Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I don't know much about composing, but can't you just write some music and then at the end write "Repeat until the heat death of the universe."

Feh, mine repeats until the last eventual Boltzmann brain spontaneously appearing in the vacuum fluctuations thereafter gets distracted by the spontaneus creation of the next universe identical to our own and loses interest, you scrub.

I just got allayall beat. "Quindecillion" huh? You loving n00bs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A quindecillion is 10^48.

Wrong, a quindecillion is a number kids make up to emphasise how big something is.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Birb Katter posted:

Wrong, a quindecillion is a number kids make up to emphasise how big something is.
I'm the kid using word "quindecillion".

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I ran over somebody

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

How did you manage to screenshot one of my recurring nightmares?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Thanks Obama

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yep!
http://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/confederate-gadsden-flags/

Edit: aw it doesn't have my favourite one with the frog going "GUVMIT GO 'WAY! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" or something like that

Edit: found it!

Here's roughly 100 of them: http://imgur.com/gallery/PUGtG

I still want this on a shirt so loving bad

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
:frogsiren: Fun Police coming through :frogsiren:

quote:

If you are hearing music in this video, it is because YouTube changed their copyright policy and un-muted the track that was originally used. Originally the song that was used ('Murderers' by John Frusciante) was muted and there was a legitimate copyright notice below the video, without any indication that the muted song was something other than John Cage's 4'33", creating the illusion that John Cage composition of silence was muted. Now that the other song plays, the video doesn't really make sense.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Croccers posted:

:frogsiren: Fun Police coming through :frogsiren:

Wait... loving what?!? He used a different song, I'm guessing as a joke, it got muted, then unmuted, and now he says the joke doesn't work because he achieved his original outcome???

Or he put a different song in there and muted it on purpose, which got the notice, then the song got unmuted, but why would he use that other song at all, and :psyduck:

Is my reading comprehension that far off?

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Wait... loving what?!? He used a different song, I'm guessing as a joke, it got muted, then unmuted, and now he says the joke doesn't work because he achieved his original outcome???

Or he put a different song in there and muted it on purpose, which got the notice, then the song got unmuted, but why would he use that other song at all, and :psyduck:

It sounds like he purposely used a song that would get muted and give him the notice in order to make the joke. I'm guessing he had to use something, since whatever algorithm YouTube uses to detect copyright-infringing audio probably wouldn't work with silence; as long as it got the job done I don't think it really matters what music he actually used.

E: and now that their copyright policy has changed, they unmuted the audio and ruined the joke.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Feb 18, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Looks like my XCOM Ranger about to get down to business.

Yes, there are mods to get anime hair and katanas and it's really loving funny.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kwyndig posted:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The hell?

He intentionally used a copyrighted song to get the audio blocked because it would be funny to people who know what 4:33 is and now the joke can't be done because youtube changed their policy on some copyrights.

E: You know that 4:33 is complete silence, right?

Digital_Jesus has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Feb 18, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Mentalizer posted:

It sounds like he purposely used a song that would get muted and give him the notice in order to make the joke. I'm guessing he had to use something, since whatever algorithm YouTube uses to detect copyright-infringing audio probably wouldn't work with silence; as long as it got the job done I don't think it really matters what music he actually used.

Maybe he shouldn't be using Cage's song with out permission then.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Digital_Jesus posted:

The hell?

He intentionally used a copyrighted song to get the audio blocked because it would be funny to people who know what 4:33 is and now the joke can't be done because youtube changed their policy on some copyrights.

Yes. I didn't get that the original joke was to have the copyright notice on the video. My bad.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Evilreaver posted:

Nice crescendo under the rest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWkJ86JqlPA

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Actually 4'33 is not complete silence, but the music implicitly created by an audience in a big room listening to the silence emanated by a :troll: silently staring a hole in a grand piano for 4 minutes and 33 seconds. I think it should be played more often, if only because it shuts up one roomful of chucklefucks for 4'33. In fact, imma go flip it on right now.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well hell Murderers is pretty good, I think it's a win-win.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

YouTube's music copyright detection can get weird. I had a video with Jet - Cold Hard Bitch playing that got muted, because it was identified as song by The Ramones. I guess not even YouTube gives Jet respect or maybe it just recognizes the influence of The Ramones.

Another video had a song that was blocked in Antarctica. Just Antarctica. I am guessing that was a joke by the copyright owner for that specific song.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Write up the sheet music, slap a "© Wiggles Von Huggins, 2016" on it, and self-publish it.

Then go edit the "Longest Musical Piece" wikipedia page and send a link to Cage telling him the bad news

In keeping with his being a composer who isn't one to do things quickly, Cage is still working through some arguably-more-pressing bad news he received in 1992. I wouldn't expect an immediate response.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Karate Bastard posted:

Actually 4'33 is not complete silence, but the music implicitly created by an audience in a big room listening to the silence emanated by a :troll: silently staring a hole in a grand piano for 4 minutes and 33 seconds. I think it should be played more often, if only because it shuts up one roomful of chucklefucks for 4'33. In fact, imma go flip it on right now.

Yep, the real music is a haphazard set of coughs, whispers, and farts.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mierenneuker posted:

Another video had a song that was blocked in Antarctica. Just Antarctica. I am guessing that was a joke by the copyright owner for that specific song.

I don't know why it happens, but I've seen it before. Specifically, there was an episode of this Let's Play that had a copyright warning for Antarctica.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

twoday posted:

I'm imagining it right now (sotto voce):

... cuck ... ... ... cuck... cuck? ... cuck. ... cuck, cuck shh! ... cuck... ...

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Those horse masks are getting... oh.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Karate Bastard posted:

Did you turn it on yet?

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Kwyndig posted:

Stolen from another poster in the XCOM 2 thread:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Digital_Jesus posted:

The hell?

Related to this: a musician was sued for releasing a track that was one minute of silence on the grounds that it was a section of 4:33

quote:

LONDON, England -- A bizarre legal battle over a minute's silence in a recorded song has ended with a six-figure out-of-court settlement.

British composer Mike Batt found himself the subject of a plagiarism action for including the song, "A One Minute Silence," on an album for his classical rock band The Planets. He was accused of copying it from a work by the late American composer John Cage, whose 1952 composition "4'33"" was totally silent.

On Monday, Batt settled the matter out of court by paying an undisclosed six-figure sum to the John Cage Trust. Batt, who is best known in the UK for his links with the children's television characters The Wombles, told the Press Association: "This has been, albeit a gentlemanly dispute, a most serious matter and I am pleased that Cage's publishers have finally been persuaded that their case was, to say the least, optimistic. "We are, however, making this gesture of a payment to the John Cage Trust in recognition of my own personal respect for John Cage and in recognition of his brave and sometimes outrageous approach to artistic experimentation in music."

Batt credited "A One Minute Silence" to "Batt/Cage." Before the start of the court case, Batt had said: "Has the world gone mad? I'm prepared to do time rather than pay out. We are talking as much as £100,000 in copyright."Mine is a much better silent piece. I have been able to say in one minute what Cage could only say in four minutes and 33 seconds."

Batt gave a cheque to Nicholas Riddle, managing director of Cage's publishers Peters Edition, on the steps of the High Court, in London.

Riddle said: "We feel that honour has been settled "We had been prepared to make our point more strongly on behalf of Mr Cage's estate, because we do feel that the concept of a silent piece -- particularly as it was credited by Mr Batt as being co-written by "Cage" -- is a valuable artistic concept in which there is a copyright.

"We are nevertheless very pleased to have reached agreement with Mr Batt over this dispute, and we accept his donation in good spirit."

"A One Minute Silence" has now been released as part of a double A-side single

quote:

" But let's get this straight: John's silence was inferior to mine. My silence was digital and his was analogue. Also, mine was not played by an eight-piece band and his was not played by a solo clarinet."

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Band Camp Nerds posted:

Multiple pages of music poo poo.

This guy gets it.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Its not that funny but my awesome buddy 3d printed me a dickbutt

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

twoday posted:

Only in the live concert album

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Stolen from another poster in the XCOM 2 thread:

Tinder.gif

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

spog posted:

Related to this: a musician was sued for releasing a track that was one minute of silence on the grounds that it was a section of 4:33

I can't loving wait for the future where audiophiles sperg over the quality of their silent music.

"Mmf, with this new $2000 cable I've reached 0.0001 dB with virtually no jitter, it sounds beautiful"

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Call me boorish but the more music makes me think the less I think it's good.

Here's a deep fried shoe because this page is a lot of words about the deleted episode of Seinfeld.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

amityville anus posted:

Call me boorish but the more music makes me think the less I think it's good.

Here's a deep fried shoe because this page is a lot of words about the deleted episode of Seinfeld.

How'd it taste?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
A bit stringy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sole food

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

suuma posted: