miserably.

On one hand you have a guy who had a lot of programs and worked well with Eddie. On the other hand, you have a guy best known for being the least successful dude in his family at the time of Eddie's death, and that's including the goddamned Gobbledy Gooker and his sexaganarian father

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Yeah but Chavo had a rad theme

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Chavo had to know that once he got saddled with Pepe the fake horse that a WHC run was probably not in his future. Has anybody with one of those inanimate object gimmicks ever really reached the pinnacle? Al Snow, Saturn, Chavo, etc.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

natetimm posted:

Chavo had to know that once he got saddled with Pepe the fake horse that a WHC run was probably not in his future. Has anybody with one of those inanimate object gimmicks ever really reached the pinnacle? Al Snow, Saturn, Chavo, etc.

There's this Mick Foley guy who did pretty alright

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Al Snow was a real live human being though. We swear.

natetimm posted:

They really buried this guy and his career was pretty much DOA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah, but he ended up with that gimmick way later into his career when he was already over and floating near the top of the card anyway. If he got his dumb Socko gimmick before he was Cactus Jack he would probably still be languishing in an undercard somewhere or dead.