Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You should try reading the manga version of the Marineford War. It's got proper pacing and a shitload of action. The anime completely mangled the pacing.

There's a full color version of the manga that goes up to chapter 721, and the coloring is pretty great barring a few exceptions(the infamous "stone coat" for example). Chapter 550 is when the Marineford War arc starts.

The scene with Ace and Akainu was really well done.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/One-Piece-Digital-Colored-Comics/Chapter-573?id=258050

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Truga posted:

Rewatching OP is great because you can set the pacing to your own preference by simply skipping staring and recaps.

Watching it as it airs is terrible.

This is exactly it. The pacing isn't much worse than it has ever been.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

This is exactly it. The pacing isn't much worse than it has ever been.

I've rewatched One Piece. There is a very clear dividing line between where the pacing is decent to bad and when it goes to complete poo poo, along with the effort the animation team puts in consistently, which is probably at the tail end of Sabaody. Pretending there isn't is silly

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I remember during the Marineford War arc as it aired, there was a bit of a betting pool on what scene would get the majority of the animation budget for that episode. Like the confrontation of the three admirals, or marco vs kizaru, etc

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
As someone who followed OP for almost 10 years, I can say I'm very glad that one pace now exists.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Asuron posted:

I've rewatched One Piece. There is a very clear dividing line between where the pacing is decent to bad and when it goes to complete poo poo, along with the effort the animation team puts in consistently, which is probably at the tail end of Sabaody. Pretending there isn't is silly

So have I and only recently caught up around the middle of the Colosseum. Look at Skypiea and tell me that has good pacing. After Luffy is knocked from the Ark they launch into flashbacks for Norland.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

The monster trio is 2/3 monstrously boring

Uh, Zoro is both cool as hell and probably one of the funniest Strawhats when he has someone to play off of though???

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Uh, Zoro is both cool as hell and probably one of the funniest Strawhats when he has someone to play off of though???

Zoro was cool before the time skip. He went from having an understated, rather cruel sense of humor to being :geno: all the time like Mihawk.

In general, I'd say that while I've liked Luffy and Franky better since the time skip, and Robin and Brook about the same as before, the other five have all gotten worse. Usopp got some cool moments against Sugar, but what led up to it gives the impression that he's somehow gotten more cowardly. Sanji also went back to being an OK character eventually (edit: in the manga), but it took years. Nami still hasn't gotten a real fight; we're clearly supposed to assume she's considerably stronger now than she was at Enies Lobby, but it hasn't been shown very well. Chopper keeps looking useless due to all the hax Devil Fruit-based healing, and has somehow become more naive and panicky than ever.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 17, 2016

KoB
May 1, 2009
Best thing about the time skip is that Franky is way more front and center in the crew which is great cuz he was always the best and now he both is and has a giant robot so hes even better.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

You should try reading the manga version of the Marineford War. It's got proper pacing and a shitload of action. The anime completely mangled the pacing.

There's a full color version of the manga that goes up to chapter 721, and the coloring is pretty great barring a few exceptions(the infamous "stone coat" for example). Chapter 550 is when the Marineford War arc starts.

The scene with Ace and Akainu was really well done.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/One-Piece-Digital-Colored-Comics/Chapter-573?id=258050
Thanks for posting this! I do agree that one piece anime has terrible pacing. The big war was so drawn out it was Dragon Ball Z style. I was just waiting for it to end. But I still enjoy animation over comics, so I'll stick to anime only.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zoro still rules incredibly hard. His scenes in Sabaody just after the timeskip and with Monet were great.

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies
I'm floored that anyone could actually hate Usopp. He's a weak everyman surrounded by monsters, and despite that he's holding his own. Plus he always pulls through when it counts, so what's to hate?

edit: ▼▼That's just his running gag

Fuckshoes fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 18, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't hate him by any means but I am getting a bit tired of him panicking and running before coming back to fight every single time. It felt like the point of the timeskip for him was to make him more courageous. I am not saying to change him totally but he is no different now than before.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

One Piece marathon watch update

I just got to the episode where the theme changes to this version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZylQYE6YmU

I DO NOT LIKE IT. It seems like so far the theme alternates between good > bad > good > bad

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
How's Usopp in the manga compared to the anime? I feel like they're exaggerating him in the anime, any given chance he is wailing

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

So have I and only recently caught up around the middle of the Colosseum. Look at Skypiea and tell me that has good pacing. After Luffy is knocked from the Ark they launch into flashbacks for Norland.

When we say the pacing is poo poo now, we're typically talking about individual episodes being huge wastes of time that drag things out to an unbearable degree, not the actual story pacing being weird because that's taken from the manga, which can also have weird pacing when it feels like it. Think about how quickly the plot moves from one point to the next and how much stuff happens per episode, that's what's hosed up in the new anime episodes, the old ones were downright zippy in comparison, even during their own oddly paced sections ala Norland's flashback.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Suspicious Lump posted:

How's Usopp in the manga compared to the anime? I feel like they're exaggerating him in the anime, any given chance he is wailing

Sucks about the same, though I'm sure the anime adds in 2-3 minutes of cowering when stretching out a chapter to a full episode.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I didn't say it was good all the time. But the difference between then and now is like night and day.

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

One Piece marathon watch update

I just got to the episode where the theme changes to this version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZylQYE6YmU

I DO NOT LIKE IT. It seems like so far the theme alternates between good > bad > good > bad

Awww really? Bon Voyage is one of my favorite openings. I actually miss most of those early openings, they were all about adventure and sailing and really fit One Piece well (except maybe the second one?). Then it turned into generic pop around the end of Enies Lobby and I can't remember even one of them except for Fight Together and We Go!

Asuron fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 18, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Share the world owns

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight
I don't know if it's because I've heard it so much seeing as it's the current opening but I loving love Hard Knock Days.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

His behavior is pretty much the same, but he's about 900% more tolerable because he doesn't sound like an abused raven.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Asuron posted:

I didn't say it was good all the time. But the difference between then and now is like night and day.

Awww really? Bon Voyage is one of my favorite openings. I actually miss most of those early openings, they were all about adventure and sailing and really fit One Piece well (except maybe the second one?). Then it turned into generic pop around the end of Enies Lobby and I can't remember even one of them except for Fight Together and We Go!

Basically all the endings up to Jungle P were good to various degrees, and

Captain Invictus posted:

Share the world owns

But everything after it besides We Go have been pretty generic at best, and sometimes just awful. I still remember the one around Impel Down where the song goes "Yaaaaaaaay!" while prison guards are doing a Nazi like salute, and I was like :wtf:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sapphire did a really, really good cover of Fight Together, just look at the literal translation subs versus the lyrics she's singing, they did a way better job of getting the feeling of the song across in her lyrics than the bad subs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcrGdMmtu-M&hd=1

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Asuron posted:

Yeah I dunno, We Are was a fantastic theme, I will grant you the very beginning part talking about Gold Roger isn't needed after the first dozen or so episodes maybe, but then believe is just a weird pop song that didn't think fit the show at all, Hikari e is a little on the poppy side but the right kind of poppy. Maybe I will get used to Bon Voyage though :shrug:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Julias posted:

But everything after it besides We Go have been pretty generic at best, and sometimes just awful. I still remember the one around Impel Down where the song goes "Yaaaaaaaay!" while prison guards are doing a Nazi like salute, and I was like :wtf:

It's probably coincidental, but it is true that people in Asia don't have the same sensitivities to the Nazis and the Holocaust as people do in the West. Same deal with racism as Americans perceive it, as can be seen with the continued popularity of 'Darkie' toothpaste in Thailand and elsewhere.

Then again, the Impel Down guard uniforms are supposed to be modeled after the Nazi uniform, so uh... *tugs collar nervously*

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Impel Down is literally a city-sized torture and execution chamber, being staffed by not-zis fits it imo

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
How well known is Impel Down by the average Joe in the world of One Piece? It would be kind of awkward to know that your government is operating the equivalent of a Mega Guantanamo Bay Omniplex and be like "Well, as long as it's happening to lovely pirates, I'm okay with it!"

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The only thing most people know about Impel Down is that it exists and it keeps them safe. I don't think anything more than that is public knowledge - the entire place is surrounded in secrets as a safety measure.

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies
They know that Impel Down is one of three major W.G. facilities, and that you only go to Enies Lobby/Impel Down if you're a dangerous world-class criminal. They probably just assume that if you're sent to Impel Down, you must have done something horrible to deserve your fate. Considering the awful things most of the escapees are responsible for since the breakout, they're probably not wrong.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

How well known is Impel Down by the average Joe in the world of One Piece? It would be kind of awkward to know that your government is operating the equivalent of a Mega Guantanamo Bay Omniplex and be like "Well, as long as it's happening to lovely pirates, I'm okay with it!"

No civilian in One Piece has ever shown any level of moral consciousness. I remember they were kind of upset about the Tenryuubi sitting on a slave, but in general, it seems no one cares about anything. Certainly not enough to do anything about it. I really don't think they care about who the government punishes, *certainly* not if they are pirates - the most unanimously and strongly hated people in the world, topping even fishmen.

Hell, the civilians were willing to kill their saviors in this arc just because someone told them to do it. And then when they see that Luffy is beating the guy actively murdering them and needs help, they still don't give a gently caress.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Senor Pink might be one of my favorite baddies since the Foxy Pirates. Giving Franky a direct rival was an amazing choice.

Usopp being the biggest bounty is hilarious are the way he took care of Sugar was well, not worth his existence but it almost made it worth it.

Don Flamingo killed his own dad and younger brother? What the poo poo. I really hope there are flashbacks to him.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just gonna go ahead and say it episode 693 is the best.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

No civilian in One Piece has ever shown any level of moral consciousness. I remember they were kind of upset about the Tenryuubi sitting on a slave, but in general, it seems no one cares about anything. Certainly not enough to do anything about it. I really don't think they care about who the government punishes, *certainly* not if they are pirates - the most unanimously and strongly hated people in the world, topping even fishmen.

Hell, the civilians were willing to kill their saviors in this arc just because someone told them to do it. And then when they see that Luffy is beating the guy actively murdering them and needs help, they still don't give a gently caress.

this isnt quite true. the non powered humans know the navy employs devil fruit users and pirates on a regular basis have devil fruit users amongst their members they also know those people are not to be trifled with under immediate threat of death. the people have been subjugated by pirates which is why most towns are happy when the marines are there to help. there have been several times where the townspeople had their own opinions of matters. (Arlong park citizens, Water 7 citizens, Zoa citizens)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
e: Never mind, just double-checked the manga.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 21, 2016

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Welp, another episode where pretty much nothing happened. I'm worried that my 10 episode joke prediction may turn out to be correct.

Apparently loving everyone has armament haki now too.

Also a couple of random thoughts (spoiler tagged for people who haven't caught up yet):

If the factory's made out of sea stone and is immune to the birdcage, why not just put people inside the factory to be safe?

Alternately, why don't they just get Mansherry to heal up Law and get him to teleport everyone out of the birdcage?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Yeah, there's some plot holes I'm noticing on a re-read/watch. This arc is dragged on far too long, it deflates the intended tension and could have really been made more concise. It's running into the whole "Namek's gonna blow up in 5 minutes!" issue.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Yeah, there's some plot holes I'm noticing on a re-read/watch. This arc is dragged on far too long, it deflates the intended tension and could have really been made more concise. It's running into the whole "Namek's gonna blow up in 5 minutes!" issue.

It drags in the manga, too. It must be insane in the Anime.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There is a key thing Oda could have excised to solve the pacing problem but sadly kept it in

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Captain Invictus posted:

There is a key thing Oda could have excised to solve the pacing problem but sadly kept it in

Which key thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Doflamingo just not knowing when to quit