Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Zelder posted:

Jeb! Bush: The Early Years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zelder posted:

Buster Bluth: The Early Years

They're definitely going to win Motherboy this year.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Thought

quote:

This troper is slightly ADHD and his train of thought is often derailed, but mostly he uses it when he realizes that his train of thought is so offensive or esoteric that he can't explain it to his friends, because it's better to be a spaz than so disassociated from the world around that you aren't human, amirite?
Once upon a time, about three weeks ago, this troper interrupted a serious conversation about a friend, his girlfriend, and their falling-apart relationship with a badly-timed "Dude, that tree is freaking out." I'm surprised we're still friends, as this happens more often than you'd think.

Character

quote:

The character designs of this troper tend to incorporate goth elements (especially black and white stripes, black tights, and combat boots with frilly skirts, the last of which was directly ripped off from River Tam), bare feet, oddly-colored hair, various degrees of androgyny, Boat Lights, and miscellaneous harmless physical oddities such as having six fingers or being albino, although usually no more than two or three of those at once. Both sexes default to being fairly thin, but there's an abundance of skinny boys in particular. Left-handedness and being short are also common. Also, all her characters wear Converse hightops except in cases when it wouldn't make any sense for the character type, unless they wear combat boots or occasionally Doc Martens. Personality-wise there's more variety, but a disproportionate number are rather shy and reclusive, and psychological disturbances crop up fairly often; she has a fair few woobies, but there's the occasional Yandere, Ophelia, or full-blown Ax Crazy as well. (Despite her love for Looks Like Cesare, so far she only has one character to whom it applies.) Additionally, there's a disproportionate number of child prodigies; they're pretty low-key compared to the typical Teen Genius in fiction, usually 11 or 12 and in the later two years of high school (although there was one 14-year-old junior, due to an age limit set by the GM), with the females of this contingent semi-frequently doubling as the Token Loli. Also also, a statistically significant number of her characters are commonly known by their middle name in Embarrassing First Name fashion, although usually the only thing wrong with their first name is that they don't like it as much or it doesn't suit them as well. However, none of this is sexual, just stuff that strikes her as cool, appeals to her aesthetically, or must have some sort of subconscious attraction based on how often it appears in otherwise unrelated characters.

Author

quote:

This troper has a friend (no, really!) who feels some pathological need to sneak a Bound And Gagged scene into every story. It seems that it's a sexual thing when it happens to the females, but it sometimes happens to a dude in order to avoid looking sexist or something. I'm really not sure and I don't ask too many questions. On the other hand, my own stuff (when I still hadn't realized what a terrible, horrible writer I am) tended to feature an overabundance of Deadpan Snarker characters and a tendency to use normal names for Meaningful Name purposes (a guy named Mike was a chatty Toblerone who sought attention, for instance).

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

These seem more like Pathetic poo poo No One Could Possibly Care About That Did Happen than STDH. Still plenty cringeworthy.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice

Khazar-khum posted:

Thought

Character

Author

The gently caress is a chatty Toblerone?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Apparently http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheToblerone

What that has to do with the chocolate (which is the only way i see that name being popularly known), i have no clue whatsoever

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

CherryCat posted:

The gently caress is a chatty Toblerone?

The arch-enemy of a taciturn Mars Bar?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sentient Data posted:

What that has to do with the chocolate (which is the only way i see that name being popularly known), i have no clue whatsoever

It's from an MST3K joke about Space Mutiny.
:goonsay:

\/\/\/ This troper got schooled on nerd trivia :(

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 01:16 on Feb 18, 2016

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Paladinus posted:

It's from an MST3K joke about Space Mutiny.
:goonsay:

:eng101: Escape 2000.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

quote:

Incident I
At my shore house parking is always tight on weekends. I’m fortunate enough to have a driveway. It is my driveway and it’s not a common driveway. Next door a bunch of college students are renting it, and they think they can park in my driveway.
The first 2 or 3 weekends we are forgiving, tell them to move their car, and remind them that they cannot park here.
One weekend I came down separately. My parents were already down there and took a street spot. (It gets annoying to shuffle 3-4 cars around). I saw the neighbors car in our driveway again, but I had a plan this time. I parked behind them and said nothing. I usually don’t need to drive anywhere as I bike most places. About an hour and a half later we hear a knock on the door. I answer it, and guess who it is, the neighbor. He wants to move his car and he is sorry that he parked there. I get in my car and flip the kill switch. I park in a bad neighborhood so I have a kill switch that will cut power to my fuel pump, basically my car will crank but won’t start since no fuel is getting to the engine. After 30 seconds of trying to start a car that won’t start, I tell him my car’s computer needs to reset (BS story) and that takes half an hour. My family and I went out to dinner.
We come back and he was seething. He gave us a death stare for trapping his car on our property. He runs up to us and demands that I move my car. I told him that I’ll move it after I go to the bathroom (this wasn’t a joke I really had to take a poo poo). It completely slipped my mind. About half an hour later we get a knock on the door. Its the police, hilarity will ensue. The cop said that I need to move my car out of my neighbor’s driveway. I asked him to repeat himself. My neighbor told the cop that I parked in HIS driveway. I asked the officer to look at where the property line is as I assured him that it was my driveway. I went on telling the officer that this is not the first time he has parked here and we have asked him to stop. I moved my car so he could pull out. It was totally worth it seeing the cop write up a trespassing ticket for my neighbor. Have fun with that fine buddy.
Incident II
Fast forward 3 weeks. We see a different car parked in our driveway. We recognize it as one of theirs. The windows were rolled down a bit, and the car was manual.
In the past I have called tow companies to tow cars off our property but they never come. However the cops will tow a car if it is obstructing traffic. This leads to my idea.
I reach inside the open window and unlock the door. I then hop in the car and disengage the E-Brake. My driveway is sloped gently down to the street. I ride the brake, and I was going to turn the wheel, but the wheel locked. I figured eh this is close enough. I re-engage the e brake, lock the doors and get out. I called the police and tell them that an illegally parked car is blocking the street. They come and in quick order tow them away.
I was a bit short sighted on this call, I forgot that even though that the car is gone, the people that own that car are not gone. They knock on our door, and my dad answers it. He said some BS like “Oh we just got down here about 15 minutes ago (car was towed like 2 hours ago) and I was glad to see you didn’t park here. I would call the police and report your car stolen.” We never heard from him again that day.
They have not parked in our driveway for a good month now.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

:vince:

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Now do the one about why women don't need watches. Oh! Oh! Or a dead baby joke!!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Welcome to page 1 of the thread.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Welcome to page 1 of the thread.

Here, lemme help better recreate it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11_attacks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_the_RMS_Titanic

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Wait...there's Titanic truthers? :psyduck:

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

13Pandora13 posted:

The truth is that Jack totally could have fit on that floating door if Rose had moved her rear end over and let him climb on.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Khazar-khum posted:

Thought

Character

Author

For a moment there I thought character designs was another phrase tropers use to describe themselves, and I wondered how they could be a six fingered albino, but only sometimes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

13Pandora13 posted:

At this point, I'm sure you could find Iraq War truthers if you gave it an afternoon's work.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

SEX BURRITO posted:

The truth is that Jack totally could have fit on that floating door if Rose had moved her rear end over and let him climb on.

He tries exactly that and the door sinks under their weight.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

although there are similarities in that Toblerone (the chocolate) can have an overwhelming presence if too much is taken in at once, much like The Toblerone.?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
"On the other hand, my own stuff (when I still hadn't realized what a terrible, horrible writer I am) tended to feature an overabundance of Deadpan Snarker characters"

This guy comes soooo close to being fully aware.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You say that as if "what a terrible, horrible writer I am" isn't the fanfic writer version of "OH GOD, TELL ME I'M PRETTY"

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Byzantine posted:

He tries exactly that and the door sinks under their weight.

Yeah, a lot of people's thought process seems to get as far as 'the door is big enough for two people to fit on it', but then they have some kind of seizure and forget how buoyancy works.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Khazar-khum posted:

This troper has a friend (no, really!) who feels some pathological need to sneak a Bound And Gagged scene into every story. It seems that it's a sexual thing when it happens to the females, but it sometimes happens to a dude in order to avoid looking sexist or something.
He does it women because he thinks it's sexy, and men because, uh, he doesn't want to look sexist, yeah, I'm sure that's it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

[

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Brother

quote:

This troper mentioned on Troper Tales already about his androgynous, theater-acting brother. This troper already has a girlfriend, but attraction to his brother still happens a lot, and the brother is a tease. We still share the same room and this troper's at the end of his ropes and is feeling really dirty now... That and very aroused.

Yaoi

quote:

This troper has been mistaken for one of a legitimate pair of Yaoi Guys while attending a local anime convention with a casual friend. The thing is, what I was doing barely counted as crossplaying. (School shirt, which is a blouse, jeans that show off my lack of butt, and a cell phone stored in an interesting place.) I'm not terribly flat-chested, and I'm not even terribly attractive, let alone masculine-looking OR bifauxnen. It left me with permanent mental scarring and two lifelong friends— the huge, tough, pierced and tattooed bisexual I was con-going with and one of the girls I Bridget-dropped.

Guy

quote:

This troper's eight year old sister recently got a boy cut. She then started at a new school one month later, and had to constantly remind people that she was a girl. One of this troper's parent's friends said, "Aww, she'd look like such a middle school guy, if she was taller." to which this troper (a middle school girl) promtly replied, "A hot middle school guy."

Guy II

quote:

Years ago myself, my brother and a male mutual friend attended our very first anime convention where we spotted someone cosplaying as Mai Shiranui from the video game King of Fighters. This person, despite being flat as a board, actually did a very good job...So good in fact, my brother and our friend had a nice long conversation about the various things they would do to this person in bed, to put it politely. We eventually became separated and I decided to get on line for the dealer's room. Shortly thereafter, the Mai cosplayer and her gaggle of girlfriends got on line behind me. While eavesdropping on their conversation, I couldn't help but notice that one of the voices was a bit...off. I turned around discreetly in an attempt to find which of the females standing behind me had such a masculine-sounding voice. Not only was that voice coming from Mai, but I also noticed for the first time the small-but-definitely-there adam's apple. My God, the look on my male cohort's faces when I told them of my discovery...absolutely priceless. We would actually run into "her" quite a lot at other conventions, and she always crossplays. I got into a conversation with her once. Her name is Brie ("like the cheese!") and she's really, really sweet. (and as an easter basket, by the way.) So next time your ogling some cute cosplayer at a con and she turns out to have something a little "extra", don't say I didn't warn you.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All her characters wear Converse, but the designs still include bare feet. I don't think I want to follow this line of imagination any further.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Khazar-khum posted:

So next time your ogling some cute cosplayer at a con and she turns out to have something a little "extra", don't say I didn't warn you.

Ok, I promise I won't ogle any cosplayers in future.

Edit:

I forgot to say, in regards to:

:barf:

MonoAus has a new favorite as of 09:07 on Feb 18, 2016

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Khazar-khum posted:

Brother

Yaoi

Guy

I wanna gently caress my flamboyant brother, people think that I'm a gay anime & I think that my 8 year old sister would make a hot 13-14 year old boy. All things that normal people experience.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

Brother

Yaoi

Guy

Guy II

P. Sure this post should have gone in AUG, not STDH

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Khazar-khum posted:

Brother
Yaoi
Guy
Guy II

These troper tales are loving horrible, I'd rather read 'Michael Hutchence and Me'. At least her poo poo is a direct and to the point lie.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Rick_Hunter posted:

These troper tales are loving horrible, I'd rather read 'Michael Hutchence and Me'. At least her poo poo is a direct and to the point lie.

Amy Lee is apparently no longer posting. A little magic has left the Internet.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Khazar-khum posted:

Brother

Yaoi

Guy

Guy II

Burn TV Tropes to the ground.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Khazar-khum posted:

Brother
Yaoi
Guy
Guy II
why in the gently caress is any of this something they would want to brag about on the internet? Like I know having no filter and no shame whatsoever are a staple of TVTropes, but come on.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

STDH: Anyone, anywhere, ever being hot in middle school, unless literally on fire

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

K. K. K. Slider

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Khazar-khum posted:

The character designs of this troper tend to incorporate goth elements (especially black and white stripes, black tights, and combat boots with frilly skirts, the last of which was directly ripped off from River Tam), bare feet, oddly-colored hair, various degrees of androgyny, Boat Lights, and miscellaneous harmless physical oddities such as having six fingers or being albino, although usually no more than two or three of those at once. Both sexes default to being fairly thin, but there's an abundance of skinny boys in particular. Left-handedness and being short are also common. Also, all her characters wear Converse hightops except in cases when it wouldn't make any sense for the character type, unless they wear combat boots or occasionally Doc Martens. Personality-wise there's more variety, but a disproportionate number are rather shy and reclusive, and psychological disturbances crop up fairly often; she has a fair few woobies, but there's the occasional Yandere, Ophelia, or full-blown Ax Crazy as well. (Despite her love for Looks Like Cesare, so far she only has one character to whom it applies.) Additionally, there's a disproportionate number of child prodigies; they're pretty low-key compared to the typical Teen Genius in fiction, usually 11 or 12 and in the later two years of high school (although there was one 14-year-old junior, due to an age limit set by the GM), with the females of this contingent semi-frequently doubling as the Token Loli. Also also, a statistically significant number of her characters are commonly known by their middle name in Embarrassing First Name fashion, although usually the only thing wrong with their first name is that they don't like it as much or it doesn't suit them as well. However, none of this is sexual, just stuff that strikes her as cool, appeals to her aesthetically, or must have some sort of subconscious attraction based on how often it appears in otherwise unrelated characters.

I was looking for one of these to do a dramatic reading of but after this I think I'll just sit quietly and hope for an errant piece of space debris to streak down to Earth and knock that troper into a puddle of stagnant water

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I was looking for one of these to do a dramatic reading of but after this I think I'll just sit quietly and hope for an errant piece of space debris to streak down to Earth and knock that troper into a puddle of stagnant water

Hi my name is Ebony Dark’ness Dementia Raven Way and I have long ebony black hair (that’s how I got my name) with purple streaks and red tips that reaches my mid-back and icy blue eyes like limpid tears and a lot of people tell me I look like Amy Lee (AN: if u don’t know who she is get da hell out of here!). I’m not related to Gerard Way but I wish I was because he’s a major loving hottie. I’m a vampire but my teeth are straight and white. I have pale white skin. I’m also a witch, and I go to a magic school called Hogwarts in England where I’m in the seventh year (I’m seventeen). I’m a goth (in case you couldn’t tell) and I wear mostly black. I love Hot Topic and I buy all my clothes from there. For example today I was wearing a black corset with matching lace around it and a black leather miniskirt, pink fishnets and black combat boots. I was wearing black lipstick, white foundation, black eyeliner and red eye shadow. I was walking outside Hogwarts. It was snowing and raining so there was no sun, which I was very happy about. A lot of preps stared at me. I put up my middle finger at them.

“Hey Ebony!” shouted a voice. I looked up. It was…. Draco Malfoy!

“What’s up Draco?” I asked.

“Nothing.” he said shyly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's like a bad lecture on a famous artist, only the artist is famous for doodling animes in her notebook and isn't actually famous.

• Locked thread