Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So I just got some (3+) iMessages on my watch but they don't show up on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jarogue posted:

Finally thinking of getting a smart phone, and am liking at the iPhone 5. What is the differences between 5 and 5s and what can the iPhone 6 do that the iPhone 5 can't?

None of them are as good as a 2007 featurephone so don't bother.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I just got some (3+) iMessages on my watch but they don't show up on my phone.

Do you mean the notification, or the message itself? It's normal for the notification to kill itself once it is checked on any linked device, but if the message itself isn't in the app on your phone, then something is wrong.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I mean the actual message. I can read it on my watch and presumably respond to it? I didn't try. But it's not showing up on my phone (or MacBook) at all. I just disabled iMessage and turned it back on and well it's been stuck at "activating…" for a couple hours now so I guess that's probably what's wrong.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Can you not put a video file from your computer into the "Videos" section of the photos app? When I do it by syncing a playlist it shows up in music. When I add it to icloud I can't download it. When I add it to google drive I can't download it. When I create a direct link to the mp4 I can't download it. What the gently caress? How is this not possible?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pertplus posted:

Can you not put a video file from your computer into the "Videos" section of the photos app? When I do it by syncing a playlist it shows up in music. When I add it to icloud I can't download it. When I add it to google drive I can't download it. When I create a direct link to the mp4 I can't download it. What the gently caress? How is this not possible?

Videos for playing go in the Videos.app on your phone and are put there via iTunes. Just make sure the media type is correct and it's in a compatible format by maybe using Handbrake. Videos taken by your phone go into photos.app and I don't think you can add things there except with the camera.

An easier way is to just use VLC or nPlayer and use the wifi sync function.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

tuyop posted:

Videos for playing go in the Videos.app on your phone and are put there via iTunes. Just make sure the media type is correct and it's in a compatible format by maybe using Handbrake. Videos taken by your phone go into photos.app and I don't think you can add things there except with the camera.

=[ I have an app (Chromic) on my iPhone that edits videos but only ones in your photos.app

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pertplus posted:

=[ I have an app (Chromic) on my iPhone that edits videos but only ones in your photos.app
Complain to the developer :colbert:

More serious answer, I'm guessing they're using the standard photo/video picker or whatever. In theory they should be able to add the ability to open stuff from other apps with the file picker thing introduced in 8 or 9, if those other apps make themselves available that is. I'm not sure the video players would do that, but general file storage stuff like Documents would work.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
I got a replacement 16gb A1586 from Apple(us) on the 14th. I tried taking it to Verizon to get a No Annual Service Contract SIM despite being dubious about an A1586 being able to work on their network but they seemed to think all was fine. The IMEI and MEID went through their system fine and they activated the SIM but could not make the SIM activate service on the phone. When the phone comes up it says Verizon LTE top left, then switches to saying Verizon, then switches to saying No Service all within a few seconds, then it tries Searching... And goes back to No Service. The sales rep in attempting to get it working spent 1h45m including talking to customer support over the phone, and being escalated to the next level of phone support, and doing an "Erase all settings and data" reset, but had no luck getting it to work. I was told that my case was being referred to their technicians who would remotely access my phone's settings to see if anything was wrong with the settings still, which sounds like technowizardry considering I can't connect to their cellular network. I know the antenna is working because I had another sim in it previously and successfully received a text message with the code needed to attach my iCloud Keychain to the phone when I restored from backup on the 14th when I got it. Is there anything I can do to make this thing work?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Ugh it turns out my 2 year contract is up way earlier than I thought. Now I have the conflict of springing and getting a 6S now or waiting until Fall for the iPhone 7. :negative:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Avocados posted:

Ugh it turns out my 2 year contract is up way earlier than I thought. Now I have the conflict of springing and getting a 6S now or waiting until Fall for the iPhone 7. :negative:

Is your current phone broken or something?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Yeah, I can't think of a reason why you'd re-up your contract now when you can literally spend the same amount to get a better phone in a few months.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LODGE NORTH posted:

Yeah, I can't think of a reason why you'd re-up your contract now when you can literally spend the same amount to get a better phone in a few months.

Well if the forest fire that is the rumor of Apple ditching the auxiliary port on the iPhone 7 ends up being true, there's a decent reason for anyone who uses it on a daily basis.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I just found out albums marked as "compilations" don't show up in "album" view, you need to specifically choose "compilations." Kinda dumb.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just found out albums marked as "compilations" don't show up in "album" view, you need to specifically choose "compilations." Kinda dumb.

Yeah I found this out just last night. It's dumb as poo poo.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

tuyop posted:

Is your current phone broken or something?

Nah. Its a cute green 5C. I just miss the big screen that my old broken galaxy S3 got me used to. I'd like to have that Night Shift mode and the Adblock features that 64 bit phones have.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

enojy posted:

Well if the forest fire that is the rumor of Apple ditching the auxiliary port on the iPhone 7 ends up being true, there's a decent reason for anyone who uses it on a daily basis.

You know they will still sell last year's models

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

WetSpink posted:

I got a replacement 16gb A1586 from Apple(us) on the 14th. I tried taking it to Verizon to get a No Annual Service Contract SIM despite being dubious about an A1586 being able to work on their network but they seemed to think all was fine. The IMEI and MEID went through their system fine and they activated the SIM but could not make the SIM activate service on the phone. When the phone comes up it says Verizon LTE top left, then switches to saying Verizon, then switches to saying No Service all within a few seconds, then it tries Searching... And goes back to No Service. The sales rep in attempting to get it working spent 1h45m including talking to customer support over the phone, and being escalated to the next level of phone support, and doing an "Erase all settings and data" reset, but had no luck getting it to work. I was told that my case was being referred to their technicians who would remotely access my phone's settings to see if anything was wrong with the settings still, which sounds like technowizardry considering I can't connect to their cellular network. I know the antenna is working because I had another sim in it previously and successfully received a text message with the code needed to attach my iCloud Keychain to the phone when I restored from backup on the 14th when I got it. Is there anything I can do to make this thing work?

There is a specific unlocked iPhone model that does not work on Verizon (it's the European version). It can be "activated" in the sales system, but as you saw, it just doesn't stay working when you pop in the SIM. I have the model number at work, I'll try and remember to check today.

Honestly I would take it back to Apple and get them to swap for a different iPhone model. Verizon won't be able to fix the iPhone and they can't/won't swap it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's always been like this hasn't it, even before the Music redesign? As someone with a stack of music on my phone (most of my 64gb is AAC recompressed tunes), including a ton of compilations, I actually like it. I guess they could've had a Various Artist artist name at the bottom but not all compilations are VA and it's just easier to group them on their own.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

7-9 months is not "a few". It's closer to the previous launch than the next.

It's a perfectly reasonable time to use an upgrade if you still have those.

S to non-S updates are generally not huge performance increases.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

tuyop posted:

There is an App that is called "Video Transfer" that will let you do it

http://appshopper.com/productivity/video-transfer-video-and-photo-transfer-app

Found this one day when I wanted to download a huge video and watch it on my phone on the way home from work. Didn't want to use data to stream it, and the app put it in my camera roll.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

WetSpink posted:

Were you on Verizon before? When Apple swaps your phone the activation policy from the old phone moves over to the new one. If your last phone was locked to another network, the new one will be too.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Duckman2008 posted:

There is a specific unlocked iPhone model that does not work on Verizon (it's the European version). It can be "activated" in the sales system, but as you saw, it just doesn't stay working when you pop in the SIM. I have the model number at work, I'll try and remember to check today.

Honestly I would take it back to Apple and get them to swap for a different iPhone model. Verizon won't be able to fix the iPhone and they can't/won't swap it.

He got the wrong one: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm gonna guess that it's not possible to get a European iPhone 6 working on Sprint too? Or is their system different enough that it can be worked out?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm gonna guess that it's not possible to get a European iPhone 6 working on Sprint too? Or is their system different enough that it can be worked out?

Sprint will only activate phones from Sprint.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had a feeling. Kinda kills me that I'm gonna have to pay a few hundred to buy myself out of contract for a phone I can't take to the next carrier! I'll work something out, thanks for the heads up - nice to know now and not in a store!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is there a decent sound EQ app?

I listen to all my music through the Amazon music app or the podcasts app, so the onboard EQ through the Music app doesn't do any good. I'm just looking for an app to run in the background for listening to podcasts and music.

edit: Oh, and iPhone 6, most recent iOS.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I really want to buy a 6s, but stupid Virgin Mobile won't allow you to use sim-free phones. And they're sold out of every model of 64gb iPhone, except for rose gold. The impression I get from Best Buy is that stock shortages have been going on for a long time.

Does anyone have any experience waiting for VM to refresh their stock? Or know of any stores besides BB that sells them? Should I suck it up, put my liberal values where my mouth is, and buy a pink iPhone?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Any particular reason you're stuck on Virgin Mobile? I switched from Virgin to Cricket last fall and Cricket offers way better LTE speeds, at least in my area, and they'll let you bring your own phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Have you considered switching carriers? Surely something like Cricket can't be significantly more expensive, plus you can stop being on Sprint.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

The rear end Stooge posted:

Any particular reason you're stuck on Virgin Mobile? I switched from Virgin to Cricket last fall and Cricket offers way better LTE speeds, at least in my area, and they'll let you bring your own phone.

I'm a filthy & shameful millennial doesn't pay their own phone bill

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm a filthy & shameful millennial doesn't pay their own phone bill

Suggest to whoever does pay your phone bill that they switch to Cricket because it'll be better for them too. Or pay your own phone bill.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Is it still the case that you have to be on one of the big 4 to get in Apple's Upgrade Program? I'm not going to switch from Cricket anytime soon and the UP would be awesome for me.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

The rear end Stooge posted:

Suggest to whoever does pay your phone bill that they switch to Cricket because it'll be better for them too. Or pay your own phone bill.

Or to T-Mo. Actually very cheap and I get great LTE coverage.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Lblitzer posted:

Is it still the case that you have to be on one of the big 4 to get in Apple's Upgrade Program? I'm not going to switch from Cricket anytime soon and the UP would be awesome for me.

Yes and no, if you wanted you can just activate on T-Mobile and pay for a month of the cheapest plan and cancel right away, ends up being like $50.

I went that route because I have a SERO plan on sprint and upgrading is a giant hassle, plus I wanted an unlocked phone.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lblitzer posted:

This plan isn't the upgrade program but apparently will not require activation when you buy it like the annual upgrade one does. If you're near a store I would swing by and ask because the website is not super clear.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

banana allergy posted:

Were you on Verizon before? When Apple swaps your phone the activation policy from the old phone moves over to the new one. If your last phone was locked to another network, the new one will be too.

The original phone was purchased unlocked from Apple, and the replacement was referred to as an unlocked phone by Apple. I did get the original in New Zealand and at the Apple Store in the US where I took it to be replaced they said they couldn't replace it with anything but the same model "legally"

I think based on the LTE providers listed here, http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ for my model A1586 phone that I am not looking hopeful.

The guy working at the Verizon store said he'd never seen anything like it and had worked there for two years, and neither him nor the phone support people were willing to even listen to the model number, even though I begged them to check for sure about it being compatible before I erased all my settings and data.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

e.pilot posted:

Yes and no, if you wanted you can just activate on T-Mobile and pay for a month of the cheapest plan and cancel right away, ends up being like $50.

I went that route because I have a SERO plan on sprint and upgrading is a giant hassle, plus I wanted an unlocked phone.

I'm assuming it has to be "post paid"? Would I be able to use a dummy number if I don't want to go through the hassle of porting numbers? Also wouldn't that lock it to whatever carrier I activate it on?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

7-9 months is not "a few". It's closer to the previous launch than the next.

It's a perfectly reasonable time to use an upgrade if you still have those.

S to non-S updates are generally not huge performance increases.

It's relatively a few considering you'd be in the middle of an upgrade cycle and stuck to a 2 year contract. They can do as they please, but if it's something they need convincing on, they've already made their decision imo :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Biodome posted:

Sprint will only activate phones from Sprint.

This is not correct. Sprint has a Bring Your Own Phone program now.

Eligible devices include: iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s (Verizon only), iPhone 5c (Verizon only), Motorola X Pure Edition (16, 32 & 64 GB – all colors), Nexus 6 (32 & 64 GB – black and white), Nexus 5 (16 & 32 GB – black, white and red), Nexus 5X (all versions), Nexus 6P (all versions), HTC One A9 (Sprint version only), iPad Air 2, iPad Air (Verizon only), iPad mini 4, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2 (Verizon only) and iPad Pro

Considering how few phones from other carriers even support Sprint's unique combination of LTE bands (25, 26 and 41) and CDMA, this list is pretty generous. For example, I don't think the Tmo/AT&T iPhone 6 has Sprint's high frequency "Spark" band 41, yet they still allow you to bring it.