Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

Gnossiennes posted:

I like Never Let Me Down.

Never Let Me Down is a great album with bad production.

Also, his first album has a few gems like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjHHIjBy6ag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Low is great, great great.

Bowie is underrated as a producer, and guitarist, and y'know, by producer I mean the art of arrangement, seqeuencing, and timing.

Heroes, Low, is my favourite Bowie song.

Let's Dance was number one on the day I was born!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I got "Nothing has changed" and holy poo poo, those songs from Toy are great. Why the hell was that album never released?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Absolute Beginners is a gem of a track that I'm not sure if all Bowie fans have heard.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4R8HTIgHUU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Diet Poison posted:

I got "Nothing has changed" and holy poo poo, those songs from Toy are great. Why the hell was that album never released?

Your Turn to Drive is great. Shadow Man sounds like the ending credits song for a crummy generic drama film in the mid 90s that you catch on showtime mid Sunday afternoon and then promptly forget about.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

hallo spacedog posted:

Your Turn to Drive is great. Shadow Man sounds like the ending credits song for a crummy generic drama film in the mid 90s that you catch on showtime mid Sunday afternoon and then promptly forget about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_NiQnH93yc

This is all I could think off while listening to Shadow Man.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My vinyl of Blackstar finally came in. Really cool packaging.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lady Gaga just barfed all over the place at the Grammys. Yikes. Started off okay but just went spastic and terrible.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It was fine. But it should have either been twice as long or had half as many songs. Nothing had room to breathe.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Lady Gaga just barfed all over the place at the Grammys. Yikes. Started off okay but just went spastic and terrible.

That's a bit harsh

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I liked the costumes but I didn't think her voice fit with those songs much at all.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
she owned on Fashion and that's all I cared about

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Gaga was fine, the arrangement was terrible and not a fair tribute.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I love how the same year that Low came out Nick Lowe released an EP called Bowi

And then he wrote a song that borrowed the title from Breaking Glass and sounded like Sound and Vision

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
And it's a loving great song too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhvjTcPRYy4
Bowie fans would do well to check him (and of course E.C.) out if they haven't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0l3QWUXVho

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oh yeah dude, I love Nick Lowe and Jesus of Cool is one of my all-time favorite albums

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How do Bowie superfans regard Nirvana's cover of Man Who Sold The World? I'm curious.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How do Bowie superfans regard Nirvana's cover of Man Who Sold The World? I'm curious.

I think Bowie himself liked the cover but lamented the fact that he'd never know why Kurt chose to cover it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think Bowie himself liked the cover but lamented the fact that he'd never know why Kurt chose to cover it.

I've wondered that myself, but then I've never really fully understood what the song is about, to be quite honest.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've wondered that myself, but then I've never really fully understood what the song is about, to be quite honest.

Short answer: Doppelgangers.

Long answer: "I guess I wrote it because there was a part of myself that I was looking for. Maybe now that I feel more comfortable with the way that I live my life and my mental state (laughs) and my spiritual state whatever, maybe I feel there's some kind of unity now. That song for me always exemplified kind of how you feel when you're young, when you know that there's a piece of yourself that you haven't really put together yet. You have this great searching, this great need to find out who you really are."

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't know if I qualify as a "superfan" but I think it's a good cover.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's a pretty good cover but I much prefer the original

The best version however is the 1979 SNL performance with Klaus Nomi and Joey Arias

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

The best version however is the 1979 SNL performance with Klaus Nomi and Joey Arias

I had never seen this version until I went to the David Bowie Is exhibit in Chicago last year. Completely blew my mind.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm a superfan of both Bowie and Nirvana and I think it's a good cover. Midge Ure's is the best though, but I'm not a Midge Ure superfan.

Edit: Here's the SNL version

Frankston fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 18, 2016

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

The answer to this is sorta in the video attached to this article, which I figured should be posted in this thread anyway:

http://pitchfork.com/news/63625-david-bowie-rejected-a-dave-grohl-collaboration-saying-im-not-made-for-these-times/

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Sad I come in here and it's Nirvana discussion.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Sad I come in here and it's Nirvana discussion.

Seriously. I thought we were getting the billy joel chat going.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Seriously. I thought we were getting the billy joel chat going.

one of Bowie's greater but unrecognized moments as Visionary and Prophet occurred on the fifth track of Low wherein he accurately predicted Billy Joel's later years

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Earwicker posted:

one of Bowie's greater but unrecognized moments as Visionary and Prophet occurred on the fifth track of Low wherein he accurately predicted Billy Joel's later years
Lol

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Earwicker posted:

To be fair the sixth track is also a good punchline for this joke, considering Billy Joel's biography.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I think Bowie's mellow drum n bass version of "The Man Who Sold the World" that he and Eno cooked up for the 1995 tour is really good. There was a recording of it that came out as the b-side to "Strangers When We Meet" that claims to be live, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was actually a studio version.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay42Z68ScUs

chime_on fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 22, 2016

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I've listened to the album a good dozen times and the song I come back to is Girl Loves Me because iunno what the gently caress.

The narrator sounds so unhinged and hysterical, he uses a mix of that weird Russo-Anglic slang from Clockwork Orange and American urban patois. Is Cheena supposed to mean something? Then there's the whole "Bowie releases a song featuring 'Where the gently caress did Monday go?' On Friday and dies Sunday" thing.

I guess it wouldn't be a Bowie album if everything made sense. Only thing that's obvious is drugs are part of the theme.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 22, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Cheena means girl/woman in Nadsat. But a lot of the words in the song are Polari, 60s UK gay subculture slang.

The lyrics are loving crazy and I love it. It's got to be one of his most deliberately obscure songs. From what I gather by reading various interpretations it's essentially a warped interpretation of A Clockwork Orange, about a group of punk kids doing drugs, getting girls, and evading police, with one standout character lamenting he has his heart set on someone but knows she's trouble and can't get mixed up with her. Then the repeated "where the gently caress did Monday go" along with the days of the week is either him getting hosed up all week so Monday isn't even on his mind anymore, or that Monday used to be a good day for his activities but now hasn't been since his love interest came along (I'm cold to this pig and pug show).

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

Cheena means girl/woman in Nadsat.

Huh, wonder where that comes from? Nadsat's pretty much straight Russian but I can't think of any Russian slang for a woman that sounds anything like that.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

chime_on posted:

I think Bowie's mellow drum n bass version of "The Man Who Sold the World" that he and Eno cooked up for the 1995 tour is really good. There was a recording of it that came out as the b-side to "Strangers When We Meet" that claims to be live, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was actually a studio version.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay42Z68ScUs

I know it's been mentioned but this reminds me of my favorite live reworking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8cENJO39Rs

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got my wife into David Bowie over the weekend (She grew up in Korea so she hadn't heard more than a couple songs) and now she's sang Fashion half the night the last two nights running.

She's a terrible, awful, absolutely horrendous singer.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

According to Wikipedia:

"Nadsat is basically English with some borrowed words from Russian. It also contains influences from Cockney rhyming slang, the King James Bible, the German language, some words of unclear origin, and some that Burgess invented. "

I heard elsewhere that some Romany (gy[sy) words are used, which I didn't see noted in the Nadsat article on Wikipedia (worth looking up).

Polari was originally Victorian slang:

"Polari is a mixture of Romance (Italian[5] or Mediterranean Lingua Franca), Romani, London slang,[5] backslang, rhyming slang, sailor slang, and thieves' cant. Later it expanded to contain words from the Yiddish language and from 1960s drug users. It was a constantly developing form of language, with a small core lexicon of about 20 words (including bona (good [6]), ajax (nearby), eek (face), cod (naff, vile), naff (bad, drab), lattie (room, house, flat), nanti (not, no), omi (man), palone (woman), riah (hair), zhoosh (tjuz) (smarten up, stylize), TBH (To Be Had, sexually accessible), trade (sex), vada (see)), and over 500 other lesser-known words." ("Polari", Wikipedia)

It was revived and popularised by Kenneth Williams in his 1960s radio performances.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Leon Einstein posted:

Absolute Beginners is a gem of a track that I'm not sure if all Bowie fans have heard.

This track is on Bowie at the Beeb https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowie_at_the_Beeb

I'd absolutely recommend it. The first two discs are recorded at BBC studios from '68-'72 and the last is a live performance from 2000. The first disc contains a lot of songs that were covers or never made it onto albums. The second disc is basically a better version of Ziggy Stardust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
at the brits they just did a very quick instrumental medley of a few songs with members of bowie's last touring band (including gail ann dorsey) and then a wonderful rendition of life on mars by lorde. rewind this stream to ~10 minutes before this post, when gary oldman was talking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5mFh39FAxc

• Locked thread